0934: "Mac/PC"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

asdfzxc

0934: "Mac/PC"

Postby asdfzxc » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:13 am UTC

Alt text: "It's fun to watch browsers fumblingly recapitulate the history of window management. Someday we'll have xmonad as a Firefox extension."

And they still both beat Linux... OH GOD WHY AM I ON FIRE

cptjeff

Re: 0934: "Mac/PC"

Postby cptjeff » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:21 am UTC

Hi, I'm Firefox.
I'm Chrome.
Wazzup, I'm Safari.
Howdy, I'm Opera.

[Clown walks in]

Hi, I'm Internet Explorer.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:27 am UTC

I always imagined Opera to be more of a "greetings, such a great pleasure to meet you" type of guy...
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

soren121

Postby soren121 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:29 am UTC

Linux is the tomboyish girl with an ever-expanding wardrobe. And she has way too many plastic surgeries.
PHP/XHTML/CSS Programmer
http://www.sorenstudios.com/
Fueled by all of this and V8

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:38 am UTC

Opera: Welcome to the world of tomorrow-w-w!

feyayeruka

Postby feyayeruka » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:39 am UTC

I keep wanting to come up with a mash-up name of PC and Mac. But someone alreeady did.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:45 am UTC

Demomacpan?
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

jpk

Postby jpk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:49 am UTC

Right. Of course, if everything you do is in the browser, I'd suggest that you might maybe spend too much time in YouTwitFace and you might want to think about the tiny detail that every second you throw into the gaping maw of the Distractionator is another second off your life that you won't get back, ever.

(okay, maybe you're using google docs to write the novel that I'll read in two years and it'll blow my mind right out of my skull, change my life forever, and so forth. If so, carry on.)

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:54 am UTC

jpk wrote:Right. Of course, if everything you do is in the browser, I'd suggest that you might maybe spend too much time in YouTwitFace and you might want to think about the tiny detail that every second you throw into the gaping maw of the Distractionator is another second off your life that you won't get back, ever.
Hey, douchecanoe, I use Google Docs to write my...

jpk wrote:(okay, maybe you're using google docs to write the novel that I'll read in two years and it'll blow my mind right out of my skull, change my life forever, and so forth. If so, carry on.)
Oh. Er. Sorry! My bad.

Stupid lack of delete button.

markthema3

Postby markthema3 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:55 am UTC

Not even a mention of Chrome OS? Perfect punchline IMO...

vortighast

Postby vortighast » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:57 am UTC

Anyone care to explain the alt-text?

markthema3

Postby markthema3 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:59 am UTC

vortighast wrote:Anyone care to explain the alt-text?

Go install 3 different flavors of linux. Lets go with... Xubuntu, Kubuntu, and Fedora Core 15. Then you will probably understand.

suso

Postby suso » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:02 am UTC

I wrote about this a while back. The computer industry wastes its time reinventing itself with each new paradigm and we don't seem to leverage all the work done before:

http://suso.suso.org/xulu/How_the_computer_industry_reinvents_itself
Imagine theres no signatures....

jpk

Postby jpk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:03 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:
jpk wrote:Right. Of course, if everything you do is in the browser, I'd suggest that you might maybe spend too much time in YouTwitFace and you might want to think about the tiny detail that every second you throw into the gaping maw of the Distractionator is another second off your life that you won't get back, ever.
Hey, douchecanoe, I use Google Docs to write my...

jpk wrote:(okay, maybe you're using google docs to write the novel that I'll read in two years and it'll blow my mind right out of my skull, change my life forever, and so forth. If so, carry on.)
Oh. Er. Sorry! My bad.

Stupid lack of delete button.

"douchecanoe"? you just made my night!

(have you ever noticed that some words just aren't likely to be used as the names of programming languages? "Yeah, I used to write a lot of python, but lately I'm really digging on douchecanoe"
"Yeah, I've been meaning to try that... I've been writing a lot of stuff in Scrotum ....")
(Wasn't Eliza Douchecanoe in some TV show that my girlfriend watched religiously for all fifteen minutes that it was on?)

markthema3

Postby markthema3 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:06 am UTC

I just noticed that word. That is quite awesome. Douchcanoe has now been added to all of my spell check dictionaries.
Last edited by markthema3 on Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:12 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

jpk

Postby jpk » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:09 am UTC

markthema3 wrote:I just noticed that word. That is quite awesome. Douchcanoe has now been added to all of my spellcheck dictionaries.

Nice place for a typo...

hh10k

Postby hh10k » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:12 am UTC

suso wrote:I wrote about this a while back.

Everyone's already written about this a while back. Why didn't you leverage the work that's already been done?

clever_username

Postby clever_username » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:13 am UTC

Beat me to it, jpk.

markthema3

Postby markthema3 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:14 am UTC

jpk wrote:
markthema3 wrote:I just noticed that word. That is quite awesome. Douchcanoe has now been added to all of my spellcheck dictionaries.

Nice place for a typo...

Well crap. Chrome spell check dictionary is difficult to fix >.<
Fortunately spelled it right everywhere else...

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:37 am UTC

I hadn't thought of that. It's a good point though. For instance, the adoption of tabbed browsing...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Glass Fractal

Postby Glass Fractal » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:42 am UTC

Its a program that arranges your windows so they don't overlap. Convenient if you have a lot of stuff going on at once. Presumably Randall is suggesting it would be the logical next step up from tabbed browsing.

KShrike

Postby KShrike » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:14 am UTC

Made me lol, which hadn't happened in a long time with Randall's comics.

'Bout time...

(Unless you are a gamer, in which case you get a PC because it's just easier to deal with, although having to put up with an inferior OS)
On 10/10/10, My Little Pony started to appeal to adult males. Ya rly!
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!

VDZ

Postby VDZ » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:14 am UTC

From right to left: Thunderbird, mIRC, aMSN, various folders I've opened, Paint, Notepad, Firefox, Winamp, Calculator. Running in background: uTorrent and Steam. Even this moment I'm using lots of programs that don't run in my browser. The real difference comes when I start doing other stuff though - practically none of my games work on Mac or Linux, FL Studio is Windows-only, Visual Studio doesn't run on Mac, VSTs are often incompatible with Macs, 3ds max doesn't run on Mac, and so on.

The average computer user never came further than their desktop, their e-mail client and their browser, but for the people who actually use their computers Macs and PCs are still completely different. It'll still be a long time until we're doing everything with a browser or Macs and PCs become indistinguishable (if either will ever happen).

Also, mediocre comic.

KShrike

Postby KShrike » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:15 am UTC

Did somebody already post this image? No? Ok, here we go.
On 10/10/10, My Little Pony started to appeal to adult males. Ya rly!
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!

PCChris

Postby PCChris » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:19 am UTC

Glass Fractal wrote:

Its a program that arranges your windows so they don't overlap. Convenient if you have a lot of stuff going on at once. Presumably Randall is suggesting it would be the logical next step up from tabbed browsing.

I *think* that the joke in the alt-text is that all these different window management methods have been developed over time for traditional desktop environments (especially in the case of Linux, for which you can choose from numerous window managers) and now they're all being slowly re-developed for the browser. It's like re-inventing the wheel. And the bit about Xmonad (which is a Window Manager as you stated) is saying that users will eventually want to customize window management on web sites, thus necessitating window manager add-ons for browsers. I mostly lol'd at the fact that Randall chose Xmonad, which IMO is a more obscure window manager, though I've been using it now for a little while.

phlip
Restorer of Worlds

Postby phlip » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:37 am UTC

Re the title text: think about some of the more fancy web-apps that are floating around... the fancier web-mail systems, some of the things Google has made (Mail, Calendar, Docs... Wave, if you were around for that...), are starting to rebuild window management from the ground up... Wave in particular, you had a bunch of separate windows for the wave list, and your individual waves you have open, menus and user lists, and such. and you could move them around and resize them and such. jQuery even has a generic library for making overlapped popup windows (that are just panels on the webpage, not actual popups) that you can move, resize, switch between, etc like normal windows.

The title text is pointing out how the evolution of web apps in this respect has mirrored the history of real apps... first with the single-task... a page would do one thing at a time, and one thing only... do do a different thing you'd go to a different page. Then a page could be several things which you could switch between, using visuals like tab pages and such to swap pieces of the page in and out. Then tiled window management, with CMSes that have panels in columns that you can move up and down, or minimise and maximise, and they'd automatically stack on top of each other. And now overlapped window managment with popup windows that you can position however you want. Which is very roughly how desktop WMs evolved.
The title text is speculating it'll only be matter of time before this sort of thing gets added to HTML proper... like HTML5 adding support for video and such built-in, a future HTML will probably add some sort of <window> element or something, so that a web page can have many sub-windows and manage them appropriately. And maybe even browsers will have swappable WMs, as X currently does.

