1110:"Click and Drag"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

hujackus

Re: 1110:"Click and Drag"

Postby hujackus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:24 am UTC

Took two hours to make the above list and then someone posts this...
whereswalden90 wrote:I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's a google maps-esque version with zoom buttons and all. It even loads quickly!
http://xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de/#10

Proxivire

Postby Proxivire » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:16 am UTC

hujackus wrote:Took two hours to make the above list and then someone posts this...
whereswalden90 wrote:I don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's a google maps-esque version with zoom buttons and all. It even loads quickly!
http://xkcd-map.rent-a-geek.de/#10

And they did so fast too :P

I wrote a php script to find them all and stitch them together, with white blocks for the empty sky and black for the empty earth spaces, only to come here and see that everyone and their mother's pet cat have already seen the entire thing. ;)

just john

Postby just john » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:29 am UTC

Vervious wrote:I made an html file that loads it the entire map...

and it takes a while to load, be patient:

http://vervio.us/xkcd, or
http://pastehtml.com/view/cc4oeb4mx.html

Scroll down halfway and you will see the ground.

Excellent! Thanks.

Tho I already spent much of yesterday scrolling edge-to-edge. I take the the comment at the left edge about it being two miles is meant to reflect the width?

Also, I gotta love the Elizabeth Warren reference, with her in the ship's riggings. (Lots of other stuff to love, but this is one I haven't noticed anybody else mentioning.)
* Radio Free Entropy: http://just-john.com/jjMusic

GoldenJoe

Postby GoldenJoe » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:30 am UTC

I always tell everyone that xkcd is the most brilliant comic I've ever read. Sure, the author is obviously very intelligent, and comics like the economy chart are impressive on a scale that no other comic has come close to touching, but what I believe really showcases his brilliance is his world view. He has a completely pure and uninhibited sense of adventure and wonder. It is even more interesting with the support of his intelligence and ability to express his ideas. That kind of outlook on life - unlimited possibilities, embracing your true self, and helping to lift others up by sharing those adventures is truly wonderful. I would go as far as to say he is a role model - that his way of thinking is one that could benefit countless people. I also believe that with comics like today's, he succeeds in delivering his message and inspiring many of us.

madock345

Postby madock345 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:35 am UTC

If Xkcd and the Nostalgia Critic end in the same month, I don't know if I will be able to handle it...

I already literally cried when they announced that the Nostalgia Critic was ending, and I have been reading XKCD much longer.

I'm going to have to stay up all night until it updates... or dosen't...
"As the size of an Explosion increses the number of social situations it is incapable of resolving approches zero"
-Vaarsuvius, The Order of the Stick
Spoiler:
ethereal_fire wrote:madock345, I like your sig : )

Qwerty.55 wrote:I like your new recursive sig even better than before.

legonaut

Postby legonaut » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:53 am UTC

Desertislander wrote:
freezeblade wrote:
explainxkcd wrote:The scruffy character beneath the palm tree might be a reference to Desert Island Discs, a BBC radio program in which a celebrity chooses the records they would like to be stranded with if castaway. The hatch is a reference to Lost in which the passengers on board a flight over the Pacific Ocean find themselves stranded on a strange island. Their first clue that they stumbled on something out-of-the-ordinary is the hatch

Fail. with the ball there this is clearly a Cast Away reference, you know, the huge hit movie with Tom Hanks.

Multi-valence. Your response has made me love this even more. We can both bring different cultural references and interpret the cartoon differently, or at different levels, in the light of our own personal memetic spaces.

At the risk of killing the humour, let me explain my reasoning, which was missing from the wiki edit.

The scruffy man is a castaway, we know this because he is represented using the form Tom Hanks takes in the film - the castaway's avatar is a reference to Tom Hanks.

Now, the castaway appears to hold an elliptical disc with a white centre. I interpret this shape as a vinyl record with a hole for the spindle. A castaway with a record? Here is the second level of meaning: a reference to Desert Island Discs.

The humour for me came from wondering if this was a happy castaway? No, he does not appear happy, for he has no record player!

And I suspect that the ball is not a ball, because it is not a circle. In my reading, it is a coconut that has fallen from the palm tree directly overhead where, along with the other coconuts, it grew, before gravitation got the better of it.

