0933: "Tattoo"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 0933: "Tattoo"

Postby Headrushed » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:36 am UTC

Man, i'm sick of this cancer shit.

randy's personal life is not nearly as enthralling as he hopes it is.
Headrushed

Postby chrth » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:47 am UTC

Regarding tattoos in general:

A friend of mine had a great idea. She said if she ever wanted to get a tattoo, she'd put a picture of it up on her wall for a year, and if she wasn't sick of it by then, she'd get the tattoo.

I myself have never gotten a tattoo, because while it's a longshot, I do not want to preclude the possibility of being buried in a Jewish cemetary

As for being "for life", not really. Ignoring that tattoos can be removed (expensively), they do eventually fade ... assuming they don't start talking to you with the voice of Jodie Foster.

Regarding the comic:

While I have tremendous sympathy for those with cancer or other diseases/conditions (and heck, if you want to, you can donate to the National MS Society Tour to Tanglewood, a two-day bike ride I do to raise money to help those with Multiple Sclerosis at http://tinyurl.com/ct-tour2011), I'm not a big fan of the idea behind this comic. There's nothing wrong with being strong/proud as you fight, but the comic seems to hold the position that doing so puts you in a superior position to someone who isn't. While the "inferior" target is the one that suggests putting on the shirt, the judgement is still there - and we have no real context for his tattoo (what if he had served for three tours in Iraq and the tattoo was something his squad got together in memory of a member who was killed?).

There's always someone who has it worse than you*. Does that mean that your own pains/sorrows/trials are meaningless? There's a reason "It could be worse, you could --" is not considered suitable therapy. Conversely, there's always someone who has it better than you*, should we resent them their luck/whatever? That seems like the easiest way to end up cold and bitter for the rest of your life.

And I do understand that I'm probably looking at the wrong panel; from Randall's perspective, the face-out one is probably the key point he wants to get across. But the last panel undermines what he's trying to do ... unless, of course, what he's trying to do is convince others that those dealing with cancer are superior.

*With the exception of the President of the United States
chrth

Postby Izawwlgood » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:48 am UTC

Headrushed wrote:Man, i'm sick of this cancer shit.

Man, you're a dick.
How many are the enemy, but where are they? Within, without, never ceases the fight.
Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Aelfyre » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:02 pm UTC

hey good news man! You aren't as vital to this community as you may think! I hereby release you to go troll elsewhere you are free!

chrth wrote:I myself have never gotten a tattoo, because while it's a longshot, I do not want to preclude the possibility of being buried in a Jewish cemetery

Ok I gotta ask.. how does one go about circumcising a cemetery? :)
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.
Aelfyre

Postby mcvoid » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:04 pm UTC

My mom got a gamma knife procedure done on a (benign) tumor in her brain. To make sure they didn't miss they screwed the helmet-thingy on to her skull. I was waiting for her to turn green (or grey) and monstrous for weeks!
mcvoid

Postby radtea » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:12 pm UTC

Unrelated comments:

1) I once put a big sodium iodide scintillator from a gamma-camera in front of a therapeutic beam just to see what would happen. It was still glowing visibly to the eye in a dark room twenty minutes later.. If I'd been clever I could probably have got a paper out of it on measuring the REALLY long-lived optical states of NaI...

2) High-energy therapeutic beams (> 8 MV) result in gammas with sufficiently high energy to knock neutrons out of nuclei, resulting in the patient being very slightly more radioactive than normal for about 20 minutes after treatment. This is a measurable effect, but not a health hazard to your loved ones! Still, hey, hold out some hope she'll get radioactive super-powers, Randall!

3) Increased precision in radiotherapy is cool, but a debatable benefit. While it certainly reduces morbidity and allows treatment of areas that were once off-limits, it may also reduce the rate of local control by under-dosing nearby micro-metastases. This debate has gone on for a long time. When I was working in the early days of online portal imaging, twenty years ago, I calculated that I'd have to do a 40 year longitudinal study to figure out if we were doing any good or not.

4) I find it amusing that tattoos are still considered by some to be symbol of toughness when every teenage girl I see has twelve. When I was a teenager way back when I worked in a machine shop where most of the older guys had tats and I can't help but wonder how they feel about those symbols of manly pain tolerance now. Although most of them regretted them even then. Six dots on your chest... yeah, that's hard core. Vanity ink on your arm? Not so much... Not to say the vanity ain't legit--I know a woman who got some in her 40's as part of the post-divorce reconstruction process, but that's a big difference from the "Look how tough I am" bad Chinese and barbed wire I see a lot of on younger people (now get off my lawn!)
Coming on Midsummer's Day to a Web Browser Near You: http://www.songsofalbion.com
radtea

Postby radtea » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

If you think you're sick of it, imagine how sick of it the people who have it are!

