0289: "Alone"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

william
Not a Raptor. Honest.

0289: "Alone"

Postby william » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:04 am UTC

Alt-Text: Worries assuaged, the numbers become less important than your touches.

I've always been a fan of the Fibonacci sequence(I have a poster entitled "Fibonacci Numbers in Nature"), although it's not very clear what the pattern is--is there a pause between each line?
SecondTalon wrote:A pile of shit can call itself a delicious pie, but that doesn't make it true.

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby TigerX » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:07 am UTC

Just another reminder that the only people who ever understood me are either dead or dating other guys...

THANKS AGAIN RANDALL

*goes to cry for a bit*

wocket

Postby wocket » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:07 am UTC

Damn you, once again.

*hugs pillow...tries tapping out Fibonacci sequence on pillow...figures out it's really not the same at all*

ArmonSore

Postby ArmonSore » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:11 am UTC

Agreed. xkcd: stop inventing perfect girls that fail to exist. Cases in point:

http://www.xkcd.com/c162.html
http://www.xkcd.com/c108.html
I was useful Yesterday.
-Paul McCartney.

Alpha Omicron

Postby Alpha Omicron » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:14 am UTC

^ seconded.
Here is a link to a page which leverages aggregation of my tweetbook social blogomedia.

lyworm

Postby lyworm » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:18 am UTC

I just awwwed out loud. :\
Meow.

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:19 am UTC

Chh, stop inventing guys who would appreciate the Fibonacci sequence tapped out on their stomachs. You don't exist!

While I would do this, I'm by no means close to the perfect girl. Evidence: I've never done the MC Hammer slide. :cry: We all have our shortcomings.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

Princess Marzipan

Postby Princess Marzipan » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:19 am UTC

SERIOUSLY!

I'm feeling alone enough as it is without these beautiful comics jabbing the point home. D:

>______<
"It's Saturday night. I've got no date, a two-liter of Shasta, and my all-Rush mixtape. Let's rock!"
"I am just about to be brilliant!"
General_Norris, on feminism, wrote:If you lose your six Pokémon, you lost.

Kawa

Postby Kawa » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:22 am UTC

The one thing that disappoints me about Randall is how he seems to not appreciate it when there's a significant difference between major interests/shows of geekiness within a couple.

Case in point:

Setting: Mote Marine Aquarium, Tampa, FL. There is a large display of jellyfish (Aurelia aurita). Some motor that I cannot see is creating a current in such a way that the jellyfish seem to be in a large washing machine.
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard (let's call him A for ease) is a marine biologist. Myself (let's call me K) is an applied mathematician. (At the very least, that's what our majors tell us.)

K: *fascinated by motion of jellyfish and at these very odd rings near the center*
A: *points at rings* See those? Those are the gonads.
Others around K and A: *back away slowly*
K (thinking): Strange but fascinating. And only A....
A (thinking): I'm a biologist who just did his midterm! I would pose given the chance.

My boyfriend very barely understands the Fibonnaci sequence, but it's forgivable for moments like that.
Kawa likes these things:
Spanish Ninja Bodyguard
math, anime, more!
Origami, Florida
New York, and xkcd.

UmbrageOfSnow
Not Fully Human

Postby UmbrageOfSnow » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:24 am UTC

Somnia wrote:Chh, stop inventing guys who would appreciate the Fibonacci sequence tapped out on their stomachs. You don't exist!

While I would do this, I'm by no means close to the perfect girl. Evidence: I've never done the MC Hammer slide. :cry: We all have our shortcomings.

Cool as it is, I think fulfilling 2 out of 3 comics would be good enough.

I think I may have found a nerdy enough girl for me and have a date with her Saturday, so this comic bodes well for the weekend. She is more of a literature nerd than math, but I'm flexible. The others did make me feel lonely when I first saw them.
yellie wrote:Confession: I just had to look up the word ubiquitous because I kept seeing it all over the place and had no idea what it meant.

ArmonSore

Postby ArmonSore » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:26 am UTC

Somnia wrote:While I would do this, I'm by no means close to the perfect girl. Evidence: I've never done the MC Hammer slide. We all have our shortcomings.

But don't you understand? You could learn the MC Hammer slide. But I am similarly imperfect: I probably wouldn't recognize the Fibonacci sequence if it were tapped on me.
I was useful Yesterday.

-Paul McCartney.

Irrational (?)

Postby 3.14159265... » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:27 am UTC

I want one of those :)

Objectification FTW
"The best times in life are the ones when you can genuinely add a "Bwa" to your "ha""- Chris Hastings

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:29 am UTC

ArmonSore wrote:Agreed. xkcd: stop inventing perfect girls that fail to exist. Cases in point:

Sadly thirded.

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:36 am UTC

Somnia wrote:Chh, stop inventing guys who would appreciate the Fibonacci sequence tapped out on their stomachs. You don't exist!

I second this. Boys never seem to appreciate these things. I'm a girl, I'm kind of pretty, I'm a programmer, I would /love/ to have a long conversation about programming or literature or various other geeky things, but... no one ever seems to want to.

On the internet I'm, like, the dream girl of ten guys I know from forums. In real life boys avoid me because I lack social skills. Alas.

jinzougen

Postby jinzougen » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:36 am UTC

ArmonSore wrote:Agreed. xkcd: stop inventing perfect girls that fail to exist. Cases in point:

Believe it or not, my girlfriend who I live with (because we aren't married yet) is totally awesome and thinks it's cute when I do things like that. The guy in this comic is actually a LOT like me. I often find myself playing with the half and half creamers at restaurants and counting floor tiles near the toilet in public restrooms. I have a habit of looking at words and trying to quickly locate the middle letter or, in the case of an even number of letters, locate the space between the middle two. In bed at night, I have been known to count the number of boards in the headboard of the bed and become exited to discover there are a prime number of them (17).

And instead of despite all this, it is probably because of things like this that Jen will never leave me :)

So, don't lose hope. They exist.
Once bread becomes toast, it can never be bread again.

OmenPigeon
Peddler of Gossamer Lies

Postby OmenPigeon » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:41 am UTC

The OEIS worms its way into more and more parts of my life every day.

A01203. Hot.

The trick, of course, is to choose a sequence that's both interesting and grows slowly enough to remain tractable. The fifth element of the above, for example, would be difficult to sustain in foreplay for even the most, erm, hardened digitophile.

A25681 has some potential. It lacks a certain... elegance, though. More research is clearly needed.
As long as I am alive and well I will continue to feel strongly about prose style, to love the surface of the earth, and to take pleasure in scraps of useless information.
~ George Orwell

doomofdoom

Postby doomofdoom » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:41 am UTC

I had a girlfriend once who was just as big of a math nerd as I am. We would always try to make different patterns and codes to challenge each other and see if the other person could figure it out. Sadly, we broke up because we ended up going to different schools. *sigh*

Strilanc

Postby Strilanc » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:46 am UTC

So concentrated on the internet, so spread out in reality.
Don't pay attention to this signature, it's contradictory.

Kal_Torak

Postby Kal_Torak » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:47 am UTC

There is a chance to un-spread out in September ;)

Omniferous

Postby Omniferous » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:47 am UTC

Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

Sadly thirded.

It's really simple. All you need is an elevator with a blank button, some tape, a bit of paper and a writing utensil. Quick, try it with "Love".

Mighty Jalapeno
Inne Juste 7 Dayes I Wille Make You A Hero!

Postby Mighty Jalapeno » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:55 am UTC

Omniferous wrote:
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:

Sadly thirded.

It's really simple. All you need is an elevator with a blank button, some tape, a bit of paper and a writing utensil. Quick, try it with "Love".

I did. A janitor named Scruffy tried to hug me.

Tunesmith

Postby Tunesmith » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:45 am UTC

jinzougen wrote:

I have a habit of looking at words and trying to quickly locate the middle letter or, in the case of an even number of letters, locate the space between the middle two.

Dude! I thought I was the only one that did that! I mean, floor tiles are a given - I see people doing the funny little pattern dance constantly - but I was convinced I was the only word-counter.

Glad to know this strange little world isn't so strange after all. :D

liza
It's teatime somewhere

Postby liza » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:49 am UTC

UmbrageOfSnow wrote:Cool as it is, I think fulfilling 2 out of 3 comics would be good enough.

I think I may have found a nerdy enough girl for me and have a date with her Saturday, so this comic bodes well for the weekend. She is more of a literature nerd than math, but I'm flexible. The others did make me feel lonely when I first saw them.

Sweet. There's hope yet!
I too wouldn't mind dating a different sect of geek. A hardcore math or physics or literature geek would suit me just fine. Actually those first two count as a turn-on!

ArmonSore wrote:But don't you understand? You could learn the MC Hammer slide. But I am similarly imperfect: I probably wouldn't recognize the Fibonacci sequence if it were tapped on me.

Yes, we must learn these skills and become romantic ubermensches. Huzzah!

Darcey wrote:

I second this. Boys never seem to appreciate these things. I'm a girl, I'm kind of pretty, I'm a programmer, I would /love/ to have a long conversation about programming or literature or various other geeky things, but... no one ever seems to want to.

On the internet I'm, like, the dream girl of ten guys I know from forums. In real life boys avoid me because I lack social skills. Alas.

No kidding. I, in theory, should attract some sort of fabulously geeky guy. I was one of like, five girls in my calculus class. How does that not automatically equal romance? *Sigh* I swear, I'm not quite this mimsy in real life; xkcd's romance comics bring it out in me.

Tunesmith wrote:
jinzougen wrote:I have a habit of looking at words and trying to quickly locate the middle letter or, in the case of an even number of letters, locate the space between the middle two.

Dude! I thought I was the only one that did that! I mean, floor tiles are a given - I see people doing the funny little pattern dance constantly - but I was convinced I was the only word-counter.

Oh, I don't think that's rare at all. I also do it constantly, and I think a few people I know do it too.
Felstaff wrote:
Okita wrote:"What are you up to?"

"Attempting to save the free world and preserve Democracy...without Liza"
But...But [that would] just be announcing you're definitely about to fail.

marco

Postby marco » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:52 am UTC

*sigh*
I feel really lonely now

Tunesmith

Postby Tunesmith » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:55 am UTC

Somnia wrote:
Tunesmith wrote:
jinzougen wrote:I have a habit of looking at words and trying to quickly locate the middle letter or, in the case of an even number of letters, locate the space between the middle two.

Oh, I don't think that's rare at all. I also do it constantly, and I think a few people I know do it too.

I guess I was just embarrassed about my quirk, so I never brought it up around anybody. :oops:

Sucks when you get an extended phrase, no? Like rebarbative zeitgeist minions (I forget when I read that, but it held my attention for around half a minute :) )

Darcey

Postby Darcey » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:57 am UTC

I swear, I'm not quite this mimsy in real life; xkcd's romance comics bring it out in me.

Yeah, I'm not usually as desperate as I've appeared in all of my less than ten posts thus far on XKCD.

..I do mental anagrams. Or at least I did during the school year; I've mostly stopped now that I have less of an imperative to occupy time.

Herman

Postby Herman » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:04 am UTC

I like this comic because it moves the whole meme about nerds being socially detached onto the other foot. The happy conclusion is reached not by Guy shaking off his nerdiness but by Girl embracing it.

(Says single guy who automatically makes equations from the time on digital clocks)

Wish fulfillment FTW.

aldimond
Otter-duck

Postby aldimond » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:06 am UTC

Borrowing rhythms from mixed-meter musical pieces could be a variation on this concept.

Perhaps Reich's Clapping Music.

Because it provides its own invitation to join in with the second part. Which would be a challenge, and rollicking fun.
One of these days my desk is going to collapse in the middle and all its weight will come down on my knee and tear my new fake ACL. It could be tomorrow. This is my concern.

joeythehobo

Postby joeythehobo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:07 am UTC

lol, geek dating service coming on.

