1065: "Shoes"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

ChainsawPlankton

Re: 1065: "Shoes"

Postby ChainsawPlankton » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:04 am UTC

hoarous wrote:One time the CIA came recruiting at my university, and the lady who did most of the talking was wearing a crisp, professional-looking suit... and that kind of shoe. When asked about it, she laughed and said she didn't expect anyone to be looking at her feet much. Makes one wonder a bit, about several things.

I tend to not look at feet, the biggest exception is when I hear *clomp clomp clomp* and it is nearly always some ridiculous women shoes (frequently accompanied by some annoying sounding rolling suitcase) bit of a pet peeve

Shantalasha wrote:Chainsaw Plankton did you guys play (or do you still play) EVE-Online under those names as well?

that would be me, although I've been pretty inactive lately o/

W3ird_N3rd wrote:
ChainsawPlankton wrote:I bought a pair of these a few hours ago, I don't really like wearing shoes so I'm hoping they work out.

I'm afraid that even with such expensive shoes, you're still going to have to do that yourself. :P

oh noes, you mean I'm going to have to like go outside and stuff!? guess I better return them and get on some fad diets and supplement pills instead!

Ben's Brook

Postby Ben's Brook » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:34 am UTC

Unfortunately, Sliced Bread do not double as shoes. I tried standing for eight hours in my job once with just a loaf of sliced bread for shoes and it was torture. My heels were all scratched up.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:42 am UTC

Technically, the common saying "greatest thing since sliced bread" means that sliced bread is the most recent thing which hasn't been surpassed by whatever we're talking about. So everyone is saying that sliced bread surpasses a lot of stuff, not that a lot of stuff surpasses sliced bread.

Compare: "This is the hottest summer since 1969." That means that you have to look back to 1969 to find a summer which is hotter; that is, that 1969 is the most recent summer which was hotter than this one, not that this one is hotter than that.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:05 am UTC

Ben's Brook wrote:I tried standing for eight hours in my job once with just a loaf of sliced bread for shoes and it was torture.

Did you butter the bread?

Moral of the comic: you know you have a bad shoe when even Death won't wear them.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

jonas

Postby jonas » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:39 am UTC

This joke was done ages ago in Order of the Stick (OOTS) strip 3.

Tova

Postby Tova » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:16 am UTC

jonas wrote:This joke was done ages ago in Order of the Stick (OOTS) strip 3.

And in one panel, no less...

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:11 am UTC

RandomMarius wrote:There are actually studies that do point out the correlation to the price of shoes being directly related to the amount of feet injuries. Basically the more fancy the shoe the more likely you are to break something.

Not that these Vibram's are cheap.

I personally have a pair and I don't like the toes either... I prefer the Merell (shoe) brand that use the same Vibram soles.

That is humorous, as the shoes I was wearing were the most expensive (yet still quite cheap) I've gotten myself to buy in my life. Granted, anything other than a super long steel toe would have led to the same injury so it actually wasn't my shoes fault at all.

Are there slip resistant versions of these shoes? I think it would be funny to screw with company policy on footware before I leave my job.

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:37 pm UTC

nakana wrote:I want to see a graph comparing BMI with likelihood of owning a pair of Crocs.

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for, especially since kids of all sizes are way more likely to own them than adults. In my own anecdotal experience, I've only seen thin people wear them, but of course, that's anecdotal.
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

Unclevertitle

Postby Unclevertitle » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:48 pm UTC

This strip has a simple solution. Get these immortality shoes, buy another pair of shoes a size or two up, and wear the shoes of immortality inside the larger shoes.

If the "Outrun Death itself" thing is more literal and thus you need the traction these shoes provide, then you could also just use appropriately colored clay/tape/etc. to cover up the front of the shoe from above, thus hiding that the toes are indeed separate.

Immortality achieved, vanity intact. Win win.

Granted, you'd still have to get used to the individual toe feel, but it's not like it's a perfect solution.

spoonyspork

Postby spoonyspork » Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:40 pm UTC

I just got myself a new pair last night (and I hadn't read XKCD yet!), only to later look down at my husband's feet and notice he'd just ripped the toe off of his XD

We've both been using them for a couple years now, including on our trip to England. Boy did we ever get some stares and edging away on the tube and trains. Though kids and Scottish people were utterly fascinated and we had some fun conversations as a result. Not sure why it was only Scottish people...

Hiking up to Durdle Door in them was probably the most awesome experience ever. There's just something really neat about feeling the varying ground under your feet, though it would have been insane to be doing that completely barefoot (very rocky walk and the beach is big smooth stones instead of the sand I'm used to). There was also one point when a lady - who turned out to be a geologist - came up to me in a panic, saying she had set down her geologist's hammer for a second and it disappeared, and if I saw it she would be very grateful if I could return it, as it had sentimental value, etc. A couple minutes later I was standing by the water digging my feet into the rock, felt something and grabbed it with my toes, and came up with... a geologist's hammer. She nearly cried when I ran up and handed it to her. I don't think I would have found it had I not been wearing those vibrams... pretty cool happenstance.

As for injury, funny enough I started wearing them because my knees and hips were hurting all the time and someone at a Perl conference told me they had helped them with similar problems. I hadn't gotten them at the same time as hubby, as I am someone who can't stand stuff between my toes, but figured it was worth a shot and took over hubby's old ones, that he'd grown out of. Sure enough, within a few months my feet were noticeably stronger (and fatter) and my knees and hips stopped hurting. I actually hadn't been wearing them for the last few months as I finally wore through the soles, and for the last few weeks my knees and hips have started hurting again, only relief coming when I get home and take off my shoes.* They have never bothered my toes at all btw even though socks bunching up in normal shoes still do.

*disclaimer: I should note I was one of those kids who went barefoot everywhere... I would even get in trouble at school as the first thing I'd do was take them off and promptly lose them somewhere... so it just may be that I'm built to only go barefoot. Hubby grew up barefooting most of the time as well. I am not a podiatrist so only have correlation/causation to go on (and my knees and hips feet great so far today).

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:32 pm UTC

spoonyspork wrote:kids and Scottish people

lol
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

EpicanicusStrikes
Random Boners = True Attraction

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:50 pm UTC

What the hell is up with all the damn shoeless hippies in this thread?

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:25 pm UTC

EpicanicusStrikes wrote:What the hell is up with all the damn shoeless hippies in this thread?

On the internet nobody knows you're a dog.

Or barefoot.

Until you tell them.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

spoonyspork

Postby spoonyspork » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:05 pm UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:
spoonyspork wrote:kids and Scottish people

lol

It's true! We'd been told (by the British people we were staying with) that British people, especially in London, just DON'T talk to you, DON'T look at you, etc... unless you're doing something weird; in which case they stare at you but would still never dream of saying anything (which isn't particularly odd to me, having lived in NYC for a while)

So first thing off the plane, we get on the tube, sit down without saying a word... 20 minutes into the trip I glance up and realize we are being stared at. About half way to our destination a big burly guy I can only describe as - other than not wearing a kilt - meeting every stereotype we in the states have for Scottish people. He plopped down in front of us and first thing started asking us about our shoes. This was repeated almost every time we went anywhere in the UK, to the point that if we heard a thick 'Northern' accent, we knew they'd be asking us about our shoes soon. One guy actually took pictures and wrote down notes about where to buy them, etc.

Our host also only said the Scottish people were 'weird'... I think by that he meant 'friendly' XD

fernie

Postby fernie » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:05 pm UTC

http://birthdayshoes.com

great website for vibram news/models, etc.

They also review other "minimalist" shoes that don't have the "weird gecko foot" but retain the benefits of it.

http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/

also has several styles that are dressy-ish that could pass for most office settings besides the most strict tailed-suit-and-tie scenarios, but can easily pass as loafers could in a business casual setting.
Birthdayshoes also had an article on a start-up company that was working on making a $300 dollar shoe that looked identical to the fancy "italian-leather" shoes but was a minimalist shoe in disguise. I guess part of the cost was the shoe being american-made instead of shipped out.

whateveries

Postby whateveries » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:34 pm UTC

Wait.Wait.Wait.
Wait. Sliced bread was first sold in 1928, though the prototype machine was first used in 1912 which would indicate that sliced bread ws invented in 1912 but marketing took 16 years to get it right.
Swords being used for saving kingdoms went out of style around the napoleonic war, though the figure seems to be using some kind of longsword, which went ouf style a couple of hundred years (or so) before that.
Dieties talking from on high haven't been heard of since old Saul got the guilts on the road to Damascus or perhaps more recently if Joseph Smith was telling the truth and I see no reason why he shouldnt have been and seeing as this one is of the 'magic item' gifting type, much like Joseph Smith's we'll go with that one.

This comic is an anachronistic nightmare.

and you people are worried about frickn toes. you make me sick.
it's fine.

chistodex

Postby chistodex » Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:47 am UTC

I tried a pair of these on once in a store. I only had the shoes on for about 20 seconds... But could feel that god awful feeling between my toes for the rest of the day. Horrifying experience to say the least.

