0931: "Lanes"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Spectrum

Re: 0931: "Lanes"

Postby Spectrum » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

(I haven't had had the time to read the rest of the comments, so my apologies if this point has been made already.)

At some point in middle age, one realizes that no matter what your health, the rest of your life looks like the last frame, waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Wren11

Postby Wren11 » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

I read this comic on Friday and was struck by how beautiful and frustratingly true it was. On Saturday I found out that my mom's breast cancer had metastasized, swerving her into that far right lane.

For Randall and all those who are going through this or loving someone who are going through this, I know there aren't any words that haven't been said or that can make the bad dream suddenly go away. But still know that I think of all of the great anonymous you and hope for moments of peace and comfort for all of you.

Thank you so much for those of you on this forum who are working either in research or dealing with the (too) many patients that pass through their doors. You gave me an extra 10 years with my mom when she beat it the first time. And I'll keep hoping that you'll still give us more time.

schmaniel

Postby schmaniel » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:32 pm UTC

I'll go ahead and add another long and boring personal story to the pile...

In 2002, at the age of 19, I was diagnosed with brain cancer; a tennis-ball-sized brain tumor to be more precise. It was successfully removed after a 6-hour awake craniotomy, but it was malignant (oligodendroglioma). They put me through radiation therapy for 7 weeks, which was successful in "sterilizing" the remaining cancer cells; then they started me on chemo, but a couple weeks into the process stopped after deciding that it would be more effective when the cancer was active. I got extraordinarily lucky with the type of brain cancer I got. There's only a fraction of a percent of a chance that it will kill me... however it will come back. I'm grateful for the luck, but my fear of death is replaced by a fear of chaos. Fear that once again a cancer diagnosis will throw my life into upheaval.

I moved to Texas when I was 7, hated it for over a decade, and decided to go to college far, far away; I went to Long Island. Two weeks into my first semester, two weeks after my 19th birthday, I went to a neurologist about a strange weakness in my right leg, and an MRI that same day confirmed I had a large brain tumor. That night I was on a plane back to Texas to go to MD Anderson (the best of the best I was told). The surgery left me temporarily paralyzed, the radiation drained me of all energy, and yet I was so desperate to escape Texas that I returned to Hofstra for the Spring semester, while undergoing chemo. Yeah, that was a bad idea. Second attempt failed as well and I gave up and resigned myself to life in Texas.

I'll join in the chorus of "Fuck cancer", but not just for the physical effects, the deaths, the surgeries, the sickness and weakness of chemo and radiation, but also for its effect on normalcy.

Fuck cancer for changing an afternoon's plans from "running errands and getting shit done" to "lying perfectly still as beams of radiation precisely target cancer cells within your body". Fuck cancer for messing up your hair that was at just the right length where you could style it for maximum sexiness. Fuck cancer for eating up all your sick days at work and denying you a trip to SDCC. Fuck cancer for sending you into a spiral of cancer research and learning all the ways it can go wrong, gnawing away at your need for hope and optimism. Most of all, fuck cancer for destroying the illusion of safety from "worst case scenarios".

I first went to a normal physician to check on the weakness in my right leg. He literally gave me a "best case/worst case scenario" and his worst case was a brain tumor, then I went to the neurologist who confirmed it.

Although, I did get a good t-shirt out of it. It says "I had a brain tumor removed, what's your excuse?"

flamewise

Postby flamewise » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:47 pm UTC

I'm in the "Fuck Cancer" lane.

I have more important things to do than worry about how I'll die, and whether it starts with a bone ache or a loud noise or tomorrow or in twenty years: I'll deal with it once I'm there.

It's a magical world out there - let's go exploring!

PS: Sorry if I managed to offend more people with an overly optimistic world-view, but seeing as how we're all going to die - maybe even me - I figure it's the best way to deal with it.

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:25 pm UTC

Great and thoughtful comments from many of you. Randal, you have a lot of people here for you.

Last year, Americans watched 500 billion hours of television, 2 trillion hours worldwide. According to a study in the 2011 June 15 JAMA, the risks of an additional 2 hours a day of television watching for diabetes, heart disease, and all cause mortality are:
    176 cases of type 2 diabetes
    38 cases of fatal cardiovascular disease
    104 deaths for all-cause mortality
... per 100,000 individuals per year. cite: JAMA. 2011;305(23):2448-2335

Comparing to the numbers for smoking, the death risk from an hour of television is about the same as a pack of cigarettes. The average American watches 5 hours of TV a day.

Imagine a future where, instead of watching television, we learned, earned, gardened, walked, enjoyed each other's company, and helped our families and communities. Some of us might research cancer and cures, like Danny Hillis is doing with proteomics: http://www.ted.com/talks/danny_hillis_two_frontiers_of_cancer_treatment.html

Can you imagine how fast we could really, truely, and forever FUCK CANCER if the world spent an extra 100 billion hours a year helping researchers (with 1900 billion hours devoted to improving our lives in every other way)?

While my heart goes out to Randal and his fiance, and to all those here who are now confronting this desease, wouldn't it be grand if someday, a few years from now, we could assure you that you would never have to worry about cancer, ever again? For the rest of you, turn off the TV tonight, go to the library, and get a book on biology or medical informatics. Or visit a neighbor with cancer - chances are there is one within a 5 minute walk. Or go outside, look at the stars, and appreciate the hour you have to do so. Don't waste the hours you are so fortunate to have, when so many are fighting for just one more.

jbgryphon

Postby jbgryphon » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:56 pm UTC

For what it's work, Men Against Breast Cancer is having a conference in Atlanta August 12-14th for men who are supporting a breast cancer patient. It's short notice, but if anyone is interested, post. I'd post the link, but it would get blocked.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:45 am UTC

keithl wrote:Comparing to the numbers for smoking, the death risk from an hour of television is about the same as a pack of cigarettes. The average American watches 5 hours of TV a day.
The difference, of course, is that one JAMA meta-analysis doesn't even remotely establish a causal connection as robust as the one that exists between smoking and the associated mortality risk...
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:50 am UTC

Does anyone have statistical data on the correlation between being alive and mortality? I know that correlation does not imply causation but I suspect there's a link.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Beardhammer

Re: 931: Lanes

Postby Beardhammer » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:50 am UTC

Tyrannosaur wrote:
Beardhammer wrote:
Tyrannosaur wrote::(

nobody's highway goes forever.

Yeah but some people get to go out in a big way by slamming into a divider at 120 mph, while most everyone else just eventually runs out of gas since the exits don't go anywhere but right back into the freeway.

Which would you rather?

Slam into a bridge pylon at 120 mph during a high-speed police chase once the news choppers start showing up. Preferably on live TV, though I understand "live" is really like ten seconds slow so they can cut stuff like that out (lol, nipple slips.)

I don't see the point in worrying about death or even being very concerned about it. Death happens. Deal with it.

RogerB

Postby RogerB » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:29 pm UTC

KingBobson wrote:After reading this, I, being the person I am, decided to see what the chances of survival are for the author's fiancée...

I had leukaemia 14 years ago and I remember starting to research it on the internet and coming upon a page with detailed statistics of exactly how likely I was to die and deciding I didn't want to know and not looking any further.

So, KingBobson could I ask you to edit your post and put the actual statistics under a spoiler button, so that if Randall's fiancée has decided the same she doesn't accidentally stumble across the actual numbers whilst reading this. Thanks.

Incidentally, on the "being cured" topic I've been very lucky. I decided I was cured when I was told my chances of a relapse were now about the same as anyone else's chances of getting leukaemia in the first place. Again, if I misunderstood this, or imagined it, I don't want to know.

I've also just discovered that I've forgotten how to spell "leukaemia" if that doesn't mean I'm cured then I don't know what does.

