1067: "Pressures"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rhomboidal

1067: "Pressures"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:07 am UTC

Title Text: Everyone's caught by surprise when a theory of quantum gravity is developed by a sound technician wearing patent leather shoes while editing Clerks II.

Einstein was the Silent Bob of his patent office.

(hehe, I was inspired to make a strip of this, here )
Last edited by rhomboidal on Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:37 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Quicksilver

Re: 1067: "Pressures"

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:11 am UTC

Why only the swiss?

scotty2haughty

Postby scotty2haughty » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:11 am UTC

Einstein was Swiss, of course.
/s/

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:27 am UTC

scotty2haughty wrote:Einstein was Swiss, of course.

Albert Einstein was German. Born in Ulm. His first break as a scientist/inventor/whatever came while working as a Swiss patent examining officer.

benrules380

Postby benrules380 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:59 am UTC

that took me a really long time to understand..... but great comic, now I want to work in a patent office though....

Oflick

Postby Oflick » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:20 am UTC

I don't know if I get it. I mean, I have some ideas, but none has struck me as the right one.

MidKnight

Postby MidKnight » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:24 am UTC

Oflick wrote:I don't know if I get it. I mean, I have some ideas, but none has struck me as the right one.

It's your hair. You need to grow it out longer.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:27 am UTC

MidKnight wrote:
Oflick wrote:I don't know if I get it. I mean, I have some ideas, but none has struck me as the right one.

And stick your tongue out.
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

keithl

Postby keithl » Mon Jun 11, 2012 5:30 am UTC

Ah, yes. The fellow who shared the patent with Leo Szilard for the absorption refrigerator. It operated at constant pressure. Herr Einstein also patented a hearing aid with Rudolf Goldschmidt, as well as a gyrocompass and a camera. I can imagine that would set a high standard for other inventive patent clerks.

Uh, did this famous inventor (also known as "The Edison of the Alps") ever do anything else?

jpk

Postby jpk » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:11 am UTC

keithl wrote:Ah, yes. The fellow who shared the patent with Leo Szilard for the absorption refrigerator. It operated at constant pressure. Herr Einstein also patented a hearing aid with Rudolf Goldschmidt, as well as a gyrocompass and a camera. I can imagine that would set a high standard for other inventive patent clerks.

Uh, did this famous inventor (also known as "The Edison of the Alps") ever do anything else?

He played the fiddle a little.

Oflick

Postby Oflick » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:13 am UTC

Oh.

I see.

Noodlepoop

Postby Noodlepoop » Mon Jun 11, 2012 6:49 am UTC

keithl wrote:Uh, did this famous inventor (also known as "The Edison of the Alps") ever do anything else?

You probably meant "The Tesla of the Alps".

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla

Gargravarr

Postby Gargravarr » Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:41 am UTC

Suppose Einstein had come up with his ideas while working as a research professor at a university. I wonder if that would've reduced the number of cranks who think they can "disprove Einstein" by building a perpetual motion device in the garage.

wbeaty
Location: Bagley Hall basement, futzing with kilowatt VHF pulse amplifiers (UW Seattle campus))

Postby wbeaty » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:46 am UTC

ALT TAB! I wonder if Albert kept his personal work sitting open in his top desk drawer, then pushed it closed whenever the boss walked by.

BJT story: Bardeen and Brattain had been ordered to stop working on their transistor and to concentrate on the FET as before. So they loaded the experiment onto a wheeled cart. That way they could keep working, but easily hide it in an adjacent lab on days when the boss (Shockley) came by.
((((((((((((((( ( (o) ) )))))))))))))))
William Beaty . . .Science Hobbyist page
http://amasci.com . . billb o eskimocom

ShadowedHuman

Postby ShadowedHuman » Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:55 am UTC

I don't think Kevin Smith would have a sound tech in leather shoes helping him cut Clerks II, just saying. :wink:

Taikand

Postby Taikand » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:21 am UTC

Noodlepoop wrote:
keithl wrote:Uh, did this famous inventor (also known as "The Edison of the Alps") ever do anything else?

Nope, I think he means "Edison" as in "the guy who stole other people's ideas and became rich/famous".

MrP

Postby MrP » Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:28 am UTC

wbeaty wrote:ALT TAB! I wonder if Albert kept his personal work sitting open in his top desk drawer, then pushed it closed whenever the boss walked by.

