1010: "Etymology-Man"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Jared the Great

1010: "Etymology-Man"

Postby Jared the Great » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:06 am UTC

Title Text: "'I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish Aquaman were here instead--HE'D be able to help.'"

Hey, the wave should've covered them completely, not gone to their knees.
Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium
Spoiler:
Batman!

poxic
Eloquently Prismatic

Re: 1010: "Etymology-Man"

Postby poxic » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:08 am UTC

Depends on where you are when the wave hits.

Also: heh.
All empires fall.
Don't look back.
- The Secret Knots

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:12 am UTC

Personally, I'm more impressed by Etymology-Man's esoteric reference expertise than his humdrum ability to fly.

Alsadius

Postby Alsadius » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:14 am UTC

That is a surprisingly good point.

(Also, why do you assume he can fly? I just figured he jumped through a conveniently placed window)

Sean Quixote

Postby Sean Quixote » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:17 am UTC

Then there should have been glass shards, or something... Maybe they're in Japan and he just crashed through a paper wall, that would actually seem kind of morbidly appropriate.

Also, this should be a new character. Totally.

Richard.

Postby Richard. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:19 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:Personally, I'm more impressed by Etymology-Man's esoteric reference expertise than his humdrum ability to fly.

He doesn't fly. He has no ability to fly. He just falls elegantly.

Also, is this the first xkcd character to have a "full" body structure, like more than just a line?
we live in a beautiful world.

Spoiler:

ygp

Postby ygp » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:26 am UTC

Richard. wrote:Also, is this the first xkcd character to have a "full" body structure, like more than just a line?

Isn't that just his cape?

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:33 am UTC

This made me grin widely. Or in the local vernacular, the cheese is starting to drip.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Richard.

Postby Richard. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:36 am UTC

ygp wrote:
Richard. wrote:Also, is this the first xkcd character to have a "full" body structure, like more than just a line?

Isn't that just his cape?

Looking at the 4th panel (the top row has 3 "panels") I simply thought he was drawn with a large chest, kind of sticking out all superhero-like. But I can see how that could be his cape and his body is hermitted inside. But that doesn't explain all the extra lines in the 5th panel, and why he is so thickly drawn in all panels afterward and the panel where he enters.
we live in a beautiful world.

Spoiler:

JetstreamGW

Postby JetstreamGW » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:46 am UTC

He's probably more thickly drawn because otherwise he doesn't stand out enough from his cape.

In the pictures of Doctrow (if I recall) his cape was red, so that problem wasn't ... a problem... But here the cape is just unfilled like everything else, so the thicker lines would serve to contrast.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:51 am UTC

This is probably my first real "GOOMHR", as over in another subforum here we've been debating the validity of these kinds of etymological arguments for the past few days now.

Regardless of the truth of Etymology-Man's claims, should they make any difference as to what Stick Guy and Stick Girl call large influxes water caused by earthquakes? A surprising number of people around here seem to think the answer is "no".

Also: of course he can fly. He has a cape. People with capes can fly. Don't you watch TV?
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Crosshair

Postby Crosshair » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:00 am UTC

Raise your hand if you have been in a situation where the proper solution to a problem was "Run like hell" and someone was wasting their breath about trivial details like the comic.

Mine was in an electronics room when a blackout hit. Several dozen alarms going off, I'm dropping everything and feeling my way for the door while another tech is wondering what the big deal is with me reacting to a blackout like that. He was completely oblivious to the fact that one of those alarms sounded suspiciously like the Inert Gas Fire Suppression System alarm and I could hear the ventilation shutters closing. I had no interest in sitting around to determine if it really was the FSS, all i knew was that if it was I had 30 seconds to get to the other side of the fire door. Turns out that the blackout had tripped the regular fire alarm, but thankfully not the inert gas system.

I wasn't gonna waste time arguing with him and I wasn't going back for him.

Harry Voyager

Postby Harry Voyager » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:06 am UTC

Actually only some tsunamis are like an inrushing tide.

The way they work is an event builds up a big stack of water that falls over. If the peak is falling towards you, you get the more commonly recorded outrush of water, followed by the wave, but if the crest falls away from you, you get the rapid tide effect, with no warning.

What is extra fun about tsunamis is that generating events can spawn other generating events in front of the main wave front. As I understand it, the shockwave travels considerably faster in rock, and can trigger other earthquakes capable of generating tsunamis forward of the wave. (I expect that they can generate them behind the main wave, but people generally don't care about tsunamis that arrive 30-40 minutes after the main pulse. It's only when you get one 30 minutes before the predicted impact that people have issues.)

popman

Postby popman » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:41 am UTC

Crosshair wrote:Raise your hand if you have been in a situation where the proper solution to a problem was "Run like hell" and someone was wasting their breath about trivial details like the comic.

Mine was in an electronics room when a blackout hit. Several dozen alarms going off, I'm dropping everything and feeling my way for the door while another tech is wondering what the big deal is with me reacting to a blackout like that. He was completely oblivious to the fact that one of those alarms sounded suspiciously like the Inert Gas Fire Suppression System alarm and I could hear the ventilation shutters closing. I had no interest in sitting around to determine if it really was the FSS, all i knew was that if it was I had 30 seconds to get to the other side of the fire door. Turns out that the blackout had tripped the regular fire alarm, but thankfully not the inert gas system.

I wasn't gonna waste time arguing with him and I wasn't going back for him.

what kind of electronics room?
it seems kind of strange there would be no backup lighting in an area with an inert gas fire system.

just as terribly thought out as carrying liquid nitrogen in an elevator. (if it spills it will evaporate, push all the oxygen to the top of the lift and kill everyone inside due to it being 270,000 times compressible and heavier than air.)
www.crashie8.com

SeaBeecb

Postby SeaBeecb » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:02 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:This is probably my first real "GOOMHR", as over in another subforum here we've been debating the validity of these kinds of etymological arguments for the past few days now.

My first thought when I read this: Etymology-Man is Pfhorrest! He has to be :wink:
Last edited by SeaBeecb on Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:11 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

myoilu

Postby myoilu » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:08 am UTC

Obviously etymology man can fly, as evidenced by the fact that he has an upward curving trajectory, only possible through flight.

sardia

Postby sardia » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:10 am UTC

I could see an inert gas suppression system in an electronics room, but when is there ever liquid nitrogen in an elevator?

Venetian Road

Postby Venetian Road » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:22 am UTC

myoilu wrote:Obviously etymology man can fly, as evidenced by the fact that he has an upward curving trajectory, only possible through flight.

Perhaps he is gliding, but has no inherent means of generating velocity sufficient to sustain lift. Vis a vis Buzz Lightyear, he is merely falling with style ;)

kopapheliac

Postby kopapheliac » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:22 am UTC

Now we just need a comic with Etymology-girl - aka - http://hotforwords.com/

It would be more or less what's shown here except it would take people longer to notice the incoming water.

Chrisfs

Postby Chrisfs » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:34 am UTC

The latest reboot of Aquaman is really quite good. http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/new-52-aquaman/

troyp

Postby troyp » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:50 am UTC

Etymology Man's got it an interesting point and it seems to make sense, but I'm not entirely sure "tidal wave" doesn't/didn't refer to a tidal bore. It may have been that accounts of the two phenomena (one that is a wave caused by the tide and one that is a wave *like* a tide) got confused.

Also, tidal bores may not be cataclysmic, but they're supposed to be pretty impressive.

pbnjstowell

Postby pbnjstowell » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:54 am UTC

Dang.
I could see where I would end up being Etymology-Man. (Except the part where I'm a woman.)
But hopefully not during a tsunami/tidal wave/influx of water.

Also, it's the shadowy innards of his cape.

Also also, liquid nitrogen being taken to a different floor in the science building for a class demonstration?
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

mikekearn

Postby mikekearn » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:52 am UTC

The evil-mad-villain side of me kind of wants to rig some sort of contraption into an elevator to release liquid nitrogen during use, testing the hypothesis that it will indeed kill everyone inside.

The less-evil-but-still-quite-mad-villain side of me wants to scale back the test and use rats in boxes, because why spend the time and money on full scale if it won't even work?

Neither side of me has an opinion on tsunamis or tidal waves.
"I will not succumb to temptation. Unless she's cute."

This is a haiku.
It has correct number of
Syllables. I think.

Visit the orphateria.

xorsyst

Postby xorsyst » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:07 am UTC

pbnjstowell wrote:Also also, liquid nitrogen being taken to a different floor in the science building for a class demonstration?

Yep - the local university Physics building has a sign explicitly saying not to travel in the elevator with liquid nitrogen, but to send it up alone. They don't say why though - now I know!

Also - if the room is that dark, use your cell as a torch!

J L

Postby J L » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:09 am UTC

I must say that as members of a linguistic area suffering from a severe case of over-prescriptiveness, we really envy English speakers for their ability to make up words as they go along and call things whatever they like. I mean, you guys didn't even have a spelling reform in centuries. How cool is that?

icefest

Postby icefest » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:13 am UTC

Remember that until 2004, there weren't any clear photos or videos of tsunamis

Is that really true? It seems like such a short time ago...

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:21 am UTC

One more character to add to the roster of the xkcd League, Sagan Man, Man-dressed-like-a-bat, and now Etymology Man!

gormster

Postby gormster » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:24 am UTC

icefest wrote:

Not of them actually happening. Remember, you have almost no forewarning of a tsunami, and before 2004 not everyone was walking around with a camcorder in their pocket. And even still, it has to happen in a reasonably affluent area where lots of people have expensive cell phones.
Eddie Izzard wrote:And poetry! Poetry is a lot like music, only less notes and more words.

simonh

Postby simonh » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:41 am UTC

kopapheliac wrote:Now we just need a comic with Etymology-girl - aka - http://hotforwords.com/

Or even Grammarlad.

Is the whole strip really just a 'tidal bore' joke, or is it just me?

musashi1600

Postby musashi1600 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:53 am UTC

gormster wrote:
icefest wrote:

Not of them actually happening. Remember, you have almost no forewarning of a tsunami, and before 2004 not everyone was walking around with a camcorder in their pocket. And even still, it has to happen in a reasonably affluent area where lots of people have expensive cell phones.

Until 2004, the only video images of an incoming tsunami were those included in this video, of the 1946 Aleutian Islands tsunami that destroyed most of Hilo, Hawaii. (Disregard the music.)
It's Bicycle Repair Man!

plasticup

Postby plasticup » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:03 am UTC

I hope we see more of this guy.

Chillibyte

Postby Chillibyte » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:01 am UTC

Finally! Comic number 10!

Greyjoy

Postby Greyjoy » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:11 am UTC

Chillibyte wrote:Finally! Comic number 10!

You're off by 1000

Meteoric

Postby Meteoric » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:20 am UTC

Greyjoy wrote:
Chillibyte wrote:Finally! Comic number 10!

You're off by 1000

Not in base 1010. What would you call that, millidecimal?

I must admit, Etymology-Man's exploration of the topic made me forget there was a tsunami coming as well (I actually had to look back at the first panel to figure out why there was water in the sixth), so I can't really fault the characters for doing the same.
No, even in theory, you cannot build a rocket more massive than the visible universe.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:52 am UTC

SeaBeecb wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:This is probably my first real "GOOMHR", as over in another subforum here we've been debating the validity of these kinds of etymological arguments for the past few days now.

My first thought when I read this: Etymology-Man is Pfhorrest! He has to be :wink:

I concur :)
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Aikanaro

Postby Aikanaro » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:57 am UTC

In defense of Aquaman, and why he isn't quite as pathetic as everyone seems to think:
Spoiler:
"Command the creatures of the deep" doesn't seem so dumb now, huh?
Dear xkcd,

On behalf of my religion, I'm sorry so many of us do dumb shit. Please forgive us.

Love, Aikanaro.

Kit.

Postby Kit. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:04 pm UTC

OK, so... should we add xkcd to the list of comics for the Soft Water trope?

DragonHawk

Postby DragonHawk » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:14 pm UTC

IMNSHO: Comic was crap. Title text was laugh-out-loud funny.
-----
Crosshair wrote:Raise your hand if you have been in a situation where the proper solution to a problem was "Run like hell" and someone was wasting their breath about trivial details like the comic.
... another tech is wondering what the big deal is with me reacting to a blackout like that.

Well, in fairness, "Why are you evacuating? What's the danger?" isn't really a trivial detail. But yah, if alarms are going off and people are running, maybe run first and find out why later.

Like the T-shirt: "I'm on the bomb squad. If you see me running, try to keep up."
Ben'); DROP TABLE Users;--

GENERATION 42: The first time you see this, copy it into yοur sig on any forum and stick a fork in yοur еyе. Social experiment.

Meteoric

Postby Meteoric » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:21 pm UTC

Kit. wrote:OK, so... should we add xkcd to the list of comics for the Soft Water trope?

I don't see why, since that trope is about falling into water...? Are you saying they should have been swept away by the tide? Maybe Etymology-Man's powers include holding his victims in place. Actually, that might make sense, maybe he's a supervillain - they seemed awfully shocked/alarmed when he showed up in panel three.
No, even in theory, you cannot build a rocket more massive than the visible universe.

Ideas sleep furiously.

Postby Ideas sleep furiously. » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:33 pm UTC

Jared the Great wrote:Title Text: "'I can't believe I'm saying this, but I wish Aquaman were here instead--HE'D be able to help.'"

For once! BURN!
The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe. If you try it, you will be lonely often, and sometimes frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”