0965: "Elements"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

joee

0965: "Elements"

Postby joee » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:05 am UTC

Hovertext: Of all the nations, the armies of the ununoctium-benders are probably the least intimidating. The xenon-benders come close, but their flickery signs are at least effective for propoganda [sic]

I never realised there was a double-e in his name...

Also, typo in hovertext
Hi glasnt.

ryan7113

Re: 0965: "Elements"

Postby ryan7113 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:05 am UTC

Actually, I think the Hydrogen benders would be the least dangerous. And perhaps the Radium benders would be led by zombie Marie Curie.
Last edited by ryan7113 on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:07 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Standard. Because we use it. Goddamn do we have balls.

IIAOPSW

Postby IIAOPSW » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:06 am UTC

and the award for most intimidating element goes to....

cyanide!
-President of the peoples republik of the internet.

screw your coffee, i download my java!

mitra

Postby mitra » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:10 am UTC

String(1) benders most powerful are.

---
(1) as in string theory.
Last edited by mitra on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:57 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

solobutterfly

Postby solobutterfly » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:10 am UTC

Would this also make him an alchemist? He could probably make it look like he was turning lead into gold. But on further thinking, in the Avatar:The Last Airbender universe they have to have a nearby source for the elements to bend it, so unless Mendeleev is carrying around at least one atom of each element at all times, his bending would be ineffective.

jmlinden7

Postby jmlinden7 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:10 am UTC

IIAOPSW wrote:and the award for most intimidating element goes to....

cyanide!

Only if the carbon benders formed an alliance with the nitrogen benders.

ryan7113 wrote:Actually, I think the Hydrogen benders would be the least dangerous. And perhaps the Radium benders would be led by zombie Marie Curie.

http://media.photobucket.com/image/hindenburg/Swinging_Sixties/Pics%2520-%2520Iconic/Hindenburg.jpg
But yes to the second part.

SolkaTruesilver

Postby SolkaTruesilver » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:10 am UTC

For some reason, Magnesium-bending scares the hell out of me...

RyanW

Postby RyanW » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:11 am UTC

I suppose that mastering nitrogen, hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon could get you a fair approximation of air/water/earth/firebending, when used in the right combinations.

jspenguin

Postby jspenguin » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:12 am UTC

ryan7113 wrote:Actually, I think the Hydrogen benders would be the least dangerous. And perhaps the Radium benders would be led by zombie Marie Curie.

Hydrogen is the most abundant element in the universe. I don't know how bending works on the show (I've never seen it), but being able to control it means you have control over the sun...

Code: Select all

from __future__ import skynet

bhoot

Postby bhoot » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:14 am UTC

If you could control fissable or fusable elements, you could create nuclear explosions at will. I wonder how far away you can bend from to be safe.

pigslookfunny

Postby pigslookfunny » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:15 am UTC

I never watched the show, so I'm not exactly sure how this element bending works, but it seems to me that carbon benders would be pretty scary.

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:17 am UTC

Hah. Randall musta been watching the marathon today.

Toph already beat him to the transition metal bending, though.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

RyanW

Postby RyanW » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:19 am UTC

Also, it seems like polonium bending would be a decidedly bad tactic against the avatar, given that he could kill you in a matter if seconds before the radiation sickness set in. It'd be more of a BHG trick to discreetly use on people you didn't like.

A_of_s_t

Postby A_of_s_t » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:21 am UTC

I think Randall misinterpreted his audience seeing that many people that have posted on the forum have not seen the show.
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:

Sovtjek

Postby Sovtjek » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:24 am UTC

Still, cool for the people who have.

mitra

Postby mitra » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:24 am UTC

pigslookfunny wrote:I never watched the show, so I'm not exactly sure how this element bending works, but it seems to me that carbon benders would be pretty scary.

Just like ritual magic. Bender is supposed to make macroscopic movements with his/her limbs in correlation with the random macroscopic movements of large assemblies of elementary particles belonging to the same element.
At low level of the fabric of the reality these correlations are being noticed by some awesome machine learning algorithms which enforce the correlations by making the random movements of the elements less random which results in a certain level of controls of the elements by practitioner.

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:27 am UTC

IIAOPSW wrote:and the award for most intimidating element goes to....

cyanide!

Cyanide is a compound, arsenic might suit you better.

I, for one would rather be an oxygen bender, deprive the enemy of that element and you have won.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Monotonius

Postby Monotonius » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:27 am UTC

Do they create the elements or manipulate what is already present? If they can create them, ununoctium would also be radioactive.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:30 am UTC

joee wrote:I never realised there was a double-e in his name...

The two e's are pronounced separately, so his name is commonly romanized as Mendeleyev.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Sir_Read-a-Lot

Postby Sir_Read-a-Lot » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:32 am UTC

Reminds me of The 119 Little Pigs

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:37 am UTC

The benders in Avatar:TLA can control the so-called classic elements by making them move around using some kind of dancing telekinesis. For some reason only the Avatar can control all 4 elements, all the other benders can only control one element.

rbem84

Postby rbem84 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:40 am UTC

In defense of xenon bending, xenon is a potent inhaled anesthetic. Seems like rendering the other benders unconscious would be an effective strategy.

Ronfar

Postby Ronfar » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:41 am UTC

If xenon benders can get their hands on enough, they could use it to suffocate people.

Xenon can also be used as an anesthetic.
- Doug

solobutterfly

Postby solobutterfly » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:42 am UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:The benders in Avatar:TLA can control the so-called classic elements by making them move around using some kind of dancing telekinesis. For some reason only the Avatar can control all 4 elements, all the other benders can only control one element.

"Dancing telekinesis?" I guess if you consider several styles of martial arts dancing, then yes. I view it as less telekinetic but more a physical act of influencing the elements since it does involve martial arts forms and the characters do seem to require a certain amount of physical strength and fitness to have full control of the elements and are seen to be exerting themselves and stressing themselves.

edited for attempted clarity, but lets face it, I should have been asleep some time ago.
Last edited by solobutterfly on Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:52 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Evil Midnight Lurker

Postby Evil Midnight Lurker » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:46 am UTC

In the anime Seikon no Qwazer -- which I don't recommend for anyone who doesn't have a lactation fetish, because it really has nothing going for it but boobs -- the resident superhumans can manipulate but NOT create one chemical element each.

And yes, there is the one poor sap who technically has the ability to bend ununsomethingwithahalflifeofnanosecondsium. Worst superpower ever.

Stanistani

Postby Stanistani » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:49 am UTC

*in a monotone*

"I am Bender please insert element."

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:52 am UTC

solobutterfly wrote:
"Dancing telekinesis?" I guess if you consider several styles of martial arts dancing, then yes. I view it as less telekinetic but more a physical act of influencing the elements since it does involve martial arts forms.

Many martial artists practice their skills by doing all sorts of kata (or whatever they call it in the version they practice) which translate as a dance of sorts.

The telekinetic aspect fits as they do pretty much control their element with their minds while the 'dancing' acts like the controls for the telekinesis.

Mobius Strip

Postby Mobius Strip » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:54 am UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:The benders in Avatar:TLA can control the so-called classic elements by making them move around using some kind of dancing telekinesis. For some reason only the Avatar can control all 4 elements, all the other benders can only control one element.

The four types of bending are controlled by different types of real martial arts styles. Water bending is Tai Chi, air bending is Ba Gua, Earth Bending is Hung Gar (which I've studied a little of incidentally), and I don't remember offhand what style the fire benders use.

Mobius Strip

Postby Mobius Strip » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:01 am UTC

Plasma Mongoose wrote:
solobutterfly wrote:
"Dancing telekinesis?" I guess if you consider several styles of martial arts dancing, then yes. I view it as less telekinetic but more a physical act of influencing the elements since it does involve martial arts forms.

Many martial artists practice their skills by doing all sorts of kata (or whatever they call it in the version they practice) which translate as a dance of sorts.

The telekinetic aspect fits as they do pretty much control their element with their minds while the 'dancing' acts like the controls for the telekinesis.

Kata translates to form. The only similarity to dance is the involvement of choreographed movements.

And after looking it up, firebending was represented by Northern Shaolin in the show.

Narok

Postby Narok » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:05 am UTC

The funny thing is, the whole "control of the periodic table" has been done. An absolutely awful anime called Seikon no Qwaser. As you might expect, past the Qwasers of Iron, Oxygen, and Gold, the show gets really, really boring. But wait! There's more! See, these Qwasers, to fuel their elemental powers, require the essence of a pure maiden. Namely her breastmilk. No really. The kidnapping of a huge-tittied girl, solely for the consumption of her breastmilk, is a HUGE plotline. Also the Qwaser of Copper is a 14 year old lesbian who keeps her own bondage sex-slaves.

Yeah. It's all kinds of fucked up

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:08 am UTC

I have many avatar-obsessed friends. I'm using this on them.

Retsam

Postby Retsam » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:21 am UTC

Ha! This officially makes Avatar: The Last Airbender part of nerd culture, and totally legitimate to reference with other nerds and have the social awkwardness be on them when they don't get the reference. [/somewhat sarcastic, but only somewhat]

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:22 am UTC

Never heard of a hydrogen bomb? Plus most organic compounds have plenty of hydrogen in them. But points for zombie Marie Curie reference :D

Anyhow, Barium, Cobalt and Nitrogen would be good to master. Because then you can bend BaCoN!

/has never seen A:TLA

Adacore

Postby Adacore » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:24 am UTC

RyanW wrote:I suppose that mastering nitrogen, hydrogen, oxygen, and carbon could get you a fair approximation of air/water/earth/firebending, when used in the right combinations.

I suspect you'd also need silicon, at the very least, and probably calcium and aluminium, in order to get any decent control of earthbending.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:24 am UTC

Does this put Snapple up for bending?

Jared the Great

Postby Jared the Great » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:29 am UTC

I'm still waiting for the 1111th element, if possible.

Ununununium.
Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium
Spoiler:
Batman!

araveugnitsuga

Postby araveugnitsuga » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:29 am UTC

There already is a take on master of Chemical Elements, it's called Seikon no Qwaser.
Oxygen bender took oxygen out of his enemies, hydrogen makes explosions, the Iron guy is the main protagonist, Mercury was Eva Braun.

madock345

Postby madock345 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:32 am UTC

Mobius Strip wrote:

The four types of bending are controlled by different types of real martial arts styles. Water bending is Tai Chi, air bending is Ba Gua, Earth Bending is Hung Gar (which I've studied a little of incidentally), and I don't remember offhand what style the fire benders use.

Firebending moves are based mainly on the Northern Shaolin style of kung fu, but with a few techniques from Northern Seven Star Praying Mantis.
Also, While the Earthbending style used by most Earthbenders is rooted in the Hung Gar style of Kung Fu, Toph's style is uniquely based on Chu Gar Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu, as she is mostly self-taught.
"As the size of an Explosion increses the number of social situations it is incapable of resolving approches zero"
-Vaarsuvius, The Order of the Stick
Spoiler:
ethereal_fire wrote:madock345, I like your sig : )

Qwerty.55 wrote:I like your new recursive sig even better than before.

Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:57 am UTC

Any element on it's own has the potential to be dangerous.
Concentrate (insert element here) enough, then allow it to suddenly expand... profit.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

rpgamer

Postby rpgamer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:10 am UTC

madock345 wrote:Toph's style is uniquely based on Chu Gar Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu, as she is mostly self-taught.

This always made me wonder if that's the style Aang learned. Would make sense, but I never paid enough attention to note his form while earthbending. Could also be that, as avatar, he'd adopt his own style in the three extra elements.
All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”