0972: "November"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Meem1029

Postby Meem1029 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:04 am UTC

Alt: November marks the birthday of Charles Schulz, pioneer of tongue awareness.

Hmm, interesting comic. That's definitely going to be in my head this month quite a bit. I was expecting something about No Shave November (which I am totally participating in) when I saw the title.

Edit: I'm very sorry for forgetting the url at first. It's my first thread lead in here. Please forgive me.
Last edited by Meem1029 on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:06 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:If it can't be done in an 80x24 terminal, it's not worth doing

HonoreDB

Postby HonoreDB » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:05 am UTC

Title text: "November marks the birthday of Charles Schulz, pioneer of tongue awareness."

So there's a Peanuts cartoon with the same joke? I bet it's Lucy. Lucy is somehow Black Hat Guy as a child.

Drooling Iguana

Re: 0972: "November"

Postby Drooling Iguana » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:06 am UTC

Being aware of your tongue isn't so bad as long as you don't think about your breathing too much.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:09 am UTC

That must have been a very difficult labor!
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

nothinglikeit22

Postby nothinglikeit22 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:12 am UTC

the similarities/ dependencies of taste and smell astound me.

carega

Postby carega » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:14 am UTC

"watch your tongue"? Is that the joke? If it is, i don't find it funny (not even with the charles schulz reference). Can somebody please explain?

Tirian

Postby Tirian » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:15 am UTC

Drooling Iguana wrote:Being aware of your tongue isn't so bad as long as you don't think about your breathing too much.

Or how much saliva you swallow.

Lerker

Postby Lerker » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:16 am UTC

This has been the first XKCD in a while that I didn't just instantly understand the joke, which was scary, but what was scarier is that I still don't get the alt text

Schadenfreude
Location: "I'm loyal to nothing, general...except the dream."

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:18 am UTC

Generally, it is wise to not cite your source when you steal a joke.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nM44tDCLKFk/TfvJ-EDJNMI/AAAAAAAAAn8/cgQmWyaZ50Y/s1600/linus-and-lucy.jpg

And yes, it is stolen. The joke is far from universal (unlike, say, a joke about superheroes wearing their underwear on the outside of their pants). Schulz did it better.
"Shake my hand. Come on, boys, won't you shake a poor sinner's hand?"

Lerker

Postby Lerker » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:18 am UTC

Tirian wrote:
Drooling Iguana wrote:Being aware of your tongue isn't so bad as long as you don't think about your breathing too much.

Or how much saliva you swallow.

Or how much Iguanas drool?

Sirence
Location: Bogs Binny neck too long. Bogs Binny realize he doesn't belong. Bogs Binny pain not physical.

Postby Sirence » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:29 am UTC

Schadenfreude wrote:Generally, it is wise to not cite your source when you steal a joke.

And yes, it is stolen. The joke is far from universal (unlike, say, a joke about superheroes wearing their underwear on the outside of their pants). Schulz did it better.

Judging by the alt text, this comic is an homage to Schulz rather than theft of any of his work. To say Schulz did it better implies there was an attempt to compete. This point appears to be false because the title, gag, and alt text work as a direct reference to the comic you provided.
Last edited by Sirence on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

kingofdreams

Postby kingofdreams » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:29 am UTC

I would have thought its been recycled enough to be considered fair-use.
Picard- I shall appoint you my executive officer in charge of radishes

holshy

Postby holshy » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:37 am UTC

Normally, I want to have Randall's babies. However, this is the worst comic to date. I'd take Barrel 4 over this any day.

Randomizer

Postby Randomizer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:47 am UTC

After XKCD strip: "Okay, so I'm paying attention to my tongue now. So what? Sometimes I pay attention to my arm or something, too. How is this any different?"

After Peanuts Strip: My tongue is now between my teeth and I'm trying to figure out how delicious it is, or if I'm just imagining that I can taste it. This, of course, is after noticing that, yes, it is a bit lumpy in my mouth and I should really let it pop out a bit. Mmm... tongue.
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.

lordatog

Postby lordatog » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:53 am UTC

I'm a bit confused. Are some people not always aware of their tongues? I mean, I'm tasting the inside of my mouth at all times. Never a dull moment.

Eebster the Great

Postby Eebster the Great » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:01 am UTC

lordatog wrote:I'm a bit confused. Are some people not always aware of their tongues? I mean, I'm tasting the inside of my mouth at all times. Never a dull moment.

