0990: “Plastic Bags”

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

DaveInsurgent

Re: 0990: “Plastic Bags”

Postby DaveInsurgent » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:27 pm UTC

I thought it was interesting that this whole reusable bag phenomenon came up what feels like fairly recently, but my 2 and 3 year old children love watching Bill Nye the Science Guy and in one of his (old) episodes he goes shopping and when he's asked paper or plastic, he says "No thanks, I brought my own". The idea has been around for a while, but it's not until stores start telling you about (read: selling you) the bags that people start acting like they're saving the planet.

How could you possibly go through as many trash bags as grocery bags?

Poopy diapers to start, but yes we do have a fair sized grocery bag collection in a lower drawer. It still beats buying garbage bags - we throw out a bag of trash a day basically, full or not, because it smells and we live in an apartment.

fagzal

Postby fagzal » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:38 pm UTC

Soooo... people are actually worried about plastic bags that they carry around with a car? :)

milN

Postby milN » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:38 pm UTC

This never happens in eco-friendly Germany. Plastic bags cost money and double bagging is literally unheard-of =] In some supermarkets you can get a cheap flimsy free plastic bag, but you have to ask and the cashier has to get it from under the table =b
glad to see that our friends over the ocean are going for the reusable bag/backpack grocery-carrying method.

Xezlec

Postby Xezlec » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:43 pm UTC

If you really cared about the environment, you'd take all the bags you could get, and then bury them when you get home, to sequester the carbon.

I kid, but my point is that environmentalist thought, however well-intentioned and, to some extent, well-motivated it might be, is often not all that thoroughly reasoned-out. A few plastic bags don't represent (at all) a significant amount of your daily energy consumption, and are really only a significant environmental hazard if you litter. So don't do that.

Regarding the reusable bags: if you go to the store the same time every week, set a calendar alarm on your smartphone to remind you to take the bag into the car, then another to remind you to take it out of the car. You could even tie it in to GPS so it knows when you've arrived at the store. Problem solved.

cellocgw

Re: 0990: "Plastic Bags"

Postby cellocgw » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

javahead wrote:
nebulous wrote:Without trying to sound obvious, plastic bags are reusable bags. They also fold up pretty small, for convenience.

Good for dog poop too.

You jest, but this one lots of people seem to take seriously. Now I just gotta wonder: which is more environmentally sane? A) leave the dog poop on the lawn, so within a couple weeks max it's fully decomposed and adding nutrients to the soil, or B) put the poop into a never-use-again plastic bag which is nonbiodegradable (there are no truly degradable plastic bags out there. The suppliers lie) and add the now-sealed blob of poop to a landfill, along with the plastic which now cannot be separated and fed to a plastics recycling plant?

Yeah, I know, " you damn kids^H^H^H^H dogpoops get offa my lawn"
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

Xezlec

Postby Xezlec » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:54 pm UTC

A. Smith wrote:Oh, and recycling is definitely good for the environment. Just take aluminium... It takes 20 times as much power to make new aluminium out of Bauxite compared to recycling old one. it's very economically viable, too... more then a third of the US' production of aluminium is from recycling scrap.

Heh. I like how you say "just take aluminum", as though it's a typical example. Aluminum recycling is one of the only kinds of recycling you can actually get paid for, and one of the only ones even die-hard Conservatives accept. Aluminum happens to be one of the most energy-intensive structural materials in the world to produce. That's why it was considered a precious metal until very recently. And you probably know all of this.

suzi

Postby suzi » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:56 pm UTC

I know this strip seems to be about groceries, but working in retail in the holiday season let me tell you you want to use as few bags as possible. We run out, and then we're screwed. I'm not identifying with this phenomenon.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:58 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
javahead wrote:
nebulous wrote:Without trying to sound obvious, plastic bags are reusable bags. They also fold up pretty small, for convenience.

Good for dog poop too.

You jest, but this one lots of people seem to take seriously. Now I just gotta wonder: which is more environmentally sane? A) leave the dog poop on the lawn, so within a couple weeks max it's fully decomposed and adding nutrients to the soil, or B) put the poop into a never-use-again plastic bag which is nonbiodegradable (there are no truly degradable plastic bags out there. The suppliers lie) and add the now-sealed blob of poop to a landfill, along with the plastic which now cannot be separated and fed to a plastics recycling plant?

what happens when a dog poops on a concrete path and you have to bag it up and carry it to a designated bin? Leaving it where it is is illegal, and no one wants dog poop on their own lawn.

The best option is to flush it down a toilet, okay for if you use a shovel or something to puck it up directly from your garden to the toilet, (so long as you don't mind walking dog shit through your own house) but out and about, that still wastes a bag unless you want to clean it and/or reuse it yourself. (although on research I discovered you can get flushable poo bags, i assume they are quite degradable)

Melissassenach

Postby Melissassenach » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:01 pm UTC

This comic and just about everyone's replies are making me so mad. I'm a cashier at a Stop and Shop in New York and people have ridiculous bagging expectations that I cannot fulfill unless you ask me because I am not a mind reader. If you buy five items (and are not bagging them yourself even though there is a station specifically set up at the end of the register for you to bag yourself) yes I might put five items in three bags, but it depends on the items. Let's say you got some cleaning supplies, some meat, a hand of bananas, eggs, and bread. Why would I put meat and cleaning supplies together? And I wouldn't put meat with anything else because of cross contamination, I would the bread and eggs together so that it would be the delicate bag you don's mess with but where am I supposed to comfortably fit the bananas in the bread/egg bag? You still have to either walk home or at LEAST get all the bags to the car without them breaking while fumbling with your keys, change, and most likely cellphone. I try to bag the same way I would bag for myself if I was taking it home. I don't know that you want it heavy so you have to tell me. But I also have people who come with 15 items and ask me to put them ALL in one bag. How do you expect me to do that? Should I put your five pound bag of flour on TOP of your eggs? Besides, the more you spread out the items the lighter it will feel. If I fill up two bags to capacity for you when you're carrying the bags the weight of the items is going to pull the plastic handles tight down around your fingers, making it seem much heavier. If I split it up over four bags, the weight is more evenly distributed and then you don't have the plastic digging into your fingers. Also, I hate when people complain how I bag for them as they literally stand there WATCHING me bag when there's a bagging station right there for them to use. They don't have to tell me or inform me or ask at any time. They can just start doing it whenever they'd like. And even if you did have to tell the cashier before you start/before you pay is that really such a big deal? "oh man, I had to say WORDS to that CREATURE today! It was awful! I actually had to make contact with a lesser being and tell them that I would bag my own items which is ridiculous because they are my slave and should know exactly how I want my items bagged!" I swear to god people go into a supermarket and lose all sense of human decency and also all of their sanity. This is not rocket science. I'm not doing surgery on your kid. You will get your ring dings and your soda so calm the fuck down and stop treating literally everyone you come across like a dog.

rhhardin

Postby rhhardin » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:04 pm UTC

The breast cancer awareness reusable bags are heavily discounted the month after breast cancer awareness month.

Oktalist

Postby Oktalist » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:07 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:
pbnjstowell wrote:And the raw meat never goes in with the veggies.

I can't figure out why this would matter.

Ever eaten raw meat?
philip1201 wrote:Not everything which maps countable infinities onto finite areas is a Lovecraft reference.

Melissassenach

Postby Melissassenach » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:08 pm UTC

Randomness wrote:
jpk wrote:
You mean they cleverly don't stand around waiting for you to finish fiddling with the card terminal, but get the job done so the people behind you can get on with their day instead of waiting for you to try to get everything into one less bag and save a flippin' dime? Those bastards.

I hate bagers. I always have to rebag my items after they touch it. I even put items on the belt so that one bag goes down to the checker, then the next, etc. I have watched as some idiots but milk on top of bananas -rageface-

I am impressed that someone manages to get the bags all the way to the car. But as all the plastic bags get used as garbage bags I don't have much incentive to change my habits.

Then why don't you bag for yourself? There's a store near my house where those girls can't bag for shit and guess what I do? I bag for myself. I get that they're being paid to bag but they're also scanning everything, dealing with your money and your coupons and your "NO THIS IS 2 FOR 5 YOU RANG IT UP WRONG" nonsense so is it such a big deal to give them a hand on the bagging? It's a win-win-win the cashiers don't have to listen to your bullshit, you get your stuff packed exactly as you want it, and everyone gets out of their quicker. The only reason people like you specifically watch cashiers bag is so that you can be a jerk about it.

zae

Postby zae » Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:46 pm UTC

Oktalist wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:

Ever eaten raw meat?

Steak tartare, Korean yukhoe, Japanese basashi.
Raw meat can be quite delicious.

drakvl

Postby drakvl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:00 pm UTC

I've just stopped using bags. This takes some preparation: unloading one region of the cart so it doesn't look like I'm trying to pull one over on the checkout clerk, arranging the purchases so it's easy for the greeter to compare with the receipt, and always having the receipt ready. I just toss everything into the passenger side.

With self checkout, the machine has a scale to determine whether something's been bagged, so I put my items directly on the scale. This wouldn't be all that sanitary, except I don't buy raw meat. Still, now that I think about it, there are all those vegetable salmonella scares.

forbiddenSpell

Postby forbiddenSpell » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:03 pm UTC

Plasma_Wolf wrote:My brother once bought one of those big survival bags and the girl at the store actually asked if he wanted to have it in a bag...

The last person who bought one probably yelled at her for not putting her bag in a bag. Happened to me in retail all the time.

When I lived in Minnesota, there was a discount grocery store that charged for bags, so everyone just brought a re-usable one or just packed everything in there car without bags. They also charged $0.25 for cart (IE Trolley) usage. Never really bothered me, considering how good the prices of the actual food was.

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:11 pm UTC

Red Hal wrote:That's more like it. Wit, panache, a reference to xkcdsucks and a stubborn refusal to grasp the point that sometimes the image merely illustrates the alt-text. Keep 'em coming!

"Reference to xkcdsucks"? You're not talking about me there, are you? I never referenced it.

Also, "the image merely illustrates the alt-text" is about the most negative kind of review a webcomic could ever get, and not a justification of style. That's sort of like some fanboy of some phony pseudo-rock-band countering the criticism by saying "the singer holds the guitar not to play it, but only to look cool".

But even as a "mere illustration" the artwork (in the words of the great George Starostin) sucks donkey's ass: it is too rushed and informal to work as a "diagram", and is too ugly, simplistic and what-the-fuck-is-that to be, well, anything else. Seriously, what the fuck. Graphics like that are sort of apt when you scribble on your napkin when you're in a pub getting drunk out of your mind to make a quick, passing joke that everyone will forget five minutes later. And not only that: the horrible, atrocious artwork illustrates a comic about plastic bags. Plastic bags. If I had to prepare a stand-up comic routine in 3 minutes for an audience of a thousand, I'd certainly find a more interesting topic than that -- and even if I didn't, I'd find something funnier to say than that alt-text.

Besides, did you notice how many words are in that comic? There is, literally, more writing than artwork in the comic.

Is there any level, any aspect in which today's comic is NOT a failure? ... oh, I know! There are no randomly-out-of-place words in it.

WATER

WildBidoof

Postby WildBidoof » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

When I was Just a Lad I worked as a bag boy. A snooty lady asked for everything in "Extra Extra Extra Light bags." Not know The weight tolerance of 3xExtra. I put every item some 40 items in al,l into their own plastic bags. And yes I double bagged the milk.
Last edited by WildBidoof on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:33 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Webzter

Postby Webzter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:33 pm UTC

There have been a few stores around here (various midwest US locations) that have attempted to encourage BYOB by taking 5 cents off per bag you bring versus charging you for each bag. I guess there'd be some attempt to game the system but $0.05 really isn't enough to bother with.

A few stores also offer bins when you walk in to deposit your used plastic bags to be recycled. I'm not sure of the efficiency, but I'd have to imagine it's fairly low. Still, it does seem to be a fairly popular option.

As for my wife and me... we keep a few nylon bags in the car. They pack small, wash easy, and dry fast. Plus, you can load them to the brim with anything. No bags in any trash bin except the kitchen trash. Dog poop goes in its own compost pile where it's then used on non-edibles. (not that it should matter if it's thermophilically composted, but why take chances).

I suspect I picked some of this up from my mom, who has been reusing bags since the '70's. She's very much not an environmentalist nor a hippie, but she is way into living frugal and Genesis 1:26-31. Apparently washing and reusing ziplock bags isn't a normal part of childhood for most people.

Oh, and just to wrap up this rambling post... self-checkout is all the rage here. Generally grocery stores seem to be staffed such that you have an incentive to do it yourself (not enough clerks or they're incredibly slow). The larger all-in-one stores (like Meijer, a regional grocery+ retail big box), have smaller self-checkout stations for small orders and larger self-checkouts with conveyor belts on both sides of the terminal. Plus, on the bagging end, there's a barrier one can put up so the next person can start checking out while you finish bagging.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:51 pm UTC

Round here (North England) most, but not all, shops offer free bags on request (good enough for several uses), most larger supermarkets sell "reusable" bags, and some offer loyalty points for reusing bags.

As for bagging, supermarkets usually leave it to you; most other shops, the cashier will bag your purchases for you (unless you stop them). The major distinction seems to be between shops where the checkout is on/after a conveyor belt, and those where the checkout is at a counter.

hakuna_miata

Postby hakuna_miata » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:06 pm UTC

I've never worked in a place where they require you to spread the items across bags, in fact they challenge you to use fewer bags. Redner's went as far as forcing the management to make the cashiers(me) to use up the couple bags that didn't you had to push to the side for whatever reason, meaning it'd multiply how long an order would take to do by three times. RadioShack and Harbor Freight don't care, do whatever the customer asks/you feel makes sense. It was REALLY irritating at Redner's, because I have rather dry hands and can't make the bags divide easily for one, and they only had really shitty bags. They tried fixing this by buying better bags... from the same company with horrid quality control.

keithl

Postby keithl » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:11 pm UTC

None of you understand the true spirit of consumer wastefulness. Every trip, you should buy half a dozen of the reusable cloth bags for your groceries - pack them light! When you get home, use these durable bags as trash can liners, the way you used to do with the cheap plastic bags. Now your discarded bags will last for thousands of years in the landfill, instead of mere centuries. For extra points, pour used motor oil into your bags of trash before you throw it out, perhaps some herbicide or battery acid.

This way, you get the approval of everyone who sees you buying cloth bags ( "halleluhah, reformed sinner!" ), and you still get to be a black hat bastard! After all, Jesus won't give us a new planet until this one is all used up.

Fritzed

Postby Fritzed » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:18 pm UTC

This is why Costco is genius. They don't have plastic bags at all, instead they save space in their recycling bin by getting all of their customers to take random bits of excess cardboard.

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:25 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:I can't help but feel that future archaeologists will unearth these and conclude we were a planet of poop worshippers.

That would be awesome. We should come up with more cool ways to troll future archaeologists.

lly

Postby lly » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:29 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Is there any level, any aspect in which today's comic is NOT a failure? ... oh, I know! There are no randomly-out-of-place words in it.

WATER

There's also no bizarre and gratuitous NSFW aspects and it isn't revolting. Just pointless.

charliechaplinpants

Postby charliechaplinpants » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:42 pm UTC

Alt Text: "The high I feel when I actually remember to bring my reusable bags to the store--and take them inside rather than leaving them in the parked car--can last for days."

A few months ago, a friend pointed out that if you forget your bags in the car, you can just have the bagger put the groceries directly back into the cart (or another cart, depending on store practices), and then put them in the bags yourself when you get to the car. This totally made me go: :shock: So simple, yet so elusive! Now I do this frequently, not (just) because I'm that forgetful, but because it avoids obnoxious behavior like the baggers who give me the nasty look when I point out that the frozen stuff should go into the one insulated bag, but if I don't point it out invariably put it in one of the non-insulated ones.

drewder

Postby drewder » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:12 pm UTC

In my experiance the cheaper the supermarket the more likely you are to bag your own stuff.

I should point out that they are charging you 10 cents for an item that littlerly costs a fraction of a penny and the best part is how many of you agree that that is the way it should be.
For the record they don't charge me for bags here in North Carolina.

drewder

Postby drewder » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:14 pm UTC

cellocgw wrote:
javahead wrote:

Good for dog poop too.

You can't fertalize with dog poop. Poop from any animal that eats meat will kill plants.

woodmntseabear

Postby woodmntseabear » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:17 pm UTC

I would buy a reusable bag with this comic on it. Just sayin'. :D

pbnjstowell

Postby pbnjstowell » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:20 pm UTC

zae wrote:
Oktalist wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:

Ever eaten raw meat?

Steak tartare, Korean yukhoe, Japanese basashi.
Raw meat can be quite delicious.

Depends on the raw meat.
I don't really want hamburger juices soaked into my celery.
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

Webzter

Postby Webzter » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:44 pm UTC

drewder wrote:You can't fertalize with dog poop. Poop from any animal that eats meat will kill plants.

Personal observation of the effects of my dog's stool on my grass and the fact that millions of farmers in Asia have used raw human waste for centuries seems to belie your statement. I'd be interested in learning more though.

RedPhoenix122

Postby RedPhoenix122 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:46 pm UTC

True story. I used to work at a grocery store, and we offered a 5 cent credit for each bag you brought if we used it. Now, an older lady came in early in the day, and all she had was a carton of ice cream. She brought in her own bag, and asked if I could put a plastic bag inside her bag, just so the ice cream didn't get the inside of the bag messy. I understand that, so I had no problem with it. Then she asks for the 5-cent credit.

Some battles just aren't worth fighting, so I gave it to her.

VoronX

Postby VoronX » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:31 pm UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:
How could you possibly go through as many trash bags as grocery bags?

Two words: Dirty Diapers.

Two more words: Cat Litter.

I usually bag myself for several reasons: (1) I prefer fewer, heavier double-bags. (2) they always single-bag things with sharp corners that inevitable tear the bag unless its doubled. (3) as I mentioned above, they are perfect for helping to contain the foulness of dirty diapers and wipes and if double-bagged are great for daily cat litter scooping. (4) I tend to be better at putting the things I want together in the bag compared to the store-baggers.

Yes, I'm going to hell and destroying the planet but there you have it.
A humble Pilgrim0 awash in the Sea1 of TimeS, unstuck, observing the wonderful Stars therin . . . waiting for IT.
0 - Billy
1 - BIG
S - Like a River2?

2 - small, and a host of other adjectives

FibonacciPrower

Postby FibonacciPrower » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:38 pm UTC

This doesn't happen in Colombia.
Plastic bags are free for the buyer, but the store (obviously) has to pay for them anyway. As a consequence they use as few plastic bags as possible, and they never use double bags.
Finding out upon coming back home that your vegetables now taste of liquid dishwasher is not fun.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:52 pm UTC

Webzter wrote:
drewder wrote:You can't fertalize with dog poop. Poop from any animal that eats meat will kill plants.

Personal observation of the effects of my dog's stool on my grass and the fact that millions of farmers in Asia have used raw human waste for centuries seems to belie your statement. I'd be interested in learning more though.

Humans are omnivores, whereas dogs, being carnivores have the wrong stool chemistry to be effective for fertilization, not that it would be 100% ineffective, just not effective enough to be worth it in any way.

deskjethp

Postby deskjethp » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:09 pm UTC

At my grocery store, everything is shoved into the cart at the end of the checkout line. You can go to the "bagging tables" where they have probably about 50000 paper bags under the tables and some plastic bag dispensers on top. None of this bag at the register business.
arbivark wrote:when i was first a tenant at 19, i was probably a nuisance .. a bother, to the landlord because i'd do stuff like, hey there's a fireplace here, get me a hammer, hey if i make a hole in my ceiling there's an attic that runs the length of the rowhouses.

dangernewman

Postby dangernewman » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:35 pm UTC

So, I work at a grocery store as a manager. And I'll tell you guys something. They take their plastic bags very seriously. Each plastic bag costs $.05 . So the CEOs of all of these grocery stores and all the "big wigs" or whatever the fuck. They're investing in all these new types of plastic bags so they're more efficient so they don't have to use as many bags to save money. (Big plastic bag conspiracy.) Our store for example got these new bags called "Hippo Bags". They've reinforced these plastic bags with these new seams or something and you can put like 4 2ltrs of soda in a bag and swing it around. So they told us that since we got these new bags that we need to just cram everything into as little bags as possible so they can save money on bags. But long story short, when it comes down to the 17 year old kid who doesn't give a shit about your groceries; they tend to just do it exactly as the comic described.
ALSO:
People, wash your reusable bags. They tend to start to smell bad when they've been wadded up in your trunk for a few weeks.

ashley

Postby ashley » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:57 pm UTC

Netzach wrote:I read on the homepage for The Swedish Plastics and Chemicals Federation that a standard plastic bag weighing less than 30 g could carry 20 kg. Are the American bags of lesser quality or is he buying some heavy stuff? Maybe all circles are kettlebells without handles?

Wal-Mart bags, which seem pretty typical to other grocery stores I've shopped at, weigh 6g each (I weighed four at once for 24g).

My first time shopping at a hypermarket in France I was caught off-guard with not realizing I had to bag my own. In the Netherlands, where my husband is from, even the high-end grocery store Albert Heijn requires you to bag your own, but they are small and *everywhere*, within quick cycling distance if not walking distance, and using one of those forms of transportation you'd certainly prefer to bag things yourself. When my husband moved here in late 2004 I saw his futile attempts to get cashiers to not bag his groceries because they were going into a backpack so we could cycle home with them. He soon gave up and I still see no sign that it'd be any easier to get cashiers to use our bags. That, and we live 14 miles from a grocery store so we buy a lot at once -- too many reusable bags to carry in all the time.

unus vox

Postby unus vox » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:25 pm UTC

GOOMBR?
Spoiler:

eaglewings51

Postby eaglewings51 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:57 pm UTC

wdflu wrote:

Sad to say this, but in the US most aren't because the stores buy the cheapest, thinnest, most useless bags that don't hold for long.

True that. The cashiers have to double bag way more stuff than they used to. One cashier told me that was because they're recyled so much that they're not as strong any more. Recycling is actually making the bags weaker and making you use more.

I shop at Fred Meyer (Kroger's for those of you on the East Coast) and occaisonally Safeway. Neither place has baggers; the cashier just does it. And I have yet to have a problem with the cashier bagging wrong stuff together. They're usually about five times faster than I could do it myself as well.

Also, I agree with what's been said about plastic bags being reusable. My family uses them for so much stuff: trash bags, packing to keep stuff from rattling around in the box when mailing items, keeping your wet swimsuit from getting everything else in your backpack wet on the way home, lining the inside of a wet pair of boots to keep your socks dry if you can't wait for the boots to dry, and carrying mail to the car when it's raining/snowing.

bp920091

Postby bp920091 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:35 am UTC

As someone who worked for Target during my highschool years and during the summer of my freshman year of college, i can tell you, without a doubt, that cashiers bag groceries faster with plastic bags about 95% if not more of the time.

Every time that i see a person bringing a reusable bag in the checkout line, i cringe a little inside, as they hold up the line for at least 2-3x as long as anyone else. I can usually get a person rung up (Assuming less than 20 items) before they get their credit card through the card reader, sometimes even before they get their cash out. Also, getting people who say, "Oh, i have a reusable bag" AFTER they are done paying, after i am all done bagging, and who insist that i HAVE to put it into a bag, really slows down the experience for everyone in the line.

As Target prides itself (at least my store) on FAST service, reusable bags are a thorn in our side. Hey, even if we have TWO people in line, we get a little nervous, rerouting employees all around the store into open registers as SOON as the line hits 3 people.

I probably rang up around 300 customers a day when i was pulling 40 hour weeks, and if i was to use reusable bags instead of plastic bags, my number would drop by roughly 25-50% if not more.

Remember that the plastic bags have ALREADY been made, and if you really want to do good for the enviornment, you should recycle them.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”