1077: "Home Organization"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

acin

Re: 1076: "Home Organization"

Postby acin » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:39 pm UTC

kasmeneo wrote: Attention is a precious resource. Don't waste it on socks!

Actually, I just read an interesting article about attention in a scientific magazine (SPEKTRUM, a german publication of the "Scientific American") which claims that attention is basically made up of three limited ressources:
-The time used to "collect" stimuli
-The width of your view field - basically just the buffer space used for stimuli inside the brain
-The gravity of your current activity: how easy is it to drag you away from what you do?

The socks show that you waste the time and a lack of "general gravity". This means that you don't do the laundry often enough, so your brain still stays open for unestimated events. doing the laundry oftener would make you worry less about it. :mrgreen:

Güy

Postby Güy » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:40 pm UTC

Graff wrote:
Alltat wrote:Step 4: After each time you wash, put the clean socks back in the drawer (unpaired and uncounted) and shuffle the contents. This ensures an even level of wear.

I find it easier to just make a queue: remove socks from one end of the drawer, slide socks down to the removal end, add clean socks to the opposite end of the drawer.

It wears them down more evenly than the randomization method since with randomization you will tend to end up with a wide distribution of sock wear. A queue will end up with roughly the same amount of wear for each sock. The queue is also much easier to perform than mixing the socks up randomly.

Thanks, you just gave me a great idea for a automatic sock dispenser! Be sure to look for the infomercial in a few months.

blowfishhootie

Re: Devices?

Postby blowfishhootie » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:09 pm UTC

kasmeneo wrote:Am I the only one wondering what the two devices on the right are?
One looks like a wireless LAN station, but the other?
Looks like a gaming console, but that makes no sense without a TV. So what is it?

a media server perhaps?

Are you guys being serious?

It's a modem and a wireless router.

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:20 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
kasmeneo wrote:Am I the only one wondering what the two devices on the right are?
Looks like a gaming console, but that makes no sense without a TV. So what is it?

a media server perhaps?

I have never had those 2 things separate before. I thought it was standard to have them both built into the same box.

Alex-J

Re: 1077: "Home Organization"

Postby Alex-J » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:24 pm UTC

asmodai wrote:Is the comic release staggered in some way? I've noticed sometimes that I won't see the new comic if I check within a an hour or so of midnight, and have to click through to the forum thread to see it.

Nope, though I've had that problem too. Clicking refresh, next, and last buttons don't help, but typing in the address with what the next comic number will be will take you to the new comic. Very very rarely is there a stagger.

I only have this problem when I'm on xkcd right before the new comic.

Radical Pi

Postby Radical Pi » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:43 pm UTC

Alex-J wrote:
asmodai wrote:Is the comic release staggered in some way? I've noticed sometimes that I won't see the new comic if I check within a an hour or so of midnight, and have to click through to the forum thread to see it.

Nope, though I've had that problem too. Clicking refresh, next, and last buttons don't help, but typing in the address with what the next comic number will be will take you to the new comic. Very very rarely is there a stagger.

I only have this problem when I'm on xkcd right before the new comic.

Your browser's cache is not realizing the page has changed. Wikipedia has a url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Bypass_your_cache]good article[/url] with instructions on how to bypass the cache for each browser

Postby AvatarIII » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:54 pm UTC

ctrl+F5 to refresh is normally a good easy one that works in most browsers.

ElWanderer

Postby ElWanderer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:It's a modem and a wireless router.

I have never had those 2 things separate before. I thought it was standard to have them both built into the same box.

As recently as 2008, our ISP-supplied cable modem was just that: a cable modem, with no additional bells or whistles. We supplied our own router, switch and wireless access point. It is pretty standard to get an all-in-one box from your ISP, though.
Now I am become Geoff, the destroyer of worlds

Story

Postby Story » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:07 pm UTC

GOMHR (Get out of my house Randall). I wonder how he managed to get that photo anyway...

mmmCatSoup

Postby mmmCatSoup » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:32 pm UTC

mess is like a gas, it expands freely to fill any space available. If you throw stuff out, the stuff left will expand to take its place.

asmodai

Postby asmodai » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:29 pm UTC

It's not caching, for me anyway. That's the only thing that makes the phenomenon worth mentioning: It even stays stale when I switch to another browser which I use too infrequently to have the page cached.

You know, something just occurred to me this second. I probably noticed this problem long ago and thought nothing of it, let it slide. Then on some given day I'm feeling eager enough to clear my cache and switch browsers {which I certainly don't bother to do every time}.. and that just HAPPENED to be a day the comic was actually delayed a little.

If that happened, I'd probably I generalize that, filing the problem in my head as 'not caching', just because it wasn't one time.

Hmm..

The Cat

Postby The Cat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:38 pm UTC

Spoiler:
never give up.jpeg
never give up.jpeg (14.19 KiB) Viewed 5683 times

FlySoftiii

HiRes version

Postby FlySoftiii » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:39 pm UTC

Hey Guys,

I tried to make an more Hi-Res version...
It isn't that good, but for me it's good enough ;)

Spoiler:

Code: Select all

http://files.flysoftiii.de/Home.png

Licence of my part ist Public Domain - so you can do whatever you want with the Image, as long as you mention that it's based on a image of xkcd ;)

Have fun ^^
FlySoftiii

BirdKiller

Postby BirdKiller » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:47 pm UTC

This comic perfectly illustrates my process and priorities whenever I move into a new apartment.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:48 pm UTC

The Moomin wrote:So if we have a blue sock three places to the right of a red sock, are they in the same place?

NO. There are no "places".
1SOCK = REDRED SOCK1
2SOCK = BLUEBLUE SOCK2

1 sock.... 2 sock.... red sock.... blue sock.... so simple WATSON
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

StClair

Postby StClair » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:41 pm UTC

Don't think I haven't been tempted.

fernie

Postby fernie » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:46 pm UTC

Recently started looking for an apartment/studio and will be moving soon. Having lived at home for most of college, then going from roommate to roommate since then, I am realizing that most of my stuff will fit in a very very small uhaul or even just a single trip in a friend's pick up truck. Granted at the moment it is all crammed in a single 12'x12' room, I am certain it will expand to fill whatever size apartment I can find. Clothes, books, computer, computer table, bed, 1 wooden dresser, 1 plastic drawer thing, and two book shelves, and 4 "appliances" which serve to make popcorn, coffee, and tea.
Yeah... now I dunno if I should feel happy or sad of these facts...

Once I move I need to upload a picture to that "all I own" website thing... but until then I'm way too lazy to try to pile everything in a corner just to have to unfold the bed to sleep at night, it would also require undoing the cables on the computer and stuff, too much work.

Oh yeah, I have started the sock-conversion, just need to decide on what particular sock I will wear for the rest of my life, as well as wait a few more months for the socks that a dear friend of mine gave me wear out as to not toss them prematurely.

Other pro-tip: use the shoes from http://xkcd.com/1065/ and you can toss out all the non-dress socks as well

Max™

Postby Max™ » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:47 pm UTC

glasnt wrote:I always wondered why people used "Misc" instead of the full name, but it turns out that miscellanous miscellenious miscellaneous is hard to spell.

Oh dear did I rofl fully until my buttocks descended from my body to an undeclared location.

Pfhorrest wrote:
The Moomin wrote:So if we have a blue sock three places to the right of a red sock, are they in the same place?

NO. There are no "places".
1SOCK = REDRED SOCK1
2SOCK = BLUEBLUE SOCK2

1 sock.... 2 sock.... red sock.... blue sock.... so simple WATSON

mu

VectorZero

Postby VectorZero » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:37 am UTC

Oktalist wrote:As long as your insertion algorithm resembles your search algorithm, you should be alright.
Please don't start the Pickup Artist argument again ;)
blowfishhootie wrote:
Arancaytar wrote:My ~/ is organized quite similarly. Except that when my ~/misc got very full, I started to organize the things inside it, resulting in a ~/misc/misc folder and after that a ~/misc/misc/misc folder. Guess what happened next.

Well this is just stupid. Once you organize things by whatever category you choose, it no longer makes sense to keep them in a misc. folder.
Rule 1: Never retreat.
fernie wrote:4 "appliances" which serve to make popcorn, coffee, and tea.
That sounds inefficient. Suggest condensing appliances to popcorn maker and condense released steam to make hot beverage of choice. This may require some adjustment in consumption patterns, but I'm sure you'll cope.
Van wrote:Fireballs don't lie.

javahead

Postby javahead » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:52 am UTC

Wooloomooloo wrote:
ijuin wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:
asmodai wrote:I have a theory about mess: like energy, it cannot be created or destroyed, and can only change forms / concentrations. Every time I tidy up a room a little, one drawer becomes highly chaotic. If I organize my drawers and closets, my car explodes.

You, evil, EVIL person! Don't you care at all about your entropy footprint?!? I mean, think of the children...!

Isn't this WHY I had children; to clean and organize upon my orders?

Spoiler:
Granted, the first few years we had a very large entropic footprint (footprint of entropy?), but now that they're slightly more independent I'm making up for the lost time.