He kept his notes in the bottom drawer of his desk, which he called his department of theoretical physics.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:00 am UTC

I feel this is obligatory:
In 1921, Albert Einstein presented a paper on his then-infant Theory of Relativity at the Sorbonne, the prestigious French university. "If I am proved correct," he said, "the Germans will call me a German, the Swiss will call me a Swiss citizen, and the French will call me a great scientist. If relativity is proved wrong, the French will call me a Swiss, the Swiss will call me a German and the Germans will call me a Jew."
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

nlitchfield

Postby nlitchfield » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:24 am UTC

brakos82 wrote:
MidKnight wrote:

And stick your tongue out.

and have an affair with your cousin and in general behave abhorrently towards women. eg http://www.fembio.org/english/biography.php/woman/biography/mileva-maric-einstein/

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Jun 11, 2012 10:41 am UTC

Noodlepoop wrote:

That sounds pretty awesome. But I have doubts on the parts
  • "You know how when you need electricity for your home it simply rains down from the earth's ionosphere and charges everything wirelessley? ... Tesla invented but didn't share ..."
  • "One of Tesla's final gifts to the world was a tower near New York City that would have provided free wireless energy to the entire planet. ... shut ... down ... there would be no way to ... make money"
Is this stuff true? I can imagine the first thing working maybe, but not the second.
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

jonadab

Postby jonadab » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:08 am UTC

Is this [free energy] stuff true? I can imagine the first thing working maybe, but not the second.

It's not entirely made up out of whole cloth, but it's not presented in a way that gives you a realistic idea of its practicality, either. So no, it's not possible to build a single magic tower in your backyard and provide free energy forever to the whole world as a result.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:15 am UTC

Monika wrote:
Noodlepoop wrote:

• "You know how when you need electricity for your home it simply rains down from the earth's ionosphere and charges everything wirelessley? ... Tesla invented but didn't share ..."
  • "One of Tesla's final gifts to the world was a tower near New York City that would have provided free wireless energy to the entire planet. ... shut ... down ... there would be no way to ... make money"
Is this stuff true? I can imagine the first thing working maybe, but not the second.

The second is more or less true, though I think he is exaggerating what Tesla's tower would have been capable of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardenclyffe_Tower

Whoever authored that comic sounds like a bitter, stark-mad, raving lunatic. I'm not saying the comic is totally wrong - I really have no idea, and I don't really care. But man, what an asshole.

If I write a long, whining rant highlighting all of one person's successes contrasted with another's failures, it would make just about anyone in the former sound like a genius compared with the latter. Is it possible that the massive majority of the world's population that recognizes Edison as a genius is wrong and this guy is one of the enlightened few who gets it? I guess, in theory. I think the more likely truth is that both men were brilliant, both had moral and even intellectual shortcomings on occasion, and so on. I don't know enough about either to provide specifics, but I do know I've never heard anything but praise for Tesla as a brilliant scientist, so I'm not sure where the perceived slight is coming from.

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:21 am UTC

benrules380 wrote:that took me a really long time to understand..... but great comic, now I want to work in a patent office though....

Yeah, my brain was a little sluggish this morning. It gave me a nice chuckle when it finally clicked, though.

Now I dream of meeting a Swiss patent clerk and seeing if any mention of Einstein (or attempting this comic) will set him/her off.

drewder

Postby drewder » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:25 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
Monika wrote:
Noodlepoop wrote:

The second is more or less true, though I think he is exaggerating what Tesla's tower would have been capable of.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wardenclyffe_Tower

Whoever authored that comic sounds like a bitter, stark-mad, raving lunatic. I'm not saying the comic is totally wrong - I really have no idea, and I don't really care. But man, what an asshole.

If I write a long, whining rant highlighting all of one person's successes contrasted with another's failures, it would make just about anyone in the former sound like a genius compared with the latter. Is it possible that the massive majority of the world's population that recognizes Edison as a genius is wrong and this guy is one of the enlightened few who gets it? I guess, in theory. I think the more likely truth is that both men were brilliant, both had moral and even intellectual shortcomings on occasion, and so on. I don't know enough about either to provide specifics, but I do know I've never heard anything but praise for Tesla as a brilliant scientist, so I'm not sure where the perceived slight is coming from.

I skimmed through a lot of it ( I get sick of reading things about how tesla was really superman) and I have to say for someone who claims to "know" the truth about history he seems to have a lack of understand of the things he is talking about. He claims tesla invented radar in 1917 and tried to sell it to the navy for use in WWI and was blocked by Edison, mentions that it would have been useful for submarine warfare and says that he hopes Edison gets hit by a Nazi torpedo. Problem is the Nazis didn't exist in 1917 and radar doesn't work under water.

squall_line

Postby squall_line » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:07 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:Whoever authored that comic sounds like a bitter, stark-mad, raving lunatic. I'm not saying the comic is totally wrong - I really have no idea, and I don't really care. But man, what an asshole.

First time you've ever read The Oatmeal? Because pretty much every one of the comics is snarky insanity...

Dave

Postby Dave » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:18 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:Whoever authored that comic sounds like a bitter, stark-mad, raving lunatic. I'm not saying the comic is totally wrong - I really have no idea, and I don't really care. But man, what an asshole.

The guy who writes the oatmeal is, as you can tell, a big fan of Tesla's. That comic was just another of his "oh man, Tesla is awesome" kind of strips. I wouldn't say he is an asshole, although he does clearly dislike Edison.

That said, judging by his sense of humour, I don't think I could argue with the "stark-mad, raving lunatic" bit, and his dislike of Edison clearly shows he is a little bitter on Tesla's behalf - I guess I'd just question the "asshole" bit. :D

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:19 pm UTC

squall_line wrote:

First time you've ever read The Oatmeal? Because pretty much every one of the comics is snarky insanity...

I read it occasionally, and it is often good. It's not just the snarkiness of this one that bothers me, it's the wholly faulty method of arguing and what seems like a misrepresentation of facts (and the endlessness of the comic) that annoyed me.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:21 pm UTC

drewder wrote:says that he hopes Edison gets hit by a Nazi torpedo. Problem is the Nazis didn't exist in 1917

It says he hopes his grandchildren get hit by a Nazi torpedo.
and radar doesn't work under water

Well that's indeed a problem.

suso

Postby suso » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:28 pm UTC

There is a saying "Even Philip Glass had to drive a cab". :shock: It means that most everyone has what society would call "normal" jobs before they go on to fame. This whole making a big deal out of it is just silly. It may sound facinating when a cell phone salesman gets up on britains got talent and sings opera, but its really not because what they don't tell you is that he was also a vocal major at a prestigious music school.

I get the joke in this comic, but its just not such a big deal.
Imagine theres no signatures....

J Thomas
Everyone's a jerk. You. Me. This Jerk.^

Postby J Thomas » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:35 pm UTC

Tesla grew up as a member of a subject race of the Austro-Hungarian empire. He had the concept of an elite class that he could not possibly join. He was allowed to get a decent education, though, and make a decent living from it. He hoped to become an inventor who could bypass class barriers through his genius.

Edison grew up in relative poverty in the USA. He got very little standardized education, and found he did not like doing menial jobs. He did like to experiment and figure things out, and he hoped to get rich.

Tesla wanted to be an aristocrat. Edison wanted to be a tycoon.

Tesla dressed like a european dandy. He talked about his genius and about how elite he was. Edison mostly hired poor men who had his drive for commercial success.

Tesla was "cheated" by Edison or Edison's employees at least three times. Shouldn't he have learned not to trust a verbal contract with them the first time? He didn't want to think about money. Aristocrats got their income from their properties without having to think about it. Shouldn't he have noticed that Edison didn't respect nerds? He wanted to be an inventor and not have to think about money or about bullies.

Tesla provided Westinghouse with inventions that could outcompete Edison. Westinghouse gave Tesla a percentage of the gross. Westinghouse did not realize how big the business would get. Tesla would get filthy rich off his percentage. Westinghouse told him the business was about to go bankrupt and all their work would be lost. Unless Tesla gave up his percentage. Tesla signed away all rights. Why didn't he demand an option on future profits or -- anything? He didn't want to think about it.

Tesla kept scraping up money to do research. He hobnobbed with Americans who could pose as aristocrats. He kept up appearances. When he ran out of money he went to his old friend Westinghouse to ask for some. Westinghouse gave him money and told him to complete his research on fluorescent lighting. If he could make fluorescent lights that outcompeted Edison's light bulbs, and sold them, he would never have to ask anybody for money ever again. Tesla was not interested in fluorescent lights. He spent the money on more interesting research and then went back to Westinghouse for more. Westinghouse didn't give him more.

It's hard to tell what Tesla knew. He wrote a handbook about AC generators and motors that had a lot to do with getting that industry going. Did he know secrets that are still undiscovered? Probably not. Probably not secrets that are true. But various physics cranks believe he did, and that they can rediscover what he knew. He has gotten a big cult following because he was a nerd and a sort of prototype for the mad scientist concept.

It's hard to figure out much of the truth about either man, apart from "facts", because both of them did their best to become legends. They told stories about themselves intended to enhance the mystique. Edison portrayed himself as a man of the people, who had the occasional brilliant idea but who mostly succeeded through grinding hard work. Of course nerds tend to appreciate Tesla more.
The Law of Fives is true. I see it everywhere I look for it.

dp2

Postby dp2 » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:52 pm UTC

Monika wrote:
Noodlepoop wrote:

It's an Internet comic. Of course it's 100% accurate and true.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:09 pm UTC

Why would facts presented in comic form be any more or less likely to be factual than any other medium? Like anything else, some can be credible and factual, some can be a bunch of bullshit.

richP

Postby richP » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:36 pm UTC

drewder wrote:<snip>
I skimmed through a lot of it ( I get sick of reading things about how tesla was really superman) and I have to say for someone who claims to "know" the truth about history he seems to have a lack of understand of the things he is talking about. He claims tesla invented radar in 1917 and tried to sell it to the navy for use in WWI and was blocked by Edison, mentions that it would have been useful for submarine warfare and says that he hopes Edison gets hit by a Nazi torpedo. Problem is the Nazis didn't exist in 1917 and radar doesn't work under water.

FWIW: while radar doesn't work under water, it still has potential uses for anti-submarine warfare. Pre-nuclear subs spent most of their time on the surface, only submerging to attack, so radar could be even more vital for ASW. I seem to recall that by the end of WWII, submarine designers were needing to consider minimizing the size of their periscopes to minimize their radar signature.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:42 pm UTC

I had no idea radar didn't work under water. What have I seen in movies and stuff tracking submarines then? Is that sonar? Is there an easy-to-explain description of the difference?

perakojot

Postby perakojot » Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:48 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote: Is it possible that the massive majority of the world's population that recognizes Edison as a genius is wrong and this guy is one of the enlightened few who gets it?

i believe it's only the US that recognizes Edison as a greater "inventor" than Tesla, because he was a successful businessman and fits more into the US "self-made", "from rags to riches", "entrepreneurship" mythos.

the rest of the world knows/cares much more about science, so Tesla is our hero..

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:01 pm UTC

perakojot wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote: Is it possible that the massive majority of the world's population that recognizes Edison as a genius is wrong and this guy is one of the enlightened few who gets it?

i believe it's only the US that recognizes Edison as a greater "inventor" than Tesla, because he was a successful businessman and fits more into the US "self-made", "from rags to riches", "entrepreneurship" mythos.

the rest of the world knows/cares much more about science, so Tesla is our hero..

Well nothing I said put either one above the other. I think that's a pretty stupid question to ask, frankly. Who really cares? But congratulations, I guess. I'm content with thinking we're better off for having both of them in our history.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:01 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:I had no idea radar didn't work under water. What have I seen in movies and stuff tracking submarines then? Is that sonar? Is there an easy-to-explain description of the difference?

It's sonar. Sonar uses sound waves. Radar uses electro-magnetic waves.

perakojot

Postby perakojot » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:02 pm UTC

also, most of that comic was mostly right..

Edison was a bastard who cheated people around him (including Tesla), probably "invented" a few things, but signed his name on a lot more patents from his workers.

Tesla was a brilliant, if naive (and later literally mad) scientist that didn't even patent half of his research, was cheated by many (including Edison), and willingly gave away untold riches other times..

so i would say, basically right, obviously exaggerated for comic effect..

perakojot

Postby perakojot » Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:09 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:Well nothing I said put either one above the other. I think that's a pretty stupid question to ask, frankly. Who really cares? But congratulations, I guess. I'm content with thinking we're better off for having both of them in our history.

well, ask any scientist, it's pretty unanimous and obvious who is above the other, and i don't think it's a stupid question to ask, we should know our scientists and important contributions they made to the world.

and this guy (the Oatmeal) cares because he is sick of people praising Edison, while most of the (US) population is not even aware that Tesla existed.. and i guess this is his attempt at educating..

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

Postby jc » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:Why would facts presented in comic form be any more or less likely to be factual than any other medium? Like anything else, some can be credible and factual, some can be a bunch of bullshit.

Here in the US, this gets "complicated", as they say on Facebook, due to the numerous surveys showing that the people who can correctly answer questions about our political system best are usually those who follow Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert, of the Comedy Channel. So the default assumption here could easily be that the best source of reliable news is something labelled "comic", e.g., the rant about Tesla vs. Edison.

There was also a recent survey showing that followers of Fox News tend to be the worst-informed about anything factual. This just adds another data point to the growing pattern telling us who can be believed and who can't.

I'm not sure where The Onion fits into this spectrum, since everything they write is pure fiction, but I suspect that they also add to the general pattern that the "serious" news sources aren't a source of reliable information, while the "comic" news sources are highly informative.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”