My [prayers | thoughts] and sympathies to all those who haven't been as lucky as me.

cjquines

Postby cjquines » Tue Aug 02, 2011 12:33 pm UTC

Since the roads can also escape, blame chemotherapy!

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Tue Aug 02, 2011 2:49 pm UTC

RogerB wrote:could I ask you to edit your post and put the actual statistics under a spoiler button, so that if Randall's fiancée has decided the same she doesn't accidentally stumble across the actual numbers whilst reading this. Thanks.
I'm pretty sure they already know the statistics, on account of that being the information the last panel of the comic presents.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

furyguitar

Postby furyguitar » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:19 pm UTC

My father's side of the family has been ravaged by cancer. He was one of 6 children - 3 boys, 3 girls. Only the boys remain. Thankfully, he has not been hit with anything yet, but one of his brothers is battling as well. That's for out 6 children to get some kind of cancer. His father had leukemia.

So let me join in the resounding chorus of, "Fuck cancer." Fuck it in the face. Then flip it over and fuck it again.

RogerB

Postby RogerB » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:47 pm UTC

gmalivuk wrote:
RogerB wrote:could I ask you to edit your post and put the actual statistics under a spoiler button, so that if Randall's fiancée has decided the same she doesn't accidentally stumble across the actual numbers whilst reading this. Thanks.
I'm pretty sure they already know the statistics, on account of that being the information the last panel of the comic presents.

Didn't quite think that through did I? I was just remembering the way I felt at the time.

BlitzGirl
Location: Both Present and Past...... Schizoblitz: 115/2601 NP

Postby BlitzGirl » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:41 am UTC

jpk wrote:
Sir_Read-a-Lot wrote:I was rereading the comic and a slightly improper thought rose into my head:
"Merge left! Merge left! Merge left!"

Perhaps the slogan "Merge Left" would be a suitable alternative to "Fuck Cancer". Combined with the lower "lanes" panel, it would certainly invite some conversation.

I like the idea...simple, no bleeping required. "Merge Left" does reminds me somewhat of the awful MSNBC motto, "Lean Forward." However it could just be I've gotten a recent overdose of U.S. political news. That really can't be any good for your health.

(Obligatory Jon Stewart clip: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-october-11-2010/msnbc-left-behind )
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:28 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
jpk wrote:
Sir_Read-a-Lot wrote:I was rereading the comic and a slightly improper thought rose into my head:
"Merge left! Merge left! Merge left!"

Perhaps the slogan "Merge Left" would be a suitable alternative to "Fuck Cancer". Combined with the lower "lanes" panel, it would certainly invite some conversation.

I like the idea...simple, no bleeping required. "Merge Left" does reminds me somewhat of the awful MSNBC motto, "Lean Forward." However it could just be I've gotten a recent overdose of U.S. political news. That really can't be any good for your health.

(Obligatory Jon Stewart clip: http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/mon-october-11-2010/msnbc-left-behind )

I was delighted when I learned that I can actually "vote negative." Up to this point I've just refused to vote. But now I've learned I can go out and and deliberately sandbag the worst shitbag out of the parade of shitbags? Oh yeah, 2012's gonna be fun.

And, yeah, I actually like the idea of using "Merge Left" as the name for the initiative or whatever. It'd be mildly confusing without the visual aid, though.

Ley

Postby Ley » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:14 am UTC

the thing that really gets to me is the insurance companies. men diagnosed with breast cancer aren't covered, so they have to buy their own chemotherapy. our patient's protocol is approximately two thousand dollars per treatment. and yes, there are men with breast cancer.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:25 am UTC

Ley wrote:the thing that really gets to me is the insurance companies. men diagnosed with breast cancer aren't covered, so they have to buy their own chemotherapy. our patient's protocol is approximately two thousand dollars per treatment. and yes, there are men with breast cancer.