Phasma Felis

Postby Phasma Felis » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:32 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
Arancaytar wrote:My ~/ is organized quite similarly. Except that when my ~/misc got very full, I started to organize the things inside it, resulting in a ~/misc/misc folder and after that a ~/misc/misc/misc folder. Guess what happened next.

Well this is just stupid. Once you organize things by whatever category you choose, it no longer makes sense to keep them in a misc. folder.

Incorrect! If you have a large number of items that are so unique that each is the only one in its category*, then giving each of them a mostly-empty directory/container bloats your whole storage system for no real gain. They all go in the Misc/Other container.

*Can also apply to categories with, like, 2-3 items, depending on what they are.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:16 am UTC

Phasma Felis wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:

Incorrect! If you have a large number of items that are so unique that each is the only one in its category*

No, it is still stupid. For what you are saying to apply, (s)he would have had to have created a bunch of folders with in his misc folder that each had only one item in them, and that of course makes no sense. That's why they're in the misc folder - if you're going to put them in their own separate folders individually, why even create the misc folder in the first place? If they are sorted by multiple things in the same category, it is no longer miscellaneous. The original person I quoted said there was a "miscellaneous" group smaller than and entirely within the original "miscellaneous" set, and there is no circumstance whatsoever in which that makes even the slightest amount of sense.

Who creates folders with one thing in them? That's not organization, that's just ... a waste of time and energy.

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:30 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:That's why they're in the misc folder - if you're going to put them in their own separate folders individually, why even create the misc folder in the first place? If they are sorted by multiple things in the same category, it is no longer miscellaneous. The original person I quoted said there was a "miscellaneous" group smaller than and entirely within the original "miscellaneous" set, and there is no circumstance whatsoever in which that makes even the slightest amount of sense..

You're making a faulty initial assumption: that the original misc folder was truly a misc folder, and not simply a "I can't be arsed to sort this stuff now."

Example:
The first iteration is to organize, say, 3 major projects, and everything not in those projects go into the misc folder.

The second iteration (done within the misc folder) is to organize, say, 5 medium projects, and everything not in those projects go into the misc/misc folder.

The third iteration is to organize 7 minor projects, and everything else goes into the final misc/misc/misc folder.

The organizational mistake, of course, is not moving the folders back a level at the completion of each sort iteration. But it's a viable scenario.

TL, DR: Not every organization project is completed in one sitting.
"Winter is Coming, Simba"

Max™

Postby Max™ » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:35 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:That's why they're in the misc folder - if you're going to put them in their own separate folders individually, why even create the misc folder in the first place? If they are sorted by multiple things in the same category, it is no longer miscellaneous. The original person I quoted said there was a "miscellaneous" group smaller than and entirely within the original "miscellaneous" set, and there is no circumstance whatsoever in which that makes even the slightest amount of sense..

You're making a faulty initial assumption: that the original misc folder was truly a misc folder, and not simply a "I can't be arsed to sort this stuff now."

Example:
The first iteration is to organize, say, 3 major projects, and everything not in those projects go into the misc folder.

The second iteration (done within the misc folder) is to organize, say, 5 medium projects, and everything not in those projects go into the misc/misc folder.

The third iteration is to organize 7 minor projects, and everything else goes into the final misc/misc/misc folder.

The organizational mistake, of course, is not moving the folders back a level at the completion of each sort iteration. But it's a viable scenario.

TL, DR: Not every organization project is completed in one sitting.

Very few should be done in one sitting, it usually means you fucked up something, I was doing an organization project and wound up fucking up a few sectors while clearing out a couple of old and unused OS partitions, not realizing that during one of the installs I hadn't specified to NOT use my main partition grub, and wound up clearing that out by mistake... by that point it was so much of a pain in the ass that I just said fuck it and did a clean reinstall.
mu

bantler

Postby bantler » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:41 pm UTC

I knew this was familiar…

Steve Jobs at home 1982.
http://img.brajeshwar.com/steve-jobs-at-home-1982.jpg

Headrushed

Postby Headrushed » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:22 pm UTC

Am I the only one that saw this as a huge shout-out to minecraft?

PolakoVoador

Postby PolakoVoador » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:03 pm UTC

Headrushed wrote:Am I the only one that saw this as a huge shout-out to minecraft?

Hmm.. yes.

sk8ingdom

Postby sk8ingdom » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:30 pm UTC

Get out of my head. I've moved four times in the last two years so I constantly run into the problem of too much stuff. My strategy?

1) Less clothes = less laundry. Also make sure everything matches with everything else. Three pairs of shoes max.
2) Less computers. I have too many and recently got rid of a bunch. Pretty much everything you need to do can be accomplished with a NAS and a laptop.
3) Plastic boxes for everything. Make sure they're stackable for easy storage when not in use.
4) You can never have too many bags. They're compact, and incredibly useful.
5) Zip ties and duct tape.
6) 100% digital storage of files.
7) If everything can't fit in your car, you're doing it wrong.

What are some of your eliminating stuff strategies? Or have you completely given up?

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:20 pm UTC

sk8ingdom wrote:What are some of your eliminating stuff strategies? Or have you completely given up?

Well, the easiest thing to do is to not acquire stuff to begin with. And it's not simply about going digital in regards to media; I always check to see if the library has a book or CD I'm interested in first.

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:40 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:The organizational mistake, of course, is not moving the folders back a level at the completion of each sort iteration. But it's a viable scenario.

Yes, and that's exactly the criticism I levied:

blowfishhootie wrote:

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:00 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:
SerMufasa wrote:The organizational mistake, of course, is not moving the folders back a level at the completion of each sort iteration. But it's a viable scenario.

blowfishhootie wrote:

Laziness =/= Stupidity

valerietheblonde

Postby valerietheblonde » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:33 pm UTC

I thought I had the sock problem solved when I bought toe shoes two years ago. Then they came out with toe shoes that required toe socks...

Max™

Postby Max™ » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:33 pm UTC

Don't forget simple accidents like going to save something without noticing that you had a duplicate folder, so after seeing the name you expected you hit enter out of habit until at some point you realize you've been putting some files in one folder and others in the same named folder one directory up.
mu

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:02 pm UTC

SerMufasa wrote:
blowfishhootie wrote:

blowfishhootie wrote:

Laziness =/= Stupidity

Oh man, I feel silly going into this level of detail about this, yet here I am.

The quote I responded to said the poster was taking the time to organize everything, and wound up with a miscellaneous folder. Then, the poster took the time to organize everything in that miscellaneous folder, thereby making it no longer miscellaneous, but kept the actual miscellaneous things in the miscellaneous folder subset in the original miscellaneous folder. Then that action was completed at least one time even further from that. It's not lazy, because the person is taking the time to organize things. It is stupid. It is a failure to understand what the words "organized" and "miscellaneous" mean. And it is adding an unnecessary level of mess between the poster and their materials. Ultimately, proper organization is going to come down to the preferences of the user, but a user growing accustomed to and eventually preferring an inefficient system doesn't change the fact that the system is inefficient.

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:12 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:Oh man, I feel silly going into this level of detail about this, yet here I am.

The quote I responded to said the poster was taking the time to organize everything, and wound up with a miscellaneous folder. Then, the poster took the time to organize everything in that miscellaneous folder, thereby making it no longer miscellaneous, but kept the actual miscellaneous things in the miscellaneous folder subset in the original miscellaneous folder. Then that action was completed at least one time even further from that. It's not lazy, because the person is taking the time to organize things. It is stupid. It is a failure to understand what the words "organized" and "miscellaneous" mean. And it is adding an unnecessary level of mess between the poster and their materials. Ultimately, proper organization is going to come down to the preferences of the user, but a user growing accustomed to and eventually preferring an inefficient system doesn't change the fact that the system is inefficient.

You do realize that the poster was probably joking, right?

blowfishhootie

Postby blowfishhootie » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:22 am UTC

Nothing indicates that to me, but sarcasm is notoriously hard to detect in type. The real question then becomes, if you think the comment that I was responding to was a joke, why did you join in on and continue the conversation?

kasmeneo

Postby kasmeneo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:56 am UTC

acin wrote:The socks show that you waste the time and a lack of "general gravity". This means that you don't do the laundry often enough, so your brain still stays open for unestimated events. doing the laundry oftener would make you worry less about it. :mrgreen:

Doing laundry is something I use as sort of meditation. And whatever you do as meditation, you should do it with total focus and concentration, without distracting other thoughts. That's why I carefully stretch and hang my t-shirts on the line, spacing them in a way that they dry quickly, and of course sort the socks.
It's cooler up here.

kasmeneo

Postby kasmeneo » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:00 am UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:

a media server perhaps?

Same here, that's why I asked. I favor the media server/external hard disk variant so far.
It's cooler up here.

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:22 pm UTC

blowfishhootie wrote:Nothing indicates that to me, but sarcasm is notoriously hard to detect in type. The real question then becomes, if you think the comment that I was responding to was a joke, why did you join in on and continue the conversation?

I was bored, probably

SerMufasa

Postby SerMufasa » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:34 pm UTC

kasmeneo wrote:Same here, that's why I asked. I favor the media server/external hard disk variant so far.

I've had it both ways, depending upon the ISP.

That's what she said!

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”