0973: "MTV Generation"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby -KF- » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:20 pm UTC

javahead wrote:I recall WHG not being new

http://www.xkcd.com/915/

I recall him being even older than that.
User avatar
-KF-
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:06 am UTC
Location: Nowhere

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby veritascs » Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:44 pm UTC

-KF- wrote:
javahead wrote:I recall WHG not being new

http://www.xkcd.com/915/

http://xkcd.com/291 I recall him being even older than that.

Well done, both of you.

I thought MTV still showed videos? If only for a few hours or so a day...maybe I should watch some (M)TV.
User avatar
veritascs
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:48 pm UTC
Location: Montana

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby nothinglikeit22 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:02 pm UTC

holy crap, the above posts were definitely right about WHG, his personality is the same in both the "dignified" and "connoisseurs" comic.
nothinglikeit22
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:29 pm UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby SirMustapha » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

Richard. wrote:1) An old person looking at a distracted teenager is a straw man? Nope.
2) He behaves how some people would, and in a common way. "Average person" is a pretty harsh generalization.
3) I sensed absolutely no condescension. And patronizing? ('Treat with an apparent kindness that betrays a feeling of superiority') That's not even applicable.
4) The character happened to be female. In no way did she save the day.


That's a bizarre way to interpret what I said. Item 4, specifically, sounds like it was said by Cleverbot.
User avatar
SirMustapha
 
Posts: 1303
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby bmonk » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:14 pm UTC

Zylon wrote:It's your kids, Marty!

Yep! My first thought exactly.

Which, I suppose, dates me too. . . .

:thumbs up:
"The position was well put indeed in a famous speech by Jzbl to the graduates of the Central Saturnian University, when he said that it was a source of great pride to him that although hardly anybody knew anything any longer, everybody now knew how to find out everything."
User avatar
bmonk
 
Posts: 624
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby ritvax » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:27 pm UTC

Zylon wrote:It's your kids, Marty!


Most astute observation yet. Back to the Future, released in 1985, has a sub-plot about Marty's (of the MTV generation) kids behavior (in the not-so-far-off 2015). Never mind that most of 2015-world is playful conjecture based on late 1980s feelings about the world, you still have the same idea of hip kids living in the moment while their parents look on, bemused by all the "new" technology they didn't have growing up.

Furthermore... I, ah... Um... Get off my lawn!!

-otto-
I wish I was running VMS v.6.5
User avatar
ritvax
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:19 pm UTC
Location: New York

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:36 pm UTC

Obligatory EMPTY-V pun.
User avatar
rhomboidal
 
Posts: 560
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby kkn » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:07 pm UTC

pbnjstowell wrote:White Hat Guy?

I so wanted to say that!
kkn
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:27 pm UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby TheCycoONE » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

Hmm.. now he's stealing his own comics. I preferred: http://xkcd.com/647/
TheCycoONE
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:40 pm UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby pscottdv » Fri Nov 04, 2011 6:50 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:As a Millennial, Iet me take this opportunity to say that I dislike those John Hughes high school movies. Ferris Bueller is a jerk, and The Breakfast Club is a muddle of stereotypes that ends up endorsing the very conformity it pretends to reject.


Ferris was popular while also being nice to everyone. What makes him a jerk?

You misunderstood the point of The Breakfast Club. The point was that every problem that every kid has is the fault of their rotten parents no matter how good they are at fulfilling their stereotypes.
pscottdv
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:32 pm UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby Eugo » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:34 pm UTC

SamSam wrote:"Your problem with the MTV generation is they're kids?" No. They are not kids. That's what the strip is establishing. Instead, WHG's problem with the MTV generation is the kids that they produced, who have no attention span.


I may be too old for this, but it's not just MTV. It's MTV style editing applied to everything. While I still had the patience to watch TV, I noticed that not one cut in a hundred, in any advertisement, lasts longer than a second. Including those where they are showing you a sample of what you should by - for example, movie trailers or the whole travel channel*. The actual speed, by my rough timing, is around 70 cuts a minute. What do you get? An illusion that you've been shown something, while you actually saw nothing.

Also, the ad time is longer and longer. Star Trek TOS took 50 minutes per episode; the latest crop takes 40. They both filled one hour slots. If you still try to watch anything, including news - how can you keep your attention at all, if your concentration (even if it's no more than 1 ppm) is interrupted every few minutes?

----
* exception on travel channel is that they have endless time to show their host pouring hot air in the general direction of the microphone; it's when they actually start showing you what (s)he was talking about, that the speed cuts begin.
United we stand politically corrected, divided we fall in love
User avatar
Eugo
 
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat May 31, 2008 5:38 am UTC
Location: here

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby Dinoguy1000 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:33 pm UTC

nathanmacinnes wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:what is TL;DR?


Too long; didn't read.


I can't be the only person who sees the unintentional irony in this response. :P
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck?

How about a wouldchuck?
Dinoguy1000
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Fri May 28, 2010 7:21 am UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby Elirra » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:34 pm UTC

Zylon wrote:It's your kids, Marty!

Being named Marty caused this post to baffle me for a couple of minutes. "I don't have kids," and, "Who is this person?" were common thoughts.

I feel like someone should point out that as far as jokes go this one doesn't work when spoken, or alternatively has a double meaning when spoken. The listener would have no way to distinguish between a spoken "their" and "they're." I'm overly fond of this particular nuance of language, my favorite example being the sentence "There are three 2s in the English language." Spoken aloud nobody will question it, but the sentence is impossible to reproduce in written form.
Elirra
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby unus vox » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:47 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Randall creates a strawman, who behaves pretty much nothing like an average person would, and uses it to deliver a condescending and patronising joke -- and the character who "saves the day" is female. Why am I not surprised?

Alternate post:
Lawl, the guy's so old he's even wearing a hat.


For someone who spends 3 days a week psychoanalyzing a webcomic creator and presupposing his intentions, it's interesting that you criticize his use of a strawman argument.
Spoiler:
Image
User avatar
unus vox
 
Posts: 135
Joined: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:01 pm UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby Djehutynakht » Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:57 pm UTC

To build on the White Hat Guy thing that's been around here... while I am still a strong backer of BHG, I find WHG to be an interesting element...

...We need them to interact one day. Perhaps in hand-to-hand combat.
User avatar
Djehutynakht
 
Posts: 1213
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby wmnwmn » Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:29 pm UTC

The sad thing is, probably nobody under 35 can even understand what the point is here...they wouldn't even know what the "MTV generation" was.
wmnwmn
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 12:03 am UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby sje46 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:15 pm UTC

legopelle wrote:TL;DR
But the comic wasn't long. It was the perfect size, actually. Saying "tl;dr:" implies that the content in question was too lengthy for you to read. It doesn't mean "summary", and even if it didn't, your summary wasn't very apt. Randall main goal wasn't to make a point. It was to make a joke.
xkcdfan wrote:Obligatory "MTV doesn't even show music videos anymore" comment.

Why would they? Not like "MTV" stands for Music Television or anything like that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV#2010_rebranding

GregSucks wrote:
xkcdfan wrote:Obligatory "MTV doesn't even show music videos anymore" comment.


I registered an account to just say that MTV /never/ showed music videos, as far as I (generation MTV's child) am concerned.


What? If you are part of the MTV generation, they showed videos. MTV showed videos in the 80s. They even showed videos in the late 90s/early2000s, when I was reaching teenhood.

Murphy2112 wrote:I'm only 20, so I guess I'm a part of the generation in question, but the alt-text is just depressing.

What? No. No, you're not. The comic itself (and Wikipedia, and common knowledge) says 12-19 during the 80s. You were 12-19 during the 2000s.
UniqueScreenname wrote:Also, what is TL;DR?
What's Google?
MichaelKarnerfors wrote:To those that say MTV never showed videos.... suck it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTP2RUD_cL0

You wouldn't have known this, but that video isn't available in the US.
Lazar wrote:As a Millennial, Iet me take this opportunity to say that I dislike those John Hughes high school movies. Ferris Bueller is a jerk, and The Breakfast Club is a muddle of stereotypes that ends up endorsing the very conformity it pretends to reject.

I love you Lazar. John Hughes movies pretty much just relied on old, dusty, and--in my opinion--harmful tropes. Like spreading the meme that every bully comes from a shitty homelife (therefore, his actions are excusable!), every jock is an asshole, with a father that presses too hard, every "nerd" suffers from depression, etc. It tries to portray itself as subverting tropes, when all it does is perpetuate stereotypes already firmly in everyone's head.

SirMustapha wrote:Randall creates a strawman, who behaves pretty much nothing like an average person would, and uses it to deliver a condescending and patronising joke -- and the character who "saves the day" is female. Why am I not surprised?

Alternate post:
Lawl, the guy's so old he's even wearing a hat.

You are aware that the comic's primary goal wasn't to make a point (i.e. an *argument*) but was trying to make a joke, right? There is no strawman, because there is no argument. It isn't a "take-that". The point of the strip is to blow people's minds, basically. It's the same point as in this comic: http://xkcd.com/891/

The idea that the MTV generation doesn't refer to now-adays teens but instead refers to 40-somethings makes people feel old.
Also, a woman outwits a man in a comic strip?! CLEARLY this is sexism. But wait, how do you know that's a woman? Just because the character has long hair? Clearly YOURE a sexist too, for assuming that men can't have long hair!
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby CodexDraco » Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:45 pm UTC

Also: http://xkcd.com/836/

Yeah I only came to post that.
CodexDraco
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:37 pm UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby AlexTG » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:17 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Replies

Wow, that was a lot of misinterpretations in a single post, got to be a record!
AlexTG
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:06 am UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby sherlip » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:03 am UTC

I'm 18.. is this the point where people look down on me?

I like to refer to us as the "Disney Star Generation"

Granted, they all suck but it's all I can identify with..
sherlip
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:40 am UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby sje46 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:22 am UTC

AlexTG wrote:
sje46 wrote:Replies

Wow, that was a lot of misinterpretations in a single post, got to be a record!

Thanks for the helpful criticism, friend.
General_Norris: Taking pride in your nation is taking pride in the division of humanity.
Pirate.Bondage: Let's get married. Right now.
sje46
 
Posts: 4724
Joined: Wed May 14, 2008 4:41 am UTC
Location: New Hampshire

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby Uzh » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:11 am UTC

Most of the thread reminds me of this picture:

Image

Georg
"The problem is that humans have these darn biological limitations and if it gets too far from 293 K they'll start complaining, or die." http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=106000#p3483385
User avatar
Uzh
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2011 7:25 am UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby Aiea » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:36 am UTC

I'm not sure if this is sad or not, but I'm only 31 and I consider myself part of the mtv generation. I also consider myself part of Gen X. I just have always identified more with the slightly older crowd then the slightly younger. I guess it could be part and parcel with being the youngest child. I spent more time tagging along with my older siblings than I did with friends the same age or younger than me.
User avatar
Aiea
 
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:43 pm UTC
Location: UK

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby Coffee » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:18 pm UTC

Dead Kennedy's had it right a loooong time ago by the way.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0oCPNMZuWwI
Far away boys, far away boys, away from you now.
I'm lying with my sweetheart, in her arms I'll be found.
User avatar
Coffee
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:56 am UTC
Location: Far away

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby SirMustapha » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:54 pm UTC

unus vox wrote:For someone who spends 3 days a week psychoanalyzing a webcomic creator and presupposing his intentions, it's interesting that you criticize his use of a strawman argument.


I see your point, but you have to admit that there's a bit difference between making possibly strawman-ish comments on one webcomic writer and making heavily strawman-ish on a whole class of people that potentially encompasses thousands of people -- audiophiles, anthropologists, old people, you name it.

sje46 wrote:You are aware that the comic's primary goal wasn't to make a point (i.e. an *argument*) but was trying to make a joke, right? There is no strawman, because there is no argument.


It's very conveniently naïve to play down the importance of a "joke" like that, especially Randall's jokes, that very often blur the line between "joke" and "personal observation".

sje46 wrote:Also, a woman outwits a man in a comic strip?! CLEARLY this is sexism. But wait, how do you know that's a woman? Just because the character has long hair?


Don't be a smart-ass. Take a look at the "Everything" comic thread, in which some of the very hardcore xkcd fans have clearly said that, in xkcd, that kind of long hair is what distinguishes women. As far as I recall, the only male Randall has depicted with long hair was Richard Stallman. And I wasn't commenting on "sexism", but on Randall's rampant White Knight syndrome.
User avatar
SirMustapha
 
Posts: 1303
Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:07 pm UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby neoliminal » Sat Nov 05, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

I remember watching the first MTV video, which was "Video Killed the Radio Star".

And my white hat looks good.
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/214255
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]
User avatar
neoliminal
 
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:39 pm UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby Elirra » Sat Nov 05, 2011 4:58 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote: And I wasn't commenting on "sexism", but on Randall's rampant White Knight syndrome.

Yeah these comics would be a lot better if week after week, day after day, Randall just criticized the same person in what is essentially the same way every time. I think the use of different words to say the same thing "I don't like this!" would be really interesting. Or maybe for an entire week he could just draw a picture of the subject and caption it "I don't like this!" I would certainly enjoy the refreshing new direction of the same thing all the time.
Elirra
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby bigjeff5 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:02 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Snip...


I think I'm finally starting to figure you out, SirMustapha.

First off, I think you like to argue. There's nothing wrong with that, I like to argue too, but I think in particular you really get a kick out of people (trying to) rip your comments apart just so you can (try to) tear into theirs.

Second, I don't think you understand how comedy works.

There are many different styles of comedy, but the vast majority center around taking something ordinary and familiar (be it a stereotype, a common situation, a trope, whathaveyou) and flipping it on its head in the punchline. Randal's comedy tends toward stereotypes and tropes - particularly those relating to geek culture. As such, most of the "straw men" you are offended about are really just common stereotypes that Randall is lancing with his humor.

The whole "That's the problem with the MTV Generation - no attention span" trope is a trope because it is so damn common. I still hear that nonsense, even though - as was pointed out in the comics - the MTV Generation are well on their way to becoming old fuddy-duddies.

A more generalized version is "kids these days, blah blah blah" - implying that kids these days are somehow different than the speaker's generation when they were kids. Chances are, the only differences in reality are the specifics.

The joke in the comic occurs when Randall points out that, in fact, kids have always lacked attention (by noting that these are the kids of the kids who had no attention span, and to WHG they seem identical to the MTV generation). This is usually true of any "kids these days" comment. Kids are kids, they are not mature yet, so they do dumb things and often don't have their priorities figured out. That's what "kid" implies - immaturity. And that's the joke.

Also, a note about advertisement times shrinking: advertising is about money. Advertisers don't care about a style that will be more effective in 20 years because it will allow them to show more advertisements per show, advertisers care about making money right now. If shorter advertisements are more effective, advertisers will use shorter advertisements. Given this, it seems to me that it is slightly more likely that people's short attention spans are responsible for the shorter advertisements than the other way around. I'm not sure how much it has been studied, if at all, but I've never heard of any empirical evidence that suggests shorter advertisements reduce attention spans. Direct counter-evidence for this idea is the fact that the average length of a feature film has been incredibly stable since the 60's, and are in fact slightly longer today than they have ever been (but only by a handful of minutes). Also, infomercials (half hour to an hour long advertisements) only became common place after the mid-90's, and today are found on almost every channel after a certain time. If I were to form a hypothesis, I'd say that advertisements may be shorter because advertisers have homed in on the ideal interruption which both maximizes ad revenue while minimizing consumer annoyance. But I could be wrong.
bigjeff5
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 3:59 am UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby Samik » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:19 pm UTC

MichaelKarnerfors wrote:To those that say MTV never showed videos.... suck it up:
...
A modern variant of it...
[Nerd rendition of Money for Nothing]

I can't believe nobody else got a kick out of this but me. Bravo to you if you wrote it, or if not, to whoever did.


sje46 wrote:Thanks for the helpful criticism, friend.

Sje - it does appear to be the case that you misinterpreted at least two of the comments you replied to (I don't see any others, so I doubt it's a "record" anyway). Maybe I can be more "helpful".

1.) Regarding the comment made by "GregSucks", I believe he was referring to himself as a member of generation made up of the kids of the MTV generation. Thus his comment that he has never known a version of MTV that contained music videos ("as far as I am concerned").

2.) Regarding Murphy2112's comment, he as well is relating to the generation made up of the kids of the "MTV Generation" (after all, in the comic, we don't actually have any members of the MTV generation depicted - just one from the following generation).



SirMustapha wrote:[Everything SirMustapha says]

I don't really have a problem with SirMustapha - I mean, if being crotchety is the worst thing s/he ever does, then most of us have far worse bullets on our resumes. What I don't understand, though, is why you're still here? I mean, really? If I assume bad faith: you're not going to bring down XKCD (or even measurably affect traffic). If I assume good faith (that you're trying to be constructive and promote critical thinking over mindless fanboyism): your dissections never really contain anything of any substance that anyone would care to read. And you obviously don't enjoy very much about this comic at all, or the company of any of the denizens of this forum. (And if you're just trying to carve out your own little niche in the vast internet, then there has to be something better than being known as the guy/gal who hates XKCD but posts on the forum all the time anyway, isn't there?)

What's keeping you here?






**Gah, yes, I have a problem with editing. I have a trigger finger for the submit button and for fixing typos: "whoops, there's one." *Fixes it and hits submit*. "Ok goo... crap there's another one". *repeat 5 or 6 times, meanwhile think of a few other things to say and throw them in*. "Aaand, now there are 11 edits..." (There were at least three others right off the bat that the edit counter didn't care to call me out on, apparently).
Last edited by Samik on Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:42 pm UTC, edited 6 times in total.
User avatar
Samik
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:14 am UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby Samik » Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

Uzh wrote:Most of the thread reminds me of this picture:
[Pic of cassette and pencil]
Georg


Man, I'm only 25, but I caught the tail end of cassettes. I've done that, and it still took me a beat to figure out... My first few purchases where of cassette tapes, but cds rolled around pretty quickly for me. I remember when the kid with the no-skip cd player was the coolest one on the bus.
User avatar
Samik
 
Posts: 396
Joined: Mon May 02, 2011 11:14 am UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby StClair » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:45 pm UTC

sherlip wrote:I like to refer to us as the "Disney Star Generation"

As in Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, Kurt Russell and Jodie Foster?
User avatar
StClair
 
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Feb 29, 2008 8:07 am UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby violaxcore » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:45 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:As a Millennial, Iet me take this opportunity to say that I dislike those John Hughes high school movies. Ferris Bueller is a jerk, and The Breakfast Club is a muddle of stereotypes that ends up endorsing the very conformity it pretends to reject.

I feel similarly. Pretty in Pink really pissed me off as well. As a Millennial, I really question the values of the generation that could relate to those movies.
violaxcore
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:41 am UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby FoolishOwl » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:01 am UTC

sje46 wrote:
Lazar wrote:As a Millennial, Iet me take this opportunity to say that I dislike those John Hughes high school movies. Ferris Bueller is a jerk, and The Breakfast Club is a muddle of stereotypes that ends up endorsing the very conformity it pretends to reject.

I love you Lazar. John Hughes movies pretty much just relied on old, dusty, and--in my opinion--harmful tropes. Like spreading the meme that every bully comes from a shitty homelife (therefore, his actions are excusable!), every jock is an asshole, with a father that presses too hard, every "nerd" suffers from depression, etc. It tries to portray itself as subverting tropes, when all it does is perpetuate stereotypes already firmly in everyone's head.

As I recall, even at the time, John Hughes movies were taken as an expression of teen culture in the US at that moment; it felt that way to me when I was in my teens in the middle to late 80s.

What's striking to me now as I think of those movies is that, while there's a recurring theme of conflict between spoiled rich kids and working class kids, it's a shallow conflict. Isn't unfair that the mean kids have all the nice stuff? I didn't have the historical context to see this at the time, but what seems striking to me now is that this was just a few years after the radicalization of the late 60s and early 70s; yet there's not a glimmer of the recent history of social conflict -- it never seems to be referenced by any of the characters in John Hughes films. It's as if in the Reagan era, there was enormous pressure to pretend the previous fifteen years hadn't happened.
FoolishOwl
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:36 pm UTC
Location: San Francisco, California

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby Fat Tony » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:12 am UTC

Dinoguy1000 wrote:
nathanmacinnes wrote:
UniqueScreenname wrote:what is TL;DR?


Too long; didn't read.


I can't be the only person who sees the unintentional irony in this response. :P

I appreciated that too =D

Elirra wrote:"There are three 2s in the English language."

...Huh?

Samik wrote:
Uzh wrote:Most of the thread reminds me of this picture:
[Pic of cassette and pencil]
Georg


Man, I'm only 25, but I caught the tail end of cassettes. I've done that, and it still took me a beat to figure out... My first few purchases where of cassette tapes, but cds rolled around pretty quickly for me. I remember when the kid with the no-skip cd player was the coolest one on the bus.


Too young to have bought a cassette tape, but I remember winding those things up in the car with my dad. And man was I cool with my no-skip CD player...until some rich kid showed up with one that had a built-in FM radio.

violaxcore wrote:
Lazar wrote:As a Millennial, Iet me take this opportunity to say that I dislike those John Hughes high school movies. Ferris Bueller is a jerk, and The Breakfast Club is a muddle of stereotypes that ends up endorsing the very conformity it pretends to reject.

I feel similarly. Pretty in Pink really pissed me off as well. As a Millennial, I really question the values of the generation that could relate to those movies.


I always hated Pretty in Pink, but more for the ending than anything else. I mean, seriously, this amazingly kind-hearted guy (with an amazing hairstyle) who's always been there for you and saved you from this jerk rich kid is in love with you, and you thank him by pointing him towards a *different* girl?

Yoduh wrote:And that's because the generation who raised them are the ones who were originally labeled as the "no attention span" generation when they were themselves growing up in the 80s. So that's to say that either both generations are to blame, or that attention spans are only achieved later in life and the cycle of older generations hating newer generations is never ending.

Or that each generation has a progressively lower attention span.
Wanna hear the truth? Life is downright ok.
User avatar
Fat Tony
 
Posts: 1501
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:12 pm UTC
Location: South Italy

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby sherlip » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:13 am UTC

StClair wrote:
sherlip wrote:I like to refer to us as the "Disney Star Generation"

As in Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, Kurt Russell and Jodie Foster?



Dear God, and I thought that fit us perfectly..

Well then the fact that nothing groundbreaking can describe our childhoods (90's) other than the name of a decade, proves that the generation above us did nothing groundbreaking enough to define todays teenagers.
sherlip
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:40 am UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby RebeccaRGB » Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:25 am UTC

sherlip wrote:
StClair wrote:
sherlip wrote:I like to refer to us as the "Disney Star Generation"

As in Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, Kurt Russell and Jodie Foster?

Dear God, and I thought that fit us perfectly..

Does "Disney Channel Star Generation" make it less ambiguous?
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!
User avatar
RebeccaRGB
 
Posts: 336
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:36 am UTC
Location: Lesbians Love Bluetooth

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby Elirra » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:19 am UTC

Fat Tony wrote:
Elirra wrote:"There are three 2s in the English language."

...Huh?

Say it aloud. I purposely didn't spell out any of the three spellings, to, too, or two, because that makes it even harder to read. There's nothing mysterious about, its difficult to count homophones in written word but pretty easy in spoken word.
Elirra
 
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:43 pm UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby sherlip » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:46 am UTC

RebeccaRGB wrote:
sherlip wrote:
StClair wrote:
sherlip wrote:I like to refer to us as the "Disney Star Generation"

As in Frankie Avalon, Annette Funicello, Kurt Russell and Jodie Foster?

Dear God, and I thought that fit us perfectly..

Does "Disney Channel Star Generation" make it less ambiguous?


I guess so.. but I figured Disney didn't have stars before it had a channel.. I mean, we're they like prancing around in the theme parks or something?
sherlip
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:40 am UTC

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby Randomizer » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:24 am UTC

Kids today are part of the MTV generation. Because MTV is still on the air.
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.
Randomizer
 
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:23 am UTC
Location: My walls are full of hungry wolves.

Re: 0973: "MTV Generation"

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:53 am UTC

sje46 wrote:Also, a woman outwits a man in a comic strip?! CLEARLY this is sexism. But wait, how do you know that's a woman? Just because the character has long hair? Clearly YOURE a sexist too, for assuming that men can't have long hair!

Ad hominem.
Anyway, we do know that that is a woman because while it is possible for men to have long hair, in xkcd, men have always been depicted without hair (with a few exceptions for specific purposes). Similarly, women have always been depicted with long hair or a ponytail (again, with a few specific-purpose exceptions).


legopelle wrote:TL;DR

People getting mature when getting older. Or old will always look down on new.

Was I the only person in the whole damn thread that knew what this meant?
People, legopelle isn't saying the comic was too long; he/she was indicating that the rest of the comment should be read as a sort of summary of the comic's meaning.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."
User avatar
SpringLoaded12
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:58 am UTC
Location: Guarding the Super Missile

PreviousNext

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acunning40, Google [Bot], yappobiscuits and 13 guests