1016: "Valentine Dilemma"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

1016: "Valentine Dilemma"

Postby Jared the Great » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:20 am UTC

Title Text: "The worst resolution to the Valentine Prisoner's Dilemma when YOU decide not to get your partner a present but your PARTNER decides to testify against you in the armed robbery case."

The jar of hammers actually seems kind of useful. Especially in the Valentine Prisoner's Dilemma.
Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium Sodium
Spoiler:
Batman!
Jared the Great

Re: 1016: "Valentine Dilemma"

Postby glasnt » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:31 am UTC

How faux pas. Giving easter candy in February is just promoting the corporations releasing all those egg-shaped treats as early as Boxing Day!

Also, <3.
glasnt

Postby JetstreamGW » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:37 am UTC

glasnt wrote:How faux pas. Giving easter candy in February is just promoting the corporations releasing all those egg-shaped treats as early as Boxing Day!

Also, <3.

The earlier and more frequently we get Cadburry Creme Eggs, the better it is for ALL THE WORLD.

Oh and Jared The Great? Your sig is the worst joke in the WORLD.
JetstreamGW

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:38 am UTC

Ironically, he sold his gold staple remover in order to buy the hammers.
rhomboidal

Postby ribbonsofnight » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:39 am UTC

If this scenario perfectly satisfies the conditions of the prisoners dilemma something is wrong with the relationship. I can agree (not in all cases) that viewed as a whole neither partner getting any sort of gift may be the best total net result but the other condition of the prisoners dilemma requires that given a specific choice by the partner you would prefer to have given a gift
i.e. if your partner didn't give a gift you would prefer to have given them a gift which presumably means you enjoy their discomfort

it's possible that I'm looking at this from the opposite way around but just as many inconsistencies come up that way too.

If you want to learn about game theory I've seen some quite interesting videos on youtube (by jimbobjenkins)Game theory 101: prisoners dilemma and stag hunt seem like the ones that match this scenario.

EDIT: before thinking through this a bit I did find the alt text quite amusing first
ribbonsofnight

Postby perakojot » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:43 am UTC

can't believe nobody posted this yet:

GOOMHR!
perakojot

Postby VectorZero » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:49 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:Ironically, he sold his gold staple remover in order to buy the hammers.

Well done
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.
VectorZero

Postby joee » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:51 am UTC

glasnt wrote:How faux pas. Giving easter candy in February is just promoting the corporations releasing all those egg-shaped treats as early as Boxing Day!

But maybe it'll make Bakers Delight release their choc chip hot cross buns earlier?
Hi glasnt.
joee

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:13 am UTC

The only winning move is not to play.
Quicksilver

Postby glasnt » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:17 am UTC

joee wrote:

But maybe it'll make Bakers Delight release their choc chip hot cross buns earlier?

Even if Creme Eggs and Choc Chip Hot Cross Buns are liked by people, they're seasonal items. Seasonal items should be available in the season. Otherwise, make them all the time. I get sad when I see eggs on Boxing Day, and Christmas Trees before Talk Like A Pirate Day.

*disclaimer: I don't like cremeeggs/hotcrossbuns, so I am not swayed by their deliciousness.

Hi joee.
glasnt

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:30 am UTC

This is me.

For Valentines Day. For anything. This is me.

I'm not likely to get my hand stapled to my face... but something of the equivalent.

Myself and others, when confronted with exchanging gifts on Christmas and Valentines Day, have been known to semi-contractually plan out our giftgiving in advance.

If I knew an XKCD reader, I'd get them Easter Candy and a Jar of Hammers.
Djehutynakht

Postby Steve the Pocket » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:36 am UTC

I'm sure someone will be in here shortly to criticize the use of "random humor", but I legitimately laughed at the punchline to this one.
cephalopod9 wrote:Only on Xkcd can you start a topic involving Hitler and people spend the better part of half a dozen pages arguing about the quality of Operating Systems.

Baige.
Steve the Pocket

Postby Arancaytar » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:55 am UTC

Jared the Great wrote:Title Text: "The worst resolution to the Valentine Prisoner's Dilemma when YOU decide not to get your partner a present but your PARTNER decides to testify against you in the armed robbery case."

That'd be a veritable Valentine's Day massacre.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.
Arancaytar

Postby from canada » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:58 am UTC

or you could just talk to your significant other so you understand what their expectations are and come to some kind of mutual agreement on how the "event" is to be celebrated... you know, like human beings

if they pull the say-they-don't-want-anything-but-were-actually-expecting-something-amazing just light them on fire and save everyone some grief

translation: if this actually happens to you, you're probably not as smart as you think reading xkcd makes you
from canada

Postby sondre99v » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:00 am UTC

Best one in a long time, could not stop laughing for a full couple of minutes :D
sondre99v

Postby pbnjstowell » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:15 am UTC

My husband just informed me that he'd probably be the one to staple his hand to his face.

And I haven't given him a jar of hammers (yet)... but one year I gave him a good kitchen knife for V-day. (The handle was red!)

PS.
Quicksilver wrote:The only winning move is not to play.

How about a nice game of tic tac toe?
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.
pbnjstowell

Postby Eebster the Great » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:20 am UTC

How? Kill yourself?
Eebster the Great

Postby fearless » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:23 am UTC

This is the first thing that comes to my mind as well. So the best time to get a bf is right after Valentine's Day and dump him before his birthday (But make sure /your/ birthday is before /his/ birthday so you end up with one bday gift and no obligation to give him any for his) - It's perfect :D
fearless

Postby fearless » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:24 am UTC

Eebster the Great wrote:

How? Kill yourself?

Huh? It's a reference to another xkcd comic.
fearless

Postby StClair » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:40 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:Ironically, he sold his gold staple remover in order to buy the hammers.

Perfect.
StClair

Postby toadpipe » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:07 am UTC

Unfortunetly it isn't much of an interesting game...
toadpipe

Postby Kisama » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:13 am UTC

JetstreamGW wrote:The earlier and more frequently we get Cadburry Creme Eggs, the better it is for ALL THE WORLD.
This. A thousand times, this.
cd880b726e0a0dbd4237f10d15da46f4
Kisama

Postby krisman » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:15 am UTC

fearless wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:

How? Kill yourself?

Well I say its a War Games reference. One of the greatest movies of all time.
However here's the tic-tac-toe comic. http://xkcd.com/832/
krisman

Postby ysth » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:16 am UTC

I don't do Xtian holidays, but if I did, I would give her a card saying:

Solve for i:

9x-7i > 3(3x-7u)
A math joke: r = | |csc(θ)|+|sec(θ)| |-| |csc(θ)|-|sec(θ)| |
ysth

Postby goibee » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:22 am UTC

As an economist who to learn the prisoner's dilemma over and over again in different modules, I have to say the alt-text really made me laugh out loud.
goibee

Postby 907Code-G » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:37 am UTC

fearless wrote:
Eebster the Great wrote:

How? Kill yourself?

I thought I was pretty familiar with all the xkcds, isn't that a war games reference? hence the "Game of tic tac toe" reference right after that?
907Code-G

Postby eae » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:32 am UTC

I cannot believe I'm the first person to notice the bad grammar in the alt text. It should read, "The worst resolution to the Valentine Prisoner's Dilemma _IS_ when" etc. I thought for sure xkcd readers were too smart to overlook something this blatant.
eae

Postby fearless » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:37 am UTC

Possibly? But he was referring to http://xkcd.com/601/
(I didn't mean Randall... I meant Quicksilver's ref)
fearless

Postby atrahasis » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:06 am UTC

eae wrote:I cannot believe I'm the first person to notice the bad grammar in the alt text. It should read, "The worst resolution to the Valentine Prisoner's Dilemma _IS_ when" etc. I thought for sure xkcd readers were too smart to overlook something this blatant.

Mayvbe, like me, they spotted it but weren't about to waste their life posting about it on the internet.
atrahasis

Postby Invisiblemoose » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:26 am UTC

eae wrote:I cannot believe I'm the first person to notice the bad grammar in the alt text. It should read, "The worst resolution to the Valentine Prisoner's Dilemma _IS_ when" etc. I thought for sure xkcd readers were too smart to overlook something this blatant.

It's not bad grammar, it's a typo. Give Randall a fucking break.
Invisiblemoose

Postby eae » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:35 am UTC

atrahasis wrote:

Mayvbe, like me, they spotted it but weren't about to waste their life posting about it on the internet.

Yes, your life was clearly less-wasted posting not about the error but about what a waste of life posting about the error is. Didn't expect to find an asshole convention here. My mistake, after all this is still part of the internet.
eae

Postby pkcommando » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:07 pm UTC

Also, <3.

I thought it was very disturbing to see them in some stores this year BEFORE the Valentine's Day items. It's one of those moments when you want to find a calendar to confirm that you are not insane.

And yet, I never bat an eye when Christmas decorations are out before the Halloween costumes...... how strange.
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.
pkcommando

Postby Randomizer » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:20 pm UTC

I initially misread it as a jar of hamsters.

But hammers work, too.
Belial wrote:I'm all outraged out. Call me when the violent rebellion starts.
Randomizer

Postby SirMustapha » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:45 pm UTC

from canada wrote:or you could just talk to your significant other so you understand what their expectations are and come to some kind of mutual agreement on how the "event" is to be celebrated... you know, like human beings

But then they wouldn't be SPESHUL. Remember this comic is pandering to a "class" of people who consider social ineptitude as a sort of virtue, and take pride in deliberately making social affairs more confusing and problematic than they need to be. Because that's quirky and cute.

I just don't know how Randall manages to write dialogue that is so consistently unnatural and ugly. Aside from being irritating to read, it ruins even more the "lolrandom" humour at the end.
SirMustapha

Postby radtea » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:58 pm UTC

ribbonsofnight wrote:If this scenario perfectly satisfies the conditions of the prisoners dilemma something is wrong with the relationship.

No kidding: the PD requires that the two parties know nothing about each other except that they are "human". The Iterated PD, which is not the PD, allows knowledge of past behaviour.

The analysis of the PD turns on what is meant by "human". The traditional analysis in terms of strict economic rationality turns on a contradiction: it pretends to ask "What would a strictly 'rational' being do in this situation" and then behaves as if BOTH players are not strictly rational beings. As if one player was completely different in every respect from the other. This is weird, because it is then no longer an human game. The other player could be a random number generator for all you care.

This is important because if all you know is that the other player is economically rational (ie that "human" == "homo economicus") you know that they will behave identically to you. The off-diagonal elements of the pay-off matrix simple vanish in a cloud of contradiction, and the while "dilemma" becomes a trivial choice.

It is only when you treat one player are a rational being and the other player as a magic unicorn or equivalent that there is any dilemma to be found. On this view the PD highlights the randomness and irrationality of human behaviour rather than demonstrating any particular issue for economically rational individuals living in an economically rational population: in such a population everyone would make the same choices faced with the same PD-type situation, because beings of the same kind behave the same way (that is, causality holds.)
Coming on Midsummer's Day to a Web Browser Near You: http://www.songsofalbion.com
radtea

Postby rhhardin » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:22 pm UTC

The actual dynamic is that the girl gets to show her friends what she got.

The inconsiderate thing is putting your girl one down in the eyes of her friends.

It's girls showing off to friends that is the game to stop participating in.

Then Valentine's day can stop.

Otherwise guys will forever risk not getting laid.
rhhardin

Postby dp2 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:40 pm UTC

Single me: "Valentine's Day should be abolished. It's salt in the wound for lonely people."
Coupled friend: "Oh, don't worry about it. It's really not important to most couples, so single people shouldn't feel like they're missing out on something."

I'd say I won that debate.
dp2

Postby keithl » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:01 pm UTC

I'm getting my sweetie a 32GB USB flash drive filled with "I love you". I'm also hiding all the staplers.
Philosophy is the culmination of mankind's quest to prove there is nothing worth thinking about.
keithl

Postby Sprocket » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:04 pm UTC

<3
Especially the alt text!

I think I've only ever gotten a valentines gift from a boyfriend once, and that was two years ago. Technically I got one from Skippy once, but that was just a coincidence because The Magnetic Fields happened to be playing on Valentines Day.
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
ImageImage Image Image
Sprocket
Seymour

Postby jpers36 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:09 pm UTC

ysth wrote:I don't do Xtian holidays ...:

Valentine's Day is really a Hallmark holiday, at least the way it's celebrated nowadays.
jpers36

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads