1001: "AAAAAA"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jared the Great

1001: "AAAAAA"

Postby Jared the Great » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:13 am UTC

Alt Text: 'ARE YOU TURNED ON YET?' 'I DON'T THINK SO--ARE YOU?' 'MAYBE A LITTLE!' 'OKAY, 5 MORE MINUTES.'

I think they might've forgotten to carry a one when they calculated its maximum speed.
Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium
Spoiler:
Batman!

jpk

Re: 1001: "AAAAAA"

Postby jpk » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:15 am UTC

GBIMHR

VelociraptorEvader

Postby VelociraptorEvader » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:19 am UTC

Looks like fun. I wonder how long they could hang on for if they put it at full speed?!
Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

dbam987

Postby dbam987 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:20 am UTC

Awww, you beat me to posting this comic. I couldn't get the image to show correctly.

With that speed, they traveled back in time.

meat.paste

Postby meat.paste » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:21 am UTC

I really liked this one. The juxtaposition of the involved parties' naivete in how this was supposed to work with the intelligence of said same parties, evidenced by the technical prowess to put together a high speed bed rotation device, which would have to have some reasonable power behind it to handle the torque requirements, struck me as quite humorous.

Please forgive the verbiage. I've been reading the 2011 'winners' of the Bulwer-Lytton competition.
Huh? What?

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:25 am UTC

Yes, you really need to first talk with your partner before engaging in centrifugal force.

clever_username

Postby clever_username » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:29 am UTC

I'm probably completely wrong, but is this the first time these characters have been shown to have any kind of romantic relationship? I guess I just tend to focus on the personalities and didn't realize that there are real relationships. How do top hat guy and black hat guy fit in? I figured that it was just them not realizing the purpose of the bed, showing naivete, like the above poster, but the alt text is pretty overt.

muntoo

Postby muntoo » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:34 am UTC

Comic #1000, you mean. :P

lemmings

Postby lemmings » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:38 am UTC

clever_username wrote:I'm probably completely wrong, but is this the first time these characters have been shown to have any kind of romantic relationship? I guess I just tend to focus on the personalities and didn't realize that there are real relationships. How do top hat guy and black hat guy fit in? I figured that it was just them not realizing the purpose of the bed, showing naivete, like the above poster, but the alt text is pretty overt.

Their relationship was introduced a long time ago.
http://www.xkcd.com/162/
.... wait a minute, I think she's turned on by spinning!

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:47 am UTC

For SCIENCE!
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

clever_username

Postby clever_username » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:05 am UTC

lemmings wrote:
clever_username wrote:I'm probably completely wrong, but is this the first time these characters have been shown to have any kind of romantic relationship? I guess I just tend to focus on the personalities and didn't realize that there are real relationships. How do top hat guy and black hat guy fit in? I figured that it was just them not realizing the purpose of the bed, showing naivete, like the above poster, but the alt text is pretty overt.

Their relationship was introduced a long time ago.
http://www.xkcd.com/162/
.... wait a minute, I think she's turned on by spinning!

You're right, and it's been in a few more since then, now that I think about it. Still, though, for some reason I don't see them except as individuals. I guess this is what I get for staying up past my bedtime.

Bubble

Postby Bubble » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:19 am UTC

VVVVVV?

Taymon

Postby Taymon » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:24 am UTC

The funny thing is that this isn't even close to the highest-ranked comic title lexicographically.

Incidentally, I never interpreted the generic stick figure guy and girl as specific characters with any continuity from comic to comic; rather, I always figured they were just generic people (although I think the guy, in some respects, represents Randall himself). It doesn't much matter whether they're the same or not, and the relationship between them depends only on the needs of the comic. I think this is true for all the characters in the comic, except for a few (most notably Black Hat Guy) that have well-defined characterizations—and, of course, those representing specific people.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:32 am UTC

My first thought was that this was going to be a riff on VVVVVV...
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

DBPZ

Postby DBPZ » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:46 am UTC

Apparently they're weighted the same. The girl is too fat or the guy is too thin.

mbklein

Postby mbklein » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:49 am UTC

Their romantic relationship is well-documented above, but if you need proof of their sexual relationship, #940 leaves no room for doubt.

http://xkcd.com/940/

Fritzed

Postby Fritzed » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:28 am UTC

clever_username wrote:You're right, and it's been in a few more since then, now that I think about it. Still, though, for some reason I don't see them except as individuals. I guess this is what I get for staying up past my bedtime.

I know you've already been convinced, but 674 is what came to my mind.

Whys

Postby Whys » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:07 am UTC

The only benefit I see to a rotating bed is if you get on one, you're probably getting laid. Beyond that, I don't get it. Is spinning somehow better? Perhaps it's the fun-house aspect of it? So why not mirrors placed around the bed that make you look distorted in funny ways as well? How about a clown and circus animals?

Now a floating bed on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney Land... that makes sense. :)

Keiji

Postby Keiji » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:38 am UTC

The first two panels kinda look like they're falling off a cliff.

I wonder if that was intentional?

