0961: "Eternal Flame"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

cemper93

Postby cemper93 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:41 am UTC

Alt text: There's always the hope that if you sit and watch for long enough, the beachball will vanish and the thing it interrupted will return.

Wait, thursday? I didn't wait an eternity this time.

Oflick

Postby Oflick » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:42 am UTC

Mouseover: There's always the hope that if you sit and watch for long enough, the beachball will vanish and the thing it interrupted will return.

An update on a Thursday, pretty notable I must say. I almost thought I was wrong about what day it is. I think it's fitting, to be honest. If it was a comic that was simply saying "Aww, Steve Jobs died, how sad", I probably wouldn't have liked it, but I thought this was appropriate.

GreatS

Re: 0961: "Eternal Flame"

Postby GreatS » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:43 am UTC

Took me awhile to realise what it was for, but quite fitting indeed, though I still don't get the title text.

Oflick

Postby Oflick » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:45 am UTC

GreatS wrote:Took me awhile to realise what it was for, but quite fitting indeed, though I still don't get the title text.

You mean you don't get "There's always the hope that if you sit and watch for long enough, the beachball will vanish and the thing it interrupted will return."? Don't you ever see that (or the windows equivalent) and hope that you'll be able to get back to what you were doing soon?

hifi

Postby hifi » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:46 am UTC

For those that don't get it, it's referencing some OS. The ball is like the egg timer in windows (well, the 'you clicked something so I'll just let you know I'm loading that by changing the mouse to something else' mouse) though I can't remember which OS it is. Also, I don't know if this is a dig at said OS's loading times, but either way, I found it funny.

Shiyiya

Postby Shiyiya » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:48 am UTC

hifi wrote:For those that don't get it, it's referencing some OS. The ball is like the egg timer in windows (well, the 'you clicked something so I'll just let you know I'm loading that by changing the mouse to something else' mouse) though I can't remember which OS it is. Also, I don't know if this is a dig at said OS's loading times, but either way, I found it funny.

MacOS. Because Steve Jobs just died.

Khorbin

Postby Khorbin » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:50 am UTC

hifi wrote:For those that don't get it, it's referencing some OS. The ball is like the egg timer in windows (well, the 'you clicked something so I'll just let you know I'm loading that by changing the mouse to something else' mouse) though I can't remember which OS it is. Also, I don't know if this is a dig at said OS's loading times, but either way, I found it funny.

I don't think it's supposed to be "funny," really. It's a reference to Steve Jobs dying, and the ball is from a Mac.

hifi

Postby hifi » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:52 am UTC

Shiyiya wrote:MacOS. Because Steve Jobs just died.

Makes sense, I suppose.. but I don't see how the beachball mouse has anything to do with his death.. :? Unless this was just a general Mac-themed comic to go with the Mac-themed news..?

lalop

Postby lalop » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:54 am UTC

It's kind of a tribute to Steve Jobs being an "eternal flame", though the symbolism may be less flattering :P

hifi

Postby hifi » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:56 am UTC

lalop wrote:It's kind of a tribute to Steve Jobs being an "eternal flame", though the symbolism may be less flattering :P

Steve Jobs: Eternal Flame. Until 2011.

sjorford

Postby sjorford » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:57 am UTC

Animated GIFs normally annoy the heck out of me, but this one seems just about right.

Oflick

Postby Oflick » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:59 am UTC

sjorford wrote:Animated GIFs normally annoy the heck out of me, but this one seems just about right.

Yeah, especially when you consider it probably wouldn't have worked if it was just a still image.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:27 pm UTC

hifi wrote:
Shiyiya wrote:MacOS. Because Steve Jobs just died.

Makes sense, I suppose.. but I don't see how the beachball mouse has anything to do with his death.. :? Unless this was just a general Mac-themed comic to go with the Mac-themed news..?

maybe it is to imply the universe "thinking" about what to reincarnate Steve Jobs as?

Captain Chaos

Postby Captain Chaos » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:28 pm UTC

lalop wrote:It's kind of a tribute to Steve Jobs being an "eternal flame", though the symbolism may be less flattering :P

No, it is an eternal flame itself, commemorating Steve Jobs. In the shape of the spinning wait cursor from Mac OS X.

The tooltip text is saying that it would be great if Steve Jobs was just temporarily not responding to system events, in other words, that he wasn't really dead, but that in real life, whenever that cursor appears it's usually final and the application has died...

Apple should build this! It would be a great, geeky and entirely fitting memorial for Steve Jobs.

marsman57

Postby marsman57 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:31 pm UTC

Since no one laid it all out explicitly in one post and people still seem confused:

The stick figures are standing at the (rather impressive) grave of Steve Jobs which in the comic has been equipped with an eternal flame that looks remarkably like the "wait" cursor in OSX. The joke, in so far as it is one, in the alt-text is that the figures are sitting there staring at it, hoping the flame (wait cursor) will go away such that what you were waiting on (Steve Jobs) will return. Sadly, much like a program hang, the beach ball will not vanish and the person will not be coming back.

Edit: Mostly ninja'd by Captain Chaos, but I'll leave my interpretation.

Dr.Dan

Postby Dr.Dan » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:34 pm UTC

I don't think it's a tribute, rather a "I Hate You" one..
because here, we waited long enough, and now ...

GreatS

Postby GreatS » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:42 pm UTC

Oflick wrote:
GreatS wrote:Took me awhile to realise what it was for, but quite fitting indeed, though I still don't get the title text.

You mean you don't get "There's always the hope that if you sit and watch for long enough, the beachball will vanish and the thing it interrupted will return."? Don't you ever see that (or the windows equivalent) and hope that you'll be able to get back to what you were doing soon?

Me=fail badly, I seriously didn't get it, no clue how, but I never ever created the link between the rotating thingie and a beachball... ever... although I did understand them waiting and everything.

StrenX

Postby StrenX » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:53 pm UTC

A fitting memorial, though I don't think Jobs would want something quite that complicated for a memorial. As for the alt-text, if I'm honest I small bit in the back of my mind thought it would be kind of funny if he actually did come back somehow (yes, I am aware my sense of humor is horrible). What with how much people like to liken Apple to a religion. Then there was time that his death was reported mistakenly. I think it's safe to say that neither of those apply here though.

Also, being on a mac, did anybody else sit and wait trying to figure out why their browser had frozen before realizing the spinning ball was a gif?

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:26 pm UTC

Is it just me or did Randall actually do a really good comic again? Sir Mustapha?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

chr1sg

Postby chr1sg » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:28 pm UTC

Guys, its a mac thing. You either get it or you don't. Personally I think the symbolism is great and a rather touching tribute.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Re: 961: Eternal Flame

Postby Qaanol » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

This thread was posted before the other one, as borne out by the topic numbers. This one’s title, however, lacks a leading zero and quote around the name.

On topic, I was actually half-expecting this. I thought yesterday, Randall is probably going to do a tribute comic. Will it be Friday or Monday? Or, what if he already has those comics planned, will he make a special one and post it Thursday?

I didn’t even (until just now) consider that Randall might have been prepared, just as newspapers were with a ready-made obituary, and just had to post the pre-made comic. I suspect that is not the case, and Randall made this one last night, but I can’t be certain. Does he have other impending celebrity memorial comics already made in a folder somewhere?
wee free kings

rabidmuskrat

Postby rabidmuskrat » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:30 pm UTC

I'd say this is probably the most tasteful comic we'll be seeing on the topic. Well done.

Uzh

Postby Uzh » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:40 pm UTC

AvatarIII wrote:maybe it is to imply the universe "thinking" about what to reincarnate Steve Jobs as?

Probably as an adroid.

BTW: I thought about a headline for the topic. I thought about some kind of photo of an empty Apple-CEO-chair with the headline: "New Jobs at Apple"...

Georg
"The problem is that humans have these darn biological limitations and if it gets too far from 293 K they'll start complaining, or die." http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=106000#p3483385

labberdasher

Postby labberdasher » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:41 pm UTC

Meh. First the news hit, and I wasn't really bothered. Now I've got teh sad.

But it's a good sad, so thanks Randall.

/ add me to the list of "What? Is it Friday? Hang on ... what's going on here? ..."

iwarriorpoet

Postby iwarriorpoet » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:45 pm UTC

I am a big fan of xkcd, but today's comic seemed a bit inappropriately snarky.

Invisiblemoose

Postby Invisiblemoose » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:47 pm UTC

It's you who didn't get it.

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:52 pm UTC

iwarriorpoet wrote:I am a big fan of xkcd, but today's comic seemed a bit inappropriately snarky.

Snarky?
Adjective:
Critical; cutting; testy.

How do you figure?
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:54 pm UTC

Uzh wrote:BTW: I thought about a headline for the topic. I thought about some kind of photo of an empty Apple-CEO-chair with the headline: "New Jobs at Apple"...

Georg

Jobs had already resigned, his death had no bearing over Apple's CEO position.

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:01 pm UTC

It must be dusty in here. There's something in my eye.

I was on an exercise bike, listening to a music podcast (helps me pedal to the rhythm) and looking at my moves on Words With Friends (on my iPhone) when I found out.

hifi

Postby hifi » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:03 pm UTC

Invisiblemoose wrote:It's you who didn't get it.

marsman57 wrote:The stick figures are standing at the (rather impressive) grave of Steve Jobs which in the comic has been equipped with an eternal flame that looks remarkably like the "wait" cursor in OSX. The joke, in so far as it is one, in the alt-text is that the figures are sitting there staring at it, hoping the flame (wait cursor) will go away such that what you were waiting on (Steve Jobs) will return. Sadly, much like a program hang, the beach ball will not vanish and the person will not be coming back.

I stand corrected and shall now spend a few hours in the box of shame.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:08 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:Is it just me or did Randall actually do a really good comic again? Sir Mustapha?

Well, now that you called me by name... I think this is one of the best things Randall has done in months. It's not easy to make a tribute comic with a sense of humour, and this is fitting in pretty much all aspects. I could complain that the alt-text does nothing but explain the "joke", but I am appalled that, even still, so many commenters here missed the point by such a huge margin.

MathJason

Postby MathJason » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:16 pm UTC

The Wikipedia article might help for those unsure what an eternal flame is:

The eternal flame commemorating U.S. President John F. Kennedy following his assassination in 1963 was the first time that an individual known person was given such an honor (as opposed to an Unknown Soldier). Henceforward, eternal flames would be designated more frequently around the world to honor the loss of persons of great significance, in addition to major tragic and momentous events.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eternal_flame

Uzh

Postby Uzh » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:20 pm UTC

Uzh wrote:BTW: I thought about a headline for the topic. I thought about some kind of photo of an empty Apple-CEO-chair with the headline: "New Jobs at Apple"...

Georg

I know that, but it seemed somehow - fitting. Although I couldn't come with the same joke in my mother tongue.

Georg
"The problem is that humans have these darn biological limitations and if it gets too far from 293 K they'll start complaining, or die." http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=106000#p3483385

JoeZ

Postby JoeZ » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:29 pm UTC

Personally, I would force quit, and have a look at Console for clues on how to make sure the app doesn't crash again, repair permissions, and if my other options fail me, restore a recent backup from Time Machine. That's just me though.

This was a very touching tribute, although it made me think it was Friday. My internal clock is set to XKCD, you know.
I can't go, this is too important. Someone is wrong on the internet!

undecim

Postby undecim » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:31 pm UTC

[musing]
I've begun to think of death lately, not in an "Holy s**t, I'm going to die some day", kind of way, but more in terms of what I want to accomplish between now and then. I kind of think of life now like a book, or movie, or song, or other piece of art. Once the pages are turned, the plot is done, and the theme has been resolved, there's nothing left to do but appreciate the beauty of what you've just experienced. Everyone is sad that a good story ends or that a great person dies, but it's always inevitable, and trying to continue it never works quite right (i'm referring to stories here, more than people... maybe it won't be so bad for the latter when it becomes possible).

In his 2005 commencement speech, Jobs said:
Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.

Great writers and artists don't fear loss. They put the greatest content they can between the start and end of their work, which can only reasonably be so long. In the same way, great people don't fear death, but instead do all they can before it comes.

Considering the brief time between Jobs resignation, and his death, I'd he put every ounce of effort into his life as possible. He didn't set out in life to simply save up enough money to retire (which he could have done long ago). He did as much as he could in his short 56 years.
[/musing]
Blue, blue, blue

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:39 pm UTC

Uzh wrote:

Georg

I know that, but it seemed somehow - fitting. Although I couldn't come with the same joke in my mother tongue.

Georg

i see what you mean, it would have been funny for someone to say "No More Jobs at Apple, however, CEO position available." back when he resigned.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:59 pm UTC

Heh, I only saw that there was a new comic when I was browsing Gizmodo. Usually I find there's a new comic by going into the mod control panel and seeing the shitstorm you jennies kick up every mon/wed/fri (through the magic of a hojillion reports, etc.), which effectively forces me to read the comic.

I think it's a fitting tribute. It reminds of my first office job, when I was stationed at a Mac for about 40% of the time, back in 2002. That goddamned Beach Ball would drive me nuts today, but back when I had all the time in the world, I was a patient fellow, and I found the eternally spinning ball mesmerising. It would have me hooked like a deer in headlights.

I think the world has lost someone very talented and admirable in Steve Jobs.
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

planetjay

Postby planetjay » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:08 pm UTC

Dammit, I thought my computer locked up. :cry:

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:15 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:
Роберт wrote:Is it just me or did Randall actually do a really good comic again? Sir Mustapha?

Well, now that you called me by name... I think this is one of the best things Randall has done in months. It's not easy to make a tribute comic with a sense of humour, and this is fitting in pretty much all aspects. I could complain that the alt-text does nothing but explain the "joke", but I am appalled that, even still, so many commenters here missed the point by such a huge margin.

How often the commenters miss the point, and by how large a margin, is often appalling. I would list specific examples but I don't want to start an argument here with those people.
Here I suppose is understandable to some degree, as not everyone has yet heard that Steve Jobs died, though most people have by now. I heard the news last night, myself.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Cloudster

Postby Cloudster » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:16 pm UTC

RIP, Steve. Ya did good, and changed the world in lots of ways for the better.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”