1073: "Weekend"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

burdges

Re: 1073: "Weekend"

Postby burdges » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:36 pm UTC

You know, Bertrand Russell proposed exactly this in his 1932 essay In Praise of Idleness.
http://www.zpub.com/notes/idle.html
I enjoyed the existing alt text but this comic could use a Russell reference as well, maybe white hair and a pipe perhaps? ;)

Arcadious

Postby Arcadious » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:05 pm UTC

This reminded me of an old Garfield cartoon before I even read the rollover text:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h756r6N-bN8

Tahoe

Postby Tahoe » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:40 pm UTC

Elemeno P - Every Day's A Saturday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALLkpr7yPT8

anian

Postby anian » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:43 pm UTC

GodShapedBullet wrote:Something always bothered me about Garfield not liking Mondays. I made a comic about it once.

I've always had the same issue. Loved the comic, especially the ending.

Mirkwood

Postby Mirkwood » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:11 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:*No clue if I'm using the word 'screed' correctly.
**No clue if 'on an aside' is a cromulent phrasing.

According to the Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 10th Edition, as taken from Dictionary.com, a screed is "a long or prolonged speech or piece of writing". I don't think Garfield comics typically have/had enough text to qualify as a screed, that honor goes to Ctrl+Alt+Del.

An aside is a set of lines in a play spoken by the actor directly to the audience; the other characters can't hear the lines in question. Hence, I think "as an aside" is a more logical phrasing, or possibly "An aside:". You could of course also use parentheses.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:26 pm UTC

radtea wrote:Of course days of the week "exist", and have precisely the same ontological status as every other entity: they are demarcated from otherwise uncategorized reality by an act of selective attention by a knowing subject, just as the movements of the Sun, Earth and Moon are

Again I must point out that by your argument here the movement of the sun doesn't exist, as few people are regularly made aware of the motion of the sun.

Draw a line from the Sun towards Vega, does it feel like you're going that way at over a hundred miles per second?

As for mondays, I'd say this is a pretty good reason, if depressing.
mu

Mirkwood

Postby Mirkwood » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:54 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:
radtea wrote:Of course days of the week "exist", and have precisely the same ontological status as every other entity: they are demarcated from otherwise uncategorized reality by an act of selective attention by a knowing subject, just as the movements of the Sun, Earth and Moon are

Again I must point out that by your argument here the movement of the sun doesn't exist, as few people are regularly made aware of the motion of the sun.

You don't need to be regularly aware of something to grasp and support it as a concept.

That said, I think the whole discussion is based on semantics. Using one definition of the word real, we can argue that imaginary things are real, which might seem like a paradox. Let's take Middle-earth as an example--it's a figment of Tolkien's imagination. But Tolkien talked to us about it, and we can talk to each other about it, and we all know what Middle-earth is and what characteristics it has. Middle-earth is very real, in that sense; it influences our thoughts and behavior.

On the other hand, Middle-earth is not objectively real or tangible. We can not touch Middle-earth, and for people who have never heard of Middle-earth, the term has no meaning if I say something about it. This is different from the Sun: we can all observe the Sun directly, and though we might disagree on its characteristics at times, to deny the existence of the Sun can't take away the sensory effects it causes.

Tl;dr, there's a difference between tangible objects and ideas or concepts, but either can be called real, depending on what definition of the word you use.

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:22 pm UTC

Perhaps I've misrepresented my position.

The motion of the sun has no influence whatsoever on our calendar, only the motion of the Earth and the remaining lunar calendar influences do.

Properly representing the motion of the sun isn't often done, to the point where NASA illustrations of the position of the Voyagers seem to imply that the solar system moves like a frisbee through the galaxy, rather than being tilted up at a steep angle as it plows through the interstellar gases.

The Solar System is moving almost straight towards the perspective of this image:

Yet it is presented as though the bow shock should be over on that side -> like we're moving that way here:

The apparent motion of the sun is only due to the Earth moving, which provides the choice of day and year duration, and the orbit of the moon is supposed to have influenced our choice of month durations, though they no longer coincide with any significance.
mu

GodShapedBullet

Postby GodShapedBullet » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:02 pm UTC

anian wrote:
GodShapedBullet wrote:Something always bothered me about Garfield not liking Mondays. I made a comic about it once.

I've always had the same issue. Loved the comic, especially the ending.

Thanks!

Yeah, it's also kind of a wonder how Garfield ever got drinking coffee. He never needs to be awake and basically sleeps all the time anyway.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:01 pm UTC

Max™ wrote:

Draw a line from the Sun towards Vega, does it feel like you're going that way at over a hundred miles per second?

Oh crap! There goes my hat!

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:05 pm UTC

Aggro wrote:Every day is Saturday when you're unemployed.

My dad would say, "When you're retired, everyday is Saturday."

Then my mom would get the honey-do jar.

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Mon Jun 25, 2012 10:26 pm UTC

Indeed. And for us, that one Green Day song has a whole extra layer of meaning...

Indeed! The only question is what type of shrimp I'm cooking tonight. I'm thinking about a nice Cajun. That was some booty shaking out of my chair funny. Cheers!

.--

We are all, in fact, working for the weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLA3cdUt5to

Bump, Set, Spike. Surfs up at the break point, down river. I believe the thermocline has many layers at the mouth of the river.

my bad. I need some practice calculating aperture and shutter speed. What I wouldn't give for an automatic light meter.

Thank you, Randall.
Last edited by The Cat on Wed Jun 27, 2012 2:06 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Manabu

Postby Manabu » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:06 pm UTC

Was I the only one who saw a stick figure walking in a exercise treadmill, on a cliff, by the sea? :lol:

willaaaaaa

Postby willaaaaaa » Tue Jun 26, 2012 6:18 pm UTC

belgarion89 wrote:This is probably the most elegant way to dispatch Rebecca Black yet. Kudos, Randall.

I don't think this comment got the love it deserved.
+1, belgarion.
"If you can't control your peanut butter, you can't expect to control your life." - Bill Watterson

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”