Code: Select all

enum ಠ_ಠ {°□°╰=1, °Д°╰, ಠ益ಠ╰};
void ┻━┻︵​╰(ಠ_ಠ ⚠) {exit((int)⚠);}
[he/him/his]

ManaUser

Postby ManaUser » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:41 am UTC

<div style="control-box: all; draggable: top">Emphasis on fumblingly. Whenever I see a site trying to simulate windows inside the web page itself, it's almost always terrible. But considering people insist on doing it, they should probably just go ahead at put in the next HTML spec so people won't resort to awful javascript kludges.</div>

bewareofspatulas

Postby bewareofspatulas » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:10 am UTC

Alt text: "It's fun to watch browsers fumblingly recapitulate the history of window management. Someday we'll have xmonad as a Firefox extension."

This is now the only thing I want in life.

Jon_L

Postby Jon_L » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:01 am UTC

But wait... There are these new fangled things called "Apps" starting to catch on that actually run outside the browser! They're so good because they can run a bit faster because they can be targeted to the architecture on which they are running and can provide a UI much more customised to the app in question rather than having to take styling cues from the underlying browser. Hang on a minute - haven't we been here before??

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:12 am UTC

Mightn't this have been a better comic if it were released back when the "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" commercials were actually airing?
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

darkpegasus

Postby darkpegasus » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:18 am UTC

Actually, I think there is a tiling web browser. Yes! It's called 'dwb'.

hawk1105

Postby hawk1105 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:25 am UTC

and searching firefox extensions by 'tiled' provides these:
https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/addon/tile-tabs/
https://addons.mozilla.org/nl/firefox/addon/tile-view/

not sure what the difference is, as they're by the same author.

I'll check them out when I get home, looks pretty awesome.

(edit: I appear not to be able to post links.)
(edit2: tile-view seems to be a 2.0 version of tile-tabs.)

colombo

Postby colombo » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:50 am UTC

No kiddig. The "web interface" of my NAS comes with a "desktop" and "programs" with independant "windows" and multitasking and all of this runs in the (any) browser tab.

limyreth

Postby limyreth » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:57 am UTC

The saddest part in the whole switch to browser based applications, is that it's not really necessary. You can stick to your 'old-styled' applications (not browser based, gtk, cli, ... whatever you like) and distribute them with 0install (as that's the major problem with regular applications, lesser availability, doesn't always work out of the box), for further details I refer you to this blog post: http://timdiels.be/blog/?p=18

alexp

Postby alexp » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:04 am UTC

The browsers are the same? Hell, the *hardware* is the same, too.

Beardhammer

Postby Beardhammer » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:09 am UTC

alexp wrote:The browsers are the same? Hell, the *hardware* is the same, too.

I call bullshit on that one. Everyone knows Macs are made of plastic, almost always white, and very curvy - perfect to go with your totally HIPSTERRRRRRRRR (hnnnnnnggghhhhh!) pad. You fucking pansy.

Meanwhile PCs are monstrosities wrought from steel mined by orphans in the depths of Earth's mantle, smelted in forges powered by the souls of lost kittens, and consecrated by the blood of Bambi's mother. And they're powered by a dying star.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:42 am UTC

I think you're having difficulty separating the concept of 'hardware' and 'case design'
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

mrrix32

Postby mrrix32 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:54 am UTC

All these comments and no one has pointed out that a Mac IS a PC? Well this comment comes closest:
alexp wrote:The browsers are the same? Hell, the *hardware* is the same, too.

The Apple marketing department has managed to brainwash the world into thinking a Mac isn't a PC and that PC=Windows.

...I'm a Linux user, can you tell?

Bankinus

Postby Bankinus » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:56 am UTC

Beardhammer wrote:Meanwhile PCs are monstrosities wrought from steel mined by orphans in the depths of Earth's mantle, smelted in forges powered by the souls of lost kittens, and consecrated by the blood of Bambi's mother. And they're powered by a dying star.

Where can I get get one of these awesome machines of death?
My PC only runs on ground up pixies.

Plasma Man
Location: Northampton, Northampton, Northampton middle England.

Postby Plasma Man » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

I like it that the joke works extra well with the indistinguishability of stick figures. Very clever.
Please note that despite the lovely avatar Sungura gave me, I am not a medical doctor.

Possibly my proudest moment on the fora.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”