1037: "Umwelt"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

MenosPan

Re: 1037(?): Umwelt

Postby MenosPan » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:21 pm UTC

[color="cc8899"]So, while at work, I get this:

http://oi44.tinypic.com/mczo21.jpg

I work on a watchfloor for the Navy. My coworkers and I got a great laugh out of it, thank you. Well played XKCD, well played.[/color]

neoliminal

Postby neoliminal » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:07 pm UTC

Crap, it's still here.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0073YYXRC
Read My Book. Cost less than coffee. Will probably keep you awake longer.
[hint, scary!]

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:59 pm UTC

dsty292 wrote:should include nearly every strip Randall made.

You did find a moderate percentage of them! They've all been seen by someone.

SWuh

Postby SWuh » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:17 pm UTC

I am a little sad that I didn't get the one intended for us English folk, but that's life, I guess?
davean wrote:You did find a moderate percentage of them! They've all been seen by someone.
You're going to *have* to stop being so crazy vague or else I might just get quite mad and throw something.

J L

Postby J L » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:32 pm UTC

Azul wrote:I think I found a version no one has posted yet (unless I missed something in the previous pages) ! Seems to be a special version for France, using Firefox browser.
I've been (figuratively) dying to post it here for 2 days, I've even registered to the forum for this reason... but... couldn't find out how you manage to attach images to a post... :? (by the way, could someone tell me how to do that ?)
Anyway, I finally put it in a googledoc : http://tinyurl.com/xkcd-french

Enjoy !

I think it might not be working until you have reached five posts (otherwise, see faq.php#f3r3)

Thanks for the upload, I think this one has been mentioned, but not posted before

keithl

Postby keithl » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:46 pm UTC

førtito wrote:Just wanted to add something that has not been mentioned so far - at least to my knowledge:
The german comic "Charilift" states
June 1948: In response to the soviet
blockade of east germany, the western
allies construct the berlin chairlift.

I don't know if this is a joke but the Soviets never blocked East Germany - why should they? And given they did - why shall the western allies supply East Germany? To get them to love the soviets?

Ok what really happened was the blocking of West Berlin by the Soviets in order to get the western allies out of Berlin. But as you all are educated enough I don't have to say much about it. Was answered by the Western allies by the Berlin Airlift and given up on inefficiency several months later.

Yes, Randal got the "blockade East Germany" part wrong. The Soviets stopped rail and road supplies to west Berlin, in response to the creation of the new Deutschmark. The expected western response was either capitulation and abandoning Berlin, or an armored attack, which might have started World War III. We chose option three.

The Berlin Airlift from June 1948 to April 1949 was a spectacular success, both as a technical/logistics feat and a geopolitical coup. Remember, this was soon after the end of World War II, and many people of the Allied nations still hated Germans and Germany. The German attack on Stalingrad ended up with encirclement and a failed airlift to support 700,000 axis troops, with surrender in February 1943. Berlin held 2.8 million civilians, and the idea that a huge war-ravaged city could be supplied by air was ludicrous. There was much opposition to an Airlift among the American military, including the head of the air force, General Curtis "Bombs Away" LeMay, who favored the military option. President Harry Truman was being hammered on all sides by war hawks, dixiecrats, and appeasement-at-any-cost leftists. The US and its allies seemed very weak and vulnerable.

By some miracle, the airlift was approved, and what could have been a humiliating failure for the west and mass executions for Berlin "collaborators" gained momentum and efficiency as time went on. Not only was NATO shipping food, but volume and efficiency grew to the point that they were shipping coal, vehicles and building materials to West Berlin. The Berlin people energetically unloaded planes, repaired runways and constructed new ones, and committed to rebuilding their city as part of the West. On April 15 1949, the "Easter Parade" delivered almost 13,000 tons of coal, and thereafter air cargo rates exceeded former rail and road deliveries. NATO could have continued the airlift indefinitely.

The rest of Germany and western Europe realized that if NATO could do this for Berlin, capital of the hated Nazis, they could safely commit to the western cause. A blockade that should have brought western Europe into the Soviet sphere instead became a humiliating defeat for the Soviets, and the beginning of the process that ended with the dissolution of the USSR. The people of Berlin, who a few months before hated the Allied terror bombers, came to love the NATO planes and pilots.

An excellent book about the airlift: "The Candy Bombers" by Andrei Cherny.

To me, the biggest miracle was that even though the US and Britain lost 70 airmen, they did not fire a shot. And the biggest tragedy was that the US forgot this; had we shown the same creativity, resourcefulness, and commitment to peaceful but muscular solutions in southeast asia, and the middle east, two bloody and futile conflicts would have become similar massive wins.

Berlin chairlift? In Randall's alternate world, it would have been followed by the Hanoi Snakelift (a tasty delicacy) and the Baghdad Spider-Hole Lift, so the entire Baath party could have gone into permanent hiding underground. Competence and creativity beats conflict. Always look for option three.

ggerrietts

Postby ggerrietts » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:50 pm UTC

The strip identified as #37 in the Google doc is, I think, from Something Positive, not Something Awful.

kimberleybartholomew

Postby kimberleybartholomew » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:52 pm UTC

I'm in London, running Windows 7. On Chrome I get the plugin "Sergey Brin's brain" comic and on IE I get the snake.

How do I see the raptor one?? I want to see the crazy doomed people in the dark!! :D

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:46 pm UTC

SWuh wrote:I am a little sad that I didn't get the one intended for us English folk, but that's life, I guess?
davean wrote:You did find a moderate percentage of them! They've all been seen by someone.
You're going to *have* to stop being so crazy vague or else I might just get quite mad and throw something.

Right, lets try it this way: "You didn't manage to document them all and that isn't because people didn't see them."

Clear enough?

aaronb1138

Postby aaronb1138 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:41 pm UTC

Just a little creepy Randall. Dallas just got hit by a few tornadoes... I live near where one touched down in Arlington. Hopefully no one is hurt.

I thought there was some rule about predictions always needing to be made at least 48 hours in advance.

turvycat

Postby turvycat » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:47 pm UTC

I love this. In Safari on the Mac I get the tunnel of light. Anybody think it might be a reference to the late Steve Jobs?

t.

sanchises

Postby sanchises » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:01 pm UTC

Is it just me, or is the TS violently breaking all xkcd-comic-board rules by not including the full comic and not the entire alt-text? and shouldn't an admin edit the full comic in? :D

Panic

Postby Panic » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:07 pm UTC

I got the comic about the earthquakes and tornadoes in Dallas.

Way to fucking predict the future, dude. :evil:
If a tornado rips our roof off, I'm blaming you, personally.

DaJJHman

Postby DaJJHman » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:54 pm UTC

Funny thing about coincidences,

Here in Dallas we are currently having a large round of Tornadoes and baseball sized hail... I'm personally blaming the stick figure with the black hat.

-J

P.S: it's not ironic, it's coincidental

NeatNit

Postby NeatNit » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:21 pm UTC

sanchises wrote:Is it just me, or is the TS violently breaking all xkcd-comic-board rules by not including the full comic and not the entire alt-text? and shouldn't an admin edit the full comic in? :D

Good point! This situation must be corrected immediately.

Andre(=42)+J

Postby Andre(=42)+J » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:56 pm UTC

Well, well, xkcd definately 42'd it this time. Who would have though, after the 1024 desaster. Awesome multistrip is awesome. i thought i could get at least a few by heading to http://browsershots.org/http://xkcd.com/1037/
But unfortunately ppl already did that. The really sad part is that no one seemed to care about IE6, and i'd bet my donkey on it that it would receive special attention (probably a mushroom cloud or a post-apocalyptic scene :-) ). Now, where to get an XP preSP1 virus magnet activated machine just for the purpose of visiting 1037 (+ a happy ending)?

We really need a full list of all that has been hidden here. Especially for early internet browsers. i also wonder about special combos (referrer, OS, loc, browser, color depth, screen size, window size, screen-window-size-correlation, java, js, flash, shockwave, air, cookies, js cookies, quicktime, real player, windows media, charsets, language settings, ajax, time zone, date/time (vs. actual), but maybe even certain nume combinations in the IP, ping, or traceroute-related things, ...). There might be a jackpot hidden here.

Fledermen64

Postby Fledermen64 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:04 pm UTC

Damn you Randal. Live in Dallas, got this comic on monday.

And check the weather today and find this.

WTH man, personally im all for burnin you at the stake.
"I just want to say before I do this that I have no idea what I'm doing and I love you all very dearly. Ok lets light this bitch and hope for the best"
-Myself before a homemade 4th of July fireworks extravaganza

zwrose

Postby zwrose » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:05 pm UTC

kanraga wrote:From an MIT address, another variation on the Wellesley/Smith comic:
http://img256.imageshack.us/img256/7628/xkcdmit.png

(Course 15 is Economics)

When I read the alt-text, I honestly thought "Umwelt" was referring to how MIT students in different majors perceived the same environment differently, and then I came to the forums and found another layer of recursive meaning. This is the greatest comic.

Have to jump in and correct you here, 15 is Management Science (Economics is 14). At MIT undergrad course 15 is typically the butt of all jokes, as it has a significantly lighter (and usually easier) workload than most of the other majors (related: example course 15 lab: http://lolbeavers.mit.edu/photo/15301-lab-5-bunnies/).

Of course, Course 15 is also the #2 undergrad business program in the US, only behind UPenn, and they tend to as a group go on to make gobs more money than the other majors at MIT, so, they get the last laugh.

wright2john

Postby wright2john » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:39 pm UTC

Umwelt. The Buddha has been saying this for years. As for all the browser discussion; that is the point! (It depends upon your 'sensory input' and, by George, your browser is your sensory input)..

haha01haha01

Postby haha01haha01 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:50 pm UTC

Hey everyone,
I am currently working on compiling all the available comics in an easy-to-view format. You can see the current collection on http://bugale.bplaced.net/xkcd/
if you see a comic not present in my site (very likely atm as I don't have many yet), please visit http://umwelt.xkcd.com/story/ghenkEggov8 (this is the callback page the comic uses to pull data) and post the text that you get, in addition to your location\browser.

killminusnine

Postby killminusnine » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:53 pm UTC

BTW, since I can recall seeing someone post it, in Tor I get the turtle comic. Which I actually thought was appropriate for Tor. Not sure if everyone gets that in Tor, I assume s and that this is by design.

This is goddamn brilliant.

davean
Site Ninja

Postby davean » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:21 am UTC

Andre(=42)+J wrote:The really sad part is that no one seemed to care about IE6, and i'd bet my donkey on it that it would receive special attention (probably a mushroom cloud or a post-apocalyptic scene :-) ). Now, where to get an XP preSP1 virus magnet activated machine just for the purpose of visiting 1037 (+ a happy ending)?

Some browsers got special comics but I can not promote IE even so far as to suggest people look for easter-eggs with it - especially old versions.

Inglonias

Postby Inglonias » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:30 am UTC

I got the one for Germany, despite the fact that I'm in Northern VA.

Why?

rylon

Postby rylon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:03 am UTC

davean wrote:Some browsers got special comics but I can not promote IE even so far as to suggest people look for easter-eggs with it - especially old versions.

Amen to that. It's so weird that MS has started to run IE9 commercials. It wasn't too long ago that IE was so ubiquitous that a TV commercials would be unthinkable. But now there's actually competition in the in the web browser market!

I did use IE to look-up the comic. On Sunday, I went to the Microsoft Store here in San Jose and brought-up the comic on one of the display laptops. I got the Microsoft specific comic about the plug-in not being authorized by corporate. My wife and I left it up as we left the store.

Anyways, this was a great idea. It must have been a nightmare for you to prepare.

bjowen

Postby bjowen » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:22 am UTC

I assumed the "white tunnel" panel was the sun, as seen by the turtle on its back. But I saw the turtle comic first, so that's informed my umwelt, I guess...

(http://imgs.xkcd.com/a1panels/a4a856e1f7316d4a3d94958aace6a6375f20e113a3c8a24cefe07c29a64a0f01.jpg)

Australia,
ff11.0/winXP = turtle / Voight-Kampff
Safari/iOS5.1 = sun / white tunnel

Jave D
chavey-dee

Postby Jave D » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:55 am UTC

The one about seeing "just clouds" in the green cold aurora borealis outdoors is the true comic. It is the only true comic; those other ones you all keep talking about are false comics and the result of evil and delusion. Repent! REPENT.

plumey

Postby plumey » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:14 am UTC

Got the Abraham Lincoln one in Illinois on Chrome, had no idea it was a part of any April Fool's prank until today. Cool!

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:18 am UTC

bjowen wrote:I assumed the "white tunnel" panel was the sun, as seen by the turtle on its back. But I saw the turtle comic first, so that's informed my umwelt, I guess...

(http://imgs.xkcd.com/a1panels/a4a856e1f ... 4a0f01.jpg)

Australia,
ff11.0/winXP = turtle / Voight-Kampff
Safari/iOS5.1 = sun / white tunnel

See, I saw the tunnel as being the thing stuck in the snake, but that is likely as I saw the light at the end of the tunnel image on my mobile (iPhone 3s) and the snake was the second one and most mentioned one.

xPi

Postby xPi » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:25 am UTC

Opera Desktop, aus...

thought it was the moon or the view from the bottom of a well looking up. others are saying its something else. maybe this one is open to interpretation?

tgkyo

Full Length Snake (?)

Postby tgkyo » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:56 am UTC

So I decided to mess with that snake that's been coming up in Firefox for me. I set my screen resolution to 2048x1536. It strained my monitor and I actually had to scroll back and forth to see both ends of my desktop, but what I got was this...
http://s13.postimage.org/93o1901if/snake.jpg

It's the full snake, end to end, and the last slide is actually the mirror opposite of what's happening in the first. Until I find my way to a 2 monitor setup, I can only assume that it's the full image, although the individual slides switch up a bit in between.

Andre(=42)+J

Postby Andre(=42)+J » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:12 am UTC

xPi wrote:Image

Opera Desktop, aus...

thought it was the moon or the view from the bottom of a well looking up. others are saying its something else. maybe this one is open to interpretation?
It's definately Xibalba. i wonder why no one saw it.
:-)

oliphaunt

Postby oliphaunt » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:15 am UTC

keithl wrote:Yes, Randal got the "blockade East Germany" part wrong. The Soviets stopped rail and road supplies to west Berlin, in response to the creation of the new Deutschmark. The expected western response was either capitulation and abandoning Berlin, or an armored attack, which might have started World War III. We chose option three.

[snip detailed story]

Thanks, keithl. Though I guess I knew most of that, it was an interesting read. Always look for option three.
ylno thgir ot tfel morf txet siht daer esaelp

a sandwhich

Postby a sandwhich » Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:32 pm UTC

Has anyone checked the opera browser included with the wii, or the browser on the ds?

al-Mundane

Postby al-Mundane » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:04 pm UTC

In South Louisiana running IE 8, I got this curious image, with the standard "Umwelt is..." hover text:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/a1panels/a9c05975e1b900501bf54666408fe6de5d030a3524f42bc8409d8ec9073bd160.png

I don't post much in these forums, so I guess I'm not on the correct side of the velvet rope to be allowed to show a picture on the internet.

kirbyman62

Postby kirbyman62 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:50 pm UTC

In Northampton, England, I get the one about him not being able to make jokes about England on Firefox.

On my phone, I get a triangle in an exclamation mark saying "Data Error: T-Mobile was unable to establish a connection". T-Mobile is my mobile provider (it also fails to establish a connection all the time, so I laughed).

AislinKageno

Postby AislinKageno » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:59 pm UTC

Andre(=42)+J wrote:
xPi wrote:Image

Opera Desktop, aus...

It's definately Xibalba. i wonder why no one saw it.
:-)

Snap, you're right!

I didn't actually get this one on my browsers, but when I saw it, I thought it was the Ring.
<insert awesome signature here!>

stickler

Postby stickler » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:14 pm UTC

AislinKageno wrote: I thought it was the Ring.

That was my thought, but I don't think it is as it looked diffrent here : http://xkcd.com/396/
I think its the most basic Umwelt idea. Its something simple that looks diffrent depending on your perception, more specificaly the movies you have seen.

J L

Postby J L » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:32 pm UTC

haha01haha01 wrote:Hey everyone,
I am currently working on compiling all the available comics in an easy-to-view format. You can see the current collection on http://bugale.bplaced.net/xkcd/
if you see a comic not present in my site (very likely atm as I don't have many yet), please visit http://umwelt.xkcd.com/story/ghenkEggov8 (this is the callback page the comic uses to pull data) and post the text that you get, in addition to your location\browser.

That's great! You might want to compare that to dsty292's list at http://tinyurl.com/UnweltXKCD -- I think there are a few more of them.

SecondTalon
SexyTalon

Postby SecondTalon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:02 pm UTC

al-Mundane wrote:I don't post much in these forums, so I guess I'm not on the correct side of the velvet rope to be allowed to show a picture on the internet.

That was your first post on the forums. You do not have a long enough track record for anyone, including yourself, to make a judgement about whether or not you tend to post frequently or infrequently.

Also, rules thread will explain why you can't post an image.
heuristically_alone wrote:I want to write a DnD campaign and play it by myself and DM it myself.
heuristically_alone wrote:I have been informed that this is called writing a book.

postmanphobia

overseas

Postby postmanphobia » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:45 pm UTC

I have to say, this is genius, simple little adjustments for all these different locations/browsers/settings. I have been a follower for probly a couple years now, and never made a forum account til today. currently overseas, and in an identical situation to what pops up for us over here. Though the laptop connected to the system doesn't have internet, the one next to it was on xkcd:) nail on the head....printed it off and posted it next to the radar screen(not missiles...rockets and mortars and artillery though lol) Glorious!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”