0991: "Phantom Menace"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

deskjethp

0991: "Phantom Menace"

Postby deskjethp » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:08 am UTC

Alt Text: "We could go to the theater across town and see if it's opened THERE yet, but we don't want to lose our place in line."
arbivark wrote:when i was first a tenant at 19, i was probably a nuisance .. a bother, to the landlord because i'd do stuff like, hey there's a fireplace here, get me a hammer, hey if i make a hole in my ceiling there's an attic that runs the length of the rowhouses.

finity

Re: 0991: "Phantom Menace"

Postby finity » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:09 am UTC

Huh? Are they in Detroit?

Kithplana

Postby Kithplana » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:15 am UTC

I was briefly horrified when I thought it had been ten years since the release of Phantom Menace. I would just feel old if it had been ten years.

It... is not the tenth year since the release. As long as I don't do the math I'll be fine.

bhoot

Postby bhoot » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:16 am UTC

Anyone notice that the puddle on the ground changes color in panel 3?

soren121

Postby soren121 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:21 am UTC

For those confused:

They're in line waiting for the 3D re-release of The Phantom Menace...except that they're the only ones there, because everyone hates Phantom Menace.
PHP/XHTML/CSS Programmer
http://www.sorenstudios.com/
Fueled by all of this and V8

JetstreamGW

Postby JetstreamGW » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:24 am UTC

Kithplana wrote:I was briefly horrified when I thought it had been ten years since the release of Phantom Menace. I would just feel old if it had been ten years.

It... is not the tenth year since the release. As long as I don't do the math I'll be fine.

You're absolutely right. It hasn't been ten years since the release. Not at all, in fact. You're pretty far off.

It's been TWELVE, SON! Don't live in the denial! Let the hate flow through you!

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:38 am UTC

Hopefully my 3D nausea will distract me from my Jar Jar nausea.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:46 am UTC

I haven't seen it since I was 14, but I don't recall it being that bad. Granted, Jar Jar Binks has been forgotten completely, but the only concession I ever give Star Wars fans is that Clone Wars sucked.

DarkLoaf

Postby DarkLoaf » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:08 am UTC

Jar Jar Binks aside, I enjoyed Phantom Menace. It had my personal favorite lightsaber duel in the history of the series. Plus screw haters, pod racing was frickin' awesome, I remember playing star wars pod racer on n64.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:20 am UTC

Wait, they are releasing the Digitally Remastered 3D edition of Phantom Menace?

If only they could just fix the plot.

Episode IV: Evil Mooks slaughter Rebel Mooks, Angry Badass captures Hotty Hotterson, but not before Gaybot and Trashbot escape, Gaybot and Trashbot get captured and sold to Crybaby, Crybaby teams up with the bots to find Old Dude, then recruit Captain McAwesome and McGruff, all get captured by Angry Badass and the Sphere of Doom, they rescue Hotty Hotterson but Old Dude sacrifices himself so the others can escape, but sacrifice is wasted anyway because Crybaby and crew didn't run, they escape anyway while the Sphere of Doom tracks them, team up with Rebel Mooks, Rebel Mooks and Crybaby take on the Sphere of Doom, and Crybaby destroys the Sphere of Doom because of Old Dude and Captain McAwesome.

Episode V: Life in Planet Alaska, Crybaby gets lost and fights a yeti, then gets shoved into a corpse, rebels lose Battle of Awesome and must flee, Crybaby goes to Swamp Planet to train under Weirdo and becomes Crybaby-monk, Captain McAwesome, McGruff, Gaybot, Trashbot, and Hotty Hotterson go into hiding, Angry Badass sends Silent McBadass to search for that Group, Group hides in Gas Planet only to be betrayed by Weasel to Angry Badass and Silent McBadass, Angry Badass freezes Captain McAwesome and gives him to Silent McBadass, Weasel's heart grows 3 sizes that day and saves Group, Crybaby-monk shows up to save the day but gets mutilated by Angry Badass, Crybaby-monk, McGruff, Gaybot, Trashbot and Hotty Hotterson escape to plot revenge.

Episode VI: Crybaby-monk's testicles finally grew in, he and his friends team up to save Captain McAwesome from the Giant Goober, Giant Goober escapes with most of Crybaby-monk's friends including Hotty Hotterson at her hottest, fight breaks out and Giant Goobers dies while Silent McBadass falls into a pit, Crybaby-monk's friends all join up with the Rebel Mooks again to stop the Sphere of Doomtoo, Weasel takes Captain McAwesome's ship to fight the Sphere of Doomtoo in space, Captain McAwesome and Hotty Hotterson recruit some Merkin Mooks to take on Evil Mooks, Crybaby-monk fights Angry Badass while Evil Emperor taunts them both, Evil Emperor defeats Crybaby-monk but Angry Badass sacrifices himself to stop Evil Emperor, Merkin Mooks defeat Evil Mooks, and Weasel destroys the Sphere of Doomtoo.

Episode I: Something about pod racing and slavery and something? Also, there was Badass Supreme but for only like 30 seconds.

Episode II: Whiney McAngsty falls in love with a different Hotty Hotterson or something, or maybe the Supreme Evil tricks them into loving each other, somehow they end up in an arena or something like that. I honestly can't remember if there WAS a plot.

Episode III: There was some kind of fight in Lava World, but I can't remember how that fight started.

samtresler

Postby samtresler » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:27 am UTC

Am I the only one seeing the puddle as the Atari Space Invaders game? In the last panel it gets shot and turns fuzzy, like they did in that game. Clever, but I'm missing why that is relevant?

agelessdrifter

Postby agelessdrifter » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:32 am UTC

All three prequels were objectively terrible films. redlettermedia's review of the prequels on youtube is highly worth the watch, whether you liked the movies or not. I'd link them, but I dunno what the policy is on that, since I don't have that many posts. They're easy enough to find, though.

MathUhhhSaurus

Postby MathUhhhSaurus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:34 am UTC

soren121 wrote:For those confused:

They're in line waiting for the 3D re-release of The Phantom Menace...except that they're the only ones there, because everyone hates Phantom Menace.

Thanks...I was about to ask

Monotonius

Postby Monotonius » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:29 am UTC

The comic is good but I think more readers would have understood the joke if it had been uploaded in January (because the 3D re-release is in February 2012).

Also this is the famous review: http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/star ... om-menace/

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:44 am UTC

controversial opinion- Darth Maul is not badass.

No seriously he's not.

Think about the entire movie. The Jedi are on the ship, they're going to have a talk, talk doesn't happen, kill droids, go to planet, find underwater city, borrow submarine, travel through planet, get to royal palace, escape with queen, land on tatooine, find slave boy, podracing, go to republic, republic are assholes, go back to original planet, set up trap, fight droids, hunt down droid leader guy, slave boy accidentally steals a ship, darth maul shows up.

Think for one second.

Does Darth Maul actually... do anything? He kills Qui-Gon, but... was Qui-Gon even that necessary in the overall scheme of things? He hasn't really got his own personality, nothing he does is something that only he could do, so really, you could have cut him out of the movie entirely and had Obi-Wan do everything instead.

Vader was badass because he was always there, always threatening, and there was nothing that could stop him. He knew what he was doing and what he wanted and how he was going to get it and everything he did was important to the plot.

Maul is badass because... he has a doublesided lightsaber.
as in a special effect and some overly choerographed fighting...

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:58 am UTC

samtresler wrote:Am I the only one seeing the puddle as the Atari Space Invaders game? In the last panel it gets shot and turns fuzzy, like they did in that game. Clever, but I'm missing why that is relevant?

And if you look to the left of the panel, you can just see the gun turret of the lone defender of the planet that shoots the invader.

It'll be interesting to see if George Lucas has managed to make Phantom Menace worse by additional random and unnecessary changes to the film.
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

TimXCampbell

Postby TimXCampbell » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:21 am UTC

I remember enjoying Star Wars when it first came out. “Wow, look at those neat special effects,” I exclaimed, while repressing my annoyance that a highly sophisticated targeting computer wasn't as good as the hero's feeling that it's time to press the button ... NOW! I also overlooked the fact that the Death Star had a stupid design flaw, that the Storm Troopers couldn't shoot for crap, and that light sabers are a weapon as dangerous to the user as to the foe.

Nope, when it came to the first film, I was amazed by those special effects.

Since then, however, I have come to loathe Star Wars in every way, shape or form. Even in 3D.

Splarka

Postby Splarka » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:21 am UTC

The Moomin wrote:It'll be interesting to see if George Lucas has managed to make Phantom Menace worse by additional random and unnecessary changes to the film.

Obi-Wan shot first
HTTP/1.1 - 203

Invisiblemoose

Postby Invisiblemoose » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:00 am UTC

TimXCampbell wrote:I remember enjoying Star Wars when it first came out. “Wow, look at those neat special effects,” I exclaimed, while repressing my annoyance that a highly sophisticated targeting computer wasn't as good as the hero's feeling that it's time to press the button ...

Does Vader really have to strangle you with a force-choke to convince you that the Force is more than "feelings?"

erik65536

Postby erik65536 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:02 am UTC

My bet was on today's comic being about SOPA. I guess there have been a lot of file sharing comics though.

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:04 am UTC

TimXCampbell wrote:light sabers are a weapon as dangerous to the user as to the foe.

Hence why only Jedis are deemed skilled enough to use them without decapitating themselves.

Invertin wrote:Vader was badass because he was always there, always threatening, and there was nothing that could stop him. He knew what he was doing and what he wanted and how he was going to get it and everything he did was important to the plot.

Indeed, but surely there is no one that believes Maul is on the same badass level as Vader, is there??

Maul was merely an apprentice. He was badass enough to fight 2 jedis at once, so I guess that counts for something, but as you say, Qui-Gon ("where's the Gin") was pretty woeful and largely pointless, and Obi Wan is also an apprentice at this point.

Vader > Maul all the time, every time.

Although Maul is voiced by Peter Serafinowicz, so he gets bonus badass points for that. (But these are cancelled out by James Earl Jones' voice for Vader)

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:56 am UTC

I'm pretty proud of the fact that I was really looking forward to seeing TPM at the cinema when it came out as a 13yo boy, only to fall asleep halfway through. To this day, the only movie I have fallen asleep in the theatre during.

Catmando

Postby Catmando » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:23 am UTC

I don't know what's wrong with you guys—or Randall, for that matter. TPM was my favorite movie of the whole series. :(

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:36 am UTC

Maybe there's something wrong with you?

What I really hate about the new movies is how flashy and cool has the force become. In the original trilogy, it was dignified and almost intangible. It felt like some kind of wisdom. The most spectacular display of force was the "These aren't the droids you're looking for" part.

In the new trilogy, force is mostly used for acrobatics and throwing stuff around. I hate that.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:46 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:[plot summaries]

As hilarious as that was: for the love of god, learn to use a semicolon! The sheer number of comma splices (and worse still, ambiguously comma-spliced comma-delineated lists) is enough to turn me into Grammarnazi McCrybaby.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:52 am UTC

Catmando wrote:I don't know what's wrong with you guys—or Randall, for that matter. TPM was my favorite movie of the whole series. :(

The whole 6 movie series?

I can see that TPM isn't bad, there are good scenes, and good elements in the story, but it failed to capture the tone of the original trilogy, and that's why people resent it. It's also got too much politics and not enough likeable characters.

also I just realised that we are only 10 years from the moment when TPM will be as old as Star Wars was when TPM came out.
Last edited by AvatarIII on Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:15 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:54 am UTC

CorruptUser wrote:Funny plotlines.

Those were superb! The last three pretty much sum up my recollection of the new trilogy too (certainly II and III)

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:49 pm UTC

I watched the original trilogy when I was too young to really retain any of it. I remember the characters (except Boba Fett, oddly enough), and that Vader was Luke's father, and that lightsabers existed, and that there were space battles, and that Luke's saber was blue in Ep IV and V but green in VI.
I've since seen the original trilogy again a couple of times.
I watched Ep I when I was a kid, so I actually enjoyed it at the time. The first time I saw Ep II and III I thought the battles were cool but the Anakin+Padme scenes were garbage, which (having now seen all 6 movies at least 3 times each) I maintain are the worst part of the prequel trilogy. Jar-Jar doesn't improve anything, but he isn't as bad as people claim.

The prequel trilogy makes for better video games than movies. In fact, I think that's what's kept Star Wars alive since the end of the movies; the video games and the comic books, both of which are usually good.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:59 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:I watched the original trilogy when I was too young to really retain any of it. I remember the characters (except Boba Fett, oddly enough), and that Vader was Luke's father, and that lightsabers existed, and that there were space battles, and that Luke's saber was blue in Ep IV and V but green in VI.
I've since seen the original trilogy again a couple of times.
I watched Ep I when I was a kid, so I actually enjoyed it at the time. The first time I saw Ep II and III I thought the battles were cool but the Anakin+Padme scenes were garbage, which (having now seen all 6 movies at least 3 times each) I maintain are the worst part of the prequel trilogy. Jar-Jar doesn't improve anything, but he isn't as bad as people claim.

The prequel trilogy makes for better video games than movies. In fact, I think that's what's kept Star Wars alive since the end of the movies; the video games and the comic books, both of which are usually good.

Boba Fett is in the OT for all of 60 seconds, unsurprising you don't remember him.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:05 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:The prequel trilogy makes for better video games than movies. In fact, I think that's what's kept Star Wars alive since the end of the movies; the video games and the comic books, both of which are usually good.

