0956: "Sharing"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

s0merand0mdude

0956: "Sharing"

Postby s0merand0mdude » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:10 am UTC

Alt text: "In the new edition of The Giving Tree, the tree uses social tools to share with its friend all the best places to buy things."

Time to dust off the Silverstein still sitting on my bookshelf, because I completely forget what the plot was to this one.
Last edited by s0merand0mdude on Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
unus vox wrote:Then again, you're looking for characterization, compelling dialogue, and cohesion in a 3-panel web comic with stick figures.

adanedhel728

Re: 0956: "Sharing"

Postby adanedhel728 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:14 am UTC

This is one of my all-time favorites.

unus vox

Postby unus vox » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:14 am UTC

Basically, the moral of the story is the power of giving - not for any reward or even for self-worth, but simply how extraordinary it is to give freely and wholly.

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that Randall's saying copyright laws and concern for fair profit has made this moral obsolete.
Spoiler:

ammy55

Postby ammy55 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:19 am UTC

So? Just convert the .azw back to a .mobi and then read it.

BruinDanny

Postby BruinDanny » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:20 am UTC

The real problem here is that he's never heard of The Giving Tree.

Alex-J

Postby Alex-J » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:30 am UTC

"The Giving Tree" was rather depressing to me. The boy just kept taking and leaving and I thought all the tree wanted was to play with/be with the boy (although I don't think the tree ever said that). When the old man (who was the boy) came back to sit on the stump I was never sure if that's really what the tree had in mind.

I can't tell there is a point (like we no longer share with modern technology, or when we don't share our stories never get told, or how annoying it is to get links to things that require a subscription/purchase) or if it should just be funny.

doctorrobert13

Postby doctorrobert13 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:45 am UTC

Alex-J wrote:"The Giving Tree" was rather depressing to me. The boy just kept taking and leaving and I thought all the tree wanted was to play with/be with the boy (although I don't think the tree ever said that). When the old man (who was the boy) came back to sit on the stump I was never sure if that's really what the tree had in mind.

I can't tell there is a point (like we no longer share with modern technology, or when we don't share our stories never get told, or how annoying it is to get links to things that require a subscription/purchase) or if it should just be funny.

I think it was more to emulate the sometimes thankless task of parenthood in that the tree loved unconditionally and gave whatever the boy asked for without requiring anything in return. I'll agree that it is depressing- you can take it as a sad observation on the state of the human condition that the boy would be ungrateful and abandon the tree for so long. But there is perhaps purpose in it if you see the tree as a parent.
Now whether he/she was a poor parent by simply giving without conditioning the boy with a system of morals that would have led him to be more grateful, or that he/she didn't prepare the boy for life where people simply wouldn't give to the boy is up for debate.

westrim

Postby westrim » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:54 am UTC

Sharing is no longer caring, it is monetizable!

WikedX

Postby WikedX » Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:55 am UTC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5paKczJn4IU&ob=av3e

I feel that link is necessary. Anyway this comic if nothing else reminded me of The Giving Tree. I haven't read that book since I was a little kid.

It also reminds me of the whole Amazon issue with George Orwell's Nineteen Eighty Four. It's really sad to see DRM is in place like this, but what is more sad is people are so accepting of it. Like in the comic, instead of breaking the DRM they just gave up. It really sucks seeing people so passive. I've even had several conversations with people that said if a game(it was on a game forum) doesn't contain DRM, they are failing as a serious company.

teucer

Postby teucer » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:06 am UTC

doctorrobert13 wrote:
Alex-J wrote:"The Giving Tree" was rather depressing to me. The boy just kept taking and leaving and I thought all the tree wanted was to play with/be with the boy (although I don't think the tree ever said that). When the old man (who was the boy) came back to sit on the stump I was never sure if that's really what the tree had in mind.

I think it was more to emulate the sometimes thankless task of parenthood in that the tree loved unconditionally and gave whatever the boy asked for without requiring anything in return. I'll agree that it is depressing- you can take it as a sad observation on the state of the human condition that the boy would be ungrateful and abandon the tree for so long. But there is perhaps purpose in it if you see the tree as a parent.
Now whether he/she was a poor parent by simply giving without conditioning the boy with a system of morals that would have led him to be more grateful, or that he/she didn't prepare the boy for life where people simply wouldn't give to the boy is up for debate.

Part of the problem is that the tree is doing everything it can for the boy, and he obviously does fully appreciate it, but he never does anything in return. I loved the book when I was little, up until the point where somebody pointed out that it could just as easily have been titled "The Taking Boy."

Of course, for the grown-ups in the room, there are other Shel Silverstein works to enjoy... (And yes, Silverstein really is the lyricist there. I do not kid you even slightly, which is also what she said.)

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:32 am UTC

Now I want to attach this to my local gumtree.

nazgand

Postby nazgand » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:33 am UTC

He was obviously making a reference to "Dead Drops". Basically people put USB flash drives in objects, walls and such. It is a new type of file sharing, completely off-line.

Rachie

Postby Rachie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:05 am UTC

Obligatory:
The Giving Tree read aloud

I can't find an ebook version yet.

Azkyroth

Postby Azkyroth » Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:10 am UTC

unus vox wrote:Basically, the moral of the story is the power of giving - not for any reward or even for self-worth, but simply how extraordinary it is to give freely and wholly.

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that Randall's saying copyright laws and concern for fair profit has made this moral obsolete.

What does concern for FAIR anything have to do with current copyright laws?

J L

Postby J L » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:00 am UTC

BruinDanny wrote:The real problem here is that he's never heard of The Giving Tree.

I thought the problem was the guys who deposited that file had never heard of it.

What is the common interpretation of the story? Is it really a critique of mindless taking, or does it advocate selflessness? At least the alt text seems to suggest a critique of the increasing commercialization of the net.

But either way around, it's a nice irony, and as long as you cannot lend e-books to your friends (as far as I know, it's not possible to do that here in Germany) I see no need to bother about them.

hifi

Postby hifi » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:19 am UTC

The thing I found funny was that she carries a laptop around, ready to whip out for any surprise USB ports.

But yeah, I thought this was about how DRM pretty much goes against human nature (Randall's done it before - #86)

MisterH

Postby MisterH » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:34 am UTC

If you really like the idea of finding books in random places, check out www.bookcrossing.com the world is our library.

Invisiblemoose

Postby Invisiblemoose » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:51 am UTC

Mike's fooling around in some well.

gerardw

Postby gerardw » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:12 am UTC

Sticking a USB in strange trees sounds like a great way to get "Your computer has been infected with then Dutch Elm virus."

The Boz

Postby The Boz » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:57 am UTC

<3 Shel.
MAKE LOVE, NOT SPAM!

webgrunt

Postby webgrunt » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:04 am UTC

unus vox wrote:Basically, the moral of the story is the power of giving - not for any reward or even for self-worth, but simply how extraordinary it is to give freely and wholly.

That's what I thought, too. However, judging by other interpretations posted here, maybe the author had something different in mind--or maybe he was deliberately ambiguous so that people would be free to interpret it as they will.

Frankie

Postby Frankie » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:39 am UTC

Unless I'm mistaken, it seems that Randall's saying copyright laws and concern for unending profit has made this moral obsolete.

FTFY.

The Giving Tree was written in 1965. It was a product of hippie idealism about the power of unconditional love. If you read it to your kids these days, you should probably leave some time at the end for a discussion about the value of gratitude.

When the book was written, copyright lasted 28 years, renewable for a second 28 year term, meaning that it would become public domain by 2017. Then came retroactive copyright extension; as of now it's 95 years & infinitely extensible. Somehow I doubt that perpetual copyright will encourage Shel Silverstein (1930-1999, RIP) to write more books, but I'm sure the shareholders of Harper Collins appreciate it greatly. And the various forms of DRM provoke similar concerns.

ozkidzez91

Postby ozkidzez91 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:44 am UTC

I've never heard of "The Giving Tree". I was just annoyed by the DRM, I hate it (I own a Kindle too, hurray for hypocrisy). I'm from Australia though so I guess it wasn't released here?

s^2

Postby s^2 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:50 am UTC

I had visited "dead drops" in my city before, but now I will probably visit all of them again just to leave this ebook there... :D

actually, that might be exactly what Randall is secretly expecting to happen by publishing this comic...

so lets try to put this story on all >600 dead drops in the world, so that anyone can see another xkcd fan has been there before :wink:
(use good old ANSI plain text of course, not proprietary shit like, uh... pdf? or even worse...)

tubegeek

Postby tubegeek » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:05 pm UTC

s^2:

It's a picture book, so I think plain text would make it hard to get the whole experience.

I found a pdf on a private torrent site, so it's out there.

Also:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/18/books/review/the-childrens-authors-who-broke-the-rules.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all&src=ISMR_HP_LI_LST_FB
Last edited by tubegeek on Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

radtea

Postby radtea » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:06 pm UTC

Azkyroth wrote:What does concern for FAIR anything have to do with current copyright laws?

"Fair" is a code-word for "my demands are totally reasonable and anyone who disagrees is a grasping ingrate who kicks puppies". This implied meaning is independent of political orientation: union thugs and sociopathic bankers are equally likely to use it.

There are any number of meaningful words that can be used if one wants to be clear: equitable, moderate and reasonable come to mind. That people use the morally loaded and epistemically vacuous "fair" instead demonstrates either muddy thinking or muddy morals, or both.
Coming on Midsummer's Day to a Web Browser Near You: http://www.songsofalbion.com

tuseroni

Postby tuseroni » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:40 pm UTC

it doesnt mater what word you use, politicians/demagogues tend to be like vampires to the english language. they find a word with a positive connotation and use it til it has a negative connotation and then move on to another synonym.

KShrike

Postby KShrike » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:57 pm UTC

I never used an e-book before.
So they are protected by DRM, eh? That sucks...
On 10/10/10, My Little Pony started to appeal to adult males. Ya rly!
Forget the /b/ memes, and go watch the show and see what I mean. After all, the /b/ memes exist because the show itself is so cleverly written. Check it out!

MichaelKarnerfors

Postby MichaelKarnerfors » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:02 pm UTC

The Giving Tree, read by Shel Silverstein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TZCP6OqRlE

Some interresting questions:

The tree lives to give. It is happy when it gives. The boy/man takes from the tree, and is happy.

Some questions one might ask in relation to the orignal story:

1) Does every act of taking require giving something in return?
2) Is giving something and not expecting anything except possibly appreciation inherently bad for the giver?
3) Are the acts of only giving and not expecting anything except possibly appreciation inherently bad for the giver?
4) Is it immoral to only take from one party and not give anything except thanks and appreciation back?

Some questions one might ask in relation to the comic:

1) Does every act of taking preclude giving something in return?
2) Is taking something and not giving anything except possibly appreciation in return inherently good for the giver?
3) Are the acts of only taking and not giving anything except possibly appreciation inherently good for the giver?
4) Is it moral to only take from one party and not give anything except thanks and appreciation back?

In short: where do we draw the line between use and abuse?

/Michael

project2051

Postby project2051 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:24 pm UTC

Book sharing is not dead, I have a kindle with about a 1000 books on it now. I bought 3 so far, Usenet is a wonderful place to find books.

ozkidzez91

Postby ozkidzez91 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:42 pm UTC

project2051 wrote:Book sharing is not dead, I have a kindle with about a 1000 books on it now. I bought 3 so far, Usenet is a wonderful place to find books.

I don't know why companies bother with DRM, their products either get super popular and people decide to break the DRM (which always seems to happen), or so many are turned away by it they go out of business or remove the DRM.

sgtrock

Postby sgtrock » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:44 pm UTC

KShrike wrote:I never used an e-book before.
So they are protected by DRM, eh? That sucks...

Although I've been reading the forums for a long time, I've never felt the urge to register until now. I just had to respond to this. Amazon, Apple, and other megasites would like to you to believe that the only ways to get ebooks must include DRM as part of the solution set. Nothing could be further from the truth. (Please forgive the lack of URL formatting for the referenced sites. As a first time poster I don't have rights to the URL BBCode.)

There are plenty of sources for DRM free material. The choice to include DRM (or not) is a decision made by the publisher, retail outlet, and/or the author for works still under copyright. One good source for ebooks that fall under public domain and are DRM free is Project Gutenberg:

http://www.gutenberg.org/

If you like to read science fiction and fantasy, try Webscription:

http://www.webscription.net

for reasonably priced, DRM free ebooks.

Googling for 'drm free ebook store' turns up tons of other sources. The top two listings for me were consolidated lists:

http://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/E-book_stores

http://blog.text2go.com/2008/01/04/the-top-13-drm-free-ebook-sites/

Another resource worth checking out is Calibre. It has been released as FOSS so checking it out is very easy:

http://calibre-ebook.com/

Calibre is a personal library management system that is designed to support many, many e-readers. It includes a built-in e-reader which allows you to dabble your toes in the water without committing to any sort of additional hardware purchase.

Calibre includes a 'Get Books' function that will search dozens of online bookstores and repositories for you. The results that come back include price and DRM status (if known) for every store. Really nice for comparison shopping.

tetsujin

Postby tetsujin » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:00 pm UTC

hifi wrote:The thing I found funny was that she carries a laptop around, ready to whip out for any surprise USB ports.

Not only that, but a USB cable as well. I wonder if the tree has a B receptacle (which is typical for a device you'd plug a cable into) or an A plug (which you'd expect on a dead drop - allowing passers-by to plug computers directly in if they don't have a cable)? I'd be pretty surprised to see an A-A cable in someone's laptop bag...

The thing that gets me about dead drops is there's so much potential for mischief. Really, it's not safe to plug random USB connections into your computer. A malicious dead drop could do things like auto-run (if you have that enabled) some nasty software or give your laptop a surge and fry your USB ports. It may also be possible, if there are well-known devices out there with vulnerabilities in their host-side drivers, to identify as that device, causing the user (if they're easily manipulated, or if the OS makes this automatic) to download and install the driver, then send some data to the driver that causes the exploit to occur (though maybe given the nature of USB that's not too likely...)

I expect other vectors of attack wouldn't be very practical these days - like having the USB device appear as a Bluetooth device and then push a file to the host machine (I don't think OSes are so lax about Bluetooth security these days) or making it a networking device in the hopes that the machine will join a LAN and you'll be able to access file shares on the host or break in via the network connection (I don't know - would Windows or Mac automatically start using an ethernet adaptor if you plugged it in? Network Manager on Linux might...)
---GEC
I want to create a truly new command-line shell for Unix.
Anybody want to place bets on whether I ever get any code written?

StClair

Postby StClair » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

To a more cynical and/or Randian eye, the moral of the book seems to be "altruism will be exploited to the limit and completely used up by the unthinking and ungrateful."

higgins2k

Postby higgins2k » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:30 pm UTC

The late Shel Silverstein has a new book out, Every Thing on It, with 145 previously unpublished poems and drawings. NPR's Morning Edition featured several poems read aloud by Mr. Silverstein's relatives and others.

See http://www.npr.org/2011/09/20/140566486/shel-silversteins-poems-live-on-in-every-thing for the audio.

Vash

Postby Vash » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:35 pm UTC

Never seen such a fine 5-panel "parable."

mooncow

Postby mooncow » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:40 pm UTC

The moral is that if you give unconditionally you will end up as a cut-down stump, but if you don't then you will end up on the receiving end of the anti-DRM anti-copyright brigade's sententious posturing.

Lathe

Postby Lathe » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:00 pm UTC

mooncow wrote:The moral is that if you give unconditionally you will end up as a cut-down stump, but if you don't then you will end up on the receiving end of the anti-DRM anti-copyright brigade's sententious posturing.

+1

Loonytalker

Postby Loonytalker » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

...and in the world of instant connects, this comic is already in the pop culture section Wikipedia's entry for The Giving Tree. Made me smile.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”