1029: "Drawing Stars"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

weckar2

Re: 1029: "Drawing Stars"

Postby weckar2 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:38 am UTC

I think this is a math joke more than anything else. The last line drawn is parallel to the first, so if he wouldn't abort he'd have to draw the line forever (two parallel lines never intersect). Euclidean space ftw.

jetsam

Postby jetsam » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:42 am UTC

Use a turtle.

thesingingaccountant

Postby thesingingaccountant » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:45 am UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Friday, on xkcd: How to Draw Stick Figures, and How Hard It Is to Connect Heads to Necks.

So.

It has come to this.
Never trust a psychic who has to reschedule.

alexriehl

Postby alexriehl » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:03 pm UTC

It might help people make their stars/pentagrams look a little better to know that for a 5-pointed star, the arc-length between the points is 72 degrees.

Also, an inverted symbol, whether cross or pentagram, traditionally symbolizes a higher level of holiness. Most of those metal bands have no idea what they're doing.
AMA about suitcases
Spoiler:

tesseraktik

Postby tesseraktik » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:15 pm UTC

SirMustapha wrote:Friday, on xkcd: How to Draw Stick Figures, and How Hard It Is to Connect Heads to Necks.
There are times when I consider drawing a short line segment that connects the head to the torso; as though there were an elongation of the spine which reached above the shoulders.

However, I quickly dismiss such flights of fancy, and recapitulate* from all artistic pursuits.

*I am assuming that this word means "to surrender for the nth time; n>1".
ni'o mi nelci le zirpu sovmabrnornitorinku
Spoiler:
++$_ wrote:What's a "degree"?

EDIT: I looked it up on Wikipedia. Apparently it's some ancient Babylonian unit for angles :/

javahead

Postby javahead » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:23 pm UTC

standingwave wrote:I've been invoking Earth every time I draw a star and had no idea. Good for Earth, I guess. :roll:

As a lefty, I have apparently been banishing it. Balance restored. oh wait

jalohones wrote:
standingwave wrote:I've been invoking Earth every time I draw a star and had no idea. Good for Earth, I guess. :roll:

That's OK, I've been banishing Earth. And thus is the balance of the universe maintained.

Crap!

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:38 pm UTC

I too Earth-banish. This could explain the lack of Xorns in my life.
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

Gedankenwelt

Postby Gedankenwelt » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:46 pm UTC

I think a (theoretically) exact method to draw a pentagram would be like following:

1. Draw a horizontal line with length l1, and end points A, B
2. Calculate l2 = l1/phi, where phi is the golden ratio (sqrt(5) + 1)/2
3. Use a compass to find the point E' below the line AB with a distance of l2 from A and B
4. Draw lines AC, BD with length l1 that pass through E'
5. Use a compass to find the point E above the line AB with a distance of l1 from C and D
6. Draw the lines CE, DE

Diadem wrote:I ... don't get the comic.

At first I thought he was accidently drawing a star of David, and that is why the commentator wanted to abort (because of associations with nazism). But it's not a star of David, nor could it become one. Then I thought maybe it's a pentagram the commentator is worried aboug, for its association with Satanism. But it's not a pentagram either.

So what symbol is the drawer accidently drawing that has the commentator so worried? I do not get it.

Perhaps the commentator is worried that the drawer is drawing it wrong. But that's not a joke. Besides he isn't. He's only drawing it wrong if he wanted a pentagram. But in that case he's already wrong at the 3rd stroke, when the commentator still says 'steady as she goes'.

So I'm just totally confused at this comic.

If I'm not wrong, there's just one person who wants to show how to draw pentagrams (hence 36°), but who doesn't realize that already the third line is wrong (it should be horizontal).

P.S.: Seems I'm in the invoke Air / banish earth group

Sabreblade

Postby Sabreblade » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:48 pm UTC

I'm a lefty and have apparently been a fire banisher all my life.
It's weird, I (like many others, apparently) just assumed that was the "standard" way to draw them - never thought of doing it another way...

ut_icedragon

Postby ut_icedragon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:02 pm UTC

thesingingaccountant wrote:

So.

