0940: "Oversight"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mart.schneider

Re: 0940: "Oversight"

Postby mart.schneider » Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:22 pm UTC

Wow, that's a real great comic. And the site sounds pretty interesting too (never heard of it before). Anyone willing to send me an invite? I'm in the middle of a marathon training schedule, so it's probably a good time to try it.

finity

Postby finity » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

kurkosdr wrote:Wow! Email addresses exposed in a public forum, and completely unobscured. I would recommend putting a picture of a red bow over those addresses, but harvest bots probably wouldnt understand the gesture. Anyway, I didnt expect that from xkcd members.

I gave up that battle a long time ago - now Gmail fights it for me, and fights it quite effectively.

Also, Fitocracy is very cool. I love the feedback loop whereby XKCD helped inspire the creation of Fitocracy, then an XKCD comic gave them a bump. Go Internet!

finity

Postby finity » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:21 pm UTC

Kaijyuu wrote:Panel 3 looks awesome. Is that practical to do?

Pretty sure it's a sex swing... http://bit.ly/djm14j (Mostly NSFW)

cphite

Postby cphite » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

kurkosdr wrote:Wow! Email addresses exposed in a public forum, and completely unobscured. I would recommend putting a picture of a red bow over those addresses, but harvest bots probably wouldnt understand the gesture. Anyway, I didnt expect that from xkcd members.

Yeah, really... they'd better be careful or they might start getting spammed... :roll:

asdfzxc

Postby asdfzxc » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:31 pm UTC

My first thought was that the title of the comic was a super-meta reference to how Randal accidentally posted one of his filler comics in place of the update last night.

Stargazer71

Postby Stargazer71 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:57 pm UTC

Leave it to Randall to make me feel awkward looking at a bunch of stick figures at work.

devnulluk

Postby devnulluk » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:17 pm UTC

Have invites if people need.

bluefox2890

Postby bluefox2890 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:35 pm UTC

devnulluk wrote:Have invites if people need.

How about one for jtaylor.josh@gmail.com?

pennypyro

Postby pennypyro » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:47 pm UTC

I do recall reading somewhere that an orgasm burns 100 calories.

jmurphy42

Postby jmurphy42 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 4:52 pm UTC

The link and codes provided are already used up. Does anyone else have an invite code to post? I'd love to sign up. :(

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

If you're talking about my email address in the opening post:

Sneakemail is an anti-spam service. You set up an account there and it generates random email addresses for you (forwarded to you main address, of course). The nice thing is that you can delete them again without any fuss. And make new ones. I never use doubles, every website, every account, gets a unique email address. I currently have 143 email address with sneakemail. So not only can I immediately remove an address I get spam on, I'll always know where the leak is coming from.

It's pretty awesome in keeping your main mail spam free. My real mail is known in very few places. Good friends, my bank, my university, sneakemail itself of course, but that's about it.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

bigjeff5

Postby bigjeff5 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

TFTD wrote:
dicktalens wrote:Anyway, we're in closed beta right now, but here's an invite link so you can skip the waiting list! http://ftcy.co/oyGgkk. Alternatively you can use the invite code XKCD

-Dick

Closed beta yea? But here is a link to our website, in a public forum, were you can register and use the website immediately.
But maybe, I just don't understand the concept of closed beta.

Or maybe you should have read the top of that post too:

dicktalens wrote:Hey guys! One of the co-founder of Fitocracy here... we're huuuuge xkcd fans, so we were both super excited and humbled to see an xkcd involving us! :) One of the original inspirations for Fitocracy was this -> http://xkcd.com/189/

Oh hey, makes a lot more sense now, doesn't it?

It's not like they don't want a lot of people in their beta, it's that they want to limit how many people are in their beta. It should be obvious that, though it is popular, not everyone in the world reads XKCD. In fact, only a few hundred people read the forums (1,000 tops, but even if it's 10 times that the point stands), not everyone is going to read this thread, and not everyone who does read it will want to sign up.

However, if Fitocracy is partly inspired by "leveling up", you can bet your ass XKCD readers are its target audience. Where better to get beta testers than the XKCD forums?

EDIT:

And the XKCD invites are all used up, bummer. This was, of course, always a possibility.

Murphy2112

Postby Murphy2112 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:18 pm UTC

Two hours of that kind of mad, rope-swinging sex? I gotta find me a stick-girl...

chaosspawn

Postby chaosspawn » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:19 pm UTC

Amusingly enough though I used to use http://caloriecount.about.com/ to track things, it does include sex as an activity and even distinguished between different levels of activity
This space intentionally left blank.

icedrake

Postby icedrake » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:30 pm UTC

I actually got curious enough about fitocracy to stop lurking on XKCD and sign up. Anyone with an invite to spare, I'd very much appreciate one. diaherpouwk@dunflimblag.mailexpire.com

(That's not a throwaway address. I mean, isn't "dunflimblag" memorable?)

JohnTheWysard

Postby JohnTheWysard » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:47 pm UTC

"He said, 'Oh, darling, I want you in the worst way!', and the worst way I could think of was standing on our heads in a hammock."\

{forgot the source but it seems apropos}

WyomingPBS

Postby WyomingPBS » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:55 am UTC

Actually, Randall is wrong. The calorie value of sex is well documented; just look in the Compendium of Physical Activity:
http://sites.google.com/site/compendium ... l-activity

The Compendium is the reference from which *ALL* "how many calories did you burn" apps and websites draw their numbers. Because you burn at a different rate depending on your weight, it provides "Metabolic Equivalents" (METs), a baseline which you then multiply six ways from Sunday to get the amount burned for your specific body parameters. I know my METs well because I spent a year counting calories, and as a result lost a whopping hundred pounds from my starting weight of 260.

So, let's look at sex. Up through the last revision, "vigorous" sexual activity rated 1.5 METs, which is really not much more than standing in line (1.2 METs), but the 2011 revision bumps this up to 2.8. Vigorous it may be, but it's still largely just sitting/standing/lying with some really enthusiastic thrusts by specific body parts. So... say you have a 180-pound (82kg) man who has participated in "two hours of cardio". That's (2.8 * 3.5 * 82)/200 * 120 = about 480 kCal. Not a bad workout! Certainly not as much as a brisk (3mph) walk at 3.3 METs (560 calories) or low impact aerobics at 5.0 METs (860 calories) or moderate bicycling at 8.0 MEts (1370 calories!) but sure a lot more fun.

What most people fail to realize is that your two hours of sex (or, more likely, 30-60 minutes of more conventional exercise) is just a drop in the calorie bucket. If your body at rest burns 1800 calories and you get 600 calories worth of exercise, that's only 2400 calories you can afford to eat without gaining weight -- and just watch how a couple of cans of cola, burger, and fries add up... don't get me started about the half or even whole pizza I used to eat in one sitting... easily 1600 calories for the one meal, plus another 800-1000 for breakfast+lunch+snacks, and it's no wonder I blimped out before I was 40.

tias42

Postby tias42 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:04 am UTC

Yay, now I can spend time reading fitocracy and not exercising instead of reading other websites and not exercising. :p

hazelorb

Postby hazelorb » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:09 am UTC

Look up The Dieter's Guide to Weight Loss During Sex - Richard Smith
Hilarious book with calorie counts. Not sure if the rope swing is in there but plenty of other funny activities are.

gormster

Postby gormster » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:24 am UTC

I'm a little ashamed to say that sex is probably the most intense exercise I ever get. For this reason I try to do it at least twice a week ;)
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

hamjudo

Postby hamjudo » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:50 am UTC

I had to wait until after I swam for half an hour, so I could level up. I'm level 2 at 80/250.

[Details of the sex life of a 50 year old have been omitted so as not to shock the sensibilities of any 20 year old readers.]

addams

Postby addams » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:10 am UTC

This comic made me speechless.
It is one of the all time greats!

Who ever Mr. Monroe is he is a genus.
He made stick figures sexy. That is so funny.

Thank you XKCD. So, funny. So, sweet. So, sexy. Yeah!
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

SteevyT

Postby SteevyT » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:24 am UTC

Slightly off topic: Where do people thing marching band would fit?

The Lone Lynx

Postby The Lone Lynx » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:48 am UTC

Anyone have an invite? I'd be interested in trying this out!

stickycosmo@gmail.com
Tethered to the stars.

Faranya

Postby Faranya » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:57 am UTC

hamjudo wrote:[Details of the sex life of a 50 year old have been omitted so as not to shock the sensibilities of any 20 year old readers.]

More cunnilingus than we could possibly imagine?

Lerkistan

Postby Lerkistan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:33 am UTC

jpk wrote:And am I the only one who thinks this comic would have been better with just the last two panels?
(nicely done with her hair in the last panel... oh my god, I'm becoming a connoisseur of stick figure art... save me...)

I think it would have been funnier. But only because the first part kind of distracts me.

Oh me yarm, I find the 2nd panel really erotic. What has become of me?

u38cg

Postby u38cg » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:11 am UTC

Shidoshi wrote:

Or, you know, those are just junk emails.

Or the whole thing about posting email addresses publicly is ridiculously overdone. Mine sits in various public places and I get c. 200/month. Google deals with it, but frankly that's manageable by hand.
When will we win the war on memes?

VDZ

Postby VDZ » Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:09 am UTC

So you get stats from working out? Is there anything you can do with those stats? I'm never interested in what level I am in MMORPGs, what interests me is that I can now go to <more dangerous area>, equip <better item>, fight <stronger enemy>, and so on.

Daggoth

Postby Daggoth » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:36 pm UTC

So you get stats from working out? Is there anything you can do with those stats? I'm never interested in what level I am in MMORPGs, what interests me is that I can now go to <more dangerous area>, equip <better item>, fight <stronger enemy>, and so on.

Do <harder workouts> jump <higher> run <faster> be <more attractive> fight <punks> get <laid>

Jerome Chiu

Postby Jerome Chiu » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:31 pm UTC

finity wrote:
Kaijyuu wrote:Panel 3 looks awesome. Is that practical to do?

Pretty sure it's a sex swing... http://bit.ly/djm14j (Mostly NSFW)

Or maybe Randall has just watched 3D Sex and Zen. :mrgreen:

Dymara

Postby Dymara » Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:23 pm UTC

VDZ wrote:So you get stats from working out? Is there anything you can do with those stats? I'm never interested in what level I am in MMORPGs, what interests me is that I can now go to <more dangerous area>, equip <better item>, fight <stronger enemy>, and so on.

Meatspace actually has this really dynamic, multifaceted strength system which will enable your character to do progressively more difficult physical feats in all aspects of interaction with the world around you. Hella complicated to spade out, though.

Livestrong also includes sex and light/moderate/intense sexual activity for calorie tracking.

Also, I gotta say:
WyomingPBS wrote:Vigorous it may be, but it's still largely just sitting/standing/lying with some really enthusiastic thrusts by specific body parts.

Lol, straight vanilla people.

BobTheElder

Postby BobTheElder » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:31 pm UTC

I hate to be a spoilsport, but I remember reading (somewhere reliable but i forget where) that sex is one of the least beneficial of everyday 'exercise' activities
On the other hand, I just had an amazing inspiration hit me for 'Sexercise Fitness Classes' ! Tagline- Get fit while doing what you love most! Ah, if only I was an attractive lady. Yeah, it'd basically be an orgy..... but socially acceptable!
Rawr

Stanistani

Postby Stanistani » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:23 pm UTC

BobTheElder wrote:I hate to be a spoilsport, but I remember reading (somewhere reliable but i forget where) that sex is one of the least beneficial of everyday 'exercise' activities
On the other hand, I just had an amazing inspiration hit me for 'Sexercise Fitness Classes' ! Tagline- Get fit while doing what you love most! Ah, if only I was an attractive lady. Yeah, it'd basically be an orgy..... but socially acceptable!

