1073: "Weekend"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Rhombix

1073: "Weekend"

Postby Rhombix » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:06 am UTC

Title: Of the two Garfields, you wouldn't think the cat would turn out to be the more compelling presidential speechwriter, but there you go.

I never thought I'd see someone explain this idea so succintly, but that's Randall for ya.

I mean, come on, do the days of the week really exist? Makes you wonder how much information is, in reality, a mere figment of the human consensus...

rhomboidal

Re: 1073: "Weekend"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:07 am UTC

But could we make it Sunday? I have enforced cardio workouts on Saturdays.

Rhombix

Postby Rhombix » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:14 am UTC

You know, this kinda reminds me of the World Calendar, where someone tried to make a version of the modern calendar that uses the same days of the week for every date of the year. It hasn't been put into use because of the huge religious objections, apparently it pushes the Sabbath one day ahead of the week each year.

But... days don't really exist, do they? I mean, if we all agreed that the year happened in incriments of nine days, would they exist? The only objective thing about the calendar is the movement of the Sun, Earth and Moon.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:18 am UTC

Only this morning I was trying to photoshop a picture of Garfield on the Iron Throne, saying "Monday is coming."

I didn't do very well.

Plasma Mongoose

Postby Plasma Mongoose » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:32 am UTC

Well for the internet at least, everyday is Caturday.
A virus walks into a bar, the bartender says "We don't serve viruses in here".
The virus replaces the bartender and says "Now we do!"

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:43 am UTC

We don't need a higher power to tell us when our weekend is, we can just work part time from Tuesday to Friday, and have the three day weekend we always wanted.

brakos82

Postby brakos82 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:46 am UTC

Rhombix wrote:But... days don't really exist, do they? I mean, if we all agreed that the year happened in incriments of nine days, would they exist? The only objective thing about the calendar is the movement of the Sun, Earth and Moon.

Didn't we just have this discussion in another comic thread?
I am Brakos, and I may or may not approve this message.

whateveries

Postby whateveries » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:56 am UTC

totally great idea, everyday being saturday, unless you are a parent of school age children, then it would be 12 years of hell.

oh and.

weekends matter to someone who draws three web comics a week for a living? still? I would have thought cheap tuesdays would be the high-light.
it's fine.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:01 am UTC

Rhombix wrote:You know, this kinda reminds me of the World Calendar, where someone tried to make a version of the modern calendar that uses the same days of the week for every date of the year. It hasn't been put into use because of the huge religious objections, apparently it pushes the Sabbath one day ahead of the week each year.

But... days don't really exist, do they? I mean, if we all agreed that the year happened in incriments of nine days, would they exist? The only objective thing about the calendar is the movement of the Sun, Earth and Moon.

I don't think most people are aware of the motion of the Sun, nor does it have any influence on our calendars, but I agree that there is no real significance to a particular date or calendar except the utlity of being able to coordinate plans and label past events.

We're heading towards Vega roughly, over that way (-->) in the above picture.

http://calgary.rasc.ca/howfast.htm
mu

JetstreamGW

Postby JetstreamGW » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:06 am UTC

We are all, in fact, working for the weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLA3cdUt5to

Time Kitten

Postby Time Kitten » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:10 am UTC

Great Randell, now I work on Saturdays. Way to ruin it all.

Actually I think the larger issue is the length of the week overall. Some more frequent shorter breaks and rarer longer breaks might do well. Saturday and Tuesday are totally my days off every week... oh, and Sunday, but that's more because there's no bus service or even morning shift that day.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:22 am UTC

Can we make every meal lasagne?
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

toadpipe

Postby toadpipe » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:40 am UTC

I wonder if all this calendar talk lately is because of ddate no longer being compiled by default in util-linux.

Kibate

Postby Kibate » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:47 am UTC

But...since we, as in we humans, defined a date we gave it a meaning.(Except for a few exceptions)
Companys work(usually) Mo-Fr and sometimes Sa, in other words we can't make everyday(or in this case monday) saturday, since we would have to work on this day, thus totally neglecting why we like saturdays/sundays to begin with(we like them because we don't have to work)

arbivark

Postby arbivark » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:07 am UTC

I mean, come on, do the days of the week really exist? Makes you wonder how much information is, in reality, a mere figment of the human consensus...

of course they do. as surely as the sun and moon exist. next you'll be telling us there's no woden, thor, or frea.

has garfield brought this up before? explainxkcd has nothing on it.

lassehp

Postby lassehp » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:23 am UTC

On a somewhat larger scale, some of us know that it is still september 1993. For almost two decades now... --
StratPlayer wrote:Fewer and fewer people writing more and more about less and less. If this trend continues, eventually it will be nobody writing everything about nothing.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:34 am UTC

lassehp wrote:On a somewhat larger scale, some of us know that it is still september 1993. For almost two decades now... --

Indeed. And for us, that one Green Day song has a whole extra layer of meaning...
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

BAReFOOt

Postby BAReFOOt » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:42 am UTC

The last panel doesn’t make sense.
We can’t make it Saturday forever, since Saturday’s whole point is that it is followed by a day (Sunday), where there is no work. It’s can’t be both Saturday, and followed by a Saturday. So at best, every second day could be Saturday.
But then, we shall call those days Caturday and Bunday! ;)

(Unless you mean a no-work Saturday followed by a no-work day [so that you can party all night]. Which of course you could do… but that’s just called being out of a job [without the partying]… or rich [with the partying]…)

Cactus Wren

Postby Cactus Wren » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:57 am UTC

Eric Knight used this as a plot point in one of his Flying Yorkshireman stories: the man tasked with blowing the whistle every weekday morning at the mine, woke up one day and realized it was Sunday even though the previous day had been Sunday. His logic was impeccable: if he didn't blow the whistle, no one would go to work in the mine. No one worked the mine on Sunday. On Sundays, he didn't blow the whistle. No matter how he approached it, this came out to mean that his not blowing the whistle would make it Sunday.

mdistancerunner

Postby mdistancerunner » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:00 am UTC

Rhombix wrote:You know, this kinda reminds me of the World Calendar, where someone tried to make a version of the modern calendar that uses the same days of the week for every date of the year. It hasn't been put into use because of the huge religious objections, apparently it pushes the Sabbath one day ahead of the week each year.

And no one wants their birthday to fall on a Monday every year.

Mirkwood

Postby Mirkwood » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:12 am UTC

BAReFOOt wrote:The last panel doesn’t make sense.
We can’t make it Saturday forever, since Saturday’s whole point is that it is followed by a day (Sunday), where there is no work. It’s can’t be both Saturday, and followed by a Saturday. So at best, every second day could be Saturday.
But then, we shall call those days Caturday and Bunday! ;)

(Unless you mean a no-work Saturday followed by a no-work day [so that you can party all night]. Which of course you could do… but that’s just called being out of a job [without the partying]… or rich [with the partying]…)

Aren't no-work Saturdays followed by no-work Sundays fairly standard? I mean, it depends on the job you have, but certainly a lot of people work Monday to Friday and have Saturday and Sunday off. The point of Saturday is that there's no work on Saturday, nor any other obligations (like going to church).

ouin

Postby ouin » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:33 am UTC

Eternal Density wrote:Can we make every meal lasagne?

Yes we can!
I don't like signatures.

algernone

Postby algernone » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:21 am UTC

I got so inspired by the revolutionary comic, and the prospect of Forever Saturday, that I made a custom little locale for Unix systems, with which, the revolution can be accomplished in one swift move. All you need to do, is download it, compile it, and export LC_TIME into your environment:

Code: Select all

$ wget http://madhouse-project.org/algernon/fun/forever-saturday/en_algernon
$ sudo localedef -f UTF-8 -i en_algernon en_algernon.UTF-8
$ LC_TIME=en_algernon.UTF-8 date
Sat Jun 25 13:18:22 CEST 2012

And that's about it.

I hope my little contribution will help further the revolution. VIVA LA REVOLUTION! VIVA SABATO!

herdi42

Postby herdi42 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:29 am UTC

I don't really get the title text: who is the other Garfield? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garfield_%28disambiguation%29 has so many of them.

Aggro

Postby Aggro » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:36 am UTC

Every day is Saturday when you're unemployed.

Mirkwood

Postby Mirkwood » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:45 am UTC

herdi42 wrote:I don't really get the title text: who is the other Garfield? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garfield_% ... guation%29 has so many of them.

One is Garfield the cat, the other is President James A. Garfield, who you would naturally expect to be better at presidential speeches.

radtea

Postby radtea » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:50 am UTC

Rhombix wrote:But... days don't really exist, do they? I mean, if we all agreed that the year happened in incriments of nine days, would they exist? The only objective thing about the calendar is the movement of the Sun, Earth and Moon.

That word you keep using, I do not think it means what you think it means.

Of course days of the week "exist", and have precisely the same ontological status as every other entity: they are demarcated from otherwise uncategorized reality by an act of selective attention by a knowing subject, just as the movements of the Sun, Earth and Moon are, and indeed, just at the Sun, Earth and Moon themselves are.

Humans happen to have a particular collection of perceptual abilities that are such as to draw our attention very easily to certain aspects of uncategorized reality, and naive humans have a tendency to say that aspects of uncategorized reality that are selected by their attention on that basis are "real" and nothing else is.

But in fact everything is real. Some ways of categorizing reality for human purposes are more useful, and some are simply wrong: uncategorized reality constrains but does not determine the categories we may impose on it by acts of selective attention.
Coming on Midsummer's Day to a Web Browser Near You: http://www.songsofalbion.com

jonadab

Postby jonadab » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:10 pm UTC

We theoretically could make every day Saturday, sure, but it is equally true we could eliminate Saturdays altogether in favor of having two Mondays in each week. Sunday, Monday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and back to Sunday. One advantage of this scheme is that many employers would then be willing to give us Fridays off from work.

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:57 pm UTC

For those misunderstanding/confused by the alt/mouseover/title/whatever-text:

Basically the stump speech is an "I Hate Mondays" screed*. As Garfield (the comic strip cat) became emblematic of the "I Hate Mondays" screed, the text is saying that Garfield (the Cat) is a better presidential speechwriter than Garfield (the late lamented 19th century President), as people will respond better to an "Every Day is Saturday!" position than, well, anything.

On an aside**, there was a great book written about the 1880 Election called Dark Horse. Definitely recommended for those interested in post-Civil War politics.

*No clue if I'm using the word 'screed' correctly.
**No clue if 'on an aside' is a cromulent phrasing.
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

philsov
Not a fan of Diane Kruger

Postby philsov » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:14 pm UTC

Sounds like someone has a case of the Saturdays!

The time and seasons go on, but all the rhymes and reasons are wrong
I know I'll discover after its all said and done I should've been a nun.

belgarion89

Postby belgarion89 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:19 pm UTC

This is probably the most elegant way to dispatch Rebecca Black yet. Kudos, Randall.

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:23 pm UTC

Something always bothered me about Garfield not liking Mondays. I made a comic about it once.

Bad art aside, I'm really happy with how that comic turned out. Hence the plug here. But dang, Garfield is really hard to draw.

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:14 pm UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:Something always bothered me about Garfield not liking Mondays. I made a comic about it once.

Bad art aside, I'm really happy with how that comic turned out. Hence the plug here. But dang, Garfield is really hard to draw.

I liked it!

EpicanicusStrikes
Random Boners = True Attraction

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:17 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:On an aside**, there was a great book written about the 1880 Election called Dark Horse. Definitely recommended for those interested in post-Civil War politics.

I will read that, but only if it turns out that Garfield had a secret history of battling were-horses. Or perhaps Nightmares from Piers Anthony's 'Xanth' novels.

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:26 pm UTC

EpicanicusStrikes wrote:I will read that, but only if it turns out that Garfield had a secret history of battling were-horses. Or perhaps Nightmares from Piers Anthony's 'Xanth' novels.

It's more to do with how the first incarnation of the Evil League of Evil tried to manipulate the government

TheAbstractor

Postby TheAbstractor » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:35 pm UTC

Rabbi Eliezar is way ahead of you.

EpicanicusStrikes
Random Boners = True Attraction

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:59 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:
EpicanicusStrikes wrote:I will read that, but only if it turns out that Garfield had a secret history of battling were-horses. Or perhaps Nightmares from Piers Anthony's 'Xanth' novels.

It's more to do with how the first incarnation of the Evil League of Evil tried to manipulate the government

Why is it that we never hear about the Blasé League of Indifference stepping up? Historically speaking, of course.

TheHuckster

Postby TheHuckster » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:01 pm UTC

The problem with this plan is XKCD, being updated Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, would cease to exist.

That said, if Randall changed it so it was updated Saturdays, we'd have a new XKCD every day.

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:14 pm UTC

EpicanicusStrikes wrote:Why is it that we never hear about the Blasé League of Indifference stepping up? Historically speaking, of course.

Meh, they thought about it every now and then.

zbailey

Postby zbailey » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:44 pm UTC

But it turns out that nature does know what day of the week it is, thanks to anthropogenic aerosols!

From "Why do tornados and hailstorms rest on weekends?" http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2011/2011JD016214.shtml

This study shows for the first time statistical evidence that when anthropogenic aerosols over the eastern United States during summertime are at their weekly mid-week peak, tornado and hailstorm activity there is also near its weekly maximum. The weekly cycle in summertime storm activity for 1995–2009 was found to be statistically significant and unlikely to be due to natural variability. It correlates well with previously observed weekly cycles of other measures of storm activity. The pattern of variability supports the hypothesis that air pollution aerosols invigorate deep convective clouds in a moist, unstable atmosphere, to the extent of inducing production of large hailstones and tornados. This is caused by the effect of aerosols on cloud drop nucleation, making cloud drops smaller and hydrometeors larger. According to simulations, the larger ice hydrometeors contribute to more hail. The reduced evaporation from the larger hydrometeors produces weaker cold pools. Simulations have shown that too cold and fast-expanding pools inhibit the formation of tornados. The statistical observations suggest that this might be the mechanism by which the weekly modulation in pollution aerosols is causing the weekly cycle in severe convective storms during summer over the eastern United States. Although we focus here on the role of aerosols, they are not a primary atmospheric driver of tornados and hailstorms but rather modulate them in certain conditions.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”