It has come to this.

Double WIN!

Thanks for making me fall out of my chair laughing at BOTH posts.

Cheers

ut_icedragon

Postby ut_icedragon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:06 pm UTC

Another Earth banister here apparently.

Thanks a lot WolfieMario, now I'm going to end up being even more conscious about yet another mundane task in my life.

:wink:

B Z

Postby B Z » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:08 pm UTC

36-degree angles? Shouldn't that be 72-degree, or am I missing something?

cellocgw

Postby cellocgw » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:21 pm UTC

senorred wrote:I swear I had a math teacher in fourth grade who made an assignment of "who can draw the most stars in 2 minutes". Because who gives a crap about times tables when you don't know how to make your notes pretty?

So of course you, as a future astrophysicist, handed in a black sheet of paper, and said, "I just drew 10^(googol) stars, but they're so far away you can't see them."
resume
Former OTTer
Vote cellocgw for President 2020. #ScienceintheWhiteHouse http://cellocgw.wordpress.com
"The Planck length is 3.81779e-33 picas." -- keithl
" Earth weighs almost exactly π milliJupiters" -- what-if #146, note 7

rileyrulesu

Postby rileyrulesu » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:22 pm UTC

WolfieMario wrote:
xkcdfan wrote:That's stupid, Randall.

Anyone who draws stars in a different order from how I do it is stupid.

star.gif

Fool! You do not understand the importance of the direction in which you draw your pentagrams!

As the above diagram shows, in this comic Randall had attempted to invoke spiritual energy. The point of the comic was that the drawing of a pentagram should not be taken lightly: as he was drawing the pentagram for invoking a spirit, he realized that the approaching spirit was malevolent, and immediately aborted the invocation.

You, on the other hand, are drawing Earth-banishing pentagrams. It is no wonder that the state of our planet is in environmental decline, thanks to heathens such as yourself...

Source: http://www.shadowsofoz.net/basics/pentagram.html

Spoiler:
Disclaimer: I have no clue what I'm talking about; I just remembered seeing that page once and couldn't help but post this. And I also usually end up drawing my pentagrams the same way you do, xkcdfan :oops:.

So, what you're saying, is Satan is actually captain planet?

Weeks
Hey Baby, wanna make a fortnight?

Postby Weeks » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:26 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:I ... don't get the comic.

At first I thought he was accidently drawing a star of David, and that is why the commentator wanted to abort (because of associations with nazism). But it's not a star of David, nor could it become one. Then I thought maybe it's a pentagram the commentator is worried aboug, for its association with Satanism. But it's not a pentagram either.

So what symbol is the drawer accidently drawing that has the commentator so worried? I do not get it.

Perhaps the commentator is worried that the drawer is drawing it wrong. But that's not a joke. Besides he isn't. He's only drawing it wrong if he wanted a pentagram. But in that case he's already wrong at the 3rd stroke, when the commentator still says 'steady as she goes'.

So I'm just totally confused at this comic.
It's just about having trouble drawing a star.
TaintedDeity wrote:Tainted Deity
suffer-cait wrote:One day I'm gun a go visit weeks and discover they're just a computer in a trashcan at an ice cream shop.
Dthen wrote:FUCK CHRISTMAS FUCK EVERYTHING FUCK YOU TOO FUCK OFF

cct

Postby cct » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:02 pm UTC

I draw pentagrams in a non-Eulerian style (that is, I lift the pencil between strokes, and don't start the next stroke from the end of the previous one). What is the effect of that?

In practice, there are 3840 ways to draw a pentagram drawing each of the five sides with a single stroke. The illustration rileyrulesu provided gives effects for 10 of the 3840. What do the other 3830 do?

the_bandersnatch
Actually not so frumious.
Location: on a bed in a room inside a TV in a hotel room in a hotel on a Monopoly board

Postby the_bandersnatch » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:07 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:At first I thought he was accidently drawing a star of David, and that is why the commentator wanted to abort (because of associations with nazism).

a star of David

associations with nazism

Wat.
In girum imus nocte, et consumimur igni

EmuSam

Postby EmuSam » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:17 pm UTC

How to draw a star:

Lines = n, n>1
intersections = x, x>n
Declare a 2D representation of a burning 3D sphere as seen through an atmosphere.

Snark

Postby Snark » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:18 pm UTC

I, sadly, am among the ranks of the earth banishing fools. No wonder that the ozone layer's gone to hell.

I'm off to repent and then practice my earth-invoking stars. God knows how many I'll have to draw before balance is restored.

I learn so many things from xkcd.

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:23 pm UTC

the_bandersnatch wrote:
Diadem wrote:At first I thought he was accidently drawing a star of David, and that is why the commentator wanted to abort (because of associations with nazism).
a star of David
associations with nazism

Wat.

Yes, really
Of course it's a Jewish religious symbol. And it's fine for Jews to use it. But it's one of those symbols that you really can't use as a non-Jew without very unfortunate implications.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:30 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:Of course it's a Jewish religious symbol. And it's fine for Jews to use it. But it's one of those symbols that you really can't use as a non-Jew without very unfortunate implications.

Can't speak for the European perspective, but from an American perspective there's nothing negative associated with the Star of David.

Well, I mean, unless you hate Jews.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:40 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
the_bandersnatch wrote:
a star of David
associations with nazism

Wat.

Yes, really
Of course it's a Jewish religious symbol. And it's fine for Jews to use it. But it's one of those symbols that you really can't use as a non-Jew without very unfortunate implications.

I never thought that the star of David was like the Jewish equivalent of the word Nerfherder

Judah

Postby Judah » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:47 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:
Diadem wrote:Of course it's a Jewish religious symbol. And it's fine for Jews to use it. But it's one of those symbols that you really can't use as a non-Jew without very unfortunate implications.

Can't speak for the European perspective, but from an American perspective there's nothing negative associated with the Star of David.

Well, I mean, unless you hate Jews.
I agree with this. Just because the Nazis used a Jewish symbol (not a religious symbol, incidentally) to designate Jews doesn't turn it into a Nazi symbol or imply that a non-Jew who uses it is a Nazi sympathizer. Obviously, if he's chalking it on doors or something, that's a bit different, but the same would apply to the word "Jew" (or any other ethnicity, for that matter). Symbols stand for what they stand for; it's context that gives them implications beyond that.

Sprocket
Seymour

Postby Sprocket » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:07 pm UTC

how to draw a star.jpg
"She’s a free spirit, a wind-rider, she’s at one with nature, and walks with the kodama eidolons”
Zohar wrote: Down with the hipster binary! It's a SPECTRUM!

Diadem

Postby Diadem » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:12 pm UTC

Diadem wrote:
the_bandersnatch wrote:
a star of David
associations with nazism

Wat.

Yes, really

I never thought that the star of David was like the Jewish equivalent of the word Nerfherder

I don't know what that means.

But there are plenty of words that can only be used by members of the group it applies to, at least without unfortunate implications. But no doubt cultural associations are different in the USA, so it could be a European (or maybe even just some parts of Europe) thing.
It's one of those irregular verbs, isn't it? I have an independent mind, you are an eccentric, he is round the twist
- Bernard Woolley in Yes, Prime Minister

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:18 pm UTC

I'm european and I have never heard of this star of david = nazi thing before ever.

Of course I'm English so that's not quite the same as the rest of europe culturally due to our constant americanisms but whatever.

Vael

Postby Vael » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:25 pm UTC

Invertin wrote:I'm european and I have never heard of this star of david = nazi thing before ever.

Of course I'm English so that's not quite the same as the rest of europe culturally due to our constant americanisms but whatever.

Watch the last episode of Downton Abbey, Season 1, and then read about World War II and Hitler.

*Stares into the distance*
I want to meet a philosophical pirate; they think, therefore they arrrrrrr.

Orlando
Loves all those arguments with the sexy sexy holes.

Postby Orlando » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:35 pm UTC

EmuSam wrote:How to draw a star:

Lines = n, n>1
intersections = x, x>n
Declare a 2D representation of a burning 3D sphere as seen through an atmosphere.

^ seconded.

As for pentagrams, I am apparently also amongst the ranks of the thrice-damned Earth-banishers. I... I just want humanity to spread out amongst the stars so much.

Zylon

Postby Zylon » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

weckar2 wrote:I think this is a math joke more than anything else.

You're wrong. It's a joke about trying to draw a star and failing.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:57 pm UTC

Zylon, hush you! There is no place here for rationality! What we need is wild speculation and anarchic misrepresentation! Saying this is *just* a comic about having difficulty drawing a star is like saying that http://www.xkcd.com/887/ is just a representation of searches in google about various future points in time. It's so much more than that! It is a prophecy! So, please, let's have a little less common sense and a little more fanciful bullshit. We'll need all we can get if we're going to catch up with the PUA thread.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

lesmith11

Postby lesmith11 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:01 pm UTC

a) It's about not being able to draw a 5-pointed star perfectly. Not even the "bench and triangle" method works because the points are all different sizes
b) If you're European and/or English and don't know the link between the star of david and nazism then...Oh me yarm...nm

Vael

Postby Vael » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

I draw star-banishing stars. But you've probably never seen them. 8)
I want to meet a philosophical pirate; they think, therefore they arrrrrrr.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:20 pm UTC

No, seriously, in the US, the Star of David is simply associated with Judaism. There's no popular conception of it as the mark the Nazi regime made of it. It's as common as the cross or the star and crescent, and it's neutral enough for bumper stickers.

I've been banishing Earth, too, but I'm terrible at it. (This was very GOOMHR for me - I've done this countless times.)
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:22 pm UTC

lesmith11 wrote:b) If you're European and/or English and don't know the link between the star of david and nazism then...Gee Willikers...nm

it's not not knowing that Nazis used the of a star of David, it's not thinking that use of the Star of David brings to mind Nazis.

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:24 pm UTC

lesmith11 wrote:b) If you're European and/or English and don't know the link between the star of david and nazism then...Gee Willikers...nm

But just because there's a link doesn't necessarily mean there's a connotation. Again, it may be US vs Europe, but I've never heard anything about the Star of David being off-limits like the Swastika is.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:28 pm UTC

it's not not knowing that Nazis used the of a star of David, it's not thinking that use of the Star of David brings to mind Nazis.

Yep. I'm going to have to agree. I think you'd be hard pushed to find someone above primary school age anywhere in Europe or America who doesn't have at least a passing familiarity with the existence of the Holocaust, but it would be a misguided person indeed who assumed that the Star of David in any way symbolised naziism.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

lesmith11

Postby lesmith11 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:33 pm UTC

Agreed. I don't think that there is any connotation. However this ...

Invertin wrote:I'm european and I have never heard of this star of david = nazi thing before ever.

...really does sound like they have no knowledge whatsoever of any link between the two.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:39 pm UTC

I suppose it does. Perhaps Invertin could clarify for us? Invertin?

PebblesRox

Postby PebblesRox » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:47 pm UTC

When I was little, my cousin taught me a simpler way of drawing five-pointed stars. You draw a capital A but extend the horizontal stroke out to the sides. Then you just draw the last two lines by connecting the arms to the feet. It's not as fast but it's easier to get it to point in the direction you want and make it symmetrical.

ekolis

Postby ekolis » Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:53 pm UTC

Or, if you'd rather not be Jewish, and would prefer the Hylian religion...

Side note: Anyone else remember the Nintendo DS RTS/RPG hybrid "Lost Magic"? Whoever can't draw a star is not going to do very well at that game... the third level light spell is a star! (And the first level light spell is the sign of the cross...)

edit: fixed img tag
Reading posts on the xkcd forum makes me feel stupid.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”