0935: “Missed Connections”

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hujackus

Re: 0935: “Missed Connections”

Postby hujackus » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:20 pm UTC

Once I understood that Missed Connections was a site it only took about 5 minutes to laugh at every one of these. The confused packet is probably the funniest imo.

mbourgon

Postby mbourgon » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:33 pm UTC

Years and years ago, Car & Driver did a "review" of the Weinermobile... 0-60 in 12 minutes, weight with and without accessories (ketchup, mustard, relish) and a gear ratio of "you're kidding, right?"

Never thought knowing that would come in handy. Don't recall anyone riding on the hood, though.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:44 pm UTC

Today's strip went

skeptical scientist wrote:Hmm, apparently what I thought was an intentional part of the joke on Randall's part was just a joke being played on my by the vagaries of fate and/or the internet, since I can't seem to reproduce it now that I've cleared my cache. This is what I saw when I first loaded the page:

Screen shot 2011-08-08 at 4.35.34 PM.png

Isn't that the most awesomely well-timed example of packet loss you've ever seen? I swear, it's not photo-shopped. I really did only get half of the image, and it cut off right after the line about a confused UDP packet. The internet is kind of flakey where I am, so it's not completely implausible, but it is pretty hilariously unlikely.

When using Safari on a Mac, incompletely loaded images are filled in with a black space? That's kinda nice... using Firefox on Windows, the unloaded section is simply cut off (I too have a flaky internet connection, and spellcheck is telling me I spelled "flaky" right and you didn't, which honestly surprises me), and if you aren't already aware that there was more of the image to see (perhaps by seeing the thumbnail while doing an Image search), it can be quite confusing. So clearing the cache is how you get the image to load properly after that? Good to know, I'll keep that in mind next time... a shame, my save files for various Flash games will be lost :roll:
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

infoeon

Postby infoeon » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:00 pm UTC

Your trace isn't completing properly because the UDP packets are confusingy the Cisco routers (see XKCD 935). Instead of using UDP you can tell tracetoute to use the ICMP protocol instead, which is known to be more stable in states that use Cisco routers within the 45.170/16 block

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:10 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:So clearing the cache is how you get the image to load properly after that? Good to know, I'll keep that in mind next time... a shame, my save files for various Flash games will be lost :roll:

You can reload the individual page (including the image) completely anew with Alt+F5 or Strg+F5 or Alt + clicking the reload button or Strg + clicking on the reload button depending on the browser. Mouse gesture is often up-down-up, if you have any of them installed.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

vortighast

Postby vortighast » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

Sighting the Wienermobile, one of the things I can proudly say I have checked off my bucket list.

LtNOWIS

Postby LtNOWIS » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:11 pm UTC

Corcoran wrote:13. She was America's speaker of the house until last November.

Technically, until this January, when the new Congress began.

But yeah, a good amusing comic overall.

cjm

Postby cjm » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:32 pm UTC

kasmeneo wrote:11. If I just stole it, why am I on the hood instead of driving it the normal way?

Because you're trying to fix the stuck throttle (which is causing the vehicle to accelerate like there's a brick on the gas pedal), which is under the hood.

McClow

Postby McClow » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:34 pm UTC

Babe Ruth is a timelord? I have my doubts. I bet Al Gore is a timelord though.

kenjishinomori

Postby kenjishinomori » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

skeptical scientist wrote:
nathanmacinnes wrote:
skeptical scientist wrote:So, how did Randall do the blacking out half the image thing? Is there a server-side script so that if the image is embedded in a page, it gives the user one version, but if they request the image directly, it gives a different version?

What do you mean? Either I'm missing something, or you're missing something.

Hmm, apparently what I thought was an intentional part of the joke on Randall's part was just a joke being played on my by the vagaries of fate and/or the internet, since I can't seem to reproduce it now that I've cleared my cache. This is what I saw when I first loaded the page:

Screen shot 2011-08-08 at 4.35.34 PM.png

Isn't that the most awesomely well-timed example of packet loss you've ever seen? I swear, it's not photo-shopped. I really did only get half of the image, and it cut off right after the line about a confused UDP packet. The internet is kind of flakey where I am, so it's not completely implausible, but it is pretty hilariously unlikely.

thats a TCP lost packet...not udp...udp is best effort for video and whatnot because you wouldn't ever notice a lost packet

nogling

Postby nogling » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

Oddly enough....my man-animal was once the subject of a missed connection.

I made him respond, too, because it was one of the rare non-creepy ones.

:-)

I regularly read the missed connections for the lulz.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:59 pm UTC

What's a man-animal?

exhnozoaa

Postby exhnozoaa » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:02 pm UTC

vortighast wrote:Sighting the Wienermobile, one of the things I can proudly say I have checked off my bucket list.

I saw it a long time ago. I think it came to my elementary school... They gave all of the children wiener whistles to blow.

Side note: I hope Anthony Weiner has a son named Oscar Mayer.

seltivo

Postby seltivo » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:22 pm UTC

You: The girl with the red hair, complaining to her friend that she didn't understand the latest comic.
Me: The shy boy sitting behind you who couldn't summon the courage to explain it to you.

nogling

Postby nogling » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

Monika wrote:What's a man-animal?

Well, "boyfriend" is just one of those words that just.....yeeuurrghk.

computersciencemaj

Postby computersciencemaj » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:46 pm UTC

first time posting here cause i think that people don't understand the humor in this comic. the joke on some of these is playing on the phrase "missed connection."

the first post is a missed connection, the connection being the car hitting the person.
the second one may be reference the fact that the ME tried shooting the vague human silhouette, but missed.
the third one is saying the connection wasn't established, aka missed connection.

Kadzar

Postby Kadzar » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:22 pm UTC

nogling wrote:
Monika wrote:What's a man-animal?

Well, "boyfriend" is just one of those words that just.....yeeuurrghk.
So you use a word that suggests you're dating an escapee from the island of Dr. Moreau instead?
Geogriffith wrote:
Dad, where is Grandpa right now?

"His source code was forked, backups moved off-site, and merged with a compatible project with similar goals. As was mine, as will yours be, someday."
Some Sort of Shuriken-Based Propulsion

unus vox

Postby unus vox » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:55 pm UTC

Just say "manimal"
Spoiler:

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

How about using a word that others understand? E.g. significant other? Or partner?

jpk

Postby jpk » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:06 pm UTC

Monika wrote:How about using a word that others understand? E.g. significant other? Or partner?

Those just sound too bureaucratic to me.
I refer to my "girlfiend" and people seem to figure it out.

toadpipe

Postby toadpipe » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:08 pm UTC

cjm wrote:
kasmeneo wrote:11. If I just stole it, why am I on the hood instead of driving it the normal way?

Because you're trying to fix the stuck throttle (which is causing the vehicle to accelerate like there's a brick on the gas pedal), which is under the hood.

That doesn't make any sense at all, anyone who can drive would know that in such a situation you simply put the car in neutral and apply the brakes as normal.

Oh wait, I keep forgetting that "idiot" is the new genius.

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:34 pm UTC

“This world is a strange madhouse. Currently, every coachman and every waiter is debating whether relativity theory is correct. Belief in this matter depends on political party affiliation.”
-- Albert Einstein, 12 September 1920

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:12 am UTC

exhnozoaa wrote:
vortighast wrote:Sighting the Wienermobile, one of the things I can proudly say I have checked off my bucket list.

I saw it a long time ago. I think it came to my elementary school... They gave all of the children wiener whistles to blow.
Is that legal?

Also I'm reminded of when Sarah on Chuck used to work for 'Weinerlicious' but the only company car involved was the Nerdmobile.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:49 am UTC

Monika wrote:
SpringLoaded12 wrote:So clearing the cache is how you get the image to load properly after that? Good to know, I'll keep that in mind next time... a shame, my save files for various Flash games will be lost :roll:

You can reload the individual page (including the image) completely anew with Alt+F5 or Strg+F5 or Alt + clicking the reload button or Strg + clicking on the reload button depending on the browser. Mouse gesture is often up-down-up, if you have any of them installed.

Ah, good to know! Thanks.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

skeptical scientist
closed-minded spiritualist

Postby skeptical scientist » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:55 am UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:
Monika wrote:

Ah, good to know! Thanks.

I reloaded the page several times, both before and after I loaded the image in a new tab (successfully loading the entire image), and the image on the main xkcd site still only showed as half of an image, until I cleared my cache. That was part of the reason I thought it was an intentional part of the joke by Randall, as opposed to just an error on my end. (The rest, of course, was that the image being interrupted immediately after the "packet loss" missed connections line just seemed so apropos.)
I'm looking forward to the day when the SNES emulator on my computer works by emulating the elementary particles in an actual, physical box with Nintendo stamped on the side.

"With math, all things are possible." —Rebecca Watson

zjxs

Postby zjxs » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:23 am UTC

10. What's a Wienermobile?
11. If I just stole it, why am I on the hood instead of driving it the normal way?
12. What's a Juggalo?
13. Who's Nancy Pelosi?
14. Who's George Herman Babe Ruth?

15. What is love?

OUGryphon

Postby OUGryphon » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:40 am UTC

infoeon wrote:Your trace isn't completing properly because the UDP packets are confusingy the Cisco routers (see XKCD 935). Instead of using UDP you can tell tracetoute to use the ICMP protocol instead, which is known to be more stable in states that use Cisco routers within the 45.170/16 block

You have no idea what you just wrote, do you? Traceroute uses ICMP echo (ping) packets with an incrementing TTL and listens for the router dropping the packet when the TTL reaches zero.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:19 am UTC

16. Who is Spain?
17. Why is Hitler?
18. When is right?
19. Where was that stooped and mealy-colored old man I used to call Poppa when the merry-go-round broke down?
wee free kings

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:12 am UTC

11. If I just stole it, why am I on the hood instead of driving it the normal way?

because you are trying to reach into the engine to unstick the throttle.

violent j is one half of icp, who are followed by juggalos and juggalettes.
my house had a juggalo infestation a few years ago. not as bad as when your house has a pelosi outbreak.

missed connections is a craigslist category.
it works surprisingly well, if there's any specific data.if it's about you, somebody you know will forward it to you.

babe ruth was the sultan of swat, the greatest baseball player of all time. he died of lou gerigh's disease.
(well not really, but neither did lou.)

Dorp

Postby Dorp » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:49 am UTC

I was once referenced in someone's missed connection. It was the creepiest moment of my life. I now avoid craigslist like the plague.

5T1N9R4Y

Postby 5T1N9R4Y » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:57 am UTC

Qaanol wrote:16. Who is Spain?
17. Why is Hitler?
18. When is right?
19. Where was that stooped and mealy-colored old man I used to call Poppa when the merry-go-round broke down?

20. Balls!
21. What is a Catch 22?

(Is ist weird that I registered just to say "Balls!" ?)

bogd

Postby bogd » Sat Aug 13, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

OUGryphon wrote:
infoeon wrote:Your trace isn't completing properly because the UDP packets are confusingy the Cisco routers (see XKCD 935). Instead of using UDP you can tell tracetoute to use the ICMP protocol instead, which is known to be more stable in states that use Cisco routers within the 45.170/16 block

You have no idea what you just wrote, do you? Traceroute uses ICMP echo (ping) packets with an incrementing TTL and listens for the router dropping the packet when the TTL reaches zero.

Actually, it is implementation-dependent. Cisco's implementation uses UDP packets to high destination ports, while Microsoft's implementation uses ICMP.

To be fair, the UDP implementation is the correct one according to the standards. RFC 792 explicitly states that no ICMP messages (in our case, ICMP Time Exceeded) should be sent about dropped ICMP messages. So in order for the Microsoft (ICMP-based) implementation to work, every single networking device out there has to break the standard...

And yes, I did register just to post this. :P I just hate it when people correct others without even knowing what they are talking about... :evil:

addams

Postby addams » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:52 pm UTC

unus vox wrote:Just say "manimal"

If, the male is a 'manimal', then; What is a female?

Girble? Herfriend? Shedevil? What?!

Manimal make sense. An animal that can do human stuff, sometimes.

What is the female equivalent?
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

webgiant

Postby webgiant » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

collegestudent22 wrote:Not to mention there exists at least one Time Lord other than the Master and the Doctor, apparently.

There are at least four confirmed Time Lords still unaccounted-for in the Doctor Who Universe, and the Doctor's own "I'd know" detection system for other Time Lords is unpredictable at best. The mere existence of bubble universes and fancy pocket watches preventing the Doctor from detecting Time Lords means there could be dozens, hundreds, even thousands of Time Lords outside the Time Lock.

''Romanadvoratrelundar'' ('''Romana''' for short), whose whereabouts are unknown. The Tenth Doctor has made a vague reference to her not doing so well in the Time War, but she was no longer President of Gallifrey at the point of the Time Lock and thus could be anywhere, especially as a terrible fate could have included being imprisoned far from the region of the Time Lock. If she was alive and free from the Time Lock she had nine regenerations remaining.

The Rani's whereabouts are unknown, as of her last appearance in the TV series and subsequent appearances in the books.  While Interference - Book One tells us that Father, the leader of the Faction Paradox (a time-traveling voodoo cult) has the Rani's head on his wall, along with the head of the Master and other Time Lords, events in Ancestor Cell and The Gallifrey Chronicles (not to mention the Master's presence in the New Series) in which the Eighth Doctor interferes with the Timeline, make the Rani's whereabouts unknown. Or you could just ignore the books and say her whereabouts are unknown.

The Meddling Monk.

K’anpo Rinpoche/Cho-Je, a Time Lord exiled to Earth who did not die and has not been mentioned in the books.

collegestudent22

Postby collegestudent22 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 6:00 pm UTC

While this is the case, I would say that "unknown whereabouts" pretty much equates to "stuck in the Time Lock" unless there is some indication that this is not the case. Obviously, the writers have made it possible to restore these characters in the "post-Time War" show, but since they have not, I wouldn't assume they are free from the Time Lock without more knowledge.

However, the reference to a Time Lord here is clearly post Time War, and thus indicates a third Time Lord escaped. Of course, the Master went into the Time Lock with the rest of the Time Lords when Rassilon attempted to bring Gallifrey out of it into Earth orbit, but still.

Or am I missing something?

bibliophilea
Location: Here. Now. This moment. This place. This dimension.

Postby bibliophilea » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:40 am UTC

Do we know whether or not Susan got stuck in the Time Lock? I've only seen Doctor Who from the First through part of the Third Doctor, and then the Ninth, Tenth, and Eleventh. The last I saw of Susan, she chose to remain on Earth after defeating the Daleks.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:57 am UTC

I kept wondering about the weird, weird world where all of the YOU's in the strip actually refer to the same YOU.

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:33 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:I kept wondering about the weird, weird world where all of the YOU's in the strip actually refer to the same YOU.

Well... if you exclude the one with the UDP packet and the Cisco router...
and if you also assume the MEs are all the same...

then you find that Babe Ruth and Nancy Pelosi's relationship started badly when he nearly ran her down in a stolen wienermobile. She spotted him again while driving a Street View van, and started stalking him. She eventually got her revenge by firing a harpoon at him from the bottom of a wishing well. It was a shock for each of them to find out that the other was a Time Lord, when they ran into each other in the TARDIS parking lot on the third moon of wherever it was; this prompted them to reevaluate their opinions of each other. When they were both invited to Violent J's party, they fell into conversation, and came to realise that they had much more in common than they had first thought. One thing led to another, and now they're getting married... if only Nancy would put the phone away.

I'm not sure I'd like to live in that universe, but I'd love to read some of its history.

FrobozzWizard

Postby FrobozzWizard » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:00 pm UTC

Monika wrote:/edit: There are now 111111 posts in this subforum. No, that's not 63 ;) .

Of course it's not 63. Anyone familiar with twos-complement knows that's -1 (although I have to admit it looks like an overflow error).

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”