Male Math/Computer Science Geek seeking Female Literature Nerd

Yes, we are all so lonely. As for the comment on 5 girls in a calculus class. My school had the same amount, and nothing their either. I think it may be an over-concentration of nerdiness. Maybe clogging he pores.

I dunno, lol.

btw; I think I've found a nerd too. I hope!
-Because, really, the only difference between martyrdom and suicide is the amount of press coverage-

Aglet

Postby Aglet » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:16 am UTC

I think all nerd girls actually live in some remote town where nobody else is. On the Internet, I'm always assured of the presence of these perfect girls, but in real life, they're frustratingly rare.

ShadowLurker

Postby ShadowLurker » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:20 am UTC

meh, this comic is a bit too unrealistic.

antonfire

Postby antonfire » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:21 am UTC

I think that perhaps the ideal that guys seem to go for is a girl who appreciates nerdiness, but doesn't outnerd the guy. Most people on these fora, I imagine, are used to being the nerdiest person around. Dating somebody nerdier all of a sudden can be intimidating, or even discouraging.

Regarding the comic, I used to play a sequence poking game with someone I knew. I'd poke her a_0 times, she'd poke me a_1 times, I'd poke her a_2 times, and so on. It usually ended up being Fibonnaci or factorials, just because those are the obvious ones that start with one one.

jsnipe

Postby jsnipe » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:22 am UTC

TigerX wrote:Just another reminder that the only people who ever understood me are either dead or dating other guys...

THANKS AGAIN RANDALL

*goes to cry for a bit*

Well that's guaranteed to get you a few private messages.

(BTW- did you notice how classy I was to not send a pm? Maybe you should pm me and we can chat...)
Bite me. Better yet; hold still.

Herman

Postby Herman » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:45 am UTC

I think all nerd girls actually live in some remote town where nobody else is. On the Internet, I'm always assured of the presence of these perfect girls, but in real life, they're frustratingly rare.

I knew a couple in high school. I was good friends with one, and I think she may have liked me. I'm not sure because I never tried to find out, because I'm a moron. Gah.

__Kit

Postby __Kit » Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:51 am UTC

I think this is very relative to the threads that have been floating around recently, which may all be my fault...
=]

Pathway
Leon Sumbitches...?

Postby Pathway » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:01 am UTC

Kawa wrote:My boyfriend very barely understands the Fibonnaci sequence, but it's forgivable for moments like that.

Teach him, in the way that only a woman can.
SargeZT wrote:Oh dear no, I love penguins. They're my favorite animal ever besides cows.

The reason I would kill penguins would be, no one ever, ever fucking kills penguins.

EradicateIV

Postby EradicateIV » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:05 am UTC

XKCD again makes me feel alone because of my longing for a female that would do this.

*huge huger hugest sigh*

Our truth is only as good as our assumptions.

TigerX
its the squiggles dude!

Postby TigerX » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:11 am UTC

jsnipe wrote: Well that's guaranteed to get you a few private messages.

Guaranteed, eh? Hrmn... Might have to inquire about getting my purchase price back.

(BTW- did you notice how classy I was to not send a pm? Maybe you should pm me and we can chat...)

Very classy, but there's something you should probably know first... :-D

ZerothRoot

Postby ZerothRoot » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:16 am UTC

OmenPigeon wrote:The OEIS worms its way into more and more parts of my life every day.

A01203. Hot.

The trick, of course, is to choose a sequence that's both interesting and grows slowly enough to remain tractable. The fifth element of the above, for example, would be difficult to sustain in foreplay for even the most, erm, hardened digitophile.

A25681 has some potential. It lacks a certain... elegance, though. More research is clearly needed.

Personally I like A027413 the best so far.

Notch

Postby Notch » Fri Jul 13, 2007 7:19 am UTC

Oh dear god, this one almost made me cry. Seriously, if I had blinked, there'd been tears.
I don't think the internets has ever cut this deep nor precisely before, ever. This is what's right with reality. This is art.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”