Better tagline:
Get fit while doing it!

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:39 pm UTC

The comic and this thread remind me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmKwF_Si734

On a related note, I think I've seen YouTube videos embedded in posts before instead of put in as links. Anyone know how to do that?
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

sinx

Postby sinx » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:16 am UTC

WyomingPBS wrote:Actually, Randall is wrong. The calorie value of sex is well documented; just look in the Compendium of Physical Activity:
http://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories/sexual-activity

The Compendium is the reference from which *ALL* "how many calories did you burn" apps and websites draw their numbers. Because you burn at a different rate depending on your weight, it provides "Metabolic Equivalents" (METs), a baseline which you then multiply six ways from Sunday to get the amount burned for your specific body parameters. I know my METs well because I spent a year counting calories, and as a result lost a whopping hundred pounds from my starting weight of 260.

So, let's look at sex. Up through the last revision, "vigorous" sexual activity rated 1.5 METs, which is really not much more than standing in line (1.2 METs), but the 2011 revision bumps this up to 2.8. Vigorous it may be, but it's still largely just sitting/standing/lying with some really enthusiastic thrusts by specific body parts. So... say you have a 180-pound (82kg) man who has participated in "two hours of cardio". That's (2.8 * 3.5 * 82)/200 * 120 = about 480 kCal. Not a bad workout! Certainly not as much as a brisk (3mph) walk at 3.3 METs (560 calories) or low impact aerobics at 5.0 METs (860 calories) or moderate bicycling at 8.0 MEts (1370 calories!) but sure a lot more fun.

I find this really hard to believe, unless it assumes that everybody only has sex in the missionary position (how would you even have vigorous sex in missionary?). Being on top (as a girl) is definitely way more intense a "brisk walk". It feels a lot more like kicking on a kickboard in the pool, which is about 250kcal/30min. Also for a lot of positions the guy has to support nearly the entirety of a girl's weight for a lot of reps...

fernie

Postby fernie » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:18 am UTC

I don't know what you are talking about asking for invites... I just tried the "xkcd" invite code and it worked.
Ccaught me at the start of a half marathon training session so I guess I'll be "power leveling" for a while there.

cephalopod9

Postby cephalopod9 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:49 am UTC

Are there badges?
I want badges.

BobTheElder

Postby BobTheElder » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:36 am UTC

sinx wrote:
WyomingPBS wrote:Actually, Randall is wrong. The calorie value of sex is well documented; just look in the Compendium of Physical Activity:
http://sites.google.com/site/compendium ... l-activity

Oh, someone DID get there before me, and they found actual source to quote! Anyways, first intuition says they're wrong, but if you think about it... the actual movement you're making tends to be quite a small one, and you probably aren't moving your entire body anyway, for instance fast walk you have to push those leg muscles to move your whole body weight forward whereas a thrust or even lifting your body off theirs and back down, is relatively easy... and I suspect if you paid attention you'd find your heart-rate doesn't go as high as you might assume either.
I find this really hard to believe, unless it assumes that everybody only has sex in the missionary position (how would you even have vigorous sex in missionary?). Being on top (as a girl) is definitely way more intense a "brisk walk". It feels a lot more like kicking on a kickboard in the pool, which is about 250kcal/30min. Also for a lot of positions the guy has to support nearly the entirety of a girl's weight for a lot of reps...
Rawr

dumbzebra

Postby dumbzebra » Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:22 pm UTC

I have a feeling that the second panel will show up in some Forum thumbnails soon.
As the great philosopher Socrates once said: "No."

PHDrillSergeant

Postby PHDrillSergeant » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:14 pm UTC

Fitocracy lacks "Sanding the floor", "Waxing the car", and "Painting the fence". Clearly Miyagi was just getting Daniel to do chores because he was a lazy jerk.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”