####: "Ten Thousand"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

danielkwalsh

####: "Ten Thousand"

Postby danielkwalsh » Mon May 07, 2012 9:53 am UTC

I noticed a comic called "Ten Thousand" that was only briefly online, which can be found here http://i.imgur.com/Jk1Y9.png?1

It was quickly removed. If you think about what is argued in this comic, you will realize that the number of people he quotes is actually the expected average number of people in the US to learn a PARTICULAR new thing (such as the Coke and Mentos trick). There are millions of things a person should know by 30. Therefore, it is actually much more likely that you find someone who is learning something new today than what this comic suggests. In fact, this is no surprise, as I hear someone learning something new (but considered common knowledge) quite frequently.

I suppose Randall realized his mistake after positing it, and quickly took it down to avoid embarrassment, speedily replacing it with the newest comic: http://xkcd.com/1052/

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Re: ####: "Ten Thousand"

Postby Felstaff » Mon May 07, 2012 10:12 am UTC

Just looks like the wrong one went up, then came down. Has happened a few times.

Like this one, which is the funniest thing I've ever seen:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/cow_neutrality.png
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

Zamfir
I built a novelty castle, the irony was lost on some.

Postby Zamfir » Mon May 07, 2012 10:26 am UTC

If 404s are the funniest thing for you, you must be leading a life of bliss. Like having liquid XTC on tap.

NeatNit

Postby NeatNit » Mon May 07, 2012 10:30 am UTC

Felstaff wrote:Just looks like the wrong one went up, then came down. Has happened a few times.

You are evil.

The comic, as mentioned, was this:
(just [img]'d the one in the OP)

alt text was: Saying 'what kind of an idiot doesn't know about the Yellowstone supervolacon?' is so much more boring than telling someone about the Yellowstone supervolcano for the first time.

Now I want to see some cow neutrality.

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Mon May 07, 2012 11:14 am UTC

The comic itself doesn't seem to be a mistake, the wording tracks through; although, I won't even attempt to check the math, as it's the idea that's important and the numbers are just an approximate scale to wrap your head around, given the abstract nature of wrapping head's around unfeasibly-countable things. But just because some abstract concepts yield extravagantly complex systems, that shouldn't dissuade us from thinking about those concepts in ways that we can derive some benefit ... such as taking opportunities to teach and learn, rather than boast and mock.

I guess the lesson here is about choices of opportunity ... to oversimplify a simple comic.

teelo

Postby teelo » Mon May 07, 2012 11:19 am UTC

Fraction [blah blah]: [blah] percent

Wait what?

Dr Zoidberg

Postby Dr Zoidberg » Mon May 07, 2012 11:29 am UTC

teelo wrote:Fraction [blah blah]: [blah] percent

Wait what?

% is a symbol that means 'percent', which in turn means 'per one hundred'.
So 0% is 0/100, which is a fraction, and 100% is 100/100, which is also a fraction.

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Mon May 07, 2012 11:50 am UTC

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Wait what?

So 0% is 0/100, which is a fraction, and 100% is 100/100, which is also a fraction.

Likewise, [blah blah] represents 1 divided by 1 divided by [blah].
So when you say [blah], you're also saying [blah blah], at the same time ... just, not in so many words.

JediMaster012

Postby JediMaster012 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:22 pm UTC

Since it's talking about people hearing things for the first time, I wonder if it was intentionally put up for only ~1 day. It could make sense that now we have some fraction of the xkcd fanbase hearing about it for the first time each day.

SlyReaper
inflatable

Postby SlyReaper » Mon May 07, 2012 12:32 pm UTC

Dr Zoidberg wrote:

Wait what?

I doubt that's what he was confused about. You know, unless he's one of today's 10,000.
What would Baron Harkonnen do?

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:45 pm UTC

So, the strip implies that by age 30, you will know everything.
Either that, or I'm misinterpreting it. *shrug*
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon May 07, 2012 7:30 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:So, the strip implies that by age 30, you will know everything.

No, it implies that, of those things which everyone knows by age 30, given birth rates, 10,000 people learn each of those things each day (because that's the rate of new learning required for the rate of new people to learn them all by age of 30).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Mon May 07, 2012 7:46 pm UTC

The ~ character is often used to mean "approximately". So knowledge at age 30 is approximately 100% of things that "everyone knows".

If the actual value was 50%, then it would only be 5000 people per day instead of 10000, which would have no significant impact on the point other than it being a less pretty number.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

cjmcjmcjmcjm

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon May 07, 2012 9:51 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:Just looks like the wrong one went up, then came down. Has happened a few times.

My favourite regularly published comic is #404
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.

whateveries

Postby whateveries » Mon May 07, 2012 11:26 pm UTC

SpringLoaded12 wrote:So, the strip implies that by age 30, you will know everything.

This is true, at the precise moment of the 30th anniversery of your birth you have a revelation, everything becomes clear, all knowledge is yours, but within nanoseconds the awareness is gone leaving little more than a strong desire for another alcoholic beverage and a vague sexual arousal that slowly diminishes over the next thirty years. The nly other time in your life when you even come close to knowing it all is your teens.
it's fine.

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Tue May 08, 2012 12:37 am UTC

whateveries wrote:The only other time in your life when you even come close to knowing it all is your teens.

But if you think you know it all, don't you actually know it all, on some level?
Spoiler:
Only if you interpret the two uses of "know it all" with different meanings.

Supposing the idea that everything exists, isn't one thought of omniscience predicated upon omniscience?
Spoiler:
Yes, but not necessarily manifest in any entity, to include the thinker.

Regardless, if someone believes that they know everything, then what is left to teach them?
Spoiler:
That they don't.

... there's a reason we all grow out of it.

maydayp

Postby maydayp » Tue May 08, 2012 1:37 am UTC

I just wanted to say that this comic really meant something to me, and I hope at some later date it gets reposted.

Corrado

Postby Corrado » Tue May 08, 2012 3:36 am UTC

I interpreted it as adult = Age 30 and that by that point there's an assumption that those things that "Everyone knows" (such as the phrase "Jump the Shark" being a reference to Happy Days) will be known to you.

Dobblesworth
Dobblesworth, here's the title you requested over three years ago. -Banana

Postby Dobblesworth » Tue May 08, 2012 5:48 am UTC

Took me multiple re-reads in the process of typing this reply to get the tracking right on the top text box in the second panel.
If anyone else needs it clearing up, [[He's giving a conjecture of the plausible other situation where he ridicules them, meaning in future they don't come out with their new naive moments and as a result he misses out on the enjoyment of teaching]]

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Tue May 08, 2012 8:12 am UTC

I hope so; I turn 30 shortly after my final exams.

My :? was over the adult = 30. But I guess adult = 18 or 21 wouldn't have generated a power of 10.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Tue May 08, 2012 10:31 am UTC

Forget that, we learn stuff we should've known years ago everyday.

Laurie Anderson - O Superman

How did I miss this until now?

Goozim King

Re: 1053: "Ten Thousand"

Postby Goozim King » Wed May 09, 2012 4:19 am UTC

Well, it's up now. Between 1052 and 1053, I think Randall has been making some great comics lately.

Sandor

Postby Sandor » Wed May 09, 2012 4:41 am UTC

VectorZero wrote:My :? was over the adult = 30. But I guess adult = 18 or 21 wouldn't have generated a power of 10.

The age you pick doesn't matter in the calculation - the 10,000 is just the approximate number of births per day in the US.

Also, I see this comic is now up as 1053, so someone needs to fix the thread's title.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Wed May 09, 2012 4:47 am UTC

And to resubmit my comment from last thread:

"And this explains the reposting from r/TIL"

We are the 0.01%!

and other references.

Hi Joee.

I like how our overload changed the song-comic to Monday. I hope that was so people had a nice Monday. I like to think nice things.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Wed May 09, 2012 4:49 am UTC

So can we get the original thread from 12:02am on Monday about this comic reinstated?
wee free kings

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed May 09, 2012 10:22 am UTC

So since this comic was posted in the forum before it was posted on the site, it is describing it's own discovery by users not checking the forum... *MIND BLOWN*
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed May 09, 2012 5:24 pm UTC

I still think this thread was posted first and should be the official one. The title should be edited of course.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

EpicanicusStrikes
Random Boners = True Attraction

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Wed May 09, 2012 5:57 pm UTC

Corrado wrote:
SpringLoaded12 wrote:... such as the phrase "Jump the Shark" being a reference to Happy Days...

I want to know why it's not Jump the Garbage Cans. They scripted the exact same stunt in Al's parking lot long before trying it at the beach. That one even had the cliffhanger of Fonzie crashing at the end. Yet it's always the shark that gets the attention.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed May 09, 2012 5:59 pm UTC

Роберт wrote:I still think this thread was posted first and should be the official one. The title should be edited of course.

This post is in the incorrect format. The OP doesn't have the comic, nor the alt text, for example.
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

rileyrulesu

Postby rileyrulesu » Wed May 09, 2012 7:13 pm UTC

Do you have a working link of this?

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Wed May 09, 2012 7:18 pm UTC

JimsMaher wrote:
whateveries wrote:The only other time in your life when you even come close to knowing it all is your teens.

But if you think you know it all, don't you actually know it all, on some level?
Spoiler:
Only if you interpret the two uses of "know it all" with different meanings.

Supposing the idea that everything exists, isn't one thought of omniscience predicated upon omniscience?
Spoiler:
Yes, but not necessarily manifest in any entity, to include the thinker.

Regardless, if someone believes that they know everything, then what is left to teach them?
Spoiler:
That they don't.

... there's a reason we all grow out of it.

If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Роберт

Postby Роберт » Wed May 09, 2012 7:23 pm UTC

Yakk wrote:
Роберт wrote:I still think this thread was posted first and should be the official one. The title should be edited of course.

This post is in the incorrect format. The OP doesn't have the comic, nor the alt text, for example.

It's not really the OP's fault, and it should be edited, of course.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Kitutal

Postby Kitutal » Wed May 09, 2012 9:52 pm UTC

EpicanicusStrikes wrote:
Corrado wrote:
SpringLoaded12 wrote:... such as the phrase "Jump the Shark" being a reference to Happy Days...

I want to know why it's not Jump the Garbage Cans. They scripted the exact same stunt in Al's parking lot long before trying it at the beach. That one even had the cliffhanger of Fonzie crashing at the end. Yet it's always the shark that gets the attention.

but that was the point where they did something impressively dramatic for no real reason, that went entirely against the character and plot development of the preceding episodes, just because it looked good and would attract attention. It simply didn't fit in with the direction the show seemed to be moving then.

esmeyny

Postby esmeyny » Wed May 09, 2012 10:35 pm UTC

I love this cartoon.

The only one that was more memorable was the one about Spirit.

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Thu May 10, 2012 3:08 am UTC

eran_rathan wrote:If you meet the Buddha on the road, kill him.

I've heard that before, but always dismissed it as wonk, and thought the response should be a simple " No. "
After the internet "enlightened" me as to its "true" meaning ... I still think it's a bit wonky.

Yes, drastically flying in the face of reason can lead to a better understanding of that very same reason.
However, it is not pertinent to question without a system to base answers on.
Unless you buy into the premise that there are no answers, only more questions (which is a system in and of itself).
Which leads to a more thorough definition of "question".
That is to say, " Buddha says 'what' ? " ... which should be the proper response, if memory permits.

Retsam

Postby Retsam » Thu May 10, 2012 5:26 am UTC

I really like the message of today's xkcd. It's better to encourage people's learning rather than mocking them for their ignorance.

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Thu May 10, 2012 8:08 am UTC

Sandor wrote:
VectorZero wrote:My :? was over the adult = 30. But I guess adult = 18 or 21 wouldn't have generated a power of 10.
The age you pick doesn't matter in the calculation - the 10,000 is just the approximate number of births per day in the US
True. However, 30*365=10,950. If this wasn't relevant, why mention 30 at all?
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu May 10, 2012 8:55 am UTC

There are about as many days in 30 years as there are people born in the US every day, so if the rate of learning "everything everyone knows by the time they're 30" is uniformly distributed, then one member of every cohort will finish learning "everything..." every day. And your educational insight could top them off!

Of course this implies that one of those lucky newborns learns everything they'll need to know over the next 30 years the day after he was born, so that's rather unlikely...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

wacky_doodle

Postby wacky_doodle » Thu May 10, 2012 12:17 pm UTC

Could it just be Randall is saying, rather than mock the person ("Oh me yarm, I can't believe you've never heard X!), it's much friendlier to say "Oh wow, then let me show you X!"?

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Thu May 10, 2012 12:54 pm UTC

wacky_doodle wrote:Could it just be Randall is saying, rather than mock the person ("Gee Willikers, I can't believe you've never heard X!), it's much friendlier to say "Oh wow, then let me show you X!"?

Yes, only his version is a different spin on that classic version (the one everyone already knows).

"If I make fun of people, I train them not to tell me when they have those moments. And I miss out on the fun."
, or another way of putting it:

His observation is:
"[Negative action], [consequence] that leads to the absence of [opportunity]."
... and his argument is that:
Those [opportunities] are indeed positive.

An interesting tack at that, of course, we all tend to simplify our experiences and distill them into things we're familiar with.
It's psychological, basically that: why should we consider something as new if it is similar enough to something already known?
Or we could explain the difference with: he has to be clever, it's his job.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”