0984: "Space Launch System"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

mric

Re: 0984: "Space Launch System"

Postby mric » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:51 pm UTC

Apeiron wrote:The only circumstance that the word "one" should EVER have an S attached to it is if "one" is the name of things we are talking about. For instance, if we are calling one dollar bills ones.

One, as a quantity, should never be plural. One is the definition of SINGULAR.

Most of the time the "one" following these/those is redundant. Just say these, those or that.

Semi-literate fuckwit saying "langwidgizz chanj, git over it, LOOLLOoLoLl!!!1!" in 3... 2... 1....

They would be same semi-literate fuckwits who authored the King James Bible - "This matter is by the decree of the watchers, and the demand by the word of the holy ones", Daniel 4:17.

Or that famous fuckwit, Shakespeare - "Madness in great ones must not unwatched go."

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:56 pm UTC

"Operation Paperclip"? Did a Nazi invent those, too?
Last edited by rhomboidal on Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:12 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:05 pm UTC

Apeiron wrote:The only circumstance that the word "one" should EVER have an S attached to it is if "one" is the name of things we are talking about. For instance, if we are calling one dollar bills ones.

Most of the time the "one" following these/those is redundant. Just say these, those or that.

Semi-literate fuckwit saying "langwidgizz chanj, git over it, LOOLLOoLoLl!!!1!" in 3... 2... 1....
It's a bit of a pet peeve of mine when people blame the writer for a character's stupidity.

Not to mention, you're wrong.
-Adam

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:08 pm UTC

funniest in awhile.
I do not get the alt text at all though...also my urge to call it title text is growing.
madjo wrote:...That don't impress me much...

Oh. Yeah. Part of me is almost surprised Randall remembers that song, him being such a ickle boy and all. ;-)
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Radical_Initiator
Just Cool Enough for School

Postby Radical_Initiator » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:13 pm UTC

mric wrote:Or that famous fuckwit, Shakespeare - "Madness in great ones must not unwatched go."

Are you sure that was Shakespeare? I'm thinking more along the lines of the great philosopher and statesman Yoda.
I looked out across the river today …

TzarBomba

Postby TzarBomba » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 pm UTC

As someone majoring in Aerospace Engineering with a specific focus on astronautics, I can tell you that the engineers designing the next generations of space vehicles will, ironically enough, be - what is the Basically Decent terminology - Middle-Eastern-Arab-Persian-Not-Terrorist-Muslim-ites.

Steve the Pocket

Postby Steve the Pocket » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:01 pm UTC

ghlargh wrote:While reading the alt text i was fully expecting the advice to be to turn the rocket engines on with her under it, at least that would ensure no more songs like that...

I thought something along those lines too — that he's using the implied threat of doing so as a way to get her to say she's impressed. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but why else would she be standing under it?
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:23 pm UTC

radtea wrote:and didn't bomb London.

To be fair, neither did Von Braun really. His missiles kept missing. :P

It's why we call them missiles. Otherwise they'd be called hitiles. True story.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

DarCK

Postby DarCK » Wed Nov 30, 2011 6:54 pm UTC

Clearly all creators are responsible for the use of their invention.

Out of curiosity do we know who invented the ships that sailed to the new world? He's got some explaining to do.

boriquajake

Postby boriquajake » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:00 pm UTC

This comic is effing hilarious on every level. Love it.

Hughes

Postby Hughes » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:59 pm UTC

I feel like I should feel bad for laughing at this. I do this every time I laugh at one of BHG's trolls.

TNLNYC

Postby TNLNYC » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:02 pm UTC

Just like Heisenberg... no, wait! Completely unlike Heisenberg in every respect!

Are you certain of that? (sorry, couldn't resist) :wink:

drakvl

Postby drakvl » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:28 pm UTC

I see all the people jumping forward to defend von Braun, and while I don't know much about his life, on thought keeps jumping to the front of my mind: this is BHG saying this. I don't think bending historical fact a bit is outside the realm of what he's willing to do just to screw with someone.

TheEponymousBob

Postby TheEponymousBob » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:48 pm UTC

This put me in mind of what is still one of the finest pieces to camera from a science doc yet:

Edit: removed link due to 5 post rule. If interested, search for James Burke Rocket Takeoff.