You know, when watching Attack of the Clones, I had a feeling that most of the scenes were in it just so they could make a video game out of them.
Last edited by Klear on Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:07 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Sanjuricus

Postby Sanjuricus » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:25 pm UTC

I've always defended The Phantom Menace as the "scene setter" for the rest of the timeline and have excused its inclusion of whiney Anakin and unecessary JarJar...

...then I watched it the other night to appease my longing for early access to SWTOR...Oh me yarm it's pants! Very few scenes had me emotionally engaged with the plight of the characters, I skipped every scene with Jar Jar in it, the fights had way too much in the way of unnecessary maneuvers...the stupid Trade Federation leaders lips never matched what they were saying, Yoda was crap (in terms of puppetry realism)...the pod race was all kinds of implausible...etc etc
Mostly kind of almost...ish.

Dancinganimal256

Postby Dancinganimal256 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:28 pm UTC

Kinda surprised how no one has mentioned how this coincides with the release of Star Wars: The Old Republic; a new mmo that supposed to take place 3,500 years prior to the film series (the pre-release for those who pre-ordered was yesterday, the official is on the 20th). I had the privilege of trying out the beta just prior to release and it was awesome (played a bounty hunter mostly). However the fact that they are mashing together 3D and phantom is almost as depressing as playing Yoda on Soulcalibur.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:41 pm UTC

Invertin wrote:controversial opinion- Darth Maul is not badass.

No seriously he's not.

At least he has moves. Boba Fett is the most overrated villain of the series. The only thing he does is pretend to be garbage and track the Falcoln. He doesn't capture Solo, he doesn't manage to shoot anyone, and his most potentially awesome device -- his jetpack -- is used once, accidentally, and it kills him (EU notwithstanding).

The only reason people like him is they marketed the mail-order-only toy before the movie even came out.

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:02 pm UTC

Glad someone explained the comic, because I sure didn't get it. And I still don't think it's funny. Oh well, win some, lose some.
-----
dp2 wrote:

No seriously he's not.

At least he has moves. Boba Fett is the most overrated villain of the series.

Agreed that Boba Fett is highly overrated. I think both Fett and Maul suffer the same problem: Cool looking, high potential, complete failure on the part of the script to actually use that potential. Both get little screen time and have almost no effect on the plot. Maul at least kills Obi-Wan Squared, but the scene is so contrived it looses most of its impact.

dp2 wrote:The only reason people like [Boba Fett] is they marketed the mail-order-only toy before the movie even came out.

I suspect another reason Boba Fett got cult status (even before the prequels) is that he was like the secret handshake of Star Wars fandom. If you knew who Boba Fett was, you were a legit fan.
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

Postby AvatarIII » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:12 pm UTC

Dancinganimal256 wrote:However the fact that they are mashing together 3D and phantom is almost as depressing as playing Yoda on Soulcalibur.

i'd actually say TPM is the movie of the series, or certainly the Prequel Trilogy most suited to 3D, you have the Pod race, and the attack on the trade federation space stations.
Attack of the Clones has the Coruscant chase at the beginning, which will work well, but it also has a lot of wide shots which at best 3D will give depth to, and ROTS only really has the battle at the beginning and perhaps the Grievous chase which will suit the 3D conversion well.

BunsenH

Postby BunsenH » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:48 pm UTC

VLADIMIR: We're waiting for Lucas.
ESTRAGON: (despairingly). Ah! (Pause.) You're sure it was here?
VLADIMIR: What?
ESTRAGON: That we were to wait.

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:55 pm UTC

No seriously he's not.

He was pretty bad-ass popping up in Insidious. Lots of people screamed in the cinema.
I possibly don't pay enough attention to what's going on.
I help make architect's dreams flesh.

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:08 pm UTC

So was The Phantom Menace originally filmed in 3D (and they're just getting around to releasing it now), or is this one of those "go back and add in fake 3D stuff" type of things? I suppose so much of it that's going to be cool in 3D was computer generated (Pod Race, Space Battle, maybe the Gungan battle at the end) that it probably doesn't matter much.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

mythicfox

Postby mythicfox » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:17 pm UTC

Klear wrote:Maybe there's something wrong with you?

What I really hate about the new movies is how flashy and cool has the force become. In the original trilogy, it was dignified and almost intangible. It felt like some kind of wisdom. The most spectacular display of force was the "These aren't the droids you're looking for" part.

In the new trilogy, force is mostly used for acrobatics and throwing stuff around. I hate that.

Um, I seem to recall a fair bit of throwing things around in ESB and a good bit of Force lightning in RotJ.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:18 pm UTC

People ... screamed? While watching a Star Wars movie? oookaay.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”