All about numbers, really. I don't really have major problems with them, business is business, but I would like it if we could rely on the politicians that supposedly represent us to represent the people at large instead of the corporations that are funding their campaigns :P

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:45 am UTC

If only there was some way in which everyone could just pay an amount of money into the healthcare industry, so those that need medical help can do so without having to pay insurmountable fees!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:47 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:If only there was some way in which everyone could just pay an amount of money into the healthcare industry, so those that need medical help can do so without having to pay insurmountable fees!

But then how will the insurance companies make embarassing amounts of money? They'd only be able to make decent amounts of money if they did that :(

ComicMath

Postby ComicMath » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:38 pm UTC

First off this is an amazing and touching comic. Thank you to those who shared their personal experiences with cancer. You guys have an amazingly positive attitude.

I've seen and supported my grandmother and grandfather on these roads. My grandfather had lung cancer and was told he had a year max but beat the odds and ended up having 7 before passing including a bunch of really good ones. My grandmother had pancreatic cancer and was on a road that veered off quickly. Either way though, cancer sucks.

I'm going to be doing the Livestrong Philly century ride in a few weeks. It doesn't seem like much when I think about it in these terms, but its something at least.

addams

Postby addams » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:31 pm UTC

flamewise wrote:I'm in the "Fuck Cancer" lane.

I have more important things to do than worry about how I'll die, and whether it starts with a bone ache or a loud noise or tomorrow or in twenty years: I'll deal with it once I'm there.

It's a magical world out there - let's go exploring!

PS: Sorry if I managed to offend more people with an overly optimistic world-view, but seeing as how we're all going to die - maybe even me - I figure it's the best way to deal with it.

I am not offended. I want to go with you. It only takes me a few minutes to get my hiking boots on.
It is so much more fun to go exploring with a friend. If we do it right we will both be running a risk of the wind blowing us off a cliff. The numbers change quickly while out exploring in a magical world.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:37 pm UTC

Whatever slogan is used, be sure to put a period after every word, as is the common parlance.

"Fuck. Cancer."

Actually, that reads more like a poorly delivered diagnosis.

jpk

Postby jpk » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:46 pm UTC

Beardhammer wrote:And, yeah, I actually like the idea of using "Merge Left" as the name for the initiative or whatever. It'd be mildly confusing without the visual aid, though.

Yes it would - for a little while. A pink ribbon didn't mean "I support research towards a breast cancer cure" until someone made the connection happen.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:13 pm UTC

For the record, I don't like "Merge left". In the context of the comic, it implies fighting to stay alive after diagnosis rather than trying to find a cure.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:14 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:For the record, I don't like "Merge left". In the context of the comic, it implies fighting to stay alive after diagnosis rather than trying to find a cure.

There's more money in treatments than there is in cures, and spending 20 years searching for a cure does nothing to help the people fighting it now.

rrrebo

Postby rrrebo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:39 pm UTC

Just wanted to say that this comic really touched a lot of my friends who are dealing with similar issues. Thanks for that, and fight the good fight. We're with you both.

aurorasparkle

Postby aurorasparkle » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:21 pm UTC

My partner and myself cannot have babies. We went through a three year process of hope and sadness. Why we cannot have babies, nobody can say. Every treatment only changes probabilities. And if ever somebody tells me again in any context that "there is an x% chance of ... for me to ...", I will be reminded that probability means nothing to me as an individual.

If I used your comic for the analogy, each line leaving the main street would mean giving birth to a healthy child.
Let's have the strength to follow the main street and keep enjoying life as long as we can.

TodayIsTomorrow

Postby TodayIsTomorrow » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:49 pm UTC

Lost my mom to cancer a couple months ago. Breast cancer that she'd been fighting and had recurred four times. Fifth time got her after metastisizing to, well, everywhere. Thankfully or not depending on how you look at it, the one that got her was a pea sized fast growing tumor in her brainstem. She just passed out and never woke up. Fifteen years of fighting, chemo, radiation and she smiled through it all.

One more voice to the chant, fuck cancer.
Freedom is letting go of that which, truly, does not matter.

morpcat

Postby morpcat » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:55 pm UTC

addams wrote:I am not offended. I want to go with you. It only takes me a few minutes to get my hiking boots on.
It is so much more fun to go exploring with a friend. If we do it right we will both be running a risk of the wind blowing us off a cliff. The numbers change quickly while out exploring in a magical world.

Speaking of getting your hiking boots on, and sorry to hijack slightly, but seeing as everyone else is doing I'd like to share my story.

In November my best friend and I will quite literally be getting our hiking boots on and putting our best feet forward to try and raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support, an ambitious UK-based charity that seeks to provide care to cancer patients where our failing NHS system cannot. My uncle passed away from cancer in April after managing to live past his prognosis by over a year. His initial diagnosis came as a massive shock, particular to his sister (my mother), and to his mother, and it goes without saying that his death was a terrible blow to our family.

So what's this got to do with hiking boots? Well, my friend Jim and I have decided to set out on a little expedition, and are planning to cross Iceland on foot from the north coast to the south coast - completely unsupported and carrying all the provisions we need for a 300km trek through polar conditions. To top it off, at the end of the journey we've set ourselves the goal of climbing to the top of Iceland's highest mountain - thus we've dubbed our expedition "Iceland - Highs and Lows".

We're trying to raise £10,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support, but at the moment we're still a long way off! I don't want to be so contentious as to post a link (that feels a lot like free advertising), but I will say that if you Google the expedition name you'll find all the relevant pages if you would like to help!

I don't think I really appreciated the mental side of dealing with cancer and treatment until seeing this comic. As usual Randall has taken quite a complex concept and illustrated it quite remarkably. As many others have said, it's really touching and certainly hits home the message. One more here for 'Fuck Cancer'.

weezie419

Postby weezie419 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:55 pm UTC

I like the last panel. My mother, sisters, and I all have a tattoo on our foot expressing that exact sentiment :-) I don't always like having an expletive idelibly inked on my person, but it's something most people agree with lol

ElCarl

Postby ElCarl » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:57 am UTC

My mum got breast cancer years ago, had her course of chemo, and it went well.
I actually feel pretty bad that since that happened when I was quite small, so I didn't really understand what was going on - and I haven't really asked/been told what the deal is...
This comic is brilliant... To be honest, it captures the whole sense of overwhelmingness and disorientation really well...

IanQuigley

Re: 931: Lanes

Postby IanQuigley » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

joee wrote:Is the 10 year prognosis surviving 10 years or getting to 10 years without getting more tumors?

I always thought prognosis was "still being alive after 10 years". Also (depending on the cancer) 60% is very low survival rate. I had cancer twice, with 10 year survival rates of 90% and 95%. I really can't be arsed working out the union of those two. I'm alive today right :)

DavidTriphon

Postby DavidTriphon » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:44 am UTC

I wish we could all just take the carpool lane. Oh wait, we can if we support each other through these kind of things. I guess you could even make some kind of symbol of it.

bradbenjamin

Postby bradbenjamin » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:10 pm UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cancer_stem_cell

I work for an oncology research firm, and breast cancer is one of the most well researched and understood cancers around. It's also one of the most persistent. However, while it's still a theory, all signs point to the existence of "cancer stem cells" which are often left behind once tumors are removed by conventional cancer treatment methods. There are numerous studies to understand and combat these CSCs so that once you beat cancer, you beat it for good.

I guess my point is, be hopeful randall, things are getting better. The realist in you might be forcing you to prepare for the worst, but the realist in me knows that this can be beat. Good luck, my thoughts are with you.

blueroses67

Re: 0931: Lanes

Postby blueroses67 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:25 am UTC

scottgoblue314 wrote:Lastly, Randall, if you're reading this, rest assured that somewhere is at least one fan is working day and night to make cell-scanning a reality, Innerspace-style if necessary.

I'm late on this one...but yes. Well, someone in my department is. And the grad student next door isn't from that lab, but is using it, and says it works. Look up "MGH CTC chip".

This lets you check the blood for residual tumor cells - so you could treat with chemo/radiation/etc until these cells go away, and not just guess when you've done enough. Which is nice. Once those little bastards have settled down, though, we can't disassemble the person cell-by-cell to get them out, and there's no way to be sure they're all gone.

As someone who's spent a few years in a cancer lab, I can say that the highway is, if anything, an understatement. There are hundreds of lanes - that we know about - and they're all alive. They take evasive measures when you try to block the exits. Nobody thought it would be this hard; we're a good 50+ years into a ten-year "war on cancer".

(We don't want to be this bad at it, either. Many of us pick a disease that we've got a personal beef with; I worked on the cancer that took a shot at my dad. And if I didn't have a grudge before, I saw a lot of white buckets with the names and birth dates of people we couldn't help...I sure have one now. Fuck cancer.)

But you know what? Slowly, we're getting it done. Many major exits have been blocked. We're getting better at telling the lanes apart. We're learning how the little bastards get around the roadblocks we have, and learning what new ones we need.

Whether it's enough...I don't know. But to everyone who's dealing with this right now, know that there are a whole lot of geeks doing their damnedest to help.

Taymon

Postby Taymon » Fri Aug 12, 2011 7:40 pm UTC

Mundane math question: Is the 5- or 10-year period for a prognosis just an arbitrary unit for a continuous uniform probability distribution? In other words, is a 10-year prognosis of 60% equivalent to a 5-year prognosis of 77%?

That's what it looks like from the comic, but I was hoping someone could confirm that I'm interpreting it correctly.

ThirdFricative

Postby ThirdFricative » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:50 pm UTC

I don't even know anyone with cancer and this is still one of the saddest things I've seen in a while. I'll never forget that final panel.

addams

Postby addams » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:33 pm UTC

It is a nice way to see life. Thank you, Mr. Monroe.

But; Where do the lanes go? I heard a story that said that the roads continue. Just like on a real highway. The others have gone their own way.
If, that is true, then, I hope we all find Love and Contentment there.

I heard a different story that said that it is like the comic. The lane and the person on it, just, end. The person that told that story said, "If, you do not fret about not being before, your birth, then; Why fret about not being after, your death?"

I have heard many stories. One says that there is another highway below that one. One above, one below, one to each side in infinite directions.

That story makes me a little nervous. The subject of life and death is nerve racking. It does not matter much how we get there. We will all get there.
It's true! I know. I studied Science.

But; It does matter, a great deal, how we get there. I know that I am going. We all do. There are young people that must think about these things. There are old people that can not think about these things.

The image of the road in the dark is touching. A poet once wrote something that the comic reminds me of. I kept a copy. Here:

One might compare the journey of the soul to mystical union, by way of pure faith, to the journey of a car on a dark highway. The only way the driver can keep to the road is by using his headlights. So in the mystical life, reason has its function. The way of faith is necessarily obscure. We drive by night. Nevertheless our reason penetrates the darkness enough to show us a little of the road ahead. It is by the light of reason that we interpret the signposts and make out the landmarks along our way.

Thomas Merton
(1915 - 1968)
American Trappist monk

By the light of reason and with the warmth of kindness we make our way. XKCD provides a little of each and some Trolls, just, for fun.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

altoids_man

Postby altoids_man » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

Featuring Breast Cancer in your Cancer Awareness post is fine.

Just realize that Prostate Cancer incidence and death rates are higher than that for breast cancer. http://nooilforpacifists.blogspot.com/2010/10/politically-correct-cancer-funding.html

Even so, breast cancer funding is twice that of prostate cancer.

P.S. What is prostate cancer awareness month? Hint: coming soon.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”