As to another matter:

Poppycock.

frr

Postby frr » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:03 pm UTC

jeroen94704 wrote:
frr wrote:Pretty much all NASA spacecraft are painted white with a little black here and there plus the flag. Even the shuttle was painted this way before they made the fuel tank orange. However it probably is a welcome side effect.
Really? AFAIK, only the Shuttle and other re-entry capable concept vehicles are (were) white and black because that is the color of the thermal blankets and thermal protection system materials being used. Other than that, the ribbed skin in white with black patches is very distinctly Saturn V.

Hm.. just looked at this image of a Delta 2 rocket and actually does have a different paint job: http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:Delt ... STEREO.jpg
I guess I was wrong.

jeroen94704 wrote:
frr wrote:Either that or we do it GLaDOS style: one way ticket only – For science!

You monster!

I thought about this more. We probably could find people who were willing to go on a one-way-mission. However, "for science" we'd have to bring back material – that's the whole point – so if we want to do it for science, we need the massive rocket anyway.
„Every time you read or write beyond the end of an array, somewhere a fairy dies.“ ~ Richard Buckland

gnutrino

Postby gnutrino » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:08 pm UTC

frr wrote:
jeroen94704 wrote:
frr wrote:Either that or we do it GLaDOS style: one way ticket only – For science!

You monster!

I thought about this more. We probably could find people who were willing to go on a one-way-mission. However, "for science" we'd have to bring back material – that's the whole point – so if we want to do it for science, we need the massive rocket anyway.

Depends. I think the point is that given the equipment a person could do the science in situ and, if that person was willing to die on another planet (I seem to remeber there was a guy who offered to do just that, I have to admit I'd be tempted myself for a chance to walk on another planet) then you wouldn't have to bring the person or the samples back. Just send the results back in lightweight, easy to use electromagnetic form :).

bigjeff5

Postby bigjeff5 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:51 pm UTC

As a grammar Nazi, it must suck being wrong about grammar, eh?

In English we can refer to a group of objects (e.g. "socks"), or a collection of objects which we nevertheless wish to refer to individually (e.g. "the red ones").

The pronoun "one" is, perhaps counter-intuitively, perfectly capable of being plural. There is no rule in the English language which prevents this, though some consider it poor practice stylistically.

This has been proper grammar for at least a century now, getting all pissy about it now does you no good. It just makes you wrong.
Last edited by bigjeff5 on Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:54 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:53 pm UTC

gnutrino wrote:
frr wrote:
jeroen94704 wrote:

You monster!

Depends. I think the point is that given the equipment a person could do the science in situ and, if that person was willing to die on another planet (I seem to remeber there was a guy who offered to do just that, I have to admit I'd be tempted myself for a chance to walk on another planet) then you wouldn't have to bring the person or the samples back. Just send the results back in lightweight, easy to use electromagnetic form :).
Then how do we get moon rocks?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

TheEponymousBob

Postby TheEponymousBob » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:17 am UTC

Also: I don't get what all the fuss is about anyway. It's not exactly brain surgery, is it?

mfb

Postby mfb » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:22 am UTC

Looks like commercial rockets will show NASA how expensive their systems are...
130 tons with a single launch is an advantage over smaller rockets, but 5+ launches with 50 tons for the same price are just better.

And I hope that alternative launch systems get a bit more attention in the future. Some calculate with total development and deployment costs comparable to SLS. And $/kg running costs are just a joke, once you have a working megastructure or a similar system.
That would impress me much.

I am sure you would find enough volunteers for a one-way trip to Mars. The first step on another planet... one of the most remarkable moments in the whole history of mankind.
And at the same time I am sure nobody would fund such a mission.

musicgeek

Postby musicgeek » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:08 am UTC

J Thomas wrote:
Joran wrote:Heisenberg is the cat in Schopenhauer's box.

Schrödinger. :wink: (Schopenhauer's cat was playing in a yard, possibly over a period of 300 years.)

Sir Lunch-a-lot

Postby Sir Lunch-a-lot » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:22 am UTC

gnutrino wrote:
frr wrote:
jeroen94704 wrote:

You monster!