Although probably not as sick of it as they are of you.

Thankfully, they and their loved ones are better able to cope with cancer than you are with not getting exactly what you want on a sunny Wednesday morning.
Coming on Midsummer's Day to a Web Browser Near You: http://www.songsofalbion.com
radtea

Postby chrth » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:21 pm UTC

Aelfyre wrote:Ok I gotta ask.. how does one go about circumcising a cemetery? :)

Eight days after the cemetery is laid out, you remove the top layer of soil. Obviously.

If you're lucky you don't have people protesting because they're foolish enough to think that a quick cut of a 1/8" piece of skin actually registers in the mind of a creature that was just torturously taken from a warm, moist, dark environment into a cold, dry, light one, most likely via a long and painful squeezing through a narrow cavity.
chrth

Postby mstrmind » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:22 pm UTC

Long time reader, but I finally registered to say Thank You.

I'm an 8 dot guy and I'm 10 years clear and counting. All the best!
mstrmind

Postby Aklein24 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:36 pm UTC

I have a quick question regarding the alt text. Based on my limited knowledge of radiation and radiation therapy, don’t they usually bombard with x-rays, not electrons? I’m pretty sure there’s proton therapy, but in most cases I thought the electrons were used to generate the x-rays. As far as I know, electrons are accelerated, bombard some target which generates radiation which is focused on the patient. Additionally, he says gamma ray therapy, which would lead me to believe that the source in this case is from radioactive decay which wouldn’t involve any electrons either. I could be completely wrong though, feel free to correct me.
Aklein24

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

chrth wrote:If you're lucky you don't have people protesting because they're foolish enough to think that a quick cut of a 1/8" piece of skin actually registers in the mind of a creature that was just torturously taken from a warm, moist, dark environment into a cold, dry, light one, most likely via a long and painful squeezing through a narrow cavity.

We are not having this discussion here.
"When Archie is too progressive for you, that's how science identifies you as an earlier species" - Luke McKinney, Cracked.com

Honestly, if you're talking BBQ and 'a guy in a parking lot' isn't part of the conversation, something's wrong."
SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby marsman57 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:42 pm UTC

I never knew the 'c' in xkcd stood for cancer. :-/
marsman57

Postby red5 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:46 pm UTC

I'm so stealing that description for my dot collection!
red5

Postby AFW » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:47 pm UTC

chrth wrote:There's always someone who has it worse than you*. Does that mean that your own pains/sorrows/trials are meaningless? There's a reason "It could be worse, you could --" is not considered suitable therapy.

That reminds me of this comic: http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?db ... 2314#comic
AFW

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

He should have asked to see the dots. Wait, no, that might have been sad...
To the cancer patients in the fora, godspeed.

SecondTalon wrote:
chrth wrote:If you're lucky you don't have people protesting because they're foolish enough to think that a quick cut of a 1/8" piece of skin actually registers in the mind of a creature that was just torturously taken from a warm, moist, dark environment into a cold, dry, light one, most likely via a long and painful squeezing through a narrow cavity.

A cut of skin, indirect description of a baby, protesting... does he mean stem cell research?
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."
SpringLoaded12

Postby Ocker3 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:03 pm UTC

Aklein24 wrote:I have a quick question regarding the alt text. Based on my limited knowledge of radiation and radiation therapy, don’t they usually bombard with x-rays, not electrons? I’m pretty sure there’s proton therapy, but in most cases I thought the electrons were used to generate the x-rays. As far as I know, electrons are accelerated, bombard some target which generates radiation which is focused on the patient. Additionally, he says gamma ray therapy, which would lead me to believe that the source in this case is from radioactive decay which wouldn’t involve any electrons either. I could be completely wrong though, feel free to correct me.

I took a Nuclear Medicine course at Loma Linda University Medical Centre 12-odd years ago (so science and medicine have advanced since then), but if it was a Proton Accelator that they used, it's nothing to do with X-rays, apart from being to X-rays what a sniper rifle is to a shotgun (the lecturer's analogy). X-rays follow a standard sin-wave path, wiggling up and down and keeping on going. Protons (once accelerated) follow a Very straight path, then slow down Really fast. They only move up and down for a very short distance, allowing an incredibly higher accuracy, and doing vastly lower amounts of damage on the entry side, and 0 on the exit side. This of course matters if you're working near the spine or in the brain, or near anything else unreplaceable.

As to tattoos, in most cases one quote I've seen holds true "the more tattoos/piercings someone has, the less interesting that person is." If you're interesting, you probably don't feel the need to advertise that on your skin. It may Be marked on your skin, but showing it off all the time isn't usually part of it. If people need to know, you'll tell/show them, or they'll just know from a glimpse what it means and how important it is. If you Really want to do something about someone in your life that you really care about, do something For that person.
"why change something that's broken in a way that you know it's broken" - Brett McGrath
Ocker3

Postby Aklein24 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:06 pm UTC

Hes taking about people who protest circumscision.

SexyTalon wrote:

A cut of skin, indirect description of a baby, protesting... does he mean stem cell research?[/quote]
ription of a baby, protesting... does he mean stem cell research?[/quote]
Aklein24

Postby Hirg » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:10 pm UTC

Actually the electrons hit you at the speed of light. It's part of the awesomeness that is being an electron.
Hirg

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:18 pm UTC

I just imagined your gravestone with that post on it.

If I die from cancer I am definitely having that on my gravestone.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche
Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Mrmacman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:20 pm UTC

chrth wrote:
Aelfyre wrote:Ok I gotta ask.. how does one go about circumcising a cemetery? :)

Eight days after the cemetery is laid out, you remove the top layer of soil. Obviously.

If you're lucky you don't have people protesting because they're foolish enough to think that a quick cut of a 1/8" piece of skin actually registers in the mind of a creature that was just torturously taken from a warm, moist, dark environment into a cold, dry, light one, most likely via a long and painful squeezing through a narrow cavity.

I don't know, dude. When I was circumcised, I couldn't walk for nearly a year.
Mrmacman

Re: 0933: Tattoo

Postby McClow » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:21 pm UTC

TaylorP wrote:Also is it just me, or Randall do an excellent job with the panel 4? It's almost like she's actually glaring out of the screen.

Yeah, it's pretty amazing for not having a face.
McClow

Postby Efpophis » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:22 pm UTC

Cancer patients are, in my opinion, some of the most hardcore badasses out there. You all have certainly earned your stripes, and then some. You and those close to you are in my thoughts.
Efpophis

Postby McClow » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:26 pm UTC

Ocker3 wrote:As to tattoos, in most cases one quote I've seen holds true "the more tattoos/piercings someone has, the less interesting that person is." If you're interesting, you probably don't feel the need to advertise that on your skin. It may Be marked on your skin, but showing it off all the time isn't usually part of it. If people need to know, you'll tell/show them, or they'll just know from a glimpse what it means and how important it is. If you Really want to do something about someone in your life that you really care about, do something For that person.

I know a lot of really interesting people with a lot of tattoos. I also know a much larger number of douchebags with really bad tattoos. I feel like it isn't the number of tattoos that makes you uninteresting, but whether you have a tribal tattoo, barbed wire tattoo, or an I love America (bald eagle, flag, whatever) tattoo. A single one of those and you are out.
McClow

Postby keozen » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:27 pm UTC

ಠ_ಠ Read back what you posted to yourself in your head. If you can't see why it makes you sound like a terrible human being then I'm sorry, I have bad news for you..... you have an attitude problem brought on by acute lack of compassion. I suggest you do something about that.
keozen
I posted in the custom title thread and all I got was this lousy placeholder.

Postby gilbetron » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

radtea wrote:2) High-energy therapeutic beams (> 8 MV) result in gammas with sufficiently high energy to knock neutrons out of nuclei, resulting in the patient being very slightly more radioactive than normal for about 20 minutes after treatment. This is a measurable effect, but not a health hazard to your loved ones! Still, hey, hold out some hope she'll get radioactive super-powers, Randall!

I was treated for Thyroid cancer 3 years ago (the "Nice Cancer (tm)"), and drank a dose of therapeutic Radioactive Iodine. You know, the stuff the people on the US west coast were freaked about. So I was glowing pretty good after that - the technician held a Geiger counter up to me and everything, whee! We were all joking about what super power I'd get, turns out all I get is Immunity ... to Radioactive Iodine. Turns out if you have no Thyroid, no need to worry about the stuff anymore.

That's also when I learned to despise lemon drops...
gilbetron

Postby plasticup » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:38 pm UTC

My mom has that same tattoo.
plasticup

Postby The Mighty Thesaurus » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

Mrmacman wrote:
chrth wrote:

Motherfucking five star post
LE4dGOLEM wrote:your ability to tell things from things remains one of your skills.
Weeks wrote:Not only can you tell things from things, you can recognize when a thing is a thing
<Will> we've replaced his keyboard with a godzilla. let's see if he notices
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
The Mighty Thesaurus
a.k.a. The Puissant Lexicographical Tome

Postby neoliminal » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:52 pm UTC

The Mighty Thesaurus wrote:
Mrmacman wrote:
chrth wrote:

Motherfucking five star post

I've never been circumcised but in either of the above meanings I'm pretty sure I would either be dead or want to be soon after.
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/214255
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]
neoliminal

Postby mwburden » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:56 pm UTC

chrth wrote:There's nothing wrong with being strong/proud as you fight, but the comic seems to hold the position that doing so puts you in a superior position to someone who isn't. While the "inferior" target is the one that suggests putting on the shirt, the judgement is still there - and we have no real context for his tattoo (what if he had served for three tours in Iraq and the tattoo was something his squad got together in memory of a member who was killed?).

I think given the context of the strip and the subject of the "inferior" tattoo (barbed wire around the biceps -- popular with the "rad" twenty-somethings that think they're hot stuff), the "inferior" person was trying to show her how cool he was by showing off his tattoo, and got rightfully put in his place.

My wife (who has her own set of dots, and is still coming to terms with having the dots permanently on her body) loved today's strip!
mwburden

Postby OtherRob » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:04 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:

Man, you're a dick.

That pretty much says it for me, too.

I lost my stepfather to lung cancer over 30 years ago. Still miss him...
OtherRob

Postby lizcaff9 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:08 pm UTC

As someone with medical tattoos as I call them, I loved this comic - you nailed. Sure go get a tattoo that says peace in a language you don't even understand or have any connection to - I have tattooed nipples and I hope that one day I will be able to be okay with that.

Also - why would you get a tattoo if you didn't have to? IMHO, they hurt a lot.
lizcaff9

Postby knowman » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:13 pm UTC

There are no absolutes when it comes to tattoos and the people who have them, any more than there absolutes are when it comes to clothes, shoes, cars, tastes in music, the moral certitude of economists, etc. Perhaps the tattoo that seems shallow and trite to you means a great deal to person who decided to be jabbed with a needle a good many times to put it there.

Another inspiring comic, Randall.

*Edit*
Quick, honest if dumb question - Is the reason they need to put the medical tattoos on because of radiation therapy that needs to be done repeatedly in the same spot, or is there some other reason they're not just done with a Sharpie (which, as ridiculous as it sounds, is most definitely a critical piece of medical technology, because it makes sure they're cutting the right parts).
knowman

Postby tsarna » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:24 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:
tsarna wrote:"You think I'm impressed by [stupid body modifications]? Mods you bought? Anyone could have bought those. I earned mine. This expanse of splotchy wrinkly burned skin here, these couple jagged scars? I got those from life, not from some crappy body mods parlor."

Well said. Except I make an exception for military tattoos (for comradery purposes only)

Sure, I'll give you that one. For example, I'll count an EGA tattoo as "earned" (assuming the person actually was a Marine).

an Polynesians (rite of passage).

OK, exception hereby granted for tribal tattoos, if they're from some actual tribe you actually belong to.
tsarna

Postby monicaclaire » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

Mrmacman wrote:
chrth wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
monicaclaire

Location: Where you will never get to me. Sometimes, but not all the time, on P3X-774.

Postby Aelfyre » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

knowman wrote:*Edit*
Quick, honest if dumb question - Is the reason they need to put the medical tattoos on because of radiation therapy that needs to be done repeatedly in the same spot, or is there some other reason they're not just done with a Sharpie (which, as ridiculous as it sounds, is most definitely a critical piece of medical technology, because it makes sure they're cutting the right parts).

yeah at least when i went thru rad it was done in several sessions spread out over a few weeks so it was very *very* important to have the beam in the *exact* same spot every time to avoid frying my lungs.. or.. veggies.. (which the bone marrow transplant took care of unfortunately) I remember tasting metal whenever the beam was on.. coppery...
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.
Aelfyre

Postby rexnemo » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:55 pm UTC

Aelfyre wrote:

yeah at least when i went thru rad it was done in several sessions spread out over a few weeks so it was very *very* important to have the beam in the *exact* same spot every time to avoid frying my lungs.. or.. veggies.. (which the bone marrow transplant took care of unfortunately) I remember tasting metal whenever the beam was on.. coppery...

When I had mine they just used a Sharpie and put a clear sticker over it. Of course they also made a mold of my head to keep it from moving and had some markings on that. Also, my radiation was 5 days a week for 6 weeks instead of spread out and if it started to fade they could just re-apply it.

I still feel like I'm missing out by not having any dots. :(

I don't recall a coppery taste. Actually, I wasn't able to taste anything at all for about 6 weeks.
rexnemo

Postby Aelfyre » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:02 pm UTC

rexnemo wrote:
Aelfyre wrote:

When I had mine they just used a Sharpie and put a clear sticker over it. Of course they also made a mold of my head to keep it from moving and had some markings on that. Also, my radiation was 5 days a week for 6 weeks instead of spread out and if it started to fade they could just re-apply it.

I still feel like I'm missing out by not having any dots. :(

I don't recall a coppery taste. Actually, I wasn't able to taste anything at all for about 6 weeks.

well that isn't surprising since it sounds like your head was getting dosed so I am sure that played havoc with your taste buds until your tongue could regenerate them.. mine was all in my chest and groin so I *think* it had something to do with ionizing the air in my lungs.. coulda been wrong.
Aelfyre

Postby xsk8rat » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:25 pm UTC

Best Wishes with Regard to Therapy and Recovery,
Here at work, we make these machines for Radiation Therapy.
All the techies in the company loves your work. It is featured in many cubes, offices, and (internal) presentations.
You and your's are in our thoughts - as are all "our" patients.
Sincerely,
xsk8rat
(Mark)
xsk8rat

Postby rcox1 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:25 pm UTC

comsciguy82 wrote:
Xof wrote:Nope, you're thinking of photons. Electrons have mass, so they can't reach the speed of light.

TheRedSeven wrote:Depends on your frame of reference. But I think you're thinking of photons in a vacuum. Electrons travel at different speeds, depending on the medium through which they're traveling (through a copper wire is different than through a vacuum), and depending on the energy being acted upon (they go faster when accelerated at the LHC than when they're accelerated at FermiLab's Tevatron), etc.

My physics may be a bit rusty, but if I recall photons also have mass (although infinitesimally small compared to an electron, but explains why the gravitational force prevents photons from escaping a black hole), but the speed that we call the speed of light is the measured speed of photons in a vacuum. Also, doesn't special relativity suggest that a body travelling the speed of light will be observed at that speed regardless of the frame of reference (creating distortions in perceived time intervals, etc.)?

One confusion in physics is that of mass(m) and momentum(p). It is often better to talk about the later since it can be spoken of in more generic terms. In particular, anything that has motion has momentum. Therefore, a photon has momentum, defined ration of the energy of the photon to the speed of light.

In classical physics we learn that momentum can be calculated by the product of the mass and velocity. This leads some to think that momentum requires mass, which is does not. Momentum is simply a measure of motion. The mass is simply a constant of proportionality that is used in classical physics to make everything work out.

So where does this idea of mass of a photon come from? It comes from the mass energy relationship.
E^2=(pc)^c+(mc^2)^2
The photon certainly has some energy, and if that energy were converted to mass, as the equation says it could be, then some mass would result. But that in now way means that photons have mass any more than putting a pound of flour on the dinner table means you have a cake.
rcox1

Postby addams » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

I think that Mr. Monroe is both courageous and kind. And; Funny, as always.

He is also fortunate that he is able to share this with us. It is a terrible thing to go through this kind of thing, alone.

He must crack his girlfriend up. It is so great to have a funny friend. Smart and funny is wonderful. He is Mr. Wonderful and Mr. Monroe, too.

My doctor was funny. He said that we had some choices. We could be sure to 'get' it all. We could take my head off at the shoulder. I was scared and taking everything so serious. I just looked at him. He laughed at me. Then we both laughed. He was an O.K. guy. He was dealing with cancer himself. He did my surgery, then, he flew to Bethesda, Maryland for his own.

We both lived a while longer. He had no risk factors. He had lived a life that was squeaky clean. It is not O.K. to blame the victim. There is no rhyme or reason to these things, sometimes.

He was my best friend while I was going through what I did. We talked. He explained to me that: "No one gets out of this outfit alive."

Then, he told me that we were both going to live a while longer. I took his word on it. We did.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.
addams

PreviousNext

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads