0970: "The Important Field"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Netreker0

Re: 970: The Important Field

Postby Netreker0 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

Turing Machine wrote:
Indie wrote:
chridd wrote:
mr-mitch wrote:If it was meant to be cheque, then the alt text is hilarious.
"Check" is the American spelling.

"Check" is basically the phonetic spelling. Doesn't take a genius to see that the "American" spelling is the spelling you get if you ask someone who doesn't know how to spell "cheque" to write it down :roll:

Completely understandable but ideally when the correct spelling is pointed out the response is "Oh, ok, I didn't know, I'll try and remember it for next time." not "Oh yeah? well f*ck you and your spelling, this is how I spell it."

WOW you are a bigot.

I'd say it's a bit extreme to call him a bigot, but I did find Indie's post hilarious (I don't know if the hypocritical humor was intentional though), since pointing out "'Check' is the American spelling" doesn't imply that either spelling is "wrong," it just points out that there are different acceptable spellings. In contrast, Indie's own post is much closer to "Oh yeah? well f*ck you and your spelling" since it presupposes that the American spelling is incorrect, and that we should meekly thank the British for imposing their spelling on us.

Actually, maybe bigot isn't so inappropriate after all.

By the way, Indie, if you're going to push the idea that phonetic spellings must be dumb ones, you probably shouldn't be doing that as an English speaker. You've got nothing on Korean, or Chinese.
Last edited by Netreker0 on Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:05 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

rhomboidal

Re: 0970: "The Important Field"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:00 pm UTC

To: GHG
Subject: Your Recent Missile Launch
Message: Oops. Looks like you took out a target in Cairo, GEORGIA instead of Cairo, Egypt. Please login again to retry.

Sorry, no refunds or returns.

(If you forgot your login information, don't worry. We can quickly email it to you.)

Netreker0

Postby Netreker0 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:17 pm UTC

Wes Janson wrote:
SonicIce wrote:So I'm taking it Randall is anti-gun?

I'd be curious to know, but there's nothing in the alt-text that clearly indicates it..he's just pointing out a (possibly true) observation about gun sales.

As someone who sells guns for a living, I can state with 100% certainty that most places in the US just require an up-to-date valid driver's license to buy a gun. Payment via check depends on the store, but in my experience the'yre usually going to want to see the exact same driver's license anyways, so it's pretty much a given that if you can buy it, you can pay for it. Can't buy it, don't need to worry about payment anyhow.

I can see why on the abstract it would seem irrational to require more IDs to cash a check than to buy a gun, but I think it actually makes more sense when you think about it.

If you're cashing a check using a fake ID, then most likely you're trying to commit a crime right there (check fraud), and somebody gets hurt from it (even if that somebody is the bank or an insurer.)

If you're trying to buy a gun using a fake ID, it's most likely a crime (I don't know if buying a gun using a fake ID is inherently a crime, but chances are if you're doing so it's because some law put you into a class that can't buy that gun), and my gut tells me that they're probably a strong correlation between people who buy guns illegally (versus legally) and people who use guns in some sort of crime. Still, nobody's immediately hurt by the transaction, and there are probably more people who for some reason or another want to buy a gun illegally, but never use it illegally, than people who cash a check using a fake ID without actually taking anyone's money.

Now that I've typed that out, it really doesn't seem like the strongest argument, but that's probably why the current practice is the way it is. It's also possible that the penalties for letting someone write a bad check are more obvious. If a check bounces and you have no way to track down the customer, I imagine the store will pretty much always have to take a loss, but even if there is a steeper penalty for selling a gun to someone who shouldn't have one, the chances of getting caught are probably pretty small.

whindsoull

Postby whindsoull » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:30 pm UTC

Indie wrote:
chridd wrote:

"Check" is basically the phonetic spelling. Doesn't take a genius to see that the "American" spelling is the spelling you get if you ask someone who doesn't know how to spell "cheque" to write it down :roll:

Completely understandable but ideally when the correct spelling is pointed out the response is "Oh, ok, I didn't know, I'll try and remember it for next time." not "Oh yeah? well f*ck you and your spelling, this is how I spell it."

I found this post to be so profoundly, breathtakingly stupid that I registered an account for the sole purpose of saying so.

If Randall were to say 'color,' would you declare that 'colour' is the correct spelling, and that regional differences are no excuse for spelling things phonetically? How he spells it? No...it's how an entire damn country spells it, and it is listed as such in the dictionary. Nobody pointed out the "correct spelling." He was merely enlightening someone on the region difference. He didn't tell anybody "f*ck you and your spelling," but you basically did.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:09 pm UTC

It could still be funny even if there was a logical explanation. I think in the case of gun sales, it's not all that absurd - they're unrelated laws for unrelated situations, so it's probably too much to ask for internal consistency on that, and a lot of people in the US are more touchy about their "right" to buy a gun over their "right" to pay with a check. (And never mind a cheque - many places don't even take checks from adjacent states.) = D

The strip itself is hilarious. I like that he pauses typing in the last frame. Stoically expressive.

DavidRoss wrote:On a related topic, I believe there is a special place in hell for the person who came up with (and got us all to standardize our HTML to) "let's obscure the password yet have it be case sensitive". I spend much more time moving to another field to check the capslock state (the light is not always visible in a bright room) and back to the password field than I do cutting and pasting my e-mail address.

I just have my Caps Lock key disabled. *Shrug*
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:00 am UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:Type an extra zero by mistake and suddenly you've started WWIII.

To be fair, if you're launching long-range missiles in the first place, you stand a fair chance of doing that anyway. :)
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Turing Machine

Postby Turing Machine » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:02 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:It could still be funny even if there was a logical explanation. I think in the case of gun sales, it's not all that absurd - they're unrelated laws for unrelated situations, so it's probably too much to ask for internal consistency on that, and a lot of people in the US are more touchy about their "right" to buy a gun over their "right" to pay with a check. (And never mind a cheque - many places don't even take checks from adjacent states.) = D

The strip itself is hilarious. I like that he pauses typing in the last frame. Stoically expressive.

DavidRoss wrote:On a related topic, I believe there is a special place in hell for the person who came up with (and got us all to standardize our HTML to) "let's obscure the password yet have it be case sensitive". I spend much more time moving to another field to check the capslock state (the light is not always visible in a bright room) and back to the password field than I do cutting and pasting my e-mail address.

Why the scare quotes? There is a constitutional amendment about the right, after all.

Wes Janson

Postby Wes Janson » Sat Oct 29, 2011 3:57 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:It could still be funny even if there was a logical explanation. I think in the case of gun sales, it's not all that absurd - they're unrelated laws for unrelated situations, so it's probably too much to ask for internal consistency on that, and a lot of people in the US are more touchy about their "right" to buy a gun over their "right" to pay with a check. (And never mind a cheque - many places don't even take checks from adjacent states.) = D

I'm not so sure it's specifically about the "touchy" part as it is the frequency and significance of the actions required for both, and the consequences/likelihood of both.

Put another way, off the top of my head I'd estimate no more than 1 in 25 people buy a firearm and pay via check. So the frequency of having to check ID for the firearm is far, far, far higher for the frequency of having to check ID for the check.

I actually watched someone attempt to commit fraud by paying for a pistol by check, and they were stymied by the mandatory three-day waiting period that they'd forgotten about (and they never returned to pick up the gun, since they knew the check would be cashed and bounced within a day or two). It takes a special brand of stupid to attempt fraud on a firearms purchase, since all sorts of personal identification information is already required just to fill out the 4473 purchase form (name, address, birthdate, height, weight, birthplace, optional SSN, etc)...unless they're trying to use fake ID at the same time, they're going to be very easy to catch after the fact.

Theoretically someone with fake state-issued ID, fake state-issued concealed carry permit, and a fraudulent check, could walk in, buy a gun, pass a background check (since it checks for negative hits against identifying info rather than compares against an approved list), and walk out with the weapon. Assuming the store doesn't run the check through a verification company, they could theoretically get away with it. On the other hand, it's the sort of thing that would never work more than once in a given region, and odds are local law enforcement would devote considerable resources to trying to track the individual down regardless.

kyndo

Postby kyndo » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:05 am UTC

Netreker0 wrote:By the way, Indie, if you're going to push the idea that phonetic spellings must be dumb ones, you probably shouldn't be doing that as an English speaker. You've got nothing on Korean, or Chinese.

I get what you're going with this, but because I'm a trivia fanatic, I just can't help pointing out that you're using bad examples... the Korean writing system (Han-gul) is almost entirely phonetic (much more so that the way English (mis)uses the Roman alphabet), while the Chinese hanzi is based mostly on ideograms and so avoids the problem of phonetic spelling almost entirely.

And just to confuse the whole cheque/check arguement, many non English speaking countries also use the "cheque" version of the spelling. Also, I regularly hear "cheque" pronounced as "sheck". Maybe we should add "sheck" to the list if we're worried about phonetic spelling? lol.

And wouldn't it just be awesome if the missile launch system was online? I would definitely take the time to improve my (non-existent) hacking skills if this were the case! :D

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:46 am UTC

kyndo wrote: And just to confuse the whole cheque/check arguement, many non English speaking countries also use the "cheque" version of the spelling. Also, I regularly hear "cheque" pronounced as "sheck". Maybe we should add "sheck" to the list if we're worried about phonetic spelling? lol.

Only if we can force all "chequeing"* accounts to be denominated in "chequels".

*(How the hell is that not pronounced "tsheh-kway-ing" or at least "tsheh-kyu-ing"? Bloody French, only language where it takes three vowels and a consonant [eaux] to write one simple vowel sound [o]. Curse the Normans for infecting us with their bastardized vulgar Latin!).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

pbnjstowell

Postby pbnjstowell » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:37 am UTC

Evolving languages are silly. All these alternate spellings because we're borrowing from one another!

Maybe we should just start using Esperanto. Or Klingon. Do Klingons have a word for cheque?

(Esperanto does.)
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

Harry Voyager

Postby Harry Voyager » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:01 am UTC

pbnjstowell wrote:Evolving languages are silly. All these alternate spellings because we're borrowing from one another!

Maybe we should just start using Esperanto. Or Klingon. Do Klingons have a word for cheque?

(Esperanto does.)

Don't worry; use it for a few weeks and you'll have two. Heck, metric is already developing colloquial non-decimal units. A kilo isn't really a good unit for measuring, say, butter, but neither is a gram, so some areas have decided to split the difference and call a half-kilo a pfund. I'm sure more will develop the longer it is in use. People twerk the things they use regardless of how elegant the original developers ideas were (or thought they were).

ormaaj

Postby ormaaj » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:08 am UTC

No CAPTCHA? Or is the missile launch system using OpenID?

LtNOWIS

Postby LtNOWIS » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:23 am UTC

suso wrote:There is this restaurant where I live called The Trojan Horse. They have a physical card that you can fill out to join their club and one of the fields on the card is for your e-mail address. Directly below that field they have another one labeled "E-mail address again". Not sure if they are trying to be funny or someone just missed the point on that one.

That probably helps out a lot in cases of questionable penmanship.

kkn

Postby kkn » Sat Oct 29, 2011 10:46 am UTC

Is this a relevant case?

Cousj001

Postby Cousj001 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:16 pm UTC

I think the 'Report Abuse' button should be clicked.

kyndo wrote:
Netreker0 wrote:
And wouldn't it just be awesome if the missile launch system was online? I would definitely take the time to improve my (non-existent) hacking skills if this were the case! :D

They already are. Although if I wanted to launch them, then I wouldn't crack or hack it as I know the password is buffalo.
Magic is real, unless declared integer.

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

pbnjstowell wrote:Do Klingons have a word for cheque?
Not to my knowledge. We use Huch chaw' (lit. "money permit") to describe what you call a "credit card", but I think it'd nicely describe your "cheques" as well. One could perhaps also call them Huch 'echletmey ("money cards") as well.
ni'o mi nelci le zirpu sovmabrnornitorinku
Spoiler:
++$_ wrote:What's a "degree"?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/

pbnjstowell

Postby pbnjstowell » Sat Oct 29, 2011 5:40 pm UTC

tesseraktik wrote:
Not to my knowledge. We use Huch chaw' (lit. "money permit") to describe what you call a "credit card", but I think it'd nicely describe your "cheques" as well. One could perhaps also call them Huch 'echletmey ("money cards") as well.

Could you just say Huch nav?
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:22 pm UTC

pbnjstowell wrote:
tesseraktik wrote:

Could you just say Huch nav?
That would certainly be an option.

Maybe DIlmeH mabHom ("lesser treaty for paying")? I feel it expresses the notion that it's a matter of promised money, rather than actual money.
ni'o mi nelci le zirpu sovmabrnornitorinku
Spoiler:
++$_ wrote:What's a "degree"?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/

Coyne

Postby Coyne » Sat Oct 29, 2011 6:26 pm UTC

Jared the Great wrote:Everything else, they don't care about. Not even credit card information.

Credit card information isn't in the same category, because it is (almost universally) immediately validated with your bank.

Which is why Randall didn't use that in his comic (or the tool-tip) because he wanted to emphasize the "priority" that people assign to things. The tool-tip is most revelatory, because it is clearly much more important to the [gun store] to be certain who is giving them a check, than it is for them to be certain who is buying the gun.

People often reveal their real priorities in this way. For example, employers routinely say things like, "The most important thing is program quality." Then, when they're doing the review, what matters most? How many programs you completed and no consideration of quality is given at all. I see that as one of the biggest problems with US business today; because, in the same vein, the company is completely puzzled why the programs put into production are so crappy.

That's the software business, but you can put it into any business:

Employee gets paid by: Quantity of sales of phone service door-to-door.
Company can't understand: Why customers keep complaining of door-to-door people pushing services on them.

Employee gets paid by: Number of patients they simultaneously handle in the nursing home.
Company can't understand: Why patient care is substandard.

Employee gets paid by: Number of service calls they handle in a day.
Company can't understand: Why there are so many repeat service calls.

Employee gets paid by: Number of foster children whose environment they review every week.
State can't understand: Why so many foster children die in substandard environments.

...and so on.

So in the comic, the company is clearly more concerned about being able to send you spam, than it is concerned about you blowing up the wrong location.

C'est la vie.
In all fairness...

x-whiplash

Postby x-whiplash » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

I found it puzzling that when I was in the US I could not use my Norwegian driver's license as ID when I was buying liquor (I had to show my passport), but when I was traveling by plane I never got asked to show anything else.. (The people in security just got envious that my driver's license doesn't expire before I'm 100years old)

What annoys me most about the email verification fields is that the first field always allows you to choose a previously entered email address from the drop down menu (giving me 2 possible) whereas in the second one I have to enter the email address in full..

ryan7113

Postby ryan7113 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:32 pm UTC

dotancohen wrote:
jpk wrote:(and, by the way, passwords were case-sensitive and obscured for a hell of a long time before html was even plausible... this is just common sense, not some device to torment the weak...)

Logging into a server via SSH, there aren't even any stars! No visual feedback whatsoever. It is a fun game to play dont-bottom-out-the-cherry-keyboard while entering a password into an SSH login prompt.

Same with FTP and any command-line interface. It's pretty annoying. Especially if the password has different cases.
Standard. Because we use it. Goddamn do we have balls.

jpk

Postby jpk » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:22 am UTC

ryan7113 wrote:
dotancohen wrote:
jpk wrote:(and, by the way, passwords were case-sensitive and obscured for a hell of a long time before html was even plausible... this is just common sense, not some device to torment the weak...)

Logging into a server via SSH, there aren't even any stars! No visual feedback whatsoever. It is a fun game to play dont-bottom-out-the-cherry-keyboard while entering a password into an SSH login prompt.

Same with FTP and any command-line interface. It's pretty annoying. Especially if the password has different cases.

Um... not so much. Just type it. Are we seeing an epidemic of early-onset Parkinson's here, or what is causing this widespread inability to get a password right?

south

Postby south » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:14 am UTC

I entered my email address twice just to register and post in this thread.

Actually it ended up being six times, since I kept screwing up the CAPTCHA -- either those things are getting more difficult or the internet is making my brain think more like a spambot.

Fat Tony

Postby Fat Tony » Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:52 am UTC

wvoelcker wrote:
I'm actually having a hard time saying the American way to myself, now. Is it "Dik-shun-airy" ?

Dik-shin-air-ee.

AvatarIII wrote:there is never an i before the u in Platinum, even in British English

Pretty sure that he was proving his point with sarcasm.

Venetian Road wrote:In any dialect, the "a" in "dictionary" is the least emphasized syllable in the word.

I'm pretty sure most American accents pronounce the A more than the tion or the Y.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.

udqbpn

Postby udqbpn » Sun Oct 30, 2011 12:53 pm UTC

dik-shun-ary.

FoolishOwl

Postby FoolishOwl » Sun Oct 30, 2011 4:03 pm UTC

jpk wrote:Are we seeing an epidemic of early-onset Parkinson's here, or what is causing this widespread inability to get a password right?

Randall's "correct horse battery staple" is not only easy to remember, it's easy to type. However, on most occasions when I set a password, the rules for creating a password require a password that's more difficult to type. Even good touch typists are likely to make a mistake when typing "*x?^a7hjZL(S-0&", especially if it's a password that's recently been changed or otherwise seldom used.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

south wrote:I entered my email address twice just to register and post in this thread.

Actually it ended up being six times, since I kept screwing up the CAPTCHA -- either those things are getting more difficult or the internet is making my brain think more like a spambot.

Whoever invented captchas fails to understand that certain letters are very hard to discern when they're pushed together or skewed into weird proportions. Who'd have thought r and n, when pushed together, look like an m? I did, because that's messed me up on captchas a dozen fucking times.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

project2051

Postby project2051 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:41 pm UTC

Netreker0 wrote:
If you're trying to buy a gun using a fake ID, it's most likely a crime (I don't know if buying a gun using a fake ID is inherently a crime, but chances are if you're doing so it's because some law put you into a class that can't buy that gun), and my gut tells me that they're probably a strong correlation between people who buy guns illegally (versus legally) and people who use guns in some sort of crime. Still, nobody's immediately hurt by the transaction, and there are probably more people who for some reason or another want to buy a gun illegally, but never use it illegally, than people who cash a check using a fake ID without actually taking anyone's money.

For the first part: it is a felony, in fact purposely entering any false information on the purchase form is an felony. In MI. probably one of the most occurring illegal purchases for non illegal usage, is probably straw purchases by future police officers.

For in Mi. you can own a handgun at age 18, but FFls can't sell handguns (of handgun ammo) to anyone under 21 but in the state consumer to consumer sales/purchases can be made (A purchase permit/registration is still needed). So when someone under 21 goes into some kind of police school and are required to have their own handgun for training, they have to buy a used gun from someone, or many time have a older family member buy a new gun then "sell" it to them, which is technically illegal. The process is legal, the intent to transfer coming before the first purchase makes it illegal.

Partyr101

Postby Partyr101 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:48 pm UTC

This comic inspired me to quit XKCD forever. Its not funny anymore. Its the nerd equivilant of the Family Circus; I'm going back to to Irregular Webcomic.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:09 am UTC

whindsoull wrote:
Indie wrote:
chridd wrote:

I found this post to be so profoundly, breathtakingly stupid that I registered an account for the sole purpose of saying so.

If Randall were to say 'color,' would you declare that 'colour' is the correct spelling, and that regional differences are no excuse for spelling things phonetically? How he spells it? No...it's how an entire damn country spells it, and it is listed as such in the dictionary. Nobody pointed out the "correct spelling." He was merely enlightening someone on the region difference. He didn't tell anybody "f*ck you and your spelling," but you basically did.

Thank you, I couldn't have said it better. chridd wasn't saying "f*ck you and your spelling," he was just explaining to mr-mitch why it was spelled that way in the alt-text. And he's right; "check" is the American spelling, and "cheque" is the spelling used in, apparently, Australia and parts of Europe. If that's the way they want to spell it, all power to them, and same goes for "colour" and "favourite" and anything else they spell differently than us.
Anyone claiming either the American spelling or the British spelling of any of those words is wrong is just being difficult.

On a side note, it's always bugged me how some people think they can tell other people on the Internet what to do...
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

finity

Postby finity » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:16 am UTC

NiteClerk wrote:Great strip. I had to read it a couple of times before I got it. For some reason this reminds me of when President Reagan had Libya bombed in 1986. We accidentally hit the French embassy. One of the reasons given was that we didn't know that address was for the French Embassy. Over the next few days numerous countries faxed their embassy locations to the CIA and Pentagon. My favorite theory is that since France denied the U.S. permission to fly over French airspace, the pilots were tired after their detour. Oops.

Ha! We got them to head up the whole operation this time.

ConMan
Shepherd's Pie?

Postby ConMan » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:43 am UTC

Partyr101 wrote:This comic inspired me to quit XKCD forever. Its not funny anymore. Its the nerd equivilant of the Family Circus; I'm going back to to Irregular Webcomic.

I've got some bad news for you ...
pollywog wrote:
Wikihow wrote:* Smile a lot! Give a gay girl a knowing "Hey, I'm a lesbian too!" smile.
I want to learn this smile, perfect it, and then go around smiling at lesbians and freaking them out.

DavidRoss

Postby DavidRoss » Mon Oct 31, 2011 4:58 am UTC

dotancohen wrote:

I guess I should be thankful that at least we now have asterisks as we type and backspace actually backspaces instead of inserting an invisible ^H. I can touch type, but I don't always remember whether I pushed the CAPSLOCK key an even number of times and instead rely on visual feedback, which is fine if the field just before the password is the username or other text. But where it is not, I have to stop and look at the keyboard and squint at the CAPSLOCK light. I have no problem with putting in extra effort, but from a security point of view, case-sensitivity doesn't help, so it's unnecessary effort. Oh, theoretically it does, as it adds one bit of information per character typed, but from a user interface perspective, instead of requiring a minimum of a 7-character, case-sensitive password a better design would be to ask for a minimum of an 8-character case-insensitive password. Same security, but users move through it faster.

Just because it has always been done that way doesn't make it better. (And unlike an attempt to switch from a Qwerty keyboard to the supposedly more efficient Dvorak keyboard, dropping case sensitivity for passwords is transparent to the users.)

DavidRoss

Postby DavidRoss » Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:03 am UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:I just have my Caps Lock key disabled. *Shrug*

yOU DO? hOW DOES THAT WORK? i'D love THAT FEATURE!

dsawatzky

Postby dsawatzky » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:25 pm UTC

madjo wrote:I'd laugh at this were it not for the fact that I get (genuine) email not intended for me (not spam), on a daily basis.

Same here... I get emails from the Calgary/Edmonton area all the time.

"Dear Jeff, we would like to confirm your job interview for Monday at 11:00 am - Alberta Oil" (My name isn't Jeff)
"Hey Jeff, I can't make it to hockey practice tomorrow, so you'll be coaching alone."

It's been like this for years. I've asked these senders to change their address books, and to notify this guy Jeff, but it continues. I've started cancelling appointments on behalf of "Jeff" who can't get his email address right.

"Dear Jeff, sorry you couldn't make it to the gathering last Saturday. Here are some pictures of the kids having fun. Love Grandma."

scarletmanuka

Postby scarletmanuka » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:25 am UTC

Karilyn wrote:Seriously, does nobody in here type moderately fast? My email address is 21 character's long and I can type it, tab, and type it again, faster than I can type it, highlight it with my mouse, Ctrl+C, click the other box, Ctrl+P, then click the next box.

See, there's where you're going wrong. Of course waiting for the page to print out will take a while...

sween64

Postby sween64 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:43 am UTC

A huge GOMYHR moment for me.

adhair

Postby adhair » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:32 pm UTC

The alt text is often true in the U.S., especially depending on which form of ID. In Texas, my concealed handgun license lets me bypass all background checks (cheques? :P) since the FBI has a complete file on me anyway; Wal-mart might have a "two forms of ID" policy for any purchase paid for by check, though, whether that purchase is a shotgun or a loaf of bread. (I wouldn't know, since I don't shop there or use checks.)

TV4Fun

Postby TV4Fun » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:37 am UTC

Sigh at this whole thread. The reason you are required to type your password twice is that it is obscured and so you can't tell if you mistyped it. Requiring you to type an email address, which is generally not obscured and you can see if you mistype, is just idiotic. I have seen websites with registration forms that make you type your email address twice and only make you type your (obscured) new password once. It is insanity.
$_[0] wrote:rule 2:
Once a relationship ends, physical access to all relevant machinery is denied.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”