PowerJoe

Postby PowerJoe » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:43 am UTC

After I read the guy's sentence in panel 4, I thought "He hacked into the guy's mansion and increased the velocity of the bed, haha"
Only after I read the girl's response I understood the intended meaning.

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:06 am UTC

I wonder what the maximum comfortable rotations speed is on one of those things, 2rpm maybe?

My first thought was that it was going to be a play on Hex colour code, #AAAAAA being kind of middle grey, I wonder if the furniture in panel 3 is AAAAAA grey?

Splarka

Postby Splarka » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:29 am UTC

HTTP/1.1 - 203

libra

Postby libra » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:34 am UTC

Sorry. Train wreck of thought.

Lasrod

Postby Lasrod » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:46 am UTC

Earlier today:

Me: Haha, check out this xkcd... an rotating bed.

Collegue: You know, I bet it wouldn't be too hard to build one of those....

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:26 am UTC

Whys wrote:The only benefit I see to a rotating bed is if you get on one, you're probably getting laid. Beyond that, I don't get it. Is spinning somehow better? Perhaps it's the fun-house aspect of it? So why not mirrors placed around the bed that make you look distorted in funny ways as well? How about a clown and circus animals?

Now a floating bed on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at Disney Land... that makes sense. :)

I can see it being marketed as increasing intelligence by using centrifugal force to increase the flow of blood to the brain. Similar to the whole sleeping hanging from the ceiling thing.

Alternatively, you could sleep feet outwards to promote foot growth for clowns.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

drachel

Postby drachel » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:30 am UTC

DBPZ wrote:Apparently they're weighted the same. The girl is too fat or the guy is too thin.

I'm kind of disappointed. I mean, I know XKCD reader's aren't all going to hold some higher standard, but it's actually fairly rare to get posts like this and that's why I usually feel safe reading the forums without worrying I'll get too offended. I honestly don't know the overall statistics about the weight of the average man versus the average woman, but even assuming there's an average difference, I still find the idea that there are requirements about weight relative to each other extremely problematic.

There are two interpretations of what you said that I could think of. Either it's a comment about their relative weight, or it's attempting to hold up a standard of men and women's bodies and use the relative weight to judge whether they're conforming to it or not. The latter seems ill-thought-out to me - it can't account for people of different heights, builds or races (I know most male characters in XKCD are interpreted as being some way descriptive of Randall, and therefore probably not Japanese, but still), and even ignoring those factors, the idea of deciding what the ideal body shape is and judging people for not fitting it is presumptuous and troubling.

If it's not about absolute weight, but relative, I think my biggest problem with this is that any judgement about the "right" way round for anything in a heterosexual relationship makes me view it in a wider context of expected gender roles. Often, girls are "meant" to be petite relative to their men, and that's often bundled up with a whole bunch of other stuff about expected personality traits and roles within a relationship (for example, try replacing weight with salary, physical power or scientific understanding).

Now, I know your post was probably intended as light-hearted, and you weren't looking to move a debate in that direction, so this undoubtably seems like a complete overreaction. However, given the awful messages we are bombarded with about gender and body image, I bristle at any policing of bodies or relationships, and the fact it might be unintentional doesn't actually make it harmless. I can choose to make mis-configured rotating beds with whatever weight of girl I fall for, thank you very much.

Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:46 am UTC

The first time I read this I misinterpreted it ENTIRELY.
I thought they were having a Dragon Ball Z style battle, because making the bed pissed them off so much.

Needless to say, FAIL.
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

userxp

Postby userxp » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:54 am UTC

"AAAAAA"? AAAAAAA AA AA aaaa://aaaaaaaaaaaa.aaaaa.aaa/aaaa/AAAAAAAAA!
AAAAA AAAAA wrote:AAAAAAAAA!

AAAAAA(A): AAAAA AA AAA AA AAAAAA AAAAA AAAA AA. AAA AA AAAA AAAAAA A AAAAA AAAAA? :roll:
Spoiler:
AAA AAAAA A AAA :mrgreen:.

AAAAA AAAAA AAA AA AAAAAAA AAAA AAAAAA AAAAAA AAAAAAA

Aelfyre

Postby Aelfyre » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:11 pm UTC

DBPZ wrote:Apparently they're weighted the same. The girl is too fat or the guy is too thin.

No she's thin.. she'd just a bit... "top heavy" :)

in other news.. I found this one F'ing hillarious! Litterally LOLed :D
Xanthir wrote:To be fair, even perfectly friendly antimatter wildebeests are pretty deadly.

davidhbrown

Postby davidhbrown » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:39 pm UTC

libra wrote:...
Sorry. Train wreck of thought.

Well done :lol: I did have to go look at the video to make sure you hadn't 'shopped that "stalactite!" Apology accepted, tentatively, for juxtaposing the surprised Spock from, I think, a different episode.

musicgeek

Postby musicgeek » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:41 pm UTC

Gear ratios, people. It's all about the gear ratios.

What I loved about this one is that I couldn't make heads or tails of the artwork in the first three panels until reading the whole strip. To me, it was funnier to look back (especially at panels 1 and 2) and say, "Oh! Now I see it!" :lol:

javahead

Postby javahead » Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:49 pm UTC

Ok, seriously, in regards to the counter-weight arguments:

THEY'RE STICK FIGURES!

That is all.

Thank you.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:26 pm UTC

drachel wrote:

I'm kind of disappointed. I mean, I know XKCD reader's aren't all going to hold some higher standard, but it's actually fairly rare to get posts like this and that's why I usually feel safe reading the forums without worrying I'll get too offended. I honestly don't know the overall statistics about the weight of the average man versus the average woman, but even assuming there's an average difference, I still find the idea that there are requirements about weight relative to each other extremely problematic.

There are two interpretations of what you said that I could think of. Either it's a comment about their relative weight, or it's attempting to hold up a standard of men and women's bodies and use the relative weight to judge whether they're conforming to it or not. The latter seems ill-thought-out to me - it can't account for people of different heights, builds or races (I know most male characters in XKCD are interpreted as being some way descriptive of Randall, and therefore probably not Japanese, but still), and even ignoring those factors, the idea of deciding what the ideal body shape is and judging people for not fitting it is presumptuous and troubling.

If it's not about absolute weight, but relative, I think my biggest problem with this is that any judgement about the "right" way round for anything in a heterosexual relationship makes me view it in a wider context of expected gender roles. Often, girls are "meant" to be petite relative to their men, and that's often bundled up with a whole bunch of other stuff about expected personality traits and roles within a relationship (for example, try replacing weight with salary, physical power or scientific understanding).

Now, I know your post was probably intended as light-hearted, and you weren't looking to move a debate in that direction, so this undoubtably seems like a complete overreaction. However, given the awful messages we are bombarded with about gender and body image, I bristle at any policing of bodies or relationships, and the fact it might be unintentional doesn't actually make it harmless. I can choose to make mis-configured rotating beds with whatever weight of girl I fall for, thank you very much.

Or you could be less uptight and take it to mean "too fat/thin for the spinning bed to work properly".

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:57 pm UTC

I'm usually not as easily offended as some of the people on this forum, but I'm going with Drachel on this one. Because a girl and a guy weigh the same, the girl is too fat or the guy is too skinny?
-Adam

CanadianNomad

Postby CanadianNomad » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

drachel wrote:

Wow, overreaction much? They are both just holding onto the bed-sheet. They *have* to be almost equal weight or they would both fly off in a twirly mess. And that is exactly the type of observation I would expect from XKCD forum posters. I doubt the OP was referring to anything you just brought up, just pure 'simple' mechanics.

tippe

Postby tippe » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:17 pm UTC

javahead wrote:Ok, seriously, in regards to the counter-weight arguments:

THEY'RE STICK FIGURES!

What are you saying?? That quasi-two-dimensional figures can't have any mass?? You three-dimensional bigot, you!

Totally aside: where do you buy sheets for a circular bed?

babble

Postby babble » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:46 pm UTC

oh nonsense. there'd be no need to mention 'too fat 'or 'too thin' if that was all it was. Just saying 'guess they're both the same weight' would do, wouldn't it? And the whole point is about the stuff that's implicit in throwaway comments.

drachel

Postby drachel » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:59 pm UTC

CanadianNomad wrote:They *have* to be almost equal weight or they would both fly off in a twirly mess. And that is exactly the type of observation I would expect from XKCD forum posters. I doubt the OP was referring to anything you just brought up, just pure 'simple' mechanics.
dp2 wrote:Or you could be less uptight and take it to mean "too fat/thin for the spinning bed to work properly".

The fact that someone thought about the mechanics of it and figured out that they must be equal weight because they're balanced is absolutely fine. So far, so geeky. My problem was that "they must be equal weight" was followed up by saying that them being the same weight was somehow wrong.

Adam H and babble: thanks - I know my post was a bit of a screed, and I'm glad someone got what I was trying to say.
Last edited by drachel on Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:08 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:00 pm UTC

Whys wrote:The only benefit I see to a rotating bed is if you get on one, you're probably getting laid. Beyond that, I don't get it. Is spinning somehow better? Perhaps it's the fun-house aspect of it? So why not mirrors placed around the bed that make you look distorted in funny ways as well? How about a clown and circus animals?

Well, once you've got that penthouse overlooking Central Park West with the master bedroom on its own level w/ 360deg view, you can see why you need the bed to rotate.
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

buddy431

Postby buddy431 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:05 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:

I can see it being marketed as increasing intelligence by using centrifugal force to increase the flow of blood to the brain. Similar to the whole sleeping hanging from the ceiling thing.

Alternatively, you could sleep feet outwards to promote foot growth for clowns.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3396372

Edit: This isn't quite the same thing as depicted here. Near as I can tell, they basically have a bed that rocks back and forth to help prevent fluid from clogging up people's lungs.
Gellert1984 wrote:Also, bomb president CIA al qaeda JFK twin towers jupiter moon martians [s]emtex.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”