0929: "Speculation"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

0929: "Speculation"

Postby uiri » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:08 am UTC

Title-text: "'I was pretty good at skeet shooting, but was eventually kicked off the range for catching the clay pigeons in a net and dispatching them execution-style.'"

I laughed because of the non-sequitur but it isn't really that good. Google+ seems pretty dead among my circle of friends but it'll take off eventually.

Also, am I doing it right?

EDIT: Forgot the quotes in the title. Haha. YOU ALSO FORGOT THE FIRST ZERO FOR SHAME MAY YOUR FAMILY EVER BE CURSED ~~fatstaff
Last edited by Felstaff on Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:41 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Dude forgot the zero. Who does that? I mean, seriously? Up until comic 1000, they all start with zero. Why? *smack* THAT'S WHY
Proud User of Debian
uiri

Re: 929: Speculation

Postby KShrike » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:10 am UTC

You are doing it better than my fail. Hehe
On 10/10/10, My Little Pony started to appeal to adult males. Ya rly!
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!
KShrike

Re: 929: "Speculation"

Postby Dinoguy1000 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:19 am UTC

Okay, someone please explain just how BHG is supposed to tie into this one, I'm not getting the joke here.

Speaking of, where was he keeping that crossbow? Stick figures don't have the girth to hide something like that... o_O
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck?

How about a wouldchuck?
Dinoguy1000

Postby vortighast » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:21 am UTC

BHG's response doesn't seem to coincide with the question...
vortighast

Postby player_03 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:22 am UTC

Yeah, I don't really get the joke, either.

Dinoguy1000 wrote:Speaking of, where was he keeping that crossbow? Stick figures don't have the girth to hide something like that... o_O

It might fit under his hat, but that would be uncomfortable...

I think the idea is that they're normal people with normal clothes and Randall just doesn't bother to draw them that way.
player_03

Postby KShrike » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:27 am UTC

The Black Hat Guy is an anti-social "classhole". He couldn't care less about social networking, since in most comics he tends to screw others over.
Therefore, it is safe to assume his shooting of the ball is basically him saying "Shut up, nobody cares! And stop bothering me. I'm texting!"

First line edited for clarity.
Last edited by KShrike on Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:54 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!
KShrike

Postby lingomaniac88 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:32 am UTC

Dinoguy1000 wrote:Speaking of, where was he keeping that crossbow? Stick figures don't have the girth to hide something like that... o_O

Here's your answer.
WARNING: Clicking on the above link may result in hours of lost productivity. I take no responsibility for any work you should have gotten done.
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt
lingomaniac88

Postby jpk » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:33 am UTC

I'd like to think he's using a bit of weirdness to make fun of people who go on about the latest offerings from google as though it could possibly matter to them, but I don't know if even I'd buy that one.
Maybe he just couldn't come up with a punchline. Cancer's a bitch, he's got stuff on his mind. Happens.
jpk

Postby jpk » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:37 am UTC

KShrike wrote:I'm just going to assume that the black hat guy is anti-social. He couldn't care less about social networking sites.

Is there anything in the world more thoroughly antisocial than a social networking site? In a given day, you have a limited amount of time that you could be either talking to people or doing things that are worth talking to people about - you're going to spend it on facebook? Yeah, whatever. Pardon me while I fuck off and find someone who's interested in people...
jpk

Postby KShrike » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:40 am UTC

Ok, I have a new unrelated question.

What in the hey happened to all the regulars? Real life catch up with them? Got furious at Randall or something?

Black hat guy should hunt them down....
wait a second... is this the first comic we see him using his crossbow? We know he had one in http://xkcd.com/190/ but it seems like (if I remember correctly) that he never used it until now (that we have seen).
Or maybe I'm just senile and need to go read through 1-929 again. But I have no time for that, and I don't feel like it.

And jpk, I'm not really sure if you are trolling or not...
KShrike

Postby Fixblor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:44 am UTC

Moral of the story:
Do your own thing.
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)
Fixblor

Postby joee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:44 am UTC

How is the ball still inflated with a arrow through it?
Yes, this is seriously the first thing that went through my mind

Also hi glasnt
Hi glasnt.
joee

Postby Fixblor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:47 am UTC

joee wrote:How is the ball still inflated with a arrow through it?

Dissect a basketball, if you ever get a chance.
Last edited by Count Modulus on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:5l am UTC, edited 13 times in total.
06:23, 18 April 2011 SmackBot (talk | contribs) m (90,899 bytes) (Dated {{Dubious}} x 153. (Build p609)) (undo)
Fixblor

Postby Jared the Great » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:47 am UTC

joee wrote:How is the ball still inflated with a arrow through it?

Both holes are covered. It's like the quarrel never entered. The real question is why the quarrel got stuck in it.

Also what the guy above me said. Basketballs aren't like balloons.
Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium
Spoiler:
Batman!
Jared the Great

Postby KShrike » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:51 am UTC

Like I said when I attempted to make the thread, I couldn't care less if all my friends switch.
Heck, I feel like I had too many friends on Facebook anyway (while others had WAY too many).
The G+ circle feature is FAR more superior. But I couldn't care less.
If people switch, they switch. If they stay on Facebook, they stay on Facebook.

If you like G+ so much and really badly want everypony to switch, then just hope that Facebook does a kiss of death so drastic that they completely shun Facebook.
Since that will never happen, then live with what we call reality.

But I have high hopes for G+.
KShrike

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:57 am UTC

Maybe G+ needs more time and enough general dissatisfaction with FB for people to want to move there or maybe JUST maybe, some people are getting weary about these social networks in general, which is why they don't wanna join.
Last edited by Plasma Mongoose on Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:50 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"
Plasma Mongoose

Postby jpk » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:05 am UTC

KShrike wrote:Since that will never happen, then live with what we call reality.
But I have high hopes for G+.

I saw what you did there... I'll leave this to you, you're better at it than I am...
jpk

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:05 am UTC

Two features that people seem to want on G+ are events (maybe integrated in Google Calendar) and some wall-thing. I'd also like the olde-style FB groups implemented somehow.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.
cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby Steeler » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:07 am UTC

jpk wrote:Is there anything in the world more thoroughly antisocial than a social networking site? In a given day, you have a limited amount of time that you could be either talking to people or doing things that are worth talking to people about - you're going to spend it on facebook? Yeah, whatever. Pardon me while I fuck off and find someone who's interested in people...
You remind me very much of modern stand-up comedians.
"What would happen if did you first know that do I say tell me about your feelings about him that you came to me the real reason explain anything else that you came to me?"
-Emacs Psychiatrist upon repeated presses of the enter key
Steeler

Postby Fixblor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:09 am UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:Maybe G+ needs more time and enough general dissatisfaction with FB for people to want to move there or maybe JUST maybe, some people are getting weary about these social networks in general, which is why they don't wanna join.

I may be rare here ... but I still don't have a facebook account and was an early adopter for Google+ (since June).
So moving wasn't a question, I deleted my my myspace account back in 2007, and had been social-network-less until G+.

Question: Does facebook offer email? Cause gmail is pretty well integrated with G+ from what I've seen. And, isn't gmail one of the top free email providers?
Seems like that should factor into assessments about G+'s longevity.
It is still in "beta".

:EDIT:
Capitalization update! Now available in syntax correct!
Last edited by Fixblor on Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:59 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Fixblor

Postby TaylorP » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:13 am UTC

Fixblor wrote:Dissect a basketball, if you ever get a chance.

I've opened up a soccer ball before, but never a basketball. I assume its somewhat similar, but for some reason I can't find any images of it on the net.
TaylorP

Postby jpk » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:16 am UTC

Steeler wrote:
jpk wrote:Is there anything in the world more thoroughly antisocial than a social networking site? In a given day, you have a limited amount of time that you could be either talking to people or doing things that are worth talking to people about - you're going to spend it on facebook? Yeah, whatever. Pardon me while I fuck off and find someone who's interested in people...
You remind me very much of modern stand-up comedians.

Thanks, I think. It wasn't meant to be funny, but I'll take it.

(and since you set me up to offer a plug, if you mean someone like Marcus Brigstocke (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEnb2EFtSow) then thanks very much indeed!)
jpk

Postby Fixblor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:21 am UTC

TaylorP wrote:I've opened up a soccer ball before, but never a basketball. I assume its somewhat similar, but for some reason I can't find any images of it on the net.

It's made of about one centimeter thick rubber-type material. So, if you just deflate it, it may distort and get lumpy ... but it generally holds its shape.

Soccer balls on the other hand can be made of a similar style material to the basketball, or like the one I had, made of stitched leather patches with a thin rubber interior to hold the air.
The inner rubber on my old soccer ball was about as thick as an inner-tube on a bicycle.

Now that wouldn't hold its shape if pierced with a crossbow bolt ... of course, for the most part, the leather patches would.
Fixblor

Postby CorruptUser » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:26 am UTC

Randall must really want us to join Google+. Not the first comic about it.

Personally, I don't want Google to have any more power over me than it already does. On the other hand, I don't want Mark Zuckerberg to have any more power over me than he does. Gah! Which to choose?
CorruptUser

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:29 am UTC

That was unexpected. Also, unfunny.
ImagePlay the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

GAZEBO OINTMENT HARPSICHORD CREDENZA BUNGALOW
Eternal Density

Postby aplarsen » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:29 am UTC

Dinoguy1000 wrote:Okay, someone please explain just how BHG is supposed to tie into this one, I'm not getting the joke here.

Speaking of, where was he keeping that crossbow? Stick figures don't have the girth to hide something like that... o_O
The guy tosses the ball to BHG. Instead of joining in on the game by catching the ball, he whips out the crossbow and shoots it. It's only funny because of the last panel. They had been having a conversation about getting on board with something hip and new, and BHG is so resistant to joining something that he won't even catch a ball. Catching a ball is a rather trivial act, and BHG won't even do it. That's how much he likes to stir it up.
aplarsen

Postby jpk » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:36 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Randall must really want us to join Google+. Not the first comic about it.

