1008: “Suckville”

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

Re: 1008: “Suckville”

Postby A_of_s_t » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:34 am UTC

WolfieMario wrote:
Eutychus wrote:The girl in panel 3 has an unsettlingly large number of limbs. Does this game temporarily turn players into spiders?

Oh god, thank you for pointing that out :shock:
I now had an excuse to finally do something surreal after over a semester.

It's sad that this comic is not only funny, but makes much more sense then the horrible comic Randall gave us.
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:
A_of_s_t

Postby Sulayman-F » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:13 am UTC

As someone who had to crawl through census data and MSAs, this comic amuses me more than average.
Sulayman-F

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:19 am UTC

On the subject of what the card game is, looks like two-player Solitaire.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."
SpringLoaded12

Postby VectorZero » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:07 am UTC

WolfieMario wrote:
Eutychus wrote:The girl in panel 3 has an unsettlingly large number of limbs. Does this game temporarily turn players into spiders?

Oh god, thank you for pointing that out :shock:
I now had an excuse to finally do something surreal after over a semester.

Well played. An Internet for you, good sir.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.
VectorZero

Postby Eternal Density » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:31 am UTC

Welcome to Suckville, population: comic 1008 and several others.
ImagePlay the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?

GAZEBO OINTMENT HARPSICHORD CREDENZA BUNGALOW
Eternal Density

Postby neoliminal » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:27 pm UTC

1. The game is clearly 1000 Blank White Cards.

2. Hell, Michigan has one of the best Paintball fields in the country. I was on the pro team there for a number of years.

3. I didn't notice the limbs, but WolfieMario totally wins for his modification.
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/214255
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]
neoliminal

Postby dbam987 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:43 pm UTC

So Detroit not only gets a shout out during the State of the Union addy, it gets an honorable mention on XKCD!
dbam987

Postby Fire Brns » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:40 pm UTC

Detroit you had your chance, now shut up. :P

Is it just me or was the picture a bit blurrier like an old comic that was archived for later use?
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.
Fire Brns

Postby Cousj001 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:31 pm UTC

WolfieMario wrote:Image

What's the alt-text?

Lots of talk of Detroit in this thread. If you want a British equivalent, look no further than Stoke-on-Trent, although if you do look, you'll probably wish you didn't.
Magic is real, unless declared integer.
Cousj001

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:10 pm UTC

Cousj001 wrote:What's the alt-text?

Probably something about where the Spider-God's laptop went. It's missing from the last panel.

Honestly, I'd expected SirMustapha to have pointed that out by now. 'Just sloppy work. Like Detroit.
EpicanicusStrikes
Random Boners = True Attraction

Postby alaffin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:19 pm UTC

glibdud wrote:
radtea wrote:
thesingingaccountant wrote:Pretty much what one might expect to find in Hell. Paradise, MI is much nicer. :-)

A friend once had dinner in Intercourse, PA. He mentioned this to his father, who said, "Now you need to find a town called Dinner..."

But what's Intercourse without Climax (, MI)?

Is this where I make a comment about Dildo (NL, Canada) being just across the bay from Spread Eagle (NL, Canada). It's also very close (just a run across the Barrens) from Conception Bay (NL, Canada).
alaffin

Postby SirMustapha » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:47 pm UTC

EpicanicusStrikes wrote:Probably something about where the Spider-God's laptop went. It's missing from the last panel.

Honestly, I'd expected SirMustapha to have pointed that out by now. 'Just sloppy work. Like Detroit.

Eh. Compared to the egregious Spider-Limbs and the non-existent joke, the laptop is nothing, and those two have already been mentioned. I am aggressive but not redundant. Not that much.
SirMustapha

Postby W3ird_N3rd » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:26 am UTC

imgx64 wrote:I actually searched the census website, and discovered that there is an actual town called Saukville in Wisconsin. Unfortunately, it had a population of 4,068 in 2000, so it's probably a different town.

There is a Sackville in Canada (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sackville,_New_Brunswick). It's population was 5,411 in 2006 so this might be the town. Although I would guess this is where people go who are sacked.

Then again, getting sacked sucks.
Personman wrote:Oh my god I totally didn't even notice the legs at first. There's no way those are shadows, there are no shadows of anything else in that or any other panel... maybe Randall will fix it? Or maybe it's part of some multi-comic series of oddities that, when taken together, form a clue to the XCKD Metapuzzle?

Perhaps she's trolling in some way? (although in that case it should be her arms..)
radtea wrote:
thesingingaccountant wrote:Pretty much what one might expect to find in Hell. Paradise, MI is much nicer. :-)

A friend once had dinner in Intercourse, PA. He mentioned this to his father, who said, "Now you need to find a town called Dinner..."

It can perhaps be found next to America.

Which is a village in The Netherlands. (ya rly: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/America,_Limburg)

(now go figure how many Dutch kids got disappointed when daddy said they were going on vacation to America..)

@WolfieMario: Ha!
W3ird_N3rd

Postby freakish777 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:26 am UTC

Suckville?

Really?

IT GODDAMN FROWN TOWN!

YOU SAY IT WHEN YOU MAKE A REALLY GOOD PLAY AND RUIN YOUR OPPONENTS DAY!

"Frown Town, Population You."

("Someone's on the train to Frown Town..." is also acceptible)
freakish777

Postby WolfieMario » Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:40 am UTC

EpicanicusStrikes wrote:
Cousj001 wrote:What's the alt-text?

Probably something about where the Spider-God's laptop went. It's missing from the last panel.

Funny thing is, as I was making that, I thought to myself "you know, it would be ironic if I forgot to add the laptop in the last panel. I'd better remember to add it."

I only noticed I forgot it today, sometime before your post. I was actually toying around with having the alt-text explain everything's a holographic projection by the laptop (which thus uses sci-fi magic to cloak itself), or that the man was actually hallucinating from LSD-laced cards and imagined everything behind the girl (laptop included) replaced with the cultist mutants. Or perhaps a combination of those theories - that the girl was annoyed at the guy's lame comeback, and turned around to actually run a program which uses some technology to manipulate the guy's brainwaves and cause the vivid hallucinations. Of course, cerebral implants would be needed for the girl's perception to remain unaffected.

Sadly, the more interesting explanations seem too verbose for an alt-text. My post in the xkcdsw thread simply used the alt-text to explain that the girl in the 3rd panel wasn't edited - which I thought would be important for understanding the joke once it's added to Nazar's archive.

Speaking of which, what's Nazar's name on this forum?
"Sometimes game development isn't about doing what is nice to everyone all the time." - Jens Bergensten
WolfieMario

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:06 am UTC

Suckville? better than "Dullsville."
Quicksilver

Postby jsquared » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:27 pm UTC

From Detroit, I can tell you exactly where Sucksville is. Plus, that red train at the airport, that's not the people mover.
jsquared

Postby tallshipper » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:33 pm UTC

Oh come on, folks. Do your homework. This Will be on the quiz.
Go the the following Google Maps sites:

Suck, Roscommon, Ireland

Suck Mountain, Peaks, VA
Suck Mountain, Big Rock, AR
{Cue Neil Young: 'Oh to live on ...}

Suckfield, Ireland
Sucker Creek 150A, Division No. 17, AB, Canada

And:
Loser - Altaussee, Lichtersberg, Altaussee, Austria
Bummerville, CA
etc.
tallshipper

Postby Ephemeron » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:15 am UTC

WolfieMario wrote:Speaking of which, what's Nazar's name on this forum?

It's Two9A. He hasn't posted in over a year though.
Ephemeron

Postby drstilldc » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

My best friend is like this all the time!
drstilldc

Previous

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads