1055: "Kickstarter"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

bhoot

Postby bhoot » Mon May 14, 2012 4:04 am UTC

Title Text: If you pledge more than $50 you'll get on the VIP list and have first dibs on a slot on ANY of the pledge levels in the actual campaign.

I didn't know people still used kickstarter.

LesZedD4

Postby LesZedD4 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:05 am UTC

Title Text: If you pledge more than $50 you'll get on the VIP list and have first dibs on a slot on ANY of the pledge levels in the actual campaign.

This is appropriately timed. I was just reading about this on Hacker News just today...

VectorZero

Re: 1055: "Kickstarter"

Postby VectorZero » Mon May 14, 2012 4:14 am UTC

I first read the title text, misreading VIP as VP and thought it was going to be a Kickstarter for Mitt Romney's presidential campaign.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon May 14, 2012 4:14 am UTC

I dub thee, winner.

This reminds me of the guy who created a kickstarter to buy kickstarter.

Also, I didn't think you could have a 90 day project, the max is 60.

rhomboidal

Postby rhomboidal » Mon May 14, 2012 4:17 am UTC

I think this is how half the web got started.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon May 14, 2012 4:21 am UTC

inb4yodawgkickception.
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

player_03

Postby player_03 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:23 am UTC

I can certainly imagine large companies being able to set up more impressive Kickstarter campaigns than most people could on their own.

But on the other hand, videos made on shoestring budget can still go viral. Why would Kickstarter campaigns be any different?

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon May 14, 2012 4:24 am UTC

Maybe it's just me, but I don't know what Kickstarter is (and therefore this is sort of lost on me besides the fact that Black Hat Guy is in the video and therefore I know something interesting is going to happen).

Someone care to elaborate?

Odd_nonposter

Postby Odd_nonposter » Mon May 14, 2012 4:32 am UTC

All I got out of it was recursive humor.

Spoiler:
He's campaigning for donations to fund a better campaign for donations.
CorruptUser wrote:Religions are like genitalia. It's OK to have them, but don't whip them out in public, don't argue about whose is better, and keep them away from my kids.

reminiscence-tbp

Postby reminiscence-tbp » Mon May 14, 2012 4:35 am UTC

SO META

[username]

Postby [username] » Mon May 14, 2012 4:36 am UTC

Randall. Get the hell out of my head.
Duck.

cjdrum's the ghost: [username] but a host!
For the secrets of my old avatar, click here!

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon May 14, 2012 4:41 am UTC

Damn, the "ception" joke was made already.

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Mon May 14, 2012 4:43 am UTC

Cal Engime

Postby Cal Engime » Mon May 14, 2012 4:48 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I don't know what Kickstarter is (and therefore this is sort of lost on me besides the fact that Black Hat Guy is in the video and therefore I know something interesting is going to happen).

Kickstarter.com is a site to raise funds to reprint your series of D&D-themed comic books, develop a video game about the Ronpaul, finish post-production on your low-budget movie about Osama bin Laden coming back as a zombie, or whatever (all real projects, all successful). If the project doesn't meet its goal, the whole thing is cancelled and no one is charged, so you know your donation will make a difference. Also, you can offer rewards for different pledge levels.

Airbuilder7

Postby Airbuilder7 » Mon May 14, 2012 4:51 am UTC

I keep impulsively clicking the play-video-square, and no HTML5 goodness occurs.

*twitch*

*twitch*

duefiori

Postby duefiori » Mon May 14, 2012 4:53 am UTC

Thank deities, I'm not the only dumbhead that clicked (repeatedly) the start-video triangle.

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Mon May 14, 2012 5:22 am UTC

whateveries

Postby whateveries » Mon May 14, 2012 5:36 am UTC

and growing tired of vandalising wikipedia by proxy he casts his eye upon something more deserving...
it's fine.

lingomaniac88

Postby lingomaniac88 » Mon May 14, 2012 5:37 am UTC

Did anybody else try clicking the "play video" button in the comic?
"It is common sense to take a method and try it. If it fails, admit it frankly and try another. But above all, try something."
-- Franklin D. Roosevelt

Footnotes

Postby Footnotes » Mon May 14, 2012 5:52 am UTC

Isn't this basically a pyramid scheme? He gets money from them and uses it to recruit more people to give him money, while skimming some off the top.

Whys

Postby Whys » Mon May 14, 2012 5:57 am UTC

You have to click the video twice. The first time just opens a LiveJasmine window.

Wooloomooloo

Postby Wooloomooloo » Mon May 14, 2012 6:19 am UTC

Whys wrote:You have to click the video twice. The first time just opens a LiveJasmine window.

...which is why one should simply copy the URL instead of clicking on it, decode it base64 and go to the site directly. ...Oh, wait. Nevermind, I have no idea what I'm talking about, yes? Good.

karanj

Postby karanj » Mon May 14, 2012 6:28 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I don't know what Kickstarter is (and therefore this is sort of lost on me besides the fact that Black Hat Guy is in the video and therefore I know something interesting is going to happen).

http://kickstarter.com/

aerogen42

Postby aerogen42 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:49 am UTC

I'm going to make a kickstart campaing so I can make a blog where I will put up a comic that will mock the "xkcd sucks sucks sucks sucks" take of the "xkcd sucks sucks sucks" take of the "xkcd sucks sucks" take of the "xkcd sucks" criticism of the comic where Randall imagines a kickstart campaing to fund a kickstart campaing.

Time Kitten

Postby Time Kitten » Mon May 14, 2012 7:02 am UTC

Wouldn't the increse in the popularity of Kickstarter not just increse the number of kickstarts, but the number of people donating to kickstarts?

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Mon May 14, 2012 7:42 am UTC

Time Kitten wrote:Wouldn't the increse in the popularity of Kickstarter not just increse the number of kickstarts, but the number of people donating to kickstarts?

There are more people who want money than people who are willing to give money.

'); DROP TABLE users;

Postby '); DROP TABLE users; » Mon May 14, 2012 8:43 am UTC

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kickstarter

VectorZero wrote:I first read the title text, misreading VIP as VP and thought it was going to be a Kickstarter for Mitt Romney's presidential campaign.

Why would you read title-text first? It usually references the comic itself, and often actually follows on as the next line of dialogue or narration after the strip.

WilCSUN

Postby WilCSUN » Mon May 14, 2012 8:56 am UTC

It will be interesting to see how the various crowd funding projects launched through Kickstarter pan out.
I'm not aware of any projects that were successfully funded and have already come to fruition (and I've not done a speck of research to find any), but it will be interesting to see what kind of final goods and services are produced.

I'm really excited about the DoubleFine Adventure game project, and Republique, and I'm certainly going to buy my copies when they're out on the market, but I really do wonder if this will become a suitable alternative to more traditional marketing and funding techniques.

What I'm really interested in though, is finding the first colossal failure.
Not a fake Kickstarter (which some have already been exposed) but a legitimate effort by a legitimate organization, that gets completely funded, but falls flat on it's face.
Might take the wind out of this whole phenomenon.

Daimon

Postby Daimon » Mon May 14, 2012 9:03 am UTC

Wait, "T'u" be able to?

madjo

Postby madjo » Mon May 14, 2012 9:59 am UTC

duefiori wrote:Thank deities, I'm not the only dumbhead that clicked (repeatedly) the start-video triangle.

I didn't think to click on it. What if Randal had put something under there, I'd have missed it!
I'll start clicking on those start video triangles from now on.
:)

You are carrying:
- a slightly paranoid Android
- two left feet (not my own)
- a still unfed and very hungry hippo
- broadsword of +5 ridiculousness stained with the blood of the undead souls
- a stetson Resistol, cuz stetson Resistols are cool.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Mon May 14, 2012 10:23 am UTC

I think that xkcd trending with other web comics to satire the same idea is lame. Especially since this one was extremely less funny than the PA comic that beat 'em to the punch:
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Primis

Postby Primis » Mon May 14, 2012 11:02 am UTC

Dear Randal,
GET OUT OF MY HEAD
Sincerely,
The guy who just started a kickstarter last night
Key Fingerprint: 49A8 7E39 87C1 DFB2 B0EB F7F4 1235 F2BB 9442 E47F
PhoenixRising wrote:What is this sleep you speak of? There is only the castle. All must yield to the castle.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Mon May 14, 2012 11:26 am UTC

madjo wrote:
duefiori wrote:Thank deities, I'm not the only dumbhead that clicked (repeatedly) the start-video triangle.

I didn't think to click on it. What if Randal had put something under there, I'd have missed it!
I'll start clicking on those start video triangles from now on.
I was just about to ask whether anybody hadn't clicked on the triangle.

I expect you're the only one, who didn't, though...
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

sohmc

Postby sohmc » Mon May 14, 2012 11:41 am UTC

Eutychus wrote:
madjo wrote:
duefiori wrote:I was just about to ask whether anybody hadn't clicked on the triangle.

I didn't click it but I did mouse-over it to see if it was clickable. Has a bit disappointed, but also relieved, that it didn't become animated.

Kredal

Postby Kredal » Mon May 14, 2012 12:39 pm UTC

WilCSUN wrote:It will be interesting to see how the various crowd funding projects launched through Kickstarter pan out.
I'm not aware of any projects that were successfully funded and have already come to fruition (and I've not done a speck of research to find any), but it will be interesting to see what kind of final goods and services are produced.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sjbrown/boardcrafting

This one was for a very nice wooden Catan board... One of the lower tiers was for the digital files so I could get the tiles made myself with a friend with a laser cutter. It was sent out like a week after it was 100% funded. The actual boards and such are still being sent out, and most of them have been sent. He didn't just run off with the money, it just takes time to get stuff done. (:

A couple other things I've kickstarted *should* have sent rewards by now, but haven't... I'm not holding my breath too hard though.

And then there's the Pebble watch. I *SOOOOO* hope they actually send me my watch somewhere close to the timeline they're predicting, just because it looks so cool.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Mon May 14, 2012 1:01 pm UTC

Funny enough considering I just found an online show I like that was make by kickstarter and that I want to support.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Mon May 14, 2012 1:02 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:I think that xkcd trending with other web comics to satire the same idea is lame. Especially since this one was extremely less funny than the PA comic that beat 'em to the punch

If you ignore the fact that it's two completely different jokes, I guess?

PS: I have a musician friend that uses Kickstarter successfully, so I like it.
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

VanI

Postby VanI » Mon May 14, 2012 1:19 pm UTC

Eutychus wrote:I was just about to ask whether anybody hadn't clicked on the triangle.

I really wanted to, but then I saw the bottom right corner was a little out of square. The bad thing is, when I looked away, the urge kept coming back, because the deviation is too slight to spot in my peripheral vision. It's scary how Pavlovian that little white triangle in a black rectangle can make us.
I swear, a fireball lied to me just the other day...

scaredyfish

Postby scaredyfish » Mon May 14, 2012 1:21 pm UTC

WilCSUN wrote:I'm not aware of any projects that were successfully funded and have already come to fruition (and I've not done a speck of research to find any), but it will be interesting to see what kind of final goods and services are produced.

Several board game projects seem to have been successfully funded, printed and shipped over the last couple of years (and there are several current such projects that I'm at risk of spending money on) :)

Cal Engime wrote:Kickstarter.com is a site to raise funds to reprint your series of D&D-themed comic books,

Yep, backed that one :lol:

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Mon May 14, 2012 1:47 pm UTC

VanI wrote:
Eutychus wrote:I was just about to ask whether anybody hadn't clicked on the triangle.

I really wanted to, but then I saw the bottom right corner was a little out of square. The bad thing is, when I looked away, the urge kept coming back, because the deviation is too slight to spot in my peripheral vision. It's scary how Pavlovian that little white triangle in a black rectangle can make us.

Agreed. I smiled and wanted to laugh that my first instinct was to try clicking it, despite the fact that I'm reading this on break, at work, on computers that block video. I knew I was destined to fail and still tried it anyway.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”