0023: "T-Shirts"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

jeffshana

0023: "T-Shirts"

Postby jeffshana » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:45 am UTC

I'm brand new here having just discovered the strip today. So please forgive if I duplicate a thread (I did search for one on this topic)

My god, "T-Shirts" may be my favorite comic of all time. Personally, after reading Paul Fussell's "Class", I no longer wear shirts with words on them.

But Randall just doesn't mock, he make syou laugh, yet builds it in a way that you almost feel empathy. Just Fantasitc.

Nomic

Postby Nomic » Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:22 pm UTC

This is one of my fauvorite comics too. Right after the "Raptor safety" one. I really need to get a shirt with warious lines. Then I could ask people to choose the one that fits the situation. A shirt with "Do I LOOK like a people person" would do too.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:48 pm UTC

I feel I'm going insane today. I'll post where i feel life. Anyway, I have the "maybe if this t-shirt is witty enough..." shirt, and I honestly don't feel like I can just up and wear it. The first few times I did it was like people felt sorry for me. "It's ironic...come on people!" ::shrug::
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Rodan
Any title.

Postby Rodan » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:50 pm UTC

ah, the black T-shirt with white lettering... a geek's form of expression...

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:25 pm UTC

This comic has inspired me to create some parody shirts of my own:

"I'm not EMO, just MISUNDERSTOOD." (Ironic parody of the original shirt which said "I'm not EVIL...".)
"My other shirt is an Abercrombie."

schrodingersduck

Re: "T-Shirts" Discussion

Postby schrodingersduck » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:16 pm UTC

The British equivalents of these shirts are even more bizarre; pretty much everyone who wants be emo/goth/scene has at least one "One by one the penguins steal my sanity" shirt, and there are all kinds of others that riff on the same theme ("I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy it"). It's either that or the customary stained My Chemical Romance/HIM/Nirvana hoodie...

pKp

Postby pKp » Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:08 pm UTC

Here in France, the hip-youth uniform is brand name parody (VODKA for Nokia may be the more popular).
And 15 years old metalheads seem to think wearing a Slipknot hoodie is mandatory.
What I need is a Tshirt with a flat, flexible screen on the chest, and one of those cool laser keyboards :mrgreen:
Experience is a thing you can't have for nothing - Oscar wilde

muteKi
Angry is too weak a term. Try "Fluffy".

Postby muteKi » Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:56 am UTC

schrodingersduck wrote:The British equivalents of these shirts are even more bizarre; pretty much everyone who wants be emo/goth/scene has at least one "One by one the penguins steal my sanity" shirt, and there are all kinds of others that riff on the same theme ("I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy it"). It's either that or the customary stained My Chemical Romance/HIM/Nirvana hoodie...

I've seen both of those shirts, and mind you I live on the other side of the Atlantic.

charonme

Postby charonme » Sun May 18, 2008 11:34 am UTC

I got a "I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either." as a gift. When I wear it among friends I tend to turn it inwards.

sparks

Postby sparks » Sun May 18, 2008 11:40 am UTC

pKp wrote:Here in France, the hip-youth uniform is brand name parody (VODKA for Nokia may be the more popular).

Same over here! Or anything in any way sex/party related as a parody of bran names or logos.

Most people here sadly don't wear many witty tees. Most are just things with skulls or, when they have words, things that don't make sense (such as "made up" university names just to fill up space) and things I'm not sure I should type up here.

I'd love to have some of those tees, they amuse me. I also like those "DUMBLEDORE DIES" ones (I'm a sucker for witty tees and hoping that someone, someday will use them as a conversation-starter so we can be amused together).
(icon by clockwork-harlequin.net)
"An idea that is not dangerous is unworthy of being called an idea at all." ~ Oscar Wilde

HedgehogsAreFunneh

Postby HedgehogsAreFunneh » Sun May 18, 2008 7:03 pm UTC

CatProximity wrote:I feel I'm going insane today. I'll post where i feel life. Anyway, I have the "maybe if this t-shirt is witty enough..." shirt, and I honestly don't feel like I can just up and wear it. The first few times I did it was like people felt sorry for me. "It's ironic...come on people!" ::shrug::

Damnit, I was SURE there was a xkcd on ironic Tshirts. But after 20 minutes, I can't find it! Gr. It was going to be all funny and stuff, too.

schrodingersduck wrote:The British equivalents of these shirts are even more bizarre; pretty much everyone who wants be emo/goth/scene has at least one "One by one the penguins steal my sanity" shirt, and there are all kinds of others that riff on the same theme ("I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy it"). It's either that or the customary stained My Chemical Romance/HIM/Nirvana hoodie...

So, penguins are goth now? o__0 I wasn't we'd spread our labels onto other species yet.
I was thinking of either meditating or napping, but the way I do it, there's not much difference except in the explanation to the rest of my family.

"If anyone finds the plot of this book, tell it I love it very much and want it to come home."

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Mon May 19, 2008 2:32 am UTC

HedgehogsAreFunneh wrote:Damnit, I was SURE there was a xkcd on ironic Tshirts. But after 20 minutes, I can't find it! Gr. It was going to be all funny and stuff, too.

This one?
http://www.xkcd.com/23/

LtBrenton

Postby LtBrenton » Mon May 19, 2008 3:48 am UTC

Hm, the only thing close to something like that I own is a Metallica Master of Puppets shirt I bought at a music/memorabilia shop in town :P

Guess everyone has to do the nooby thing at some point in life. XD

charonme

Postby charonme » Mon May 19, 2008 6:10 am UTC

hmm funny, yesterday I posted my first post here about the t-shirts and today I saw a guy with a "do I look like a f...ing person?" in a tram. Note: I live in a non-english speaking country.

Drake Zure

Postby Drake Zure » Mon May 19, 2008 6:55 am UTC

Warning:
I'm a brain-eating zombie.
(Don't worry, you're safe).

i am currently wearing that shirt. it is part of my pajamas. it amuses me, plus the text glows in the dark.
benjhuey wrote:
IceMod wrote:The fingers did surprise me though.

That's what SHE said.
And then she left. I wonder why...

Amarantha

Postby Amarantha » Fri May 23, 2008 5:05 am UTC

Drake Zure wrote:i am currently wearing that shirt. it is part of my pajamas.

I have a nightie that says, "I'm awake! What more do you want?"
omgryebread wrote:...if I'm watching a fantasy, I want my princess to stab some motherfuckers, claim the crown herself, then invade the prince's kingdom and sleep with his sister.

Monox D. I-Fly

Re: 0023: "T-Shirts"

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:26 am UTC

Well, he feels so alone because people in his surroundings are too dumb to understand him. Or they keep avoiding him because they think he is an infectious nerd.
Finally found one comic mentioning a Trading Card Game:
https://xkcd.com/696/

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”