I'm not sure where I read about the idea (maybe in on of the links on my Space.com Facebook news feed) but it has been suggested that this would be the best way to jumpstart interplanetary colonization. The article suggested that early colonists of North America did not expect to return to their land of origin. In the same way, the simplest way to colonize other worlds would be to make it a one way trip, sending supplies in ships after them (again, as the article I read suggests) until such a time as they could reach self sufficiency. As Space technology develops (the development of thermonuclear rocket engines, maybe?), perhaps interplanetary trade and stuff could become a real thing.

jalohones

Postby jalohones » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:54 am UTC

Joran wrote:Also, the calculations have two different explanations. Heisenberg claims he was intentionally trying to deceive the Nazis. Some other scientists said Heisenberg got the calculations wrong because he was shitty at math.

The problem is that the more we learn about his intentions, the less we know about his abilities as a mathematician. And vice versa.

jalohones

Postby jalohones » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:56 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:Godwin's law invoked in 3, 2, 1...

You know who was always bringing up the Nazis? The Nazis, that's who!

project2051

Postby project2051 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:14 am UTC

Sir Lunch-a-lot wrote:
gnutrino wrote:
frr wrote:
jeroen94704 wrote:

You monster!

I'm not sure where I read about the idea (maybe in on of the links on my Space.com Facebook news feed) but it has been suggested that this would be the best way to jumpstart interplanetary colonization. The article suggested that early colonists of North America did not expect to return to their land of origin. In the same way, the simplest way to colonize other worlds would be to make it a one way trip, sending supplies in ships after them (again, as the article I read suggests) until such a time as they could reach self sufficiency. As Space technology develops (the development of thermonuclear rocket engines, maybe?), perhaps interplanetary trade and stuff could become a real thing.

That was how Kim Stanley Robinson's "Mars Trilogy" started, with a hundred colonists going to Mars on (what was at that time) a one way trip.

I'm all for the commercial space systems, but what bugs me sometimes is how they get lauded for being cheaper than NASA when the comparison really isn't there. Like how I saw several articles about how Rutan's Spaceship one was doing the what the Shuttles were for so much less money. I think comparing something that can lift 7 people and the equivalent of a school bus into orbit, and something that can only lift 3 people into a suborbital hop doesn't quite work out.

whateveries

Postby whateveries » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:03 am UTC

my immediate thoughts were of the movie ironsky and the only reason i decided to comment is to remark on how hot Shania Twain is, despite her obvious country music based character flaw.
it's fine.

Kain

Postby Kain » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:24 am UTC

TheEponymousBob wrote:Also: I don't get what all the fuss is about anyway. It's not exactly brain surgery, is it?

Were you perhaps thinking of this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGCMtk695Cg
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

Diagoras

Postby Diagoras » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:41 am UTC

project2051 wrote:I'm all for the commercial space systems, but what bugs me sometimes is how they get lauded for being cheaper than NASA when the comparison really isn't there. Like how I saw several articles about how Rutan's Spaceship one was doing the what the Shuttles were for so much less money. I think comparing something that can lift 7 people and the equivalent of a school bus into orbit, and something that can only lift 3 people into a suborbital hop doesn't quite work out.

United Launch Alliance, Orbital Sciences Corporation, and Space Exploration Technologies are the orbital outfits people usually mention. I've heard no one informed disparage the Space Shuttle by comparing it to SpaceShipOne/SpaceShipTwo.

ZombieLion

Postby ZombieLion » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:21 am UTC

MathUhhhSaurus wrote:"Don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright
But that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night..."

Rocket exhaust, on the other hand…

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:25 am UTC

VAXHeadroom wrote:So, getting a little pissy over the use of "Nazi" in today's comic. Werner was, technically, a member of the Nazi party, but only so they didn't kill him. He described himself as a patriotic German during the war, but only joined the Nazi Party under duress.

Pretty much. The only way for Von Braun to have the resources and permission to conduct his rocket research was by joining the Party and paying lip service to the government. If you weren't a Party member, you were a nobody and could forget about trying to get any resources beyond your own salary. If you tried to become influential without joining the Party, you were accused of being an enemy and either silenced or jailed.

However, being a Party member did NOT mean that you actually supported the Party's agenda beyond paying the required lip service to it to avoid accusations of disloyalty, not any more than being a registered Democrat or Republican means that you approve of all actions of your party.

Postby AvatarIII » Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:50 am UTC

Kain wrote:
TheEponymousBob wrote:Also: I don't get what all the fuss is about anyway. It's not exactly brain surgery, is it?

lol, Bob's post certainly made me think of that, and I was considering posting it until I saw you beat me to it, good show old chap!

blabla

Postby blabla » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:25 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:However, being a Party member did NOT mean that you actually supported the Party's agenda beyond paying the required lip service to it

Just being a party member doesn't, but developing new weapons for the Nazis means exactly that: Supporting the Nazi agenda.

Winter Man

Postby Winter Man » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:38 pm UTC

*disappears to play Kerbal*
Explosion, WAH!

Franky

Postby Franky » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:46 pm UTC

blabla wrote:Just being a party member doesn't, but developing new weapons for the Nazis means exactly that: Supporting the Nazi agenda.

So what? It was his side of the conflict. He wasn't a traitor or anything. A good scientist working for his government, yielding results with global impact. The Nazi regime had many faults and committed some nasty atrocities, but so have many other governments. It wasn't an evil empire or anything.

VAXHeadroom

Postby VAXHeadroom » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:50 pm UTC

blabla wrote:
VAXHeadroom wrote:So, getting a little pissy over the use of "Nazi" in today's comic. Werner was, technically, a member of the Nazi party, but only so they didn't kill him.

That's not even what he himself claims. He claims that he joined the Nazi party because else he would not have been able to continue his work (his work being development of military rockets) not because he would have been killed.
And there is doubt about that being true, but at the best he was a horrible opportunist that did not care that he helped a fascist regime developing weapons to destroy everyone else or that concentration camp slave labor was used in his rocket program.

OK - admittedly that was just hyperbole - you're absolutely correct, he joined so he could continue his rocket work. That comes out very clearly in Werner's own words in the biography "Dr.Space".

Emory

TheEponymousBob

Postby TheEponymousBob » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:51 pm UTC

Kain wrote:

I was, as it happens. Sketch of the decade IMNSHO. :D

prosfilaes

Postby prosfilaes » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:52 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:
VAXHeadroom wrote:So, getting a little pissy over the use of "Nazi" in today's comic. Werner was, technically, a member of the Nazi party, but only so they didn't kill him. He described himself as a patriotic German during the war, but only joined the Nazi Party under duress.

Pretty much. The only way for Von Braun to have the resources and permission to conduct his rocket research was by joining the Party and paying lip service to the government.

There's a mild difference between duress and not getting to do what you want to do. That's like saying the only way for Jack the Ripper to have the resources to conduct his medical research was by killing prostitutes; it may have been, but it doesn't exactly justify the behavior.

Jeff S

Postby Jeff S » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:48 pm UTC

I suggest that the new standard of intellect should, from henceforth, be "Fusion Scientist". I mean, Rocket Scientists have been successfully launching rockets for over 50 years. Fusion scientists have been trying to create a net-power fusion reaction (other than a bomb) for about 100 years and still haven't figured it out yet. I figure that must mean fusion science is a lot harder than rocket science.

Although, I suppose you could say that people who've never been successful shouldn't be the standard of intelligence. Maybe we have to hold this one in reserve until they get it to work.

Jonny99

Postby Jonny99 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:51 pm UTC

VAXHeadroom wrote:So, getting a little pissy over the use of "Nazi" in today's comic. Werner was, technically, a member of the Nazi party, but only so they didn't kill him.

When NSDAP membership was at its peak around ten percent of Germans belonged to the party. It was obviously not a crime to not be a party member. It seems obvious to me that membership of NSDAP = nazi.

The US goverment did of course employ nazis with a much shadier past than Werner von Braun:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emil_Augsburg

project2051

Postby project2051 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:07 pm UTC

Diagoras wrote:
project2051 wrote:I'm all for the commercial space systems, but what bugs me sometimes is how they get lauded for being cheaper than NASA when the comparison really isn't there. Like how I saw several articles about how Rutan's Spaceship one was doing the what the Shuttles were for so much less money. I think comparing something that can lift 7 people and the equivalent of a school bus into orbit, and something that can only lift 3 people into a suborbital hop doesn't quite work out.

United Launch Alliance, Orbital Sciences Corporation, and Space Exploration Technologies are the orbital outfits people usually mention. I've heard no one informed disparage the Space Shuttle by comparing it to SpaceShipOne/SpaceShipTwo.

Well I wouldn't exactly call them informed, more like just the general press/people feeding into the NASA's just wasting money crowd.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”