1013: "Wake Up Sheeple"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

teryret

Re: 1013: "Wake Up Sheeple"

Postby teryret » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:15 pm UTC

Ok, now, get back underground! Sheeple, Sheeple, this way, yes, that'll do, right back into the hole from whence you came, atta boy!

webdude

Postby webdude » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:32 pm UTC

PolakoVoador wrote:Or, as I mentioned, English is not the language of my country (which happens to be Brazil, by the way).

Reading xkcd warps my mind. Or my warped mind leads me to read xkcd.

First thing that popped to my warped mind when I read "Brazil" was "Lucky bastard. Carnival's almost here - beautiful Brazilian bikini babes everywhere!"

Then I thought, "Bass Turds." Bullhorn guy repeatedly yells "bastards" at Wall Street types, drawing out the word so it sounds like "Bass Turds." Suddenly, from rivers, streams, lakes and oceans, billions and billions of Bass Turds arise, and...
Last edited by webdude on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:53 pm UTC, edited 3 times in total.

Adam H

Postby Adam H » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:34 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:And, no matter what, a stick figure going "oh god oh god oh god" just CAN'T be funny. It's impossible.
I laughed at this mental picture. Maybe I have a bad sense of humor.

Just sayin.
-Adam

dp2

Postby dp2 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:42 pm UTC

SHISHKABOB wrote:Modern American English and Modern British English are entirely independent from one another. Modern American English at its roots stems from Early Modern English, which you will find is not the exact same thing as British English, and especially not the same as Modern British English.

British Modern English has seen some changes, but it's getting better. All the time.

Ronsonic

Postby Ronsonic » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:49 pm UTC

I love the word "Sheeple."

It saves me so much time, because the moment I hear it I know I am safe in not listening further.

Libertarians are generally the worst abusers of it (there is no distinction between use and abuse with this one) but I've heard it from all the other irrelevant factions as well.

chrth

Postby chrth » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:51 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:British Modern English has seen some changes, but it's getting better. All the time.

It can't get no worse?

I used to get mad at my school
the teachers who taught me weren't cool
they're holding me down
draggin' me 'round
filling me up with their rules

Huh ... that's a limerick!

*Apologies if I got any of the lyrics wrong, my hearing isn't the best

rahart999

Postby rahart999 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:23 pm UTC

SHISHKABOB wrote:
But here we use Internet English.

Google search:

judgment 35,600,000 hits
judgement 78,900,000 hits

People do it both ways, to the point that Google doesn't suggest one when you enter the other. Both spellings are acceptable for Internet English.

Inspired by your novel idea of polling Google to decide the appropriate spellings of words online, I have decided to finally stop typing out the words "you," "your," and "are."

U haev savd me a gr8 deel f tym. ty.

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:31 pm UTC

addams

Postby addams » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:31 pm UTC

MattTheTubaGuy wrote:
jalohones wrote:
orangustang wrote:This should be a movie.

Something like it already is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Sheep_%282007_film%29

Knew someone would post that!
trailer
Great movie, quite weird though!

What a fun movie to make! That had to be a ton of fun.
It could make for some interesting therapy sessions for the children.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

project2051

Postby project2051 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:45 pm UTC

teryret wrote:Ok, now, get back underground! Sheeple, Sheeple, this way, yes, that'll do, right back into the hole from whence you came, atta boy!

Release the Border Collies!

Idhan

Postby Idhan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

Incidentally, I'm a little disappointed that in the comic's eye close-up, the sheep's pupil is portrayed in the comic is circular, like a human pupil. If it were shaped like a real sheep's pupil (i.e., a kind of horizontal rectangle), that would have made the scene creepier and neater from an ovine anatomy perspective. (Although I suppose you could say there's no particular reason for sheeple (i.e., demonic, anthropomorphic sheep) to have sheep eyes rather than human eyes, if they're going to walk on two legs, etc.)

wst

Postby wst » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:27 pm UTC

Conditions underground have distorted the Sheeple eyeball. It's only just arisen, so it'll take a few hours for the thing to build up full humourous pressure (unlike me, I laughed almost immediately) and get its normal eye-shape back.

You have your greatest chance of defeating the Sheeple, should you desire to, in the first 5 hours after rebirth, by the way, unless they have someone down there that can whip them up some glasses.
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

chrth

Postby chrth » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:35 pm UTC

Regarding the last panel:

Like others, I originally thought it was overdone. But then I re-read it; I think we missed the joke in it.

The 5th panel isn't explaining the previous four panels. The 5th panel is revealing that everybody else in the group already knew about the Sheeple. Still not done perfectly, mind you, but that's what the point of it was.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:48 pm UTC

J Thomas wrote:But here we use Internet English.

Google search:

judgment 35,600,000 hits

People do it both ways, to the point that Google doesn't suggest one when you enter the other. Both spellings are acceptable for Internet English.

Cut to Shawn Spencer: "I've heard it both ways."
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

webdude

Postby webdude » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:49 pm UTC

chrth wrote:
dp2 wrote:British Modern English has seen some changes, but it's getting better. All the time.

It can't get no worse?

I used to get mad at my school
the teachers who taught me weren't cool
they're holding me down
draggin' me 'round
filling me up with their rules

Huh ... that's a limerick!

The pedants have been arguing about English. Limerick is Irish. My niece attended their university last year as an exchange student. Very disappointing. She didn't spend her time learning limericks - at least none that she'd admit to. ;)

chrth

Postby chrth » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:55 pm UTC

You know something, I've completely confused myself with this post. I apologize to anybody who read it.

atomicdave

Postby atomicdave » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:57 pm UTC

Signed up here just to say that I think Randall has just invented the greatest Catan expansion ever.

pyroja

Postby pyroja » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:03 pm UTC

This one seemed very PBFish.

But I liked it, last panel and all.

Bah to those who claim xkcd has not been funny, bah I say!
For in my eyes, xkcd has been funny every day.

enumerated powers

Postby enumerated powers » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:13 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:...
Babble, get out of my head! I was TOTALLY going to say that.

Well, Sir "Uniqua" Mustapha is not entirely a Grinch, or Oscar the Grouch, after all (to mix children's television metaphors)...

He gives props to somebody else for causing him a GOOMHFT* moment even though he usually has nothing good to say about the comics or other people's posts.

I sometimes wonder why he keeps coming back if he dislikes it all so much.

* 'Get Out Of My Head Fellow Troll'

dp2

Postby dp2 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:04 am UTC

enumerated powers wrote:

Well, Sir "Uniqua" Mustapha is not entirely a Grinch, or Oscar the Grouch, after all (to mix children's television metaphors)...

He is also not entirely Uniqua -- he's Austin.

Yeah, I have kids.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:09 am UTC

silkox wrote:Would be even more effective if the sheeple's pupil was anatomically correct in the form of an actual sheep pupil:Image

Hey! It's a stick-man comic. There are very few anatomically correct things here. Get over it.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Cyberchihuahua

Postby Cyberchihuahua » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:09 am UTC

Oh No! Hes summoned Eldest Gruff!

Randomness

Postby Randomness » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:31 am UTC

Is any one else now nervous about handkerchiefs?

lsdigit

Postby lsdigit » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:09 am UTC

bmonk wrote:Hey! It's a stick-man comic. There are very few anatomically correct things here. Get over it.

From what I remember being too precise with anatomy can get people riled right up.

but it struck me as being incorrect immediately, sure a 10000 year old sheeple demon gets by just fine, but then my hair trigger S.O.D. gets all weepy over an eyeball. So now I am like, S.O.D. it's time to HTFU. (this advice is free to take for your own S.O.D anytime you like)
J.G.Frazer wrote:"The danger, however, is not less real because it is imaginary; imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid." ('The Golden Bough')

dean.menezes

Postby dean.menezes » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:55 am UTC

Randall: Tu vois bien... ce n'est pas un mouton, c'est un bélier. Il a des cornes...

The XKCD readers have been deceived. WAKE UP SHEEPLE!

Sir_Read-a-Lot

Postby Sir_Read-a-Lot » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:04 am UTC

Fortunately, these Sheeple turned out to be of the fainting goat variety.

(Yes, I know that goats aren't sheep. But these are 10,000 year old Sheeple. They don't know the difference)

Also, I found an interesting item to add to the "judgement"/"judgment" conversation. Don't ask me what it means, but I found it interesting.

MisterCheif

Postby MisterCheif » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:43 am UTC

Sir_Read-a-Lot wrote:Also, I found an interesting item to add to the "judgement"/"judgment" conversation. Don't ask me what it means, but I found it interesting.