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:08 am UTC

SerMufasa wrote:
nakana wrote:I want to see a graph comparing BMI with likelihood of owning a pair of Crocs.

I don't think you'll find what you're looking for, especially since kids of all sizes are way more likely to own them than adults. In my own anecdotal experience, I've only seen thin people wear them, but of course, that's anecdotal.

Plenty of kids have high BMI.

Edit: That is to say, that I don't think it would have any serious effects on the outcome of the graph, although it may indeed not show what he imagines it would.

The only people I know with crocs are not obese either. Most wouldn't be considered overweight. Several would be underweight infact.

ve_

Postby ve_ » Fri Jun 08, 2012 6:58 am UTC

software2 wrote:I've been tempted to get a pair of these, but I've heard several horror stories about how they provide almost no protection against sharp things jamming into your foot - one of the key features of a regular shoe.

only if you buy rip offs. the original are reinforced with fiber.

sinEXE wrote:
Eshru wrote:Having broken my foot recently, I was reading about foot injuries, and they have been on the rise along with the popularity of these shoes.

(no, I didn't break my foot because of shoes such as these)

Yes, the five-fingers have broken a few feet, but not because of a failure in the shoe itself. Bones are reinforced through a series of micro-fractures, and their subsequent repair. If you smack your forearms into a wall they'll crack, but just a tiny bit. Enough of this over time will allow your to smack your forearms into walls without any sort of damage. This is a basic tenant of martial arts conditioning.

Similarly, the bones in our feet are exposed to more pressure when we walk around barefoot. Each step you take will produce these same micro-fractures. If we had spent our entire lives barefoot then this process would occur organically. As we gained more weight, the bones would break, then heal, then be fine. However, a lot of people go straight from regular shoes into these "barefoot" shoes and aren't allowing those micro-fractures enough time to heal. So bones that are used to support are now holding 120+ pounds without assistance. Thus, broken feet.

actually, this process you describe many people doing martial arts will know. it does not break anything as such but hardens the bones. i know in gungfu they hit wood dummies with their lower arms.

RandomMarius wrote:
Eshru wrote:Having broken my foot recently, I was reading about foot injuries, and they have been on the rise along with the popularity of these shoes.

There are actually studies that do point out the correlation to the price of shoes being directly related to the amount of feet injuries. Basically the more fancy the shoe the more likely you are to break something.

but not to forget, cheap hiking/mountaineering boots break feet faster than any fancy sneakers could possibly manage. above fourthousand meters on frozen ground with loads of debris lying around you really should wear 300€ boots. i learned it the hard way..
Last edited by ve_ on Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:31 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:29 am UTC

ve_ wrote:
sinEXE wrote:

Yes, the five-fingers have broken a few feet, but not because of a failure in the shoe itself. Bones are reinforced through a series of micro-fractures, and their subsequent repair. If you smack your forearms into a wall they'll crack, but just a tiny bit. Enough of this over time will allow your to smack your forearms into walls without any sort of damage. This is a basic tenant of martial arts conditioning.

Similarly, the bones in our feet are exposed to more pressure when we walk around barefoot. Each step you take will produce these same micro-fractures. If we had spent our entire lives barefoot then this process would occur organically. As we gained more weight, the bones would break, then heal, then be fine. However, a lot of people go straight from regular shoes into these "barefoot" shoes and aren't allowing those micro-fractures enough time to heal. So bones that are used to support are now holding 120+ pounds without assistance. Thus, broken feet.

actually, this process you describe many people doing martial arts will know. it does not break anything as such but hardens the bones. i know in gungfu they hit wood dummies with their lower arms.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a86cQobU-n4

Iranon

Postby Iranon » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:00 am UTC

The links in this thread motivated me to try running barefoot for a change... it seemed more fluid and efficient while I was running and I may actually have been a little faster.
The difference in motion and muscles used surprised me... less work for the upper leg, more for the lower. My calf muscles complained quite strongly afterwards, more so than my feet although I was running on stone and gravel.
LEGO won't be ready for the average user until it comes pre-assembled, in a single unified theme, and glued together so it doesn't come apart.

michaelyw

Postby michaelyw » Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:57 pm UTC

Sir Lunch-a-lot wrote:
Alt Text: "I *do* hear that they're the most comfortable thing to wear on your feet since sliced bread."

Well, sliced bread WAS pretty darn comfortable on my feet... so I guess I'll have to give these a try.

I'm surprised it took 14 posts for someone to comment on this.

AlexanderRM

Postby AlexanderRM » Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:34 pm UTC

iChef wrote:Could have been worse, it could have been the Segway of Immortality.

So you'd be forced to stay on a Segway forever to stay immortal? I'd much prefer the shoes, yeah.

Although socks might be nicer. Especially since that would let you take off your shoes.

Certainly, actually, I'd much prefer to wear amazingly comfortable shoes for eternity.

faunablues

Postby faunablues » Sun Jun 10, 2012 11:29 pm UTC

Weeee a GOOHMR moment, sort of. I friggin love my fivefinger shoes. On my third pair.

Before those, I had been running in regular running shoes. I got tendinitis once, and it kept coming back despite rest and NSAIDs. It got to the point that it hurt even just from a brisk walk, and so I gave myself a rest from running for a looong while. It blows to take a break from running. Felt restless yet guilty that I couldn't do much (biking/elliptical caused it to flare up that point as well, and brisk walking continued to be a problem).
Heard about vibrams, and figured $85 was worth the chance of better feet and being able to run again. I gave myself a few weeks to get used to them, first only wearing them around the house, then walking outside, etc. I hate wearing toe socks (the feeling of fabric between your toes!! ugh), but for whatever reason the fivefingers don't feel the same, they're like wearing slippers or something. Anyway, a few weeks later I took up running again. Haven't had a single problem with tendinitis in the former spot or anywhere else since. The biggest issue I've had from running in these are toe cramps (which subside quickly, and are probably just from forefoot running itself and not particularly the shoes) and blisters if I've been on a break. I find that the thin soles (like KSO) work better for running than thicker (like Bikila); there's just more flexibility. I once had something pierce the shoe - a thorn thing from a plant - but for whatever reason never glass (classy area with the occasional broken glass).

They are expensive compared to my usual purchase of on-sale running sneakers, but they're cheaper than those usual fancy running shoes. However, when they're worn out, they're really worn out - i.e. I wore through the sole of my first ones (KSO) completely. Another disadvantage is protection from cold weather, which I believe they addressed in a couple of models for cold sports. It doesn't matter here in SoCal, but it blew when I was in Nebraska in the winter.

People ask about them though, which can be a little awkward (but then again, I'm wearing something weird). For some reason the solid black ones I had turned more heads than my teal/yellow/camo ones now (??).
I wear them whenever I can, but I don't wear them for work in a clinic (unlike crocs, which are a pretty common weird shoe for people to wear there). I'm guessing they'd be fine for that type of work, but as weird shoes I don't want to be "unprofessional" even though my "professional" shoes are old sneakers and clogs.

For anyone looking for a deal on them, ebay can yield some people selling off ones that didn't fit them or they didn't like, but tons of the ebay sellers are selling knock-offs, often in colors vibram doesn't sell. I have to sift through quite a few, but I got my last (legit!) pair for $55, hardly used.

tl;dr: these shoes let me run again and aren't too expensive for what they are

aquabat

Postby aquabat » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:09 pm UTC

Shantalasha wrote:Aquabat and Chainsaw Plankton did you guys play (or do you still play) EVE-Online under those names as well?

I might have played a trial month a couple of years ago under this nick, but I found visual artifacting too distracting. It sucks because most of the game is really beautifully rendered, but having running lights on the space stations popping in and out randomly, while just floating there looking at it, was just too much for me, especially on my high res 30". Tried bumping the AA up to max, but nothing helped. Maybe they've fixed it by now though; I might try again some time. I liked the game mechanics.

W3ird_N3rd

Postby W3ird_N3rd » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:21 pm UTC

AlexanderRM wrote:Although socks might be nicer. Especially since that would let you take off your shoes.

Oh my.. Socks.. So after a while, we could smell you from a mile away? I'm sure even death won't come near you indeed.

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:49 pm UTC

W3ird_N3rd wrote:
AlexanderRM wrote:Although socks might be nicer. Especially since that would let you take off your shoes.

Oh my.. Socks.. So after a while, we could smell you from a mile away? I'm sure even death won't come near you indeed.

You can wash your feet without taking off your socks. Wash the socks too.

Normally that would seem silly, but in this particular case it seems like it would be the thing to do.

I am speaking literally with no intention of any sort of double entendre.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

mrand

Postby mrand » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:37 pm UTC

If the five-finger is too distracting (or too hard to keep from smelling), RunAmocs use Vibram material for their sole, but look much closer to a normal shoe. I wear an all black pair to work sometimes.

Marc

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”