1058: "Old-Timers"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Роберт

Re: 1058: "Old-Timers"

Postby Роберт » Mon May 21, 2012 6:36 pm UTC

evac156 wrote:With the apparently nonstop rise in popularity of the amateur webcam (read: exhibitionists performing for voyeurs' tips, preggo fetishists, etc.), there are probably a lot of people out there who were "on the internet before they were born."

It's conceivable, at least. :lol:

I see what you did there.
The Great Hippo wrote:[T]he way we treat suspected terrorists genuinely terrifies me.

Tularion

Postby Tularion » Mon May 21, 2012 6:38 pm UTC

Mikkim wrote:I really like how Randall did the dude's beard, it makes him look like a teenager who doesn't have any hygiene.

I didn't even notice the beard at first, but now I can't stop seeing Breivik.

thesingingaccountant

Postby thesingingaccountant » Mon May 21, 2012 6:51 pm UTC

It seems to me that Randall has perhaps begun a series on oneupsmanship... First Klout, and now this. I think he's trying to influence his readership to engage in healthy competition and search for new ways to improve upon itself, yes?
Never trust a psychic who has to reschedule.

wst

Postby wst » Mon May 21, 2012 6:52 pm UTC

fenix849 wrote:
wst wrote:
Alsadius wrote:everyone knows that there's no email server on the planet that lets you send more than a 10 MB attachment.
You know, why is it that email and large files suck so hard? Back before I knew any better I obliterated the school email server by sending an Access database (not a large or complex one at that) to my IT teacher... 10MB is such a miniscule filesize in this world where the OS will happily use 2GB to just run itself, so why is it that email stuff just nopes its way into a corner and dies, whenever >10MB is involved?
But the main reason for that 10mb attachment bringing the mail server to it's knees back the day, is the fact that upload bandwidth was pretty low, and outbound SMTP is placed in a simple FIFO (First In, First Out) buffer, so all the 5 secs to send text messages back up behind your 30 minutes to send 10mb file attachment.
Gotcha. Kinda like when people would print 500 blank pages to make printing time fun around coursework deadlines...
Anything I said pre-2014 that you want to quote me on, just run it past me to check I still agree with myself.

jhbadger

Postby jhbadger » Mon May 21, 2012 6:58 pm UTC

iandisme wrote:That girl is pretty well-spoken for someone who's not even out of kindergarten. The Venter Institute was founded in October 2006.

As someone who works at the Venter Institute, that's technically true, but in reality it's really a continuation of Craig Venter's initial institute, The Institute for Genomic Research (TIGR), which he founded in 1992.

NickNackGus

Postby NickNackGus » Mon May 21, 2012 8:48 pm UTC

It gets better. They're on IRC. She can only use italics there because she was born on the Internet.

kkt

Postby kkt » Mon May 21, 2012 8:57 pm UTC

bogslug wrote:"I've been on the Internet since the BBS days" makes my old man right eyeball twitch. We had BBS's because we couldn't get on the damn internet!

And genome sequencing was science fiction until well after the BBS days.

theknownuniverse

Postby theknownuniverse » Mon May 21, 2012 9:05 pm UTC

Good to see a return of Randall's future child! Was this before or after he programmed her speech centers to shut down when she got upset?

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon May 21, 2012 9:39 pm UTC

NickNackGus wrote:It gets better. They're on IRC. She can only use italics there because she was born on the Internet.

IRC? As if a teenager would be caught dead in fogeyville like that. They're on FaceSpace eMobileWebiChat.0 Messenger Live.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon May 21, 2012 9:52 pm UTC

Whys wrote:Randall is illustrating an interesting concept. What becomes of us when we are no more than blue prints to be copied, transferred, and built when needed? What becomes of us when our blue prints are no longer needed?

/archived.
"Does this smell like chloroform to you?"
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon May 21, 2012 11:19 pm UTC

V21
+++ ATDP 01 811 8051
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

astrosteve

Postby astrosteve » Tue May 22, 2012 12:37 am UTC

bogslug wrote:"I've been on the Internet since the BBS days" makes my old man right eyeball twitch. We had BBS's because we couldn't get on the damn internet!

Not necessarily. I got on the Internet in 1993. Well, I had constant access as of 1993. (Though sporadic Internet access since 1988. and by "sporadic", I mean I'd get on the net 2 or 3 times a year.) From 1993 to 1995, I was using both BBSes and the net. Do my rounds on BBSes in the morning, spend 5-6 hours on the Internet, then do another round of BBSes, get back on the Internet, and repeat that all day on any day I didn't have class.

Interestingly enough, I thought that, by 1995, the Net had killed BBSes and I gave them up for good. As it turns out, 1995-1999 (approximately) was considered the golden age of BBSes when the numbers of BBSes running and people using them hit its all time peak. Not sure what gave me the idea BBS were totally dead in 1995. (Though I did have the interesting experience of BBSing in New Zealand in 1995, when I lived there for three months, and I didn't have net access. They used code bases I'd never heard of there. It was very weird. Almost like a strange alternate dimension.)

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Tue May 22, 2012 12:59 am UTC

faunablues wrote:Though I am disappoint about the typing onomatopoeia. Everyone knows it should be "toc toc."

Really? I love descriptive pseudo-onomatopoeic sound effects, like "Spankies!" I wish people would use it more. The guy swings his fist and hits with an audible "Punch!" The bomb goes off with a mighty "Explode!" The falling man reaches ground with a terrifying "Land!"

Done well, it can add some good meta-level humor (like the "Spankies!" example above). Done averagely, it still works, and may encourage others to try the same. I approve.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

xtifr

Postby xtifr » Tue May 22, 2012 1:04 am UTC

Actually, I got on the Internet when most people were still using BBSes (back when Netcom was still a regional service). I also kept up with the BBSes because so many people couldn't get on the Internet, but I think that qualifies as "I've been on using the Internet since the BBS days."

ETA:
bitwiseshift wrote:This made be wonder if there any other of us old-timers who went to UUNET and got their Usenet files from alt.binaries.*? There would be any number of separate binary files that you had to concatenate by hand.

If by "by hand", you mean using a filter script from within nn to process a set of marked articles, then yes. (Actually, I did do a few by hand before I figured out nn filtering.)
Last edited by xtifr on Tue May 22, 2012 1:10 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"[T]he author has followed the usual practice of contemporary books on graph theory, namely to use words that are similar but not identical to the terms used in other books on graph theory."
-- Donald Knuth, The Art of Computer Programming, Vol I, 3rd ed.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Tue May 22, 2012 1:04 am UTC

Ah yes, argument from seniority :P

Djehutynakht wrote:Dang kids and their internet genomes.

Will the future old man chasing kids off his lawn be old man chasing kids off his homepage?
"Get off my LAN!"
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Strangeite

Postby Strangeite » Tue May 22, 2012 4:10 am UTC

F U Randall.

I am very selective about what gets placed on the fridge. To meet the criteria, it must be something that I find VERY important (the vast majority (probably 75%) is crap my kids bring home from school).

Today, I had to add this comic, where it joins #367 (it is an election year after all, and I am a political junkie).

Unfortunately, you reminded me very clearly of my immortality and that very soon I will no longer know how to set the clock on my VCR and that I will have to ask my kids for help in order to do the aforementioned.

So. In short. Thanks and go to hell.

The future is one of my making and one in which I can't comprend.
Last edited by Strangeite on Tue May 22, 2012 12:25 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Tue May 22, 2012 5:30 am UTC

Wait, is this the same girl who speaks gibberish when upset?

StClair

Postby StClair » Tue May 22, 2012 9:29 am UTC

Further thought:
My genome, even if complete, is not "me" any more than a photograph, or an MRI, or a set of biometric data (fingerprints, retina prints, etc etc) is.
To use a very old, yet surprisingly apt (in this context) metaphor, these things are merely shadows on the wall of the cave.

leifbk

Postby leifbk » Tue May 22, 2012 1:07 pm UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Will the future old man chasing kids off his lawn be old man chasing kids off his homepage?

I just had to chase a kid from Volgograd off my homepage. He tried to brute-force wp-login.php, and hit it 25000 times until I stopped him. And yes, I should have installed the "Limit Login Attempts" plugin a long time ago.

Rotherian

Postby Rotherian » Tue May 22, 2012 1:30 pm UTC

astrosteve wrote: (Though I did have the interesting experience of BBSing in New Zealand in 1995, when I lived there for three months, and I didn't have net access. They used code bases I'd never heard of there. It was very weird. Almost like a strange alternate dimension.)

To be fair, given the number of deadly species that reside in the Oceania area, it is pretty much a strange alternate dimension. (To those that reside there, relax, I'm just taking the piss out of you.)
There are two general categories of opinion: regular opinions and informed opinions.
Please do not argue with me unless your opinion falls into the latter category.

TimXCampbell

Postby TimXCampbell » Tue May 22, 2012 8:37 pm UTC

bogslug wrote:We had BBS's because we couldn't get on the damn internet!

And we cracked into timeshare systems because they hadn't invented home microcomputers yet.

Therefore I am more leet than thou. Or so goes the theory. Alternatively, this might be interpreted as very sad. (P.S. Listen, sonny, I remember when I had to pre-boot a computer by flipping the toggle switches on the front!)

whateveries

Postby whateveries » Tue May 22, 2012 10:45 pm UTC

The great thing is, in less than 10 years time little e-gene will cop a dose of pouty smug back from some kid telling her "hah! my parents assembled me using a genome sequencing plug-in for google sketch up and made my embryo on a makerbot replicator they modded and they installed a haiku OS in my cybernetics adaptor. just.to.be.cool."
...to which old e-gene could only respond "bleurgle"

we all get old, but nothing ages quicker than precocious pre-teen smugness.
it's fine.

unus vox

Postby unus vox » Tue May 22, 2012 10:53 pm UTC

Whys wrote:Randall is illustrating an interesting concept. What becomes of us when we are no more than blue prints to be copied, transferred, and built when needed? What becomes of us when our blue prints are no longer needed?

Technically, that is all we are and ever have been. All life on Earth, humans included, is simply blueprints to be copied and improved upon with each iteration. The romance therein is our way of justifying its existence. The only thing that sets us apart from a copying machine is our ability to smile at the wonder of it all.
Spoiler:

Felix Griffin

Postby Felix Griffin » Wed May 23, 2012 1:49 am UTC

Some of these posts remind me of the Jargon File entry on Software EXchange, commonly abbreviated SEX.

jpk

Postby jpk » Wed May 23, 2012 3:13 am UTC

Felix Griffin wrote:Some of these posts remind me of the Jargon File entry on Software EXchange, commonly abbreviated SEX.

Bah, I remember reading the jargon file on a vt100 on a 300 baud modem...

Sir Lunch-a-lot

Postby Sir Lunch-a-lot » Wed May 23, 2012 6:50 am UTC

So... has XKCD moved servers recently? For fun, I had bookmarked it using the IP address obtained from pinging the site (72.26.203.99). I still can access the site through that IP, but it is no longer up to date... as if Randal had moved servers (which, I seem to remember reading some talk about doing some time back).

Now, the reason I bring it up in the Comic 1058 thread is as follows... http://72.26.203.99/1058/ yields something completely different than http://www.xkcd.com/1058/ .... no picture (a broken image), the title "Crowdsourcing", and the ALT Text - "We don't sell products; we sell the marketplace. And by 'sell the marketplace' we mean 'play shooters, sometimes for upwards of 20 hours straight.'" Has anyone else noticed this? Is this just some old comic that somehow got put there, or could it be the remnants of a comic that never was? (Dun dun dunnnnnn)

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed May 23, 2012 6:52 am UTC

wst wrote:
Alsadius wrote:everyone knows that there's no email server on the planet that lets you send more than a 10 MB attachment.
You know, why is it that email and large files suck so hard? Back before I knew any better I obliterated the school email server by sending an Access database (not a large or complex one at that) to my IT teacher... 10MB is such a miniscule filesize in this world where the OS will happily use 2GB to just run itself, so why is it that email stuff just nopes its way into a corner and dies, whenever >10MB is involved?

10 MB made sense as a limit fifteen to twenty years ago when people had connections running at 56 kb/s or less and had hard drives of a gigabyte or less. However, with today's connections typically running at 2-10 Mb/s and hard drives of a terabyte, a size limit closer to 1 GB would be more appropriate.

Sir Lunch-a-lot

Postby Sir Lunch-a-lot » Wed May 23, 2012 7:16 am UTC

madjo wrote:

I copyrighted your ass, now you'll have to pay me every time you fart!

Oh gods, the MPAA/RIAA will literally own the artists' brain.
Quick, we need to stop the Genome Project.

Too late. Companies have already been patenting gene sequences for years. :x Some have been known to sue for patent infringement (Take Monsanto, for example: http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18563_162-4048288.html). Even parts of our own DNA have been patented (I googled it to make sure I wasn't just repeating something my highschool bio teacher taught me years ago: http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... atent.html), which is just plain silly. Really, considering how long ago most of our genetic code was written, I think it should be considered public domain and therefore unpatentable.

Uzh

Postby Uzh » Mon May 28, 2012 6:58 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:10 MB made sense as a limit fifteen to twenty years ago when people had connections running at 56 kb/s or less and had hard drives of a gigabyte or less. However, with today's connections typically running at 2-10 Mb/s and hard drives of a terabyte, a size limit closer to 1 GB would be more appropriate.

*sigh* That posting hit me hard. I vividely remember asking a friend of mine: "You bought a what? A 1 GB hard drive? Who on the earth needs that much storage?"

I'm officially getting old (on the Internet since 1992).

Georg
"The problem is that humans have these darn biological limitations and if it gets too far from 293 K they'll start complaining, or die." http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=106000#p3483385

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Mon May 28, 2012 7:34 pm UTC

Uzh wrote:
ijuin wrote:10 MB made sense as a limit fifteen to twenty years ago when people had connections running at 56 kb/s or less and had hard drives of a gigabyte or less. However, with today's connections typically running at 2-10 Mb/s and hard drives of a terabyte, a size limit closer to 1 GB would be more appropriate.

*sigh* That posting hit me hard. I vividely remember asking a friend of mine: "You bought a what? A 1 GB hard drive? Who on the earth needs that much storage?"

I'm officially getting old (on the Internet since 1992).

I know how you feel. When I was a kid I knew a man who was running his business with a Tandy/Radioshack 1000 computer. Some company had a going-out-of-business sale and he got three 5 Megabyte bubble memories for $5 each. He told me that he was set for life. Five megabytes was more storage than he'd ever need, and he had two backups.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

Hafting

Postby Hafting » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:49 am UTC

BBS's were more accessible, sure. But the Internet is older than BBS's.

dangermusic

Postby dangermusic » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:15 pm UTC

Why'd they have to sequence sperm and egg? Same genome as the rest of the body.

The interesting question is once you sequence the parents, how do you pick which alleles to pass on to the offspring? It's like one of those menus where you can mix and match dishes from column A and column B...

Let's see, she'll have the brown eyes, curly hair, C-cups, and... I think we'll go with low susceptibility to early-onset Alzheimers. Now, just 22,000 more choices to make...

m8e

Postby m8e » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:12 pm UTC

orthogon wrote:If I understand correctly, our DNA contains lots of repeated stuff, so presumably it would compress losslessly pretty well. Even LZW should do a good job without any domain-specific source coding.

I might be wrong but i think the genome quadrupled during the cambrian explosion leaving four (almost) identical copies after each other. Our genome have obviously changed a lot sense this, but there is still possible to see this pattern in our and many other animals genomes. In addition to this there is a bunch if smaller bits that have gone through gene duplication where the copy comes right after the original.

Stanistani

Postby Stanistani » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:24 am UTC

She may have been through the Internet, but I have stood on it.
(setting up backbone equipment)

Max™

Postby Max™ » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:30 am UTC

Rotherian wrote:
astrosteve wrote: (Though I did have the interesting experience of BBSing in New Zealand in 1995, when I lived there for three months, and I didn't have net access. They used code bases I'd never heard of there. It was very weird. Almost like a strange alternate dimension.)

To be fair, given the number of deadly species that reside in the Oceania area, it is pretty much a strange alternate dimension. (To those that reside there, relax, I'm just taking the piss out of you.)

To be fair, New Zealand is adjacent to Australia which is not an alternate dimension, it's merely the location where the elemental planes of fear and pain intersect with the human world.
mu

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”