1071: "Exoplanets"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rhomboidal

1071: "Exoplanets"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:08 am UTC

Title Text: Planets are turning out to be so common that to show all the planets in our galaxy, this chart would have to be nested in itself--with each planet replaced by a copy of the chart--at least three levels deep.

I was so hoping when I clicked on the scaled-down image that it would expand to 1:1 scale and blow my browser (and my mind) out of this solar system.
Last edited by rhomboidal on Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:37 am UTC, edited 3 times in total.

jspenguin

Re: 1071: "Exoplanets"

Postby jspenguin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:11 am UTC

I first thought this was a color-blindness test...

Code: Select all

from __future__ import skynet

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:14 am UTC

jspenguin wrote:I first thought this was a color-blindness test...

Dear colorblind,

There is no hidden joke. Don't even worry about it.

Love,

Me

MotorToad
Really Repeatedly Redundantly Redundant

Postby MotorToad » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:27 am UTC

"That's no moon...."

I can't imagine that we'll know anything about the make-up of these planets in our age. It's going to take more than telescopes and reflected light.

What tools would give us anything but the mass compared to the star it's around?
What did you bring the book I didn't want read out of up for?
"MAN YOUR WAY TO ANAL!" (An actual quote from another forum. Only four small errors from making sense.)

Kain

Postby Kain » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:32 am UTC

MotorToad wrote:"That's no moon...."

I can't imagine that we'll know anything about the make-up of these planets in our age. It's going to take more than telescopes and reflected light.

What tools would give us anything but the mass compared to the star it's around?

Well, for starters, if we are fortunate enough that the planet eclipses its star, we can get the spectra of the exoplanet's atmosphere. I am sure there are more things that can be done, but this is what a few of my classmates were working on last year (and they loved to talk about it in class :) ).
Look, you know it's serious when a bunch of people in full armor and gear come charging in to fight a pond of chickens - Steax

enigmamf

Postby enigmamf » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:38 am UTC

I was going to say something along the lines of "Does this mean I'm colorblind?"

Whyareall

Postby Whyareall » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:43 am UTC

The solar system is missing a dot.
'; DROP DATABASE;-- wrote:The problem with imagination is it does a lousy job of interacting with the physical world. And you look crazy when you talk to it.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:47 am UTC

Something obvious that I didn't realize at first: If "huge" is anything an order of magnitude beyond Earth, then the only non-huge exoplanets in the picture are the few tiny dots. I'm guessing the blue ones are ice giants, the ochre ones gas giants, and the deep red... I don't know, hot Jupiters?

Whyareall wrote:The solar system is missing a dot.

There are four dots, which is all. The smallest is only visible in the full-size version, and is near the bottom.
Last edited by Arancaytar on Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:49 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Kename Fin

Postby Kename Fin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:48 am UTC

I wonder, is there any significance to the size/scale of the circle used?

Edit:
Biggest planet in our solar system measures 30 px
Entire graphic is 1500 px
Last edited by Kename Fin on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:15 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Qaanol
The Cheshirest Catamount

Postby Qaanol » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:52 am UTC

This new comic 1071, being named “exoplanets.png” has broken comic 786, which was also named “exoplanets.png”.
wee free kings

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Wed Jun 20, 2012 4:55 am UTC

If you add up the cross sections of all the planets, divide by the scale factor, and subtract this from the circle's size, you get the area of the circle that contains text or free space. :P

Other than that, I doubt there is any significance. As it is already dependent on the text and the packing of the planets, using it to represent any sort of data value would constrain the entire layout in a complex fashion (not that that's stopped Randall before).
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

Eutychus

Postby Eutychus » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:08 am UTC

Qaanol wrote:This new comic 1071, being named “exoplanets.png” has broken comic 786, which was also named “exoplanets.png”.

Picture postcards of the old comic suddenly became extremely valuable.

/obscure?
/online substitute for picture postcard here
Be very careful about rectilinear assumptions. Raptors could be hiding there - ucim

pyronius

Postby pyronius » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:10 am UTC

Pluto... : (

scottgoblue314

Postby scottgoblue314 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:20 am UTC

Qaanol wrote:This new comic 1071, being named “exoplanets.png” has broken comic 786, which was also named “exoplanets.png”.

Does anyone else find it odd that the comic displaying all 786 planets broke comic 786, "Exoplanets"?

Milnoc

Postby Milnoc » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:29 am UTC

Imagine if we could build a telescope that could "see" beyond the speed of light, allowing us to see distant objects in their current time. You could use a temporal zoom control to travel to the system's current time and see its thousands of years of evolution in just a few seconds.

That is, until you see a blinding flash of light, then nothing at all.

You then realize the system's sun had already gone nova, and there's nothing left! :P

pbnjstowell

Postby pbnjstowell » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:35 am UTC

If small planets are fairly common, does that mean we can reinstate Pluto as a planet again?
Never trust a dog with orange eyebrows.

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:37 am UTC

The worlds need more infographics.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:02 am UTC

Does the color have any significance (such as what we believe it's made out of, etc.) or just for effect?

Kanonfutter

Postby Kanonfutter » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:18 am UTC

pbnjstowell wrote:If small planets are fairly common, does that mean we can reinstate Pluto as a planet again?

No, sub-planets are expected to be even more common. The most important bit is the part that given it is difficult to discover small planets, we can estimate how many we cannot detect, and these estimates say that there are more small planets than large planets, small being up to a couple of earth-masses, but large enough to clear its orbit.

We detect most planets by their diminishing of stellar light by passing in front of their stars. More info here, on the Kepler Mission page.

And: COLORS, for crying out loud. As interesting as the graph is, it reminds me of bad parts of the seventies.

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:22 am UTC

Arancaytar wrote:

There are four dots, which is all. The smallest is only visible in the full-size version, and is near the bottom.

Perhaps this was an inevitable Pluto reference.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:47 am UTC

MotorToad wrote:"That's no moon...."

"Telescopes and reflected light" were all that we had of the planets in our own solar system until the 1960s when we could send probes to go look at them up close. Thus, I am confident that sufficiently powerful telescopes could give us data at least comparable to our circa 1960 knowledge of Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:55 am UTC

Ironically within a couple minutes of reading this comic I came upon this (which was posted yesterday):

Two New Alien Planets Discovered in Andromeda

Randall is right... this IS an exciting time right now. Oh, if only humankind had the sense to devote more of it's "planetary wealth" towards the right things...
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:00 am UTC

Even with better telescopes, we'd still only see the planets as they were many years ago.

between3and30

Postby between3and30 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:15 am UTC

"All 786 known planets"

"This is our solar system"

"We know nothing about what's on any of them."

We've got a long way to go if we know practically nothing about the very planet that we live on.

ldsheinz

Postby ldsheinz » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:18 am UTC

So what i wonder is if there might be life on other planets but cause they are so far away it has yet to manifest itself in anyway.

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:22 am UTC

Linux0s wrote:
Arancaytar wrote:

Perhaps this was an inevitable Pluto reference.

I thought the missing dot was a reference to Ceres.

obarey

Postby obarey » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:25 am UTC

ldsheinz wrote:So what i wonder is if there might be life on other planets but cause they are so far away it has yet to manifest itself in anyway.

Or maybe we can detect traces of some industrial civilizations in the near future but that planet will be some hundred light years away and today they would have already destroyed themselves with nuclear holocaust, which we would never know.

carolineee

Postby carolineee » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:33 am UTC

If you want to contribute to the next level of this chart or are just in a state of "bored hanging around on the internet" go to http://www.planethunters.org/ and start hunting for planets. It's really nice for killing time and more useful than playing minesweeper or the like ;)

Farabor

Postby Farabor » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:34 am UTC

It's okay, according to the alt text, we're still safely halfway away from the Matryoshka limit.

VanI

Postby VanI » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:47 am UTC

pbnjstowell wrote:If small planets are fairly common, does that mean we can reinstate Pluto as a planet again?

No.
I swear, a fireball lied to me just the other day...

jozwa

Postby jozwa » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:51 am UTC

I always confuse exoplanet to mean a planet that could host extraterrestrial life.

random5

Postby random5 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:13 am UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:

Dear colorblind,
There is no hidden joke. Don't even worry about it.
Love,
Me

But is there a hidden message that only the colourblind can see (easily)!?!

Edit: Nevemind, set it to black and white in paint.net, there isn't

RebeccaRGB

Postby RebeccaRGB » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:21 am UTC

The first time I loaded this comic, I saw comic 786. Every time after though, I saw comic 1071.
Stephen Hawking: Great. The entire universe was destroyed.
Fry: Destroyed? Then where are we now?
Al Gore: I don't know. But I can darn well tell you where we're not—the universe!

Antior

Postby Antior » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:27 am UTC

Why are some of you being confused about the 'dots' in our solar system?

The two huge ones are Jupiter and Saturn, the blue balls are Uranus and Neptune, the two dots in the middle are Venus and Earth (I guess), the tiny dot above Jupiter is Mars, and the tiniest thing at the bottom is Mercury.

All eight are accounted for. There's no Ceres or Pluto joke in the picture.

jmun7616

Postby jmun7616 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:35 am UTC

Does anyone else find then title "Exoplanets" annoying when planets in our solar system are also shown?

JimsMaher

Postby JimsMaher » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:17 am UTC

Antior wrote:Why are some of you being confused about the 'dots' in our solar system?

The two huge ones are Jupiter and Saturn, the blue balls are Uranus and Neptune, the two dots in the middle are Venus and Earth (I guess), the tiny dot above Jupiter is Mars, and the tiniest thing at the bottom is Mercury.

All eight are accounted for. There's no Ceres or Pluto joke in the picture.

No one's confused.
But the old definition of planets is still in the public consciousness, so it gets dredged up virtually everytime the planets are listed in a publicly trafficked forum.

To be clear however; Ceres, Pluto, Makemake, Haumea, and Eris are all missing from the box o' dots Randall made to represent the Sol system of planets. He only included the known Terrestrial Planets and Gas Giants, while leaving out the Dwarf Planets orbiting the Sun.

Regardless of your count, there are a number of currently documented "planets" in the solar system ... indeed ... edit:

It should be noted that from a planet-hunter's perspective, a large moon is potentially bigger and more likely to be found than a small "legit" planet, as defined. Case in point, two moons in this solar system are larger than the smallest planet, Mercury (Ganymede and Titan), and by that fact alone are more visible to distant observers. Also, that those two in particular are much further from their star, compared to Mercury, makes them that much larger a target, visibly. Think of that as the most basic optical illusion (see Perceived visual angle), and is a critical consideration in calculating the likely actual sizes of these exoplanets.

That raises a relevant point ... he's consolidated a lot of separate observations, from a number of sources, into a single graph here. Yet each represented exoplanet is only an approximation of the actual size, each with its own margin of error. Oh well, I suppose that makes it a fascinating collection of best guesses.
Last edited by JimsMaher on Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:39 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Gefrierbrand

Postby Gefrierbrand » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:22 am UTC

between3and30 wrote:"All 786 known planets"

"This is our solar system"

"We know nothing about what's on any of them."

We've got a long way to go if we know practically nothing about the very planet that we live on.

Technically speaking, we only feel like we know much about earth, but for each known fact there are a few dozen unknown ones, but they don't come up in everyday live.
So earth is actually and truly undiscovered yet.
This signature is written in Spanish while you don't look!

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:19 am UTC

Observationall sciences amuse me with they'reterrible language skills.

These are the 768 known planets.

Planets are turning out to be so common that to show all the planets in our galaxy, this chart would have to be nested in itself--with each planet replaced by a copy of the chart--at least three levels deep.

So... obviously we know about more?? DOH! This's how crap like the "only using 30% of your brain" rumor gets a started.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

pkcommando

Postby pkcommando » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:00 am UTC

Does anyone else think this comic works best if read in the voice of a giddy child?
"The Universe is for raptors now!" say Raptors, as they take over all of Universe.

chemicalfan

Postby chemicalfan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:22 am UTC

scottgoblue314 wrote:

Does anyone else find it odd that the comic displaying all 786 planets broke comic 786, "Exoplanets"?

Oh me yarm, spooky!!!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”