Hmm. And if you look at both the American and British English graphs, it seems that while Judgement briefly overcame Judgment in the early nineties in British English, but Judgment has been rising again in the past decade, faster than Judgement is.
In American English however, Judgement has stayed at a surprisingly constant level, with Judgment steadily falling after a sharp drop in the 1840s and 50s...
Interesting...

Also, project2051, I can't tell if your post is a sarcastic response to my joking post (hence wink), or a serious response. We really needed to either all use sarcasm tags, or adopt a smiley specifically for sarcasm/joking/nonserious (like how the EAUK battlefield forums use a smiley with a cup of tea).
I can haz people?
lulzfish wrote:Exactly. Playing God is a good, old-fashioned American tradition. And you wouldn't want to ruin tradition. Unless you hate America. And that would make you a Communist.

Retsam

Postby Retsam » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:02 am UTC

Edit: Missed the person above me pointing out the same thing; whoops. I was scanning the comments for replies to this thread but they didn't quote. My bad.

SirMustapha wrote:
chenille wrote:In defense of the last panel, it's not there for explanation, it's there to complete the rhythm. It could have just been the guy staring, maybe, but it needs to be there as part of what makes this comic excellent.

There must be at least one hundred ways to finish the comic in a better tone -- such as a "panoramic" shot of the Sheeple terrorizing people, or destroying the city. The panel, as it is, is too bland and wordy to "leave things to the imagination", if that was the intention. And, no matter what, a stick figure going "oh god oh god oh god" just CAN'T be funny. It's impossible.

After thinking about it, I disagree. The last panel is actually quite important to the comic for a better reason than the "rhythm".
The joke of the last panel is that it's only megahorn guy who doesn't get it. The woman next to him, the people in the background all act as if this is natural. It's not just a stick figure yelling "Oh god oh god oh god" it's the "Why did you do that!" part that's important, the idea that megahorn guy obviously should have known better, whereas his reaction is basically what ours would have been.
In short: the last panel establishes megahorn guy both as the Only Sane Man and the character the reader (in a small way) relates to.
Without the last panel, the comic is simply "weird", with it, the comic is "absurd". There's a difference, (look up absurdism and the "theater of the absurd") and I think it's better because of it.

So, yeah, I think there's justification behind the ending that was used. Perhaps there are other ways of conveying the same thing, but this one I think does the job alright. Again, I think you're a little quick to jump from comic analysis to criticism. The post wasn't simply "I would have preferred X ending" and then been open to a discussion, it was "The ending was bad, and this is why Randall needs an editor".

mschmidt62

Postby mschmidt62 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:25 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Oh, God, I can already see Wednesday's comic... Randall unites, in the same comic, Etymology Man and the Sheeple, and all xkcd fans worldwide will have hundreds of simultaneous orgasms until they burst into violent explosions of RANDALL IS SO AWESOME, and suddenly mankind has reached its peak.

Well, of course--Etymology Man swoops down, explains that "Sheeple" is simply a portmanteau (or malamanteau?) of sheep and people, thereby robbing the Sheeple of its power. Of course, if Entomology Man is summoned by mistake, all is lost.

SHISHKABOB

Postby SHISHKABOB » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:05 am UTC

J Thomas wrote:
SHISHKABOB wrote:....

Modern American English and Modern British English are entirely independent from one another. Modern American English at its roots stems from Early Modern English, which you will find is not the exact same thing as British English, and especially not the same as Modern British English.

and I'm even wrong, they're not "entirely independent from one another" because sheesh, we're in contact with each other all the time. Then you'd also have to say "what's American English? What's British English? Are there standardized forms? Does everyone agree with that form? Hmmmmmm ho hmmmmmm."

But here we use Internet English.

Google search:

judgment 35,600,000 hits

I never suggested otherwise. I would simply like to point out that it is preposterous to suggest that one is better than the other because the one "came from" the other, since the actual language from which Modern American English originated was also the language from which Modern British English originated.

having a sense of superiority in regards to language is simply ridiculous and bigoted

lsdigit

Postby lsdigit » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:14 am UTC

mschmidt62 wrote:
SirMustapha wrote:Oh, God, I can already see Wednesday's comic... Randall unites, in the same comic, Etymology Man and the Sheeple, and all xkcd fans worldwide will have hundreds of simultaneous orgasms until they burst into violent explosions of RANDALL IS SO AWESOME, and suddenly mankind has reached its peak.

Well, of course--Etymology Man swoops down, explains that "Sheeple" is simply a portmanteau (or malamanteau?) of sheep and people, thereby robbing the Sheeple of its power. Of course, if Entomology Man is summoned by mistake, all is lost.

I enjoy your jovial rejoinder to the faux-trolling from SirMustupha, the old "treat cynicism with cuddles" method is infinitely satifying to everyone involved, I mean, who does not want to cuddle that angry little critic, I do, anyhooo, the irony here is the comic is really analogous to Sirmustapha and the fora, it is pretty obvious to the causal observer but in case you missed it I will grind on and explain it anyway the explanation will take no where near as long

SirMustupha is the guy with the megaphone.
everyone else is represented by the lambasted consumers (mmm basted lamb, uh, anyway)
The sheeple represent the long dormant 'pure' xkcd humour that people know is buried in XKCD and it is a comic so evil, so geeky and so funny it will END THE WORLD.
probably.

and laughingly it is Sirmustupha who has brought this xkcdpocalypticgsm upon himself (oh and everyone else!)
people we had better stock up on tissues, there is going to be a LOT of moisture on wednesday.

I was wrong, it took pretty much about the same time. but it is the internet I am honour bound to lie or be incorrect. HONOUR BOUND.

also I malamanteaud too?
J.G.Frazer wrote:"The danger, however, is not less real because it is imaginary; imagination acts upon man as really as does gravitation, and may kill him as certainly as a dose of prussic acid." ('The Golden Bough')

NumberFourtyThree

Postby NumberFourtyThree » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:02 am UTC

hypersapien wrote:One thing bugs me, though. There weren't any sheep 10 thousand years ago, were there? There were wild goats that might have been in the process of being domesticated, and would eventually be bred into what we know as sheep today, right?

Sheep are not descended from goats. Their wild ancestor is something known as the mouflon, which is still living in parts of Iran and Iraq. Sheep are thought to have been domesticated between nine and eleven thousand years ago.
The world is imperfect because it has to be. If everything were perfectly fair and without problems we would all live the exact same pointless life, with no possible meaning to it.

Kisama

Postby Kisama » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:12 am UTC

rahart999 wrote:
J Thomas wrote:But here we use Internet English.

Google search:

judgment 35,600,000 hits

Inspired by your novel idea of polling Google to decide the appropriate spellings of words online, I have decided to finally stop typing out the words "you," "your," and "are."

U haev savd me a gr8 deel f tym. ty.

I think spelling "you" as "U" actually makes a lot of sense - it creates a pleasing symmetry with the word "I".

However, "U", "haev", "savd", "gr8", "deel", "f", "tym", "ty", "ur" and "r" do not give more Google results than "you", "have", "saved", "great", "deal", "of", "time", "thank you", "your" and "are", respectively. I don't approve of your implicit falsification of these research data.

Edit: Also, proper quote attribution.
Edit 2: Pedantry.
Last edited by Kisama on Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:22 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
cd880b726e0a0dbd4237f10d15da46f4

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:24 am UTC

Kisama wrote:I think spelling "you" as "U" actually makes a lot of sense - it creates a pleasing symmetry with the word "I".

Personally I am more fond of the phonetic symmetry between "you" (second person plural) and "we" (first person plural). From the "yy" to the "uu" in "you", the lips more forward and narrow as though gesturing at the second person; from the "ww" to the "ii" in "we" they reverse that motion, retracting and widening, as though gesturing at one's self and one's cohort.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Kisama

Postby Kisama » Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:32 am UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:
Kisama wrote:I think spelling "you" as "U" actually makes a lot of sense - it creates a pleasing symmetry with the word "I".

Personally I am more fond of the phonetic symmetry between "you" (second person plural) and "we" (first person plural). From the "yy" to the "uu" in "you", the lips more forward and narrow as though gesturing at the second person; from the "ww" to the "ii" in "we" they reverse that motion, retracting and widening, as though gesturing at one's self and one's cohort.
I had never thought about that...

(Intermission while I sit at my desk silently going "uuiiuuiiuuiiuuiiuuii"...)

Now I fear I shall feel self-conscious about my lips every time I say "you" or "we" :shock:
cd880b726e0a0dbd4237f10d15da46f4

mrm

Postby mrm » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:58 am UTC

Would the Sheeple be creepier with the creepy rectangular pupils (http://bit.ly/xMP80R) that actual sheep have?

Randomizer

Postby Randomizer » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:13 am UTC

hypersapien wrote:One thing bugs me, though. There weren't any sheep 10 thousand years ago, were there? There were wild goats that might have been in the process of being domesticated, and would eventually be bred into what we know as sheep today, right?

What? :shock: No! Goats didn't become domesticated into sheep, goats and sheep are two different species!

Here's some wild sheep for you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bighorn_sheep here's some domestic sheep: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep here's a wild goat: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_goat and here's some domestic goats: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goat
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.

niky

Postby niky » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:35 am UTC

Retsam wrote:The joke of the last panel is that it's only megahorn guy who doesn't get it. The woman next to him, the people in the background all act as if this is natural. It's not just a stick figure yelling "Oh god oh god oh god" it's the "Why did you do that!" part that's important, the idea that megahorn guy obviously should have known better, whereas his reaction is basically what ours would have been.
In short: the last panel establishes megahorn guy both as the Only Sane Man and the character the reader (in a small way) relates to.

I can't believe it took so long for someone to actually post this.

Sheep-like humans (seriously, the eyeballs are correct for hideously mutated homo sheepians), the end of the world? Sounds like last night's post-chili fries fever-dream*... Randall, get out of my head!

*Given that last night was kind of hazy, it might have actually been monster Chipotle...

SirMustapha

Postby SirMustapha » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:16 pm UTC

dp2 wrote:
enumerated powers wrote:

He is also not entirely Uniqua -- he's Austin.

Yeah, I have kids.

If the smarty-pants was trying to bait-and-switch me into a "LOL I TROL U" moment by deliberately getting the characters' names wrong, then it backfired beautifully. Otherwise, this goes to show the effect of Randall rarely ever bothering to get his facts straight before making an alleged joke.

Retsam wrote:The joke of the last panel is that it's only megahorn guy who doesn't get it. The woman next to him, the people in the background all act as if this is natural. It's not just a stick figure yelling "Oh god oh god oh god" it's the "Why did you do that!" part that's important, the idea that megahorn guy obviously should have known better, whereas his reaction is basically what ours would have been.

But it's a completely lame execution, besides of being a completely absurd anti-climax to, after a really cool representation of the "Sheeple" rising and a pretty neat close-up of its eye (RANDALL DREW AN EYE!!), write up some tiny lines of "dialogue" with lines pointing outwards. It's like the "Drama" comic in which Randall depicts the sudden, violent outburst of "drama" all over the place with an insipid graph. It is lame and inept, and honestly, it doesn't seem like that's the focus of the joke at all, with lines so vague like that ("All is lost"? Really?).

Retsam wrote:In short: the last panel establishes megahorn guy both as the Only Sane Man and the character the reader (in a small way) relates to.

No! Don't link to TV Tropes! That will cause a huge eruption of Cleverness By Golfing links with wacky titles pointing to Random Articles Of Awesome, and everyone will go Smash The Window With Your Face as the world turns to I Didn't Know Breathing Was An Option. Thanks to you, the Dirty Tampon Character will Step With Your Left Foot First Dammit and Bucket Of Paint On A Hospital Bed arrgh make it stop Lolworthy And Gravitalicious Chopin Was A Sysadmin Awkward Goatse Mother Moment

Retsam wrote:Without the last panel, the comic is simply "weird", with it, the comic is "absurd". There's a difference, (look up absurdism and the "theater of the absurd") and I think it's better because of it.

Yes, I've watched my tiny share of Ionesco and we read a bit about it on my theatre classes, and I think it's pretty fair to say that the execution can make, say, Rhinoceros range from genius to garbage. You may have a good joke in your hands, but if you don't deliver it well, you waste it.

babble

Postby babble » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:35 pm UTC

yeah. The guy being the only one who never heard of the sheep monster isn't funny. so the last panel is still pointless & distracting. waking the monster would be equally as funny without its existence being common knowledge. it's slightly lamer, in fact, if he is the only one who's never heard of it, because then we have to start wondering why on earth this would be.

also, such a shame that goatkcd isn't up for this one in particular.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”