1023: "Late-Night BS"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

User avatar
-KF-
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 4:06 am UTC
Location: Nowhere

1023: "Late-Night BS"

Postby -KF- » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:12 am UTC

Image

Mouseover: "Then it switched to these old black-and-white tapes of Bob Ross slumped against the wall of an empty room, painting the least happy trees you've ever seen. Either PBS needs to beef up studio security or I need to stop using Ambien to sleep."

Oh, so we're just blaming it on the drugs again?

User avatar
rhomboidal
Posts: 801
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:14 am UTC

Sometimes I watch late-night PBS while listening to late-night NPR and get transported to a bizarre interdimensional world where Mr. Snuffleupagus plays transgalactic tribal jazz on his own trunk.

Forget the tote bags. THAT'S why I donate.

User avatar
DataPacRat
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:49 am UTC
Location: Niagara, Canada
Contact:

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby DataPacRat » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:18 am UTC

"Does anyone remember this kid’s show? It was called Candle Cove and I must have been 6 or 7. I never found reference to it anywhere so I think it was on a local station around 1971 or 1972. I lived in Ironton at the time. I don’t remember which station, but I do remember it was on at a weird time, like 4:00 PM."

User avatar
WolfieMario
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:45 pm UTC
Contact:

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby WolfieMario » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:23 am UTC

DataPacRat wrote:"Does anyone remember this kid’s show? It was called Candle Cove and I must have been 6 or 7. I never found reference to it anywhere so I think it was on a local station around 1971 or 1972. I lived in Ironton at the time. I don’t remember which station, but I do remember it was on at a weird time, like 4:00 PM."

"it seems really familiar to me…..i grew up outside of ashland and was 9 yrs old in 72. candle cove…was it about pirates? i remember a pirate marionete at the mouth of a cave talking to a little girl"
"Sometimes game development isn't about doing what is nice to everyone all the time." - Jens Bergensten

User avatar
MiB24601
Posts: 714
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:13 pm UTC
Location: Philadelphia, PA

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby MiB24601 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:35 am UTC

I wondered how much worse Carmen Sandiego would get after they booted Rockapella and switched to a "Where in Time" format. Now I know.
"There's no point being grown-up if you can't be childish sometimes." - The Fourth Doctor, Doctor Who

User avatar
DataPacRat
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:49 am UTC
Location: Niagara, Canada
Contact:

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby DataPacRat » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:35 am UTC

WolfieMario wrote:
DataPacRat wrote:"Does anyone remember this kid’s show? It was called Candle Cove and I must have been 6 or 7. I never found reference to it anywhere so I think it was on a local station around 1971 or 1972. I lived in Ironton at the time. I don’t remember which station, but I do remember it was on at a weird time, like 4:00 PM."

"it seems really familiar to me…..i grew up outside of ashland and was 9 yrs old in 72. candle cove…was it about pirates? i remember a pirate marionete at the mouth of a cave talking to a little girl"


"YES! Okay I’m not crazy! I remember Pirate Percy. I was always kind of scared of him. He looked like he was built from parts of other dolls, real low-budget. His head was an old porcelain baby doll, looked like an antique that didn’t belong on the body. I don’t remember what station this was! I don’t think it was WTSF though."

nitePhyyre
Posts: 1280
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:31 am UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby nitePhyyre » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:47 am UTC

Its probably the ambien.
sourmìlk wrote:Monopolies are not when a single company controls the market for a single product.

You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process.

User avatar
Scorpio3002
Posts: 39
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:46 pm UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby Scorpio3002 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:57 am UTC

Would the graves in Cambodia be marked with crosses? Really don't think Christianity was too big at the time (though Pol Pot would certainly have targeted it if it were).

whatspider
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:59 am UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby whatspider » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:11 am UTC

Couldn't have been new. The Chief died 9 years ago. *single tear*

SidewinderX2
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:24 am UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby SidewinderX2 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:36 am UTC

DataPacRat wrote:
WolfieMario wrote:
DataPacRat wrote:"Does anyone remember this kid’s show? It was called Candle Cove and I must have been 6 or 7. I never found reference to it anywhere so I think it was on a local station around 1971 or 1972. I lived in Ironton at the time. I don’t remember which station, but I do remember it was on at a weird time, like 4:00 PM."

"it seems really familiar to me…..i grew up outside of ashland and was 9 yrs old in 72. candle cove…was it about pirates? i remember a pirate marionete at the mouth of a cave talking to a little girl"


"YES! Okay I’m not crazy! I remember Pirate Percy. I was always kind of scared of him. He looked like he was built from parts of other dolls, real low-budget. His head was an old porcelain baby doll, looked like an antique that didn’t belong on the body. I don’t remember what station this was! I don’t think it was WTSF though."


"I know exactly what show you mean. I think Candle Cove ran for only a couple months in ‘71, not ‘72. I was 12 and I watched it a few times with my brother. It was channel 58, whatever station that was. My mom would let me switch to it after the news. Let me see what I remember.

It took place in Candle cove, and it was about a little girl who imagined herself to be friends with pirates. The pirate ship was called the Laughingstock, and Pirate Percy wasn’t a very good pirate because he got scared too easily. And there was calliope music constantly playing. Don’t remember the girl’s name. Janice or Jade or something. Think it was Janice."

User avatar
DataPacRat
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:49 am UTC
Location: Niagara, Canada
Contact:

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby DataPacRat » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:58 am UTC

SidewinderX2 wrote:
DataPacRat wrote:
WolfieMario wrote:
DataPacRat wrote:"Does anyone remember this kid’s show? It was called Candle Cove and I must have been 6 or 7. I never found reference to it anywhere so I think it was on a local station around 1971 or 1972. I lived in Ironton at the time. I don’t remember which station, but I do remember it was on at a weird time, like 4:00 PM."

"it seems really familiar to me…..i grew up outside of ashland and was 9 yrs old in 72. candle cove…was it about pirates? i remember a pirate marionete at the mouth of a cave talking to a little girl"


"YES! Okay I’m not crazy! I remember Pirate Percy. I was always kind of scared of him. He looked like he was built from parts of other dolls, real low-budget. His head was an old porcelain baby doll, looked like an antique that didn’t belong on the body. I don’t remember what station this was! I don’t think it was WTSF though."


"I know exactly what show you mean. I think Candle Cove ran for only a couple months in ‘71, not ‘72. I was 12 and I watched it a few times with my brother. It was channel 58, whatever station that was. My mom would let me switch to it after the news. Let me see what I remember.

It took place in Candle cove, and it was about a little girl who imagined herself to be friends with pirates. The pirate ship was called the Laughingstock, and Pirate Percy wasn’t a very good pirate because he got scared too easily. And there was calliope music constantly playing. Don’t remember the girl’s name. Janice or Jade or something. Think it was Janice."


"Thank you Jaren!!! Memories flooded back when you mentioned the Laughingstock and channel 58. I remember the bow of the ship was a wooden smiling face, with the lower jaw submerged. It looked like it was swallowing the sea and it had that awful Ed Wynn voice and laugh. I especially remember how jarring it was when they switched from the wooden/plastic model, to the foam puppet version of the head that talked."

User avatar
Quicksilver
Posts: 437
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:21 am UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:18 am UTC

I've engaged in a number of 90's cartoon discussions, I find it fascinating how dark some cartoons were back then.

User avatar
Max2009
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:20 pm UTC
Location: Where?
Contact:

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby Max2009 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:20 am UTC

MiB24601 wrote:I wondered how much worse Carmen Sandiego would get after they booted Rockapella and switched to a "Where in Time" format. Now I know.

They did that? Wow. I'm glad I gave up television in favor of more interactive entertainment.
Cogito ergo surf - I think therefore I network

Registered Linux user #481826 Get Counted! http://counter.li.org

Image

MSTK
Posts: 123
Joined: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:43 am UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby MSTK » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:50 am UTC

Do you guys really need to leave the quotation marks in the messages?

webdude
Posts: 57
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:11 am UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby webdude » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:09 am UTC

Sounds like the other PBS - the Pubescents' Brainwashing Syndicate. Still waaay better than watching late-night PMS.
Last edited by webdude on Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:41 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Diadem
Posts: 5654
Joined: Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:03 am UTC
Location: The Netherlands

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby Diadem » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:02 am UTC

This comic is like, in a foreign language to me.

Er, well, the comic is always in a foreign language. But this one seems to be in a foreign language other than English. What the hell is it about, and what is the joke? "Where in the world is Carmen Diego" seems to be a kid's tv show from the 90s. Ok. But I don't get the joke?
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

RepWhitGhost
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:01 am UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby RepWhitGhost » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:05 am UTC

The scariest part of this is the first couple posts seem to copy/paste from http://www.creepypasta.com/candle-cove/ from 2009 but under different screen names.

User avatar
Eternal Density
Posts: 5588
Joined: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:37 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby Eternal Density » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:39 am UTC

Yeah it's been a while since I've related to an xkcd as little as this one.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5940
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby Angua » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:42 am UTC

Diadem wrote:This comic is like, in a foreign language to me.

Er, well, the comic is always in a foreign language. But this one seems to be in a foreign language other than English. What the hell is it about, and what is the joke? "Where in the world is Carmen Diego" seems to be a kid's tv show from the 90s. Ok. But I don't get the joke?

PBS is the public broadcasting station, that shows a lot of random stuff, but did a lot of kids shows on it during the day time, so is pretty nostalgic for those who grew up with American television programming. Carmen Sandiego, Mr Roger's Neighbourhood, Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow - presumably the other programs are what comes on at night for the more adult audience (I know they do nova, and I'm guessing downton abbey as well).
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

User avatar
addams
Posts: 10325
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC
Location: Oregon Coast: 97444

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby addams » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:47 am UTC

DataPacRat wrote:
SidewinderX2 wrote:
DataPacRat wrote:
WolfieMario wrote:
DataPacRat wrote:"Does anyone remember this kid’s show? It was called Candle Cove and I must have been 6 or 7. I never found reference to it anywhere so I think it was on a local station around 1971 or 1972. I lived in Ironton at the time. I don’t remember which station, but I do remember it was on at a weird time, like 4:00 PM."

"it seems really familiar to me…..i grew up outside of ashland and was 9 yrs old in 72. candle cove…was it about pirates? i remember a pirate marionete at the mouth of a cave talking to a little girl"


"YES! Okay I’m not crazy! I remember Pirate Percy. I was always kind of scared of him. He looked like he was built from parts of other dolls, real low-budget. His head was an old porcelain baby doll, looked like an antique that didn’t belong on the body. I don’t remember what station this was! I don’t think it was WTSF though."


"I know exactly what show you mean. I think Candle Cove ran for only a couple months in ‘71, not ‘72. I was 12 and I watched it a few times with my brother. It was channel 58, whatever station that was. My mom would let me switch to it after the news. Let me see what I remember.

It took place in Candle cove, and it was about a little girl who imagined herself to be friends with pirates. The pirate ship was called the Laughingstock, and Pirate Percy wasn’t a very good pirate because he got scared too easily. And there was calliope music constantly playing. Don’t remember the girl’s name. Janice or Jade or something. Think it was Janice."


"Thank you Jaren!!! Memories flooded back when you mentioned the Laughingstock and channel 58. I remember the bow of the ship was a wooden smiling face, with the lower jaw submerged. It looked like it was swallowing the sea and it had that awful Ed Wynn voice and laugh. I especially remember how jarring it was when they switched from the wooden/plastic model, to the foam puppet version of the head that talked."


It sounds strangely wonderful.
Spoiler:
I did not, really, understand Mr. Rodgers. But, we could sure use him now.
Today is miss Mr. Rodgers day.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_Rogers

Late night PBS?
You people are so spoiled.
When I was your age there were only three recorded television programs.

Then, there was a photo of the Grand Canyon. It played all night.

That was after the good old days of the Test Pattern.

Can you imagine? Those guys were all !high five! over some granny black and white image.
The first test patterns that I remember looked like Radiation Warning signs.
Then we got an Indian Head in the middle. That was High Definition at that time; Not now.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

User avatar
Linux0s
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:34 pm UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby Linux0s » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:55 am UTC

I don't think Bob Ross was capable of painting a less than happy tree. It's your own little world and you can make it any way you like. And in Bob Ross' little world the trees were happy dammit. And the clouds too.

*And if you aren't you're getting scraped off existence with a palette knife.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

User avatar
AvatarIII
Posts: 2098
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:57 am UTC

Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego was a quiz show? I always thought it was a cartoon.

User avatar
da Doctah
Posts: 995
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby da Doctah » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:58 am UTC

Anyone who's ever tried to watch TV late at night when they should just pack it in and go to bed has had the experience of drifting in and out of sleep with the result that they remember seeing things that they're never quite sure are real or if they just dreamed them.

You tell me: was there ever a commercial where the Jolly Green Giant bites the head off the Pillsbury Doughboy?

I wrote a version of that joke, intending to send it to David Letterman, clear back when he was on NBC.

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5178
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby Felstaff » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:08 am UTC

DataPacRat wrote:
SidewinderX2 wrote:
DataPacRat wrote:
WolfieMario wrote:
DataPacRat wrote:"Does anyone remember this kid’s show? It was called Candle Cove and I must have been 6 or 7. I never found reference to it anywhere so I think it was on a local station around 1971 or 1972. I lived in Ironton at the time. I don’t remember which station, but I do remember it was on at a weird time, like 4:00 PM."

"it seems really familiar to me…..i grew up outside of ashland and was 9 yrs old in 72. candle cove…was it about pirates? i remember a pirate marionete at the mouth of a cave talking to a little girl"


"YES! Okay I’m not crazy! I remember Pirate Percy. I was always kind of scared of him. He looked like he was built from parts of other dolls, real low-budget. His head was an old porcelain baby doll, looked like an antique that didn’t belong on the body. I don’t remember what station this was! I don’t think it was WTSF though."


"I know exactly what show you mean. I think Candle Cove ran for only a couple months in ‘71, not ‘72. I was 12 and I watched it a few times with my brother. It was channel 58, whatever station that was. My mom would let me switch to it after the news. Let me see what I remember.

It took place in Candle cove, and it was about a little girl who imagined herself to be friends with pirates. The pirate ship was called the Laughingstock, and Pirate Percy wasn’t a very good pirate because he got scared too easily. And there was calliope music constantly playing. Don’t remember the girl’s name. Janice or Jade or something. Think it was Janice."


"Thank you Jaren!!! Memories flooded back when you mentioned the Laughingstock and channel 58. I remember the bow of the ship was a wooden smiling face, with the lower jaw submerged. It looked like it was swallowing the sea and it had that awful Ed Wynn voice and laugh. I especially remember how jarring it was when they switched from the wooden/plastic model, to the foam puppet version of the head that talked."

hey i found it! its louder than i remember. (clicky)

Image

its the part where laughingstock says "you have... to go... INSIDE"
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

User avatar
Red Hal
Magically Delicious
Posts: 1445
Joined: Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:42 pm UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby Red Hal » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:31 am UTC

Actually the relevant episode is here:
Spoiler:
TRIGGER WARNING: CREEPY AS ALL HELL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po1XJe94oKA


And yes, I feel disconnected to today's comic, but only because as a non-USAian I have never seen an episode of "Where in the world is Carmen Santiago". That happens sometimes, no biggie.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

User avatar
thesingingaccountant
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:18 pm UTC
Location: My trusty tablet, most likely

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby thesingingaccountant » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:45 am UTC

This hasn't happened to me so much with TV, but definitely with radio. I actually incorporated a radio quiz show into a dream once.

*nostalgic sigh* I miss Carmen Sandiego... And Mr. Rogers... And especially Bob Ross. My mother has a few VHS tapes of episodes of Bob's show that she recorded off the TV. Life was always happy and good while watching him paint. :-)
Never trust a psychic who has to reschedule.

User avatar
Angua
Don't call her Delphine.
Posts: 5940
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:42 pm UTC
Location: UK/[St. Kitts and] Nevis Occasionally, I migrate to the US for a bit

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby Angua » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:46 am UTC

If I ever have a child, I'm definitely going to try and dig up a wishbone dvd set for them!
Crabtree's bludgeon: “no set of mutually inconsistent observations can exist for which some human intellect cannot conceive a coherent explanation, however complicated”
GNU Terry Pratchett

spikebrennan
Posts: 6
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:44 pm UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby spikebrennan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:02 pm UTC

This is so much like http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-993 that it's uncanny.

sgtrock
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:16 pm UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby sgtrock » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:26 pm UTC

Wow. I remember when the original Broderbund games came out in the early '80s. I actually bought the first one before I realized it was aimed at young kids. Still had fun playing it, though. Lots of good humor in it. :)

Mike Bevel
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:14 pm UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby Mike Bevel » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:16 pm UTC

There's a great monologue from the Christopher Durang play 'dentity Crisis that came to mind:

When I was eight years old, someone brought me to this... theatre. Full of lots of other children. We were supposed to be watching a production of Peter Pan. And I remember that something seemed terribly wrong with the whole production. Odd things kept happening.

For instance, when the children would fly, the ropes they were on would just keep breaking ... and the actors would come thumping to the ground and they had to be carried off by stagehands. And there seemed to be an unlimited supply of understudies, to take their places, and then they'd just fall to the ground. And then the crocodile that chases Captain Hook, seemed to be a real crocodile, it wasn't an actor. And at one point it fell off the stage and crushed a couple of kids in the front row. And then some of the understudies came and took their places in the audience. And from scene to scene, Wendy just seemed to get fatter and fatter until finally by the end of act one she was completely immobile and they had to move her off stage with a cart.

You remember how in the second act Tinkerbell drinks some poison that Peter is about to drink in order to save him? And then Peter turns to the audience and he says, "Tinkerbell is going to die because not enough people believe in fairies. But if all of you clap your hands real hard to show that you do believe in fairies, maybe she won't die."

So, we all started to clap. I clapped so long and so hard that my palms hurt and they even started to bleed I clapped so hard. Then suddenly the actress playing Peter Pan turned to the audience and she said, "That wasn't enough. You did not clap hard enough. Tinkerbell is dead." And then we all started to cry. The actress stomped off stage and refused to continue with the production. They finally had to lower the curtain. The ushers had to come help us out of the aisles and into the street.

I don't think that any of us were ever the same after that experience. It certainly turned me against theatre. And even more damagingly, I think it's warped my total sense of life. I mean nothing seems worth trying if Tinkerbell is just going to die.

ut_icedragon
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:47 pm UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby ut_icedragon » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:33 pm UTC

I LOVED watching Where In The World is Carmen Sandiego. I have the original theme on my phone music playlist. I feel no shame when it comes up, even when its in the car with my fiancee on a road trip. I crank it up.

Yes, the show went downhill, IMO, when the got rid of Rockapella (I actually have the soundtrack from the show on a tape somewhere). I stopped watching short after the "Where In Time" format.

milN
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 12:53 pm UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby milN » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:42 pm UTC

It should be an Austrian basement, I believe... Dutch basements are just full of weed and old stolen bicycle parts :)

User avatar
pkcommando
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:22 pm UTC
Location: Allston, MA

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby pkcommando » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:45 pm UTC

Linux0s wrote:I don't think Bob Ross was capable of painting a less than happy tree. It's your own little world and you can make it any way you like. And in Bob Ross' little world the trees were happy dammit. And the clouds too.

*And if you aren't you're getting scraped off existence with a palette knife.

I still love the early Family Guy w/ Peter watching him. "...and we're gonna put a happy little bush down here in the corner. And that'll just be our little secret. And if you tell anyone that that bush is there... I will come to your house and I will cut you." Wonderfully wrong on so many levels.

User avatar
pkcommando
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:22 pm UTC
Location: Allston, MA

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby pkcommando » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:50 pm UTC

Mike Bevel wrote:There's a great monologue from the Christopher Durang play 'dentity Crisis that came to mind:

When I was eight years old, someone brought me to this... theatre. Full of lots of other children. We were supposed to be watching a production of Peter Pan. And I remember that something seemed terribly wrong with the whole production. Odd things kept happening.....

For a while now I've wanted to organize a group to go see Peter Pan and buy out all the tickets to one showing. When it comes to the clapping scene, silence. None of us clap at all. By all rights, that means Tinkerbell would have to die and I'd like to see if the performers would have the stones to go along w/ it.

Is it bad that I have these kinds of thoughts?

murribu
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:45 pm UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby murribu » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:54 pm UTC

You know, they never specified what they were asking Rockapella to do...

User avatar
the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Posts: 939
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:46 am UTC
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby the_bandersnatch » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:58 pm UTC

RepWhitGhost wrote:The scariest part of this is the first couple posts seem to copy/paste from http://www.creepypasta.com/candle-cove/ from 2009 but under different screen names.


Thank you Doctor Fucking Obvious. I was enjoying the exchange regardless, kind of hoping someone might fall for it.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

philip1201
Posts: 201
Joined: Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:16 am UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby philip1201 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:56 pm UTC

milN wrote:It should be an Austrian basement, I believe... Dutch basements are just full of weed and old stolen bicycle parts :)


There is no mention of a basement in the comic. Anne Frank was captured living in a secret room behind a bookshelf in a Dutch apartment (and, like many Dutch Jews, deported to a concentration camp and brutally murdered).
It would make no sense for it to be an Austrian basement, because it was a good thing that girl was found in there.

Also, it was Dutch bicycles that were stolen by the Nazis, because their iron frames were useful for the war effort.
Furthermore, it is illegal to grow more than three marijuana plants without a license, and [url=http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/lif_can_use-lifestyle-cannabis-use]Dutch people don't use much weed] compared to nations like the US, so it is much less likely to find a lot of marijuana growing in a Dutch basement than in an American one.

User avatar
Felstaff
Occam's Taser
Posts: 5178
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:10 pm UTC
Location: ¢ ₪ ¿ ¶ § ∴ ® © ™ ؟ ¡ ‽ æ Þ ° ₰ ₤ ಡಢ

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby Felstaff » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:31 pm UTC

I thought Miln was making a reference to Josef Fritzl, to add a further macabre element to a very consternating candle cove-y comic.

Anyway, I hardly watched Where in the World is Carmen Whalevagina? even though it was broadcast in the UK. I enjoyed the game, though. Besides, "war is god's way of teaching Americans geography", not educational kids' TV shows!
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

User avatar
A_of_s_t
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:10 am UTC
Contact:

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby A_of_s_t » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:48 pm UTC

What in God's name is up with the font? Why is the quality so bad? I just... didn't get this comic. Like, I got the joke, but it wasn't funny; and the awful quality of the image kept distracting me. Now excuse me while I go to Questionable Content and look at Hanners.
Check out my web interzones powered by Web 3.0 technology running on Mozzarella Foxfire:
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image

Randomness
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:22 pm UTC

Re: 1023: "Late-Night PBS"

Postby Randomness » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:52 pm UTC

Angua wrote:
Diadem wrote:This comic is like, in a foreign language to me.

Er, well, the comic is always in a foreign language. But this one seems to be in a foreign language other than English. What the hell is it about, and what is the joke? "Where in the world is Carmen Diego" seems to be a kid's tv show from the 90s. Ok. But I don't get the joke?

PBS is the public broadcasting station, that shows a lot of random stuff, but did a lot of kids shows on it during the day time, so is pretty nostalgic for those who grew up with American television programming. Carmen Sandiego, Mr Roger's Neighbourhood, Sesame Street, Reading Rainbow - presumably the other programs are what comes on at night for the more adult audience (I know they do nova, and I'm guessing downton abbey as well).



Politic round tables, history, science, and Bob Ross instructs people on how to paint happy trees. There are a few different DIY shows, one where the dude uses hand tools instead of power tools (Yankee Workshop) to make things like they would have 200 years ago. I wonder if the hiding behind the bookshelf was from the DIY or a history on Anne Frank.

This woman has taken sleeping meds, and as she drifts not quite asleep all the shows get mashed together into one.

There now that the joke is explained you will laugh, right?


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 41 guests