1056: "Felidae"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

whateveries

Re: 1056: Felidae

Postby whateveries » Wed May 16, 2012 9:57 pm UTC

Seli wrote:
Muscleguy wrote:The coolest badass latin name has to be Vampiroteuthis infernalis, what could be badder than the vampire squid from hell?

Well, there is the recently describes wasp species Nanocthulhu lovecrafti.

also the spider Pimoa cthulhu and with that might I suggest Apple move to an arachnid flavoured naming convention. or a Lovecraft naming convention.
OS X Cthulhu.
it's fine.

bobdc

Postby bobdc » Wed May 16, 2012 10:10 pm UTC

It's hard to come up a more badass genus/species name than "Gorilla Gorilla."

Starlight

Postby Starlight » Wed May 16, 2012 11:05 pm UTC

"In order of who would win in a fight" should be the official ordering method for scientific publications. Also, I hear that's how they decide how to spend the last of each year's grant money.

jpk

Postby jpk » Wed May 16, 2012 11:11 pm UTC

You know, cute is just not really doing it for me any more. I could be fine with it if they went back to numbers. It would be easier to remember, and less stupid to boot.

whateveries

Postby whateveries » Thu May 17, 2012 12:37 am UTC

jpk wrote:You know, cute is just not really doing it for me any more. I could be fine with it if they went back to numbers. It would be easier to remember, and less stupid to boot.

Shame on you, there is NO room in this world for less stupidity.
it's fine.

matt122009

Postby matt122009 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:44 am UTC

OS X Jaguarundi?

Whatev

Postby Whatev » Thu May 17, 2012 12:50 am UTC

When the Germans encountered this problem, they solved it by naming their next iteration... the mouse.

JustDoug

Postby JustDoug » Thu May 17, 2012 12:53 am UTC

jpk wrote:You know, cute is just not really doing it for me any more. I could be fine with it if they went back to numbers. It would be easier to remember, and less stupid to boot.

In the case of OS X, you've got it both ways. Say, "Tiger" and most Mac people will know you're referring to 10.4 and so on. It's only a problem when people start tryng to compare it directly to naming/numbering schemes used by [Li|U]nix or MS.

Personally, I'm interested in seeing what they pick for nicknames when OS 11 rolls out.

jpk

Postby jpk » Thu May 17, 2012 1:03 am UTC

JustDoug wrote:

In the case of OS X, you've got it both ways. Say, "Tiger" and most Mac people will know you're referring to 10.4 and so on. It's only a problem when people start tryng to compare it directly to naming/numbering schemes used by [Li|U]nix or MS.

I'm the other way around. I know I'm at 10.6.8, but I have no idea what cat that relates to.

Personally, I'm interested in seeing what they pick for nicknames when OS 11 rolls out.

They've got so much invested in being "OSX" at this point, I don't think they'll ever move to 11. That would destroy the whole effort.

Mercurywoodrose

Postby Mercurywoodrose » Thu May 17, 2012 1:21 am UTC

Apple could go with Mythological felines, such as Bakeneko, Lamassu, Sekhmet, Sphinx, or Bast. maybe even Chimera (way too cool for school). but I prefer Toonces, the driving cat. dont we want to os to not need added drivers...

Iranon

Postby Iranon » Thu May 17, 2012 6:27 am UTC

I think Apple will call it OS X and go with the kitten theme as long as it is a certified and recognisable (if weird) Unix.

They may change if it's time for Desktop iOS, which may be soon given the tablet-friendly developments in Windows 8 and some free Desktop Enviornments. Apple is good at watching troubled efforts at innovation by its competitors, then roll out something very polished quickly because they have better control of the environment (hardware, OS and bundled applications, interface guidelines for 3rd party applications, marketing clout to sway users otherwise resistant to change).
LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single unified theme, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Thu May 17, 2012 8:04 am UTC

Wake up sheeple! The whole of xkcd has been an elaborate set-up by Apple to focus-group future OSX names! You are being used! </conspiracytheory>

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Thu May 17, 2012 9:05 am UTC

cream wobbly wrote:Or maybe just go with types of snark; i.e., "Doesn't suck", "Awesomely great", "Your mom", etc.
Nah. "Your mom" sucks.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

The Moomin

Postby The Moomin » Thu May 17, 2012 10:37 am UTC

San Fran Sam wrote:
deldryden wrote:
glasnt wrote:Just start using cute cat names.

MAC OSX Nyan!

Mac OS X Fluffy!

Mac OS X Bagpuss!

When Bagpuss goes to sleep, all the programs go to sleep . . .

Incidentally, Bagpuss returns about 785k search results.
I'm alive because the cats are alive.
The cats are alive because I'm alive.
Specious.

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Thu May 17, 2012 11:39 am UTC

shpoffo wrote:Apple needs to Think Different....
OS X : Wolverine

This is their weaponized OS X, amirite?
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

willpellmn

Postby willpellmn » Thu May 17, 2012 1:36 pm UTC

Whys wrote:Move up the food chain. What eats cats? :]

Somehow I don't think OSX Chinaman would sell very well in the international markets....

shpoffo wrote:Apple needs to Think Different....
    Displacer Beast
    Sabertooth
    Bakeneko

OSX Shisha?

rawshark

Postby rawshark » Thu May 17, 2012 1:57 pm UTC

theres always Liger, or Jaglion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panthera_hybrid

adding adjec^H^H^H^H^Htemplates also works. Cybernetic mutant dire jagleopard?

wisty

Postby wisty » Thu May 17, 2012 4:25 pm UTC

Presumably the next one will be "Clouded Leopard" (with more iCloud stuff). Then, they'll start merging it with iOS. Then they can just give it the same version number as the iOS (i.e. iOS 6.X for desktop), to keep up with the "merging the desktop and phone" marketing.

SpringLoaded12

Postby SpringLoaded12 » Thu May 17, 2012 8:50 pm UTC

I'm still getting over the fact that Dracorex hogwartsia is a real thing.
"It's easy to forget what a sin is in the middle of a battlefield." "Opposite over hypotenuse, dipshit."

Hotchy

Postby Hotchy » Thu May 17, 2012 11:55 pm UTC

How do you titillate an ocelot?
You oscillate its tit a lot!

Boom, boom!

lunar

Postby lunar » Fri May 18, 2012 2:20 am UTC

VanI wrote:
Omegaton wrote:I guess I'm the only one bothered by him using "genuses" and not "genera."

No, you are not. Just the first to - rightly - complain about it; just as I am the first to - again rightly - complain about split infinitives.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/7-commonly-corrected-grammar-errors-that-arent-mistakes_p2/

ProphetZarquon

Postby ProphetZarquon » Fri May 18, 2012 3:32 am UTC

OS X: LOLcat

Boxed version comes with "OLED Retina display" on disposable packaging.

Re: OS XI, o' sxy? OS 11 looks dumb. Go sexy or skip to OS12.

jpk

Postby jpk » Fri May 18, 2012 4:15 am UTC

ProphetZarquon wrote:OS X: LOLcat

Boxed version comes with "OLED Retina display" on disposable packaging.

Re: OS XI, o' sxy? OS 11 looks dumb. Go sexy or skip to OS12.

What about OS B?

serutan

Postby serutan » Fri May 18, 2012 4:48 am UTC

Given the nerd/geek concentration in this forum, I am astonished that 'Schroedinger cat' hasn't been brought up yet...
For a sentient herbivore, discretion is the only part of valor. - Larry Niven

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri May 18, 2012 5:39 am UTC

serutan wrote:Given the nerd/geek concentration in this forum, I am astonished that 'Schroedinger cat' hasn't been brought up yet...
I wanted to, I just couldn't think of a way to present him in a humorous manner. Like Nyan Cat.

jpk

Postby jpk » Fri May 18, 2012 5:53 am UTC

serutan wrote:Given the nerd/geek concentration in this forum, I am astonished that 'Schroedinger cat' hasn't been brought up yet...

It has. Several times.

wknt3

Postby wknt3 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:22 am UTC

jpk wrote:

It has. Several times.

I'm pretty sure you're both right. Of course I haven't checked...

Paul_012

Postby Paul_012 » Fri May 18, 2012 8:30 am UTC

Anyone noticed that the comic's been changed so the vertical axis now reads "genera"?

jedi

Postby jedi » Fri May 18, 2012 2:04 pm UTC

There are a lot more real felid names than have already been mentioned:
Kodkod
margay
colocolo
jaguarundi
catopuma (2 species!)
otocolobus
iriomote cat
profelis (Profelis aurata, African golden cat)
and
Homotherium serum (Scimitar-toothed cat)

Does a scimitar beat a saber?

cptjeff

Postby cptjeff » Fri May 18, 2012 3:11 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:Hmmm. Maybe the next version should be vaporware, allowing them to adopt "Sphinx," opening up a segue into all sorts of mythological beasties? Operating system Wyvern, or Manitcore anyone?

IMO, this is actually a really good suggestion.

zenter wrote:
VanI wrote:Argh. Too slow on my first opportunity for the first post!

Am I the only one who thinks that "mountain lion" is pretty lame in comparison to ALL of "panther", "puma", and "cougar"?

You are not. I think panther wins this game as coolest name of well-known cats. Funnily enough, back before OS X rolled around, my college used to name all of its servers with cat names, including the less-well-known serval. Don't know if they still do...

Seriously, nobody thought of that one?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri May 18, 2012 7:10 pm UTC

Why all the emphasis on making some kind of unnoticeable segue from cat names to something else? They've switched from colors (Blue = System 7, Pink = never released aka Taligent, Red = System 8) to music (System Mac OS 8 changed from Red to Copland, Mac OS 9 was to be Gershwin, those were scrapped and Mac OS 7.6 became Harmony, 7.7 8 became Tempo, 7.8 8.5 became Allego, and 7.9 9 became Sonota, with the new Mac OS 8 10 X becoming Rhapsody) to cats (Rhapsody became Cheetah, thence Puma, Jaguar, Panther, Tiger, Leopard, Snow Leopard, Lion, Mountain Lion...). With cat names running out I wouldn't be surprised if an approaching major release (probably coinciding with the [ugh] inevitable merger with iOS) just didn't advertise its code name (like Rhapsody/Cheetah), and then when they start advertising with code names again it's something other than cats.

For shits and giggles, I predict:

iOSX (iOS/OSX merger)
jOSX (the whole thing ported to Java)
kOSX (merger with KDE for user environment)
etc...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Shamino

Postby Shamino » Fri May 18, 2012 7:10 pm UTC

Schroedinger would be more appropriate for Android. There are many times when you can't tell if it's dead or alive.

Shamino

Postby Shamino » Fri May 18, 2012 7:19 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:Why all the emphasis on making some kind of unnoticeable segue from cat names to something else? They've switched from colors (Blue = System 7, Pink = never released aka Taligent, Red = System 8) to music...
I agree completely about music.

The colors, however, have a very interesting story. Not so much code names (at least at first) but a the result of the brainstorming session that produced the respective concepts. According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copland_%28operating_system%29#PinkWikipedia - sorry, I don't yet have permission to post links):

Pink
In March 1988, technical middle managers at Apple held an offsite meeting to plan the future course of Mac OS development. Ideas were written on index cards; features that seemed simple enough to implement in the short term (like adding color to the user interface) were written on blue cards, longer-term goals like multitasking on pink cards, and "far out" ideas like an object-oriented file system on red cards. Development of the ideas contained on the blue and pink cards was to proceed in parallel, and at first the two projects were known simply as "blue" and "pink". Apple intended to have the "blue" team (which came to call themselves the "Blue Meanies" after characters in Yellow Submarine) release an updated version of the existing Macintosh operating system in the 1990–1991 timeframe, and the "pink" team to release an entirely new OS around 1993.

The "blue" team delivered what became known as System 7 on May 13, 1991, but the "pink" team suffered from second-system effect and continued to slip its release into the indefinite future. Some of the reason for this can be traced to problems that would become widespread at Apple as time went on; as "pink" became delayed, engineers on the project jumped ship to work on "blue" instead. This left the "pink" team constantly struggling for staffing and suffering from the problems associated with high employee turnover. Management ignored these sorts of technical development issues, leading to continual problems delivering working products.

At the same time, the recently-released NeXTSTEP was generating intense interest in the developer world. Features that were originally part of "red" were folded into "pink" and the red project (also known as "Raptor") was eventually cancelled. This problem was also common at Apple during this period; in order to chase the next big thing, managers would allow new features to be added to their projects with little oversight, leading to enormous problems with feature creep. In the case of "pink", development eventually slowed to the point that the project appeared moribund.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri May 18, 2012 8:16 pm UTC

Correct that the Pink efforts eventually ended up rolled into Copland (along with Red), but it also had a life before that, which is what I was referring to: Taligent. Pink as its own OS project was abandoned, and in place of Red, Copland and Gershwin were scheduled. (I suppose really Gershwin was to be closer to what Red was originally designed as, since Copland was always meant to be an intermediary step between System 7 and Gershwin, so one might almost say that Pink and Red became Copland and Gershwin, except that's not entirely accurate).
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

WindriderLirian

Postby WindriderLirian » Fri May 18, 2012 8:23 pm UTC

JCSH wrote:
Xenobiologista wrote:
JJ0 wrote:Since when was panther another name for a puma? Panther is the melanistic form of the jaguar or leopard (and as the graph shows is derived from the genus containing them, and notably not pumas). Even wikipedia concedes that black pumas don't exist.

It's a "common" name for the puma apparently used in some parts of the USA. People have all kinds of different common names for stuff and they overlap lots of times. Europeans did this kind of thing all the time, going around the world and naming animals after stuff that looked familiar. That's why we have Latin binomal species names to avoid confusion. You might as well complain that both Erithacus rubecula and Turdus migratorius are both called robins even though they don't look anything like each other besides the red breasts.

Also there's the hockey team called Florida Panthers which is named after the Florida panther which is a subspecies of the cougar which is also called a puma.
And according to Wikipedia (and Guinness Book of Records), in English there's over 40 different names for the puma concolor (a.k.a. puma, cougar, mountain lion,...)

I'm so glad someone mentioned the Puma Concolor point. Panther aside, cougar, mountain lion, puma, mountain cat, and catamount are all the same animal.

I live in a forest where cougars used to live and are returning. There was a graduate student researching them here for the last two years. They're quite beautiful animals. :)

rachalestorm

Re: 1056: "Felidae"

Postby rachalestorm » Sun May 20, 2012 8:44 pm UTC

I'd just like to point out that dracorex hogwartsia is not a latin name at all. It in fact was named at the Children's Museum of Indianapolis and named after the Harry Potter series. I know the group of people who named it. Far from Latin. :wink:

Nyxa

Postby Nyxa » Sun May 20, 2012 9:36 pm UTC

Username4242 wrote:I'm currently working on a review and quantitative analysis of the effects of body size and sociality in structuring within-Carnivora killing on and by the world's felid species, so this is basically the ultimate in 'get out of my head, Randall.'

I know the feel. Preparing to get a tattoo of the extant felidae family tree on my back. Got goosebumps when I saw this.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon May 21, 2012 5:21 am UTC

OSX Fritz. That would be interesting.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Tue May 22, 2012 5:19 pm UTC

WindriderLirian wrote:I live in a forest where cougars used to live and are returning. There was a graduate student researching them here for the last two years. They're quite beautiful animals. :)

In this area, the mountain lions are beginning to return for the past ten years or so. Many move through; others are finding places to stay not too far from here.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

spacebat

Postby spacebat » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:55 am UTC

Ok so 'Pouch Lion' might not be the coolest translation of a latin name, and its not really a cat, but Thylacoleo Carnifex, the marsupial lion would give a sabretooth tiger a run for its money.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”