No, most people do not think about their tongues all day every day. You might want to consult a psychiatrist.

I'm not really sure how anybody could fail to understand this strip. Unless you don't have a tongue, I guess.

Schadenfreude
Location: "I'm loyal to nothing, general...except the dream."

Postby Schadenfreude » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:04 am UTC

Sirence wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:Generally, it is wise to not cite your source when you steal a joke.

Judging by the alt text, this comic is an homage to Schulz rather than theft of any of his work. To say Schulz did it better implies there was an attempt to compete. This point appears to be false because the title, gag, and alt text work as a direct reference to the comic you provided.

Schulz did do better. I say this as a reader of many forms of comics (Peanuts included), a fan of cartoon theorist Scott McCloud, and someone who's written and planned layouts for my own comics.

But hey, if you don't believe me, look up three posts to Randomizer's comments.

Would I call this an (a? English sucks.) homage to Schulz? Not really. Randall threw it in there, yeah, but he made no effort otherwise to make it a tribute to Schulz. Ignore the alt-text. Any notable connection with Peanuts? I don't see any.
"Shake my hand. Come on, boys, won't you shake a poor sinner's hand?"

Alsadius

Postby Alsadius » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:08 am UTC

Yet again, I'm forced to come to the conclusion that Peanuts was physically incapable of comedy.

Emperor_Z

Postby Emperor_Z » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:10 am UTC

Most frustrating experience ever. Ever damn night for like three weeks was insomnia because I wouldn't find any way to position my tongue that was comfortable. I never actually did stop being aware of my tongue either, I just finally learned to kind of hover my tongue in the center of my mouth instead of resting it on my teeth like I had for the rest of my life.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:18 am UTC

Oh wow. That's - seriously?!

Eebster wrote:I'm not really sure how anybody could fail to understand this strip. Unless you don't have a tongue, I guess.

Yeah, I'm not feeling it. Linus, Randall, you, and others clearly do, so I'm not going to claim that you all don't, but I don't get it. (That's not to say that there's anything wrong with these strips that only work for a certain group of people, mind. There's a lot of that in XKCD, and I appreciate the weirdness.)

The Peanuts reference is nuttily obscure on a whole different level, though. = )
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:21 am UTC

Sirence wrote:

Exactly; thank you. I swear, sometimes it seems like people just look for reasons to be disappointed with the comic, rather than genuinely being disappointed.

Randomizer wrote:After XKCD strip: "Okay, so I'm paying attention to my tongue now. So what? Sometimes I pay attention to my arm or something, too. How is this any different?"

After Peanuts Strip: My tongue is now between my teeth and I'm trying to figure out how delicious it is, or if I'm just imagining that I can taste it. This, of course, is after noticing that, yes, it is a bit lumpy in my mouth and I should really let it pop out a bit. Mmm... tongue.

Well, what an enlightening commentary. Clearly, Randall's means of conveying humor must be all wrong! We'd better all forward this eye-opening critique to him so that he shapes up; clearly, Randall should add extra dialogue to every comic from now on that explains the point of the joke in painstaking detail, so that even the readers who have no sense of subtlety whatsoever will be able to get the joke without any trouble.
Now that a Peanuts strip has got you trying to taste your own tongue, maybe a Garfield strip can get you to try to swallow your own throat?

Don't get me wrong guys, Peanuts is a classic and all. But acting like every Peanuts strip is some sort of miracle that brought humanity out of the Dark Ages while acting like anything that references it with a similar joke isn't even worth using as toilet paper is just silly. When people think of Peanuts, the first thing that comes to mind is not Linus talking about his tongue; when people think of xkcd, the first thing that comes to mind is not Black Hat Guy telling someone about Tongue Awareness Month. And both of those things are perfectly okay.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:32 am UTC

I understand breathing/walking awareness, but I've never been uncomfortably aware of my tounge.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Randomizer

Postby Randomizer » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:43 am UTC

What the hell is wrong with you? I read the XKCD comic, and then looked at the Peanuts one, and posted my reaction to each. That is all.
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.

Harry Voyager

Postby Harry Voyager » Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:52 am UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:
lordatog wrote:I'm a bit confused. Are some people not always aware of their tongues? I mean, I'm tasting the inside of my mouth at all times. Never a dull moment.

No, most people do not think about their tongues all day every day. You might want to consult a psychiatrist.

I'm not really sure how anybody could fail to understand this strip. Unless you don't have a tongue, I guess.

Some people aren't really bothered by how their body functions. Some of us have the other problem, where things just shut down if we don't keep an eye on them.

Its that little tickle at the back of your mind, like breathing, I should do that, shouldn't it?

ysth

Postby ysth » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:17 am UTC

"November"

Tongue useful for licking food of mustache.
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |

Sirence
Location: Bogs Binny neck too long. Bogs Binny realize he doesn't belong. Bogs Binny pain not physical.

Postby Sirence » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:35 am UTC

Schadenfreude wrote:
Sirence wrote:

Schulz did do better. I say this as a reader of many forms of comics (Peanuts included), a fan of cartoon theorist Scott McCloud, and someone who's written and planned layouts for my own comics.

But hey, if you don't believe me, look up three posts to Randomizer's comments.

Would I call this an (a? English sucks.) homage to Schulz? Not really. Randall threw it in there, yeah, but he made no effort otherwise to make it a tribute to Schulz. Ignore the alt-text. Any notable connection with Peanuts? I don't see any.

I cannot ignore the alt text as Mr. Monroe often includes additional information, gags, and hints as to a comic's meaning therein: failure to do so would inherently mean ignoring the pattern of his body of work. That is something I cannot do, but you may if you wish. However, if you are not going to reply to my point that there was no intention to compete, because given the evidence this is an homage to a classic Schulz work and therefore neither can be said to use the concept better or worse since one is a reference to the other, then I am afraid there is nothing more to say because your response is unrelated.

I respect your familiarity with the comic-strip medium, but that does not instantiate familiarity beyond what you have already encountered elsewhere. Mr. Monroe has frequently used strips to convey nostalgia, annoyance, narratives, abstractions, and other wide varieties of ideas not directly comedic. His doing so here is quite in character with previous strips. Note that he also utilizes obscurities, technical jargon, and in-jokes which are meant only to apply to specific audiences and have no intention of gaining mass appeal. This comic is likely geared toward an audience who may from time to time wish to reminisce in Schulz work uncritically because doing so is accompanied with feelings of familiarity and childhood. If you do not ascribe to such a group, then Mr. Monroe's comic is not poor, it is simply not directed toward you.

Thank you for your opinion

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:04 am UTC

Much worse is when someone tricks you into associating tongue awareness or manual breathing with something else that happens a lot more commonly, so that every time that thing happens, it'll remind you of tongue awareness or manual breathing. It's super easy to do because the brain is wired to form connections. That's how "jogging your memory" works.

In fact, I just realized, that's exactly what Black Hat Guy did here. Now every time that other stick figure looks at a calendar for the rest of the month, he'll be feeling his tongue. Diabolical!

SpringLoaded12 wrote:Don't get me wrong guys, Peanuts is a classic and all. But acting like every Peanuts strip is some sort of miracle that brought humanity out of the Dark Ages while acting like anything that references it with a similar joke isn't even worth using as toilet paper is just silly.

Randomizer never said or implied anything of the sort. I think you're... not projecting, what's the term? ...taking out your frustrations with one group of people on someone else entirely just because he happened to remind you that those people exist.

And for what it's worth, I'm not sure I would have gotten the joke either if I hadn't already been familiar with that Peanuts strip.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:30 am UTC

Every time I become aware of my tongue I also simultaneously become aware of how dry my eyes are and have to blink.

Look, classhole is an asshole, the clue is in the name. By linking the month to tongue awareness he extends the impact of the whole "you are now breathing manually" meme by creating an association between the two, vastly increasing the chance that the susceptible person on the left will be affected even long after classhole has gone. You don't need to invoke Schulz, you don't need to link it to things like "the pressure your nails put on the tops of your fingers", it's just someone being a dick in a slightly novel way, and as such is in keeping with classhole's personality.

EDIT: That's what happens when you compose a post in bits, you get ninja'ed. So can I just add: "What Steve the Pocket said."?
Last edited by Red Hal on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:32 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Tova

Postby Tova » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:32 am UTC

I suspect that, like many xkcd strips, it's fantastic if you were already aware of the thing it's referring to, and doesn't work at all otherwise.

IronicalVitriol

Postby IronicalVitriol » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:39 am UTC

On a sort-of related note, I accidentally sliced my tongue earlier today and now when I think of XKCD it gets harder to ignore the sensation.

Damn it Randall :c

Softfoot

Postby Softfoot » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:41 am UTC

On reading the strip, I giggled, and nearly choked on my lettuce. This was before getting to the alt-text. The mental image of the smug, self-righteous Lucy freaking out because of a few well-chosen words from Linus arose in my mind... just as it appeared on the page when I last read Peanuts comics, fifteen years ago or more.

The I read the above comments, and now I feel like maybe I should be ashamed that I thought it was funny. Maybe pre-pubescent me re-emerged, teaming up with nostalgia to help me enjoy it. Then again, Black Hat Guy and Linus both like(d) messing with people. Maybe that's why the comic worked for me.

Soma

Postby Soma » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:44 am UTC

Damn, It amazing how many of you are really really old and boring. I a comic and its a joke. No need to go all "Oh me yarm I am such a fanboy that I will hate everything that does not live up to my unreasonable high standards of what a xkcd stip should be".Go choke on your tounge or something.

toadpipe

Postby toadpipe » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:47 am UTC

carega wrote:"watch your tongue"? Is that the joke? If it is, i don't find it funny (not even with the charles schulz reference). Can somebody please explain?

There isn't even that much wit involved. It's simply BHG making a comment to a extremely suggestible person to think about their tongue. In Pavlovian splendor the sheep started to think about his tongue and knew he would continue to do so for a month for no other reason than he'd been told too. Tee hee, you wicked BHG you!

Yeah, it's a deeply weak joke.

Thanks to your comment though, next time I tell someone to watch their tongue/mouth I'm using the awareness month thing.

Aiea

Postby Aiea » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:11 am UTC

Tova wrote:I suspect that, like many xkcd strips, it's fantastic if you were already aware of the thing it's referring to, and doesn't work at all otherwise.

I had no idea what it referred to but I still giggled because it seems like some month is always some sort of awareness month, so why not tongue? (Of course, I have since seen the peanuts strip and I still find it funny.)

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:22 am UTC

ysth wrote:"November"

Tongue useful for licking food of mustache.
Being a handsome gentleman, I can confirm this.
ni'o mi nelci le zirpu sovmabrnornitorinku
Spoiler:
++$_ wrote:What's a "degree"?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/

Lawton

Postby Lawton » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:43 am UTC

An explanation to all those people complaining about it:

Becoming aware of something that you don't usually notice can be unpleasant. Such as remembering you need to breathe, feeling your clothes against you skin, the way you walk or, in this case, your tongue pressing against your teeth. By planting this thought into other people's heads, you can make them similarly self-conscious. This was what Charles Schulz original strip was based on. The black hat guy has taken it a step further by making a mental connection between November and tongue awareness, causing it to occur every time he remembers what month it is.

As a footnote, that Peanuts strip has been my favourite for years.

Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:59 am UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:I'm not really sure how anybody could fail to understand this strip. Unless you don't have a tongue, I guess.

Personally, I didn't get it, as I didn't know that being aware of your tongue was, y'know, a thing that people had issues with.

Being aware of your breathing is more annoying, because if you try to stop thinking about breathing in and then breathing out, you end up holding your breathe. This, to me, is more annoying than thinking about my tongue, and by typing it out I have just started thinking about it.

Damn.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:08 am UTC

I'd like to help you with that but, I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

musicgeek

Postby musicgeek » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:17 am UTC

My first thought was "huh - recycled 'Peanuts' gag." Then I read the alt text and smiled. "Ah, 'Peanuts' homage." What I like is that it's a fairly obscure Peanuts reference - a one-off Sunday strip that had been republished in a few anthologies. Whereas most Schulz tributes by other cartoonists usually go for Snoopy's doghouse, or the football gag, or the striped shirt and/or baseball cap, Randall managed to pick something that was at once recognizable to longtime fans and completely inscrutable to others. I think that's pretty clever in its own right.

dgmid

Postby dgmid » Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:24 am UTC

Breathing awareness is (for me) far more annoying than tongue awareness however, I've got all November to think about it now.
Also, sometimes I wish there was a button on the side of my head that I could use to turn my ears on and off...

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”