Personally, I don't want Google to have any more power over me than it already does. On the other hand, I don't want Mark Zuckerberg to have any more power over me than he does. Gah! Which to choose?

You could try... and I know this is going to sound weird, but consider it... you could try.... neither.

Nah, that would never work. People couldn't possibly live without a social networking site. It would be like, I don't know, living your life or something.
jpk

Postby KShrike » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:45 am UTC

Another alternate explanation would be that since Randal has switched to G+, he's feeling awful lonely.

Poor colt...
KShrike

Postby Gamer_2k4 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:23 am UTC

KShrike wrote:And jpk, I'm not really sure if you are trolling or not...

He's not. As I said in a comment on xkcdsucks, Randall seems to have precluded both "being social" and "having a life" from the definition of "social life." Thing is, I'm pretty sure there are studies that have determined that the quality of your actual social life is inversely proportional to the amount of friends you have on social networking sites. Is it so surprising? The less you actually interact with people, the less socially adept you'll be.

Also, Rainbow Sparkle, chill out with the pony stuff.
Gamer_2k4

Postby xorsyst » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:36 am UTC

I'd join google+, but it doesn't work for apps accounts. :(
xorsyst

Postby TiLt » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:08 am UTC

How long do you think that G+ will stay in beta for? Gmail had a fairly good run.
Regarding the comic; Has BHG got special crossbow training or something? Being able to shoot a basketball, midair, using a crossbow, without looking, scares me a little. Especially when I know what else he is capable of doing.
Guns and Banjos, odd band.
TiLt

Location: North of where all of the convicts got shipped to from Old England Town

Postby Isaac » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:11 am UTC

jpk wrote:
CorruptUser wrote:Randall must really want us to join Google+. Not the first comic about it.

You could try... and I know this is going to sound weird, but consider it... you could try.... neither.

Nah, that would never work. People couldn't possibly live without a social networking site. It would be like, I don't know, living your life or something.

I am slowly and hopefully surely moving in that direction..... looking at the net, phones, postal mail, etc all more and more as being important pieces of information infrastructure useful for planning, organizing and logistics but not much more.

but I really just came here to link this
Isaac

Postby thelastholdout » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:25 am UTC

Oh, Black Hat Guy, it's been too long. Call me. <3
thelastholdout

Postby feyayeruka » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:30 am UTC

wow, 2 G+ comics in the same month!

I must be the only one, but what I got from it was BHG using an archaic device (crossbow (and yes, I am aware of them still being in present-day use)) in the middle of a modern sport (basketball), overlapped with a discussion of people switching from an old platform (Facebook) to a modern one (G+). And just plain old BHG being BHG. And then there's the *catch*. He won't "catch on" to Google+, he thinks it won't catch on (or doesn't care/ wants to sabotage the catching thereof), and demonstrates this by not catching the ball. not only not catching it, but shooting it down!

at least... that's what I got as the joke. :o
feyayeruka

Postby mrrix32 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:31 am UTC

Why are people obsessing that not all their friends have migrated to G+ yet? It's going to take time to get a user base and Google is doing fantastically at that.

As for who I'd rather give my data to:
Facebook takes it to make money and won't give it back.
Google takes it, makes your web experience better (makes money) and lets you take it at anytime.
mrrix32

Postby arthurd006_5 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:41 am UTC

jpk wrote:Pardon me while I fuck off and find someone who's interested in people...

You may need to break them out of the cycle of overworking in order to buy gifts for their children:
http://transcripts-with-permission-nz01.blogspot.com/2011/07/selves-as-objects-of-consumption_02.html#p2-10:21
arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:53 am UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:... or maybe JUST maybe, some people are getting weary about these social networks in general, which is why they don't wanna join.

I was two weeks away from joining Facebook when the first privacy scandal blew up. I am now confident that I never will.

I was contemplating joining G+ when I came across the filter bubble:
http://www.thersa.org/rss/rsa-audio/
http://www.thersa.org/__data/assets/file/0006/407355/20110623EliPariser.mp3
where Google guesses what I was looking for, and avoids showing things that will broaden me.

Then someone, who approved of it, accidentally told me that joining G+ will make the filter bubble more severe.

I haven't decided what to do about it yet, but I've temporarily changed search-engine to DuckDuckGo..
arthurd006_5

Postby Sambo » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:59 am UTC

xorsyst wrote:I'd join google+, but it doesn't work for apps accounts. :(

I have the same issue. Support us please Google :(
Sambo

Postby Isaac » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:01 am UTC

arthurd006_5 wrote:I haven't decided what to do about it yet, but I've temporarily changed search-engine to DuckDuckGo..

I use Scroogle.org, it's a google proxy so it is a pretty easy transition.
Isaac

Postby nigenet » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:43 am UTC

He kept it in his desk drawer, obviously ;-) http://xkcd.com/564
"Your mother ate my dog!"
"Not all of him..."
nigenet

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads