0946: “Family Decals”

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ebola8mystinkymonkey

Re: 0946: “Family Decals”

Postby ebola8mystinkymonkey » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:18 am UTC

I totally made my own to screw with all of the people who have these. Dinosaurs eating children!!!

http://hphotos-sjc1.fbcdn.net/264153_10150232718456512_579151511_7611243_4439204_n.jpg

- R

Invisiblemoose

Postby Invisiblemoose » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:23 am UTC

Those stickers are super common in suburban metro Atlanta. I'll reckon they have a presence all over the country -- maybe you guys who claim to have never seen one will start noticing them now.

Anyone sure what the alt-text is referring to?

pbnjstowell

Postby pbnjstowell » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:42 am UTC

I'd do xkcd family stickers, as long as there were light sabers involved.

Also,
jpk wrote:
Meng Bomin wrote:The van the right is the reason that the Mormons, Amish, Hasidic Jews, and conservative Catholics will inherit America [with some other ethnic groups thrown in].

(by the way, you do realize that of the groups you've listed only the Hasidic Jews are even potentially an ethnic group, right?)

According to Wikipedia, Mormons and Amish are also considered ethnic groups. They fit the definition. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_ethnic_groups with explanations.

PS. My car has an elephant in the traditional family-sticker spot.
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

lukewarm

Postby lukewarm » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:49 am UTC

jpk wrote:On topic: why is it that people with "baby on board" signs never take them off when the baby is not actually in the car? Or rather, why is it that I see so many "baby on board" signs on cars which manifestly do not contain a baby in the passenger compartment? And should I call a cop and have them rescue the baby from the trunk? And isn't a "baby on board" sticker more or less a confession to child abuse? (think about it...)

You don't understand. The sign refers to the driver who is susceptible to baby-like behavior.

drazen

Postby drazen » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:53 am UTC

So this seems to be saying "Haha, look at those dumb people!" but does so in such an arrogant, pretentious way as to make the "rich" couple seem like petulant jerks. Personally, I'd rather have love and family than a pile of money (although I'll take both if I can get them, obviously).y I live alone with no pets, though, so I guess I could only have one adult sticker, which would probably be sort of sad-looking. The person in this thread with one man and one cat is being much more clever.

Actually, the second car seems to have stickers that look like Randy and Megan; maybe that's just the ransom money her family sent. Heh.

Also, the Honda Fit (assuming the person upthread identified it correctly; I couldn't tell) is one of the ugliest cars on the road right now. A friend recently described it to me as "the illegitimate offspring of a minivan and a station wagon."

PatrickRsGhost

Postby PatrickRsGhost » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:03 am UTC

I've seen these all over Georgia as well. Some variations I've seen include Mickey Mouse ears on everyone (indicating they went to Disney World), the kids dressed up in some sort of uniform (soccer, tennis), the mother dressed in a tennis outfit, cats, dogs, fish, and sometimes a cross, indicating they're a Christian family. I've also seen footprints, either bare, or flip-flops/sandals. A couple of times I've seen deer tracks or deer heads used to symbolize the family.
PRG

An important message for you:

RAGBRAIvet

Postby RAGBRAIvet » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:12 am UTC

Time Kitten wrote:I had always wondered if those weren't kill tallies like on fighter planes.

No, proper placement for that would be along the fender or underneath the driver's window.
Although if you were to put a large self-adhesive "X" over one or more of the figures I wonder how long it would take before the car's owner would notice.

intruder313

Postby intruder313 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:22 am UTC

Thankfully these ridiculous stickers have not made it here to the UK. "Baby on Board" is bad enough....

If they are here I imagine I will start to notice them soon, all around me, giving me yet another reason to hate fellow road users!

RedBrick

Postby RedBrick » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:24 am UTC

adho wrote:They're fairly common in Australia. I find them weird. They sometimes include pets.
What if it dies? Or the parents split up?
Where do you get them? One moment there were none, the next they were all over everyone's cars.
I've never seen them in shops. Was there a memo or something that was sent out?

I can't remember where I saw it - it was either on failblog or a friend sent me a photo - but I've see a car obviously post-divorce/death with these stupid stickers - there was a husband, a scratchy white remnant of a wife, a boy and a scratchy white remnant of another boy.

I've also seen these stickers referred to as "a handy pointer on how many body bags to bring".

mrpaape

Postby mrpaape » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:12 am UTC

I just saw a car with 4 Star Wars walkers set up in this fashion. 2 of the Large AT-AT walkers and 2 of the smaller AT-ST Walkers. I gave them a cheer as I passed and they laughed.

Maea

Postby Maea » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:15 am UTC

Hah. I looked at this one and thought, "You know, I'm ok with that."

$$ is overrated :wink:

lmarinho

Postby lmarinho » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:21 am UTC

Amazing, I live in northeast Brazil and just before seeing this comic I was pretty sure these family car stickers were a local thing. xkcd just keeps changing my life.

jonadab

Postby jonadab » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:26 am UTC

Are these…common? I’ve never seen them before.

I've never noticed them here (in central Ohio). Whether that means they're uncommon here or simply implies that I don't pay close attention to stickers on cars, I don't know. It could even be some of each.

Maxpm

Postby Maxpm » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:42 am UTC

What about those stickers that read something along the lines of, "My son is an honors student?"

Those always bugged me for a lot of reasons.

Maea wrote:Hah. I looked at this one and thought, "You know, I'm ok with that."

$$ is overrated :wink:

Good point.

chrth

Postby chrth » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:44 am UTC

Since this thread is turning into a "which parts of the country will get this comic" listing, I can confirm that they're pretty popular in Central NC.

Based on personal experience, I can also point out that having a child (or three) is not as much of a cash sink until they hit about 15 or 16, and the more important reality is that the DINKs have more time.

The best one I saw was a family where the Mom sticker was very obviously missing.

Which brings up my biggest concern about something like this: imagine you're the parent, and something tragic happens to your child. Do you leave the sticker on with the constant reminder of their existence, or do you find the strength to accept the finality of their death and remove the sticker? Not a fun proposition in either case.

darkwing0o0rama

Postby darkwing0o0rama » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:52 am UTC

Get decals and put the word "Hitlist" over the family stickers, so people know you take out women and children (and pets), too.
Murder for hire is a word of mouth business.
Or "One down, Four to go." With an X over the adult.

(not intentionally putting this after the death of a family member post, that would be sad)

JakeArkinstall

Postby JakeArkinstall » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:54 am UTC

chrth wrote:Which brings up my biggest concern about something like this: imagine you're the parent, and something tragic happens to your child. Do you leave the sticker on with the constant reminder of their existence, or do you find the strength to accept the finality of their death and remove the sticker? Not a fun proposition in either case.

Maybe somewhere in between and rotate it 90 degrees?

adho

Postby adho » Fri Sep 02, 2011 11:55 am UTC

scarletmanuka wrote:[I'm not sure why this would be a problem.

I just feel that having it brandished all over your car would be odd.
Is your ex now not your family? Do you include all the kids? Do you keep it on as a sad reminder of what life used to be like?
I don't know. I'm a kid. [goat noise]

sbarr

Postby sbarr » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:17 pm UTC

Reminds me of this http://youtu.be/xv-0Sr-BV5A

thevicente

Postby thevicente » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:19 pm UTC

That fad stuck here. I've seen all combinations, including pets, grandparents, gay and lesbian couples, single women w/kids and adhesive smudges left from ripped stickers in place of ex-partners.

Not wanting to join the crowd nor be left behind, I made mine myself. May I show you the rear of my motorcycle:

Image0148.jpg
bike fender

Image0149.jpg
bike fender detail

Lazy Tommy

Postby Lazy Tommy » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:41 pm UTC

Qaanol wrote:Are these…common? I’ve never seen them before.

They're quite common here in New Jersey, so it's not just something that's confined to big-family areas like Utah or the Midwest.
I would totally go for Randall's version. :-D

Apeiron

Postby Apeiron » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:49 pm UTC

Qaanol wrote:http://xkcd.com/946

Title: “My decal set has no adults, just a sea of hundreds of the little girl figures closing in around a single cat.”

Here in Virginia their fairly common.

Apeiron

Postby Apeiron » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:54 pm UTC

feyayeruka wrote:oh wow, this is a total GOOMHR moment!
I live in Australia, these damn awful decals are ubiquitous. And annoying. Seems like just about every family car has a set depicting all family members. But I was recently driving and saw this:
BMW Z4 my family stickers by majikfaerie, on Flickr

Seriously - anyone putting My Family stickers on a BMW Z4 deserves to have their car confiscated for crimes against humanity! Or at least against discernment in automobiles.

How dare people be proud of their families?! Or worse yet, care about something you don't!

paladinsama

Postby paladinsama » Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:58 pm UTC

Those decals have also been common in Lima for the last few years, I always wondered who started the trend.

LeiraHoward

Postby LeiraHoward » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:03 pm UTC

jonadab wrote:

I've never noticed them here (in central Ohio). Whether that means they're uncommon here or simply implies that I don't pay close attention to stickers on cars, I don't know. It could even be some of each.

They are all over the place here (also in central Ohio). So I think you just don't pay close attention. :) They've been around for quite some time, too, as I remember seeing them on vehicles before I went to college.

I've traveled to most of the 48 states (and also to Hawaii) and have seen them all over, so I don't think they are a regional thing. Heck, I was in a "Bed, Bath, & Beyond" (large household goods store chain) the other day, and they were selling packages of them next to the cash register.

I had to capitulate and get a minivan to haul our kids, but there is NO WAY I'm putting those stickers on it. My husband joked about it and got the Look Of Death.

And as far as the ones where someone has died... they actually sell some stick figure stickers with angel wings, so I suppose people could put those in for the dead relatives. I wouldn't, but that's me.

If you want an idea of how popular the things are, just search the internet for stick family cars or some such variation, and see all the stores you find. Besides which, there are a ton of places that will make a little image with all the same people that you can put in your signature.

Andrusi

Postby Andrusi » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:06 pm UTC

Time Kitten wrote:I had always wondered if those weren't kill tallies like on fighter planes.

Suddenly I feel distinctly less weird.
Not named Dennis Miller.

LeiraHoward

Postby LeiraHoward » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:09 pm UTC

Apeiron wrote:
I live in Australia, these damn awful decals are ubiquitous. And annoying. Seems like just about every family car has a set depicting all family members. But I was recently driving and saw this:

Seriously - anyone putting My Family stickers on a BMW Z4 deserves to have their car confiscated for crimes against humanity! Or at least against discernment in automobiles.

How dare people be proud of their families?! Or worse yet, care about something you don't!

I don't think that was the original poster's intent. It was more a "look, this is a very expensive and classy car... why are you putting stuff on it" ... this would fall (sort of) under the same category as dressing up in a tuxedo for a formal dress party, but then wearing (and keeping wearing during the entire party) a baseball cap with your team's logo on it. It isn't a problem that you like the team (well, depending on the team... :wink:), but it is not "right" to be wearing such a casual item to a formal party. So it is a similar idea- why would you put a casual item on an expensive car? What next? Those hideous metal bull testicles dangling from the rear axle? (I HATE those things...)

marieC

Postby marieC » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:16 pm UTC

I registered with the site just so that I could give the Honda Fit a shout out and then I read this:

drazen wrote:Also, the Honda Fit (assuming the person upthread identified it correctly; I couldn't tell) is one of the ugliest cars on the road right now. A friend recently described it to me as "the illegitimate offspring of a minivan and a station wagon."

Dude, I love my car though I have to say my husband totally agrees with you. He put the bike rack on it, not his car, so that it'd look "cooler". Whatever. My car has personality (she's funny, right?) and I can put near anything in it AND get 38mpg. And entire IKEA living room can go in the back of my car.

Uh, on topic, these stickers are EVERYWHERE. I want to know where you live to have not seen them. There's a robot family version we saw once that might be in our future. Self replicating robots.

niknowj

Postby niknowj » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:25 pm UTC

I would like to see combination of both stickers. :D

Deltamcl

Postby Deltamcl » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:25 pm UTC

A while ago I had posted on Facebook that I wanted a set of family decals that were running across the window, being chased by zombies. The Facebook crowd didn't think it was that funny, but I'm sure there's a market for it somewhere.

servman

Postby servman » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:39 pm UTC

The fact that they're stick figures lends them to the xkcd store for sure. The one we need is the family fleeing from a raptor (possibly on a hoverboard).

dttth

Postby dttth » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

I like how everyone's just ignoring the questions about the alt-text.

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:42 pm UTC

LeiraHoward wrote:
Apeiron wrote:

I don't think that was the original poster's intent. It was more a "look, this is a very expensive and classy car... why are you putting stuff on it" ... this would fall (sort of) under the same category as dressing up in a tuxedo for a formal dress party, but then wearing (and keeping wearing during the entire party) a baseball cap with your team's logo on it. It isn't a problem that you like the team (well, depending on the team... :wink:), but it is not "right" to be wearing such a casual item to a formal party. So it is a similar idea- why would you put a casual item on an expensive car? What next? Those hideous metal bull testicles dangling from the rear axle? (I HATE those things...)

A pox upon those people that personalise their own property with things that they like. Everything should be factory default, or only have sheep decals.
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

OtherRob

Postby OtherRob » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:42 pm UTC

chrth wrote:Based on personal experience, I can also point out that having a child (or three) is not as much of a cash sink until they hit about 15 or 16, and the more important reality is that the DINKs have more time.

Wait, you mean it gets worse? They're gonna cost me more? :shock: Though I agree with you 100% about people without kids having more time. And more sleep...

chrth wrote:Which brings up my biggest concern about something like this: imagine you're the parent, and something tragic happens to your child. Do you leave the sticker on with the constant reminder of their existence, or do you find the strength to accept the finality of their death and remove the sticker? Not a fun proposition in either case.

I imagine that if something were to happen to one of my kids, the last thing I would be thinking about are stickers on my car.

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:44 pm UTC

Mithiwithi wrote:My own car has two stickers: one adult male, and one cat. Hey, my friend Catherine is my family!

Awwww.
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

dp2

Postby dp2 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:48 pm UTC

They're somewhat common in Michigan.

"Baby On Board" however....really? I haven't seen one of those since 1986. By the time the Simpsons did a song about them, they were already retro.
Last edited by dp2 on Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:52 pm UTC

chrth wrote:Based on personal experience, I can also point out that having a child (or three) is not as much of a cash sink until they hit about 15 or 16, and the more important reality is that the DINKs have more time.

You're right about the time, but feeding and clothing and housing and medically maintaining even a small human costs a lot. It's just that when it's rolled into your weekly grocery bill or your monthly insurance premium, it's not as obvious as a new car payment or college tuition. Check your employer's insurance plans and see how much less you'd be paying for just yourself or yourself and spouse.

Which brings up my biggest concern about something like this: imagine you're the parent, and something tragic happens to your child. Do you leave the sticker on with the constant reminder of their existence, or do you find the strength to accept the finality of their death and remove the sticker? Not a fun proposition in either case.

I thankfully don't know, but I don't see how it's any worse than the family photographs and the kid's bedroom still being attached to the house.

resu427

Postby resu427 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

I'll just leave this here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xv-0Sr-BV5A

BrianB

Postby BrianB » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

What is not being discussed here is how the people with the kids are obviously douchebags and jealous of the people with money.

I mean, why else would they park sooooo close as to make it impossible for the DINKs to get in the driver-side door of their car?

Odd_nonposter

Postby Odd_nonposter » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:04 pm UTC

I interpret the title-text as meaning "this cat owns everyone in this family." Which, if you've ever owned a cat, is not very far from the truth.
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”