Although Eric Burns-White at Websnark hasn't been posting there much lately, his latest post is about authorial intent:

http://new.websnark.com/post/31534074872

Seems apropos.

CZeke

Postby CZeke » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:29 am UTC

Relax, this can't be the last xkcd. He would want to sum up everything the comic was about, and there's no gratuitous or casual sex in this one.

(I half-kid because I love. This would be a spectacular comic to go out on.)
FiveMinute.net: Because stuff is long and life is short

FormicaArchonis

Postby FormicaArchonis » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:52 am UTC

hujackus wrote:Here are ALL the images. ALL OF THEM

(Snip big long list.)

Awesome list, thanks! I wanted to download 'em all and this saved me a ton of time! Question, though: http://imgs.xkcd.com/clickdrag/3n1w.png seems to be a 404. Typo?

matmatician

Postby matmatician » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:58 am UTC

sherlip wrote:So I got to the "Flagpole Sitta" reference... and now I know that North Dakota has the tallest pyramid of oil cans.

Oh god, it goes left too... that's very high up to be dropping a penny... I'd be scared.

The Harvey Danger reference was the highlight of this comic, imho :P

matmatician

Postby matmatician » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:00 am UTC

Harvey Danger's "Flagpole Sitta" by far the best part of the comic! 2nd being the Mario level with near-botomless chasms.

Mighty Flaming Frying Pan

Postby Mighty Flaming Frying Pan » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:10 am UTC

This just in: Refresh xkcd.com!

jmiezitis

Postby jmiezitis » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:12 am UTC

1111 has been posted so we can all stop worrying.

Has anyone considered that 1110 is extensible and that at some random interval Randall may add more tiles to the mosaic.

cprocjr

Postby cprocjr » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:21 am UTC

jmiezitis wrote:1111 has been posted so we can all stop worrying.

Has anyone considered that 1110 is extensible and that at some random interval Randall may add more tiles to the mosaic.

That's a very good point. Someone should write a script that automatically checks for changes every week or so.

xkcd follower

Postby xkcd follower » Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:52 am UTC

I noticed a symbolic thing on the comic: the trees.

This is the first time in years I am posting here, and I will keep posting now thanks to him again.
Enough about me, let's talk trees.

The trees I am referring are the ones near the barn, past the massive antenna. To the right of the barn is 4 trees. They represent the seasons.
Spring is the tiny sprout, beginning life.
Summer is the second one, the tree at its height.
Fall is the 3rd one, showing a transition.
Winter is the final one, barren and empty.

Also please enjoy the picture to understand this.

http://postimage.org/image/71venuavt/
"Religion is the Opiate of the Masses"- Karl Marx

That means we need a cure... Or go Cold Turkey.

sween64

Postby sween64 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:09 am UTC

De-lurking: Thank you!

Also, here's a selection of wallpapers (1920x1080 png) I made (25 in total) from the comic.

http://imgur.com/a/WAqZi#0 Enjoy!

VanI

Postby VanI » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:29 am UTC

cprocjr wrote:
jmiezitis wrote:1111 has been posted so we can all stop worrying.

That's a very good point. Someone should write a script that automatically checks for changes every week or so.

And it actually needs to check both for changes in the images already posted, as well as for any new panels.
I swear, a fireball lied to me just the other day...

Möbius

Postby Möbius » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:32 am UTC

jqavins wrote:
phlip wrote:According to the source, the full picture is 165888x79872 pixels in size.

At 600 dpi, that would print out at 23 x 11 feet. I want it. And I want a room to put it in.

I love the underground sections reminiscent of Super Metroid. Very cool.

I make part of my living printing very large images -- thousands of square feet -- on kiln-fired ceramic tile. As several others here have noted, it takes some fairly heavy iron to manipulate images this large.

Here are the stats on the Click and Drag image.

The image is made up of tiles, each tile is 2,048 px square.

The artwork proper is 81 tiles wide by 32 tiles tall, or 165,888 px wide by 65,536 px tall, or just under 11 gigapixels. The PSB file is a hair over 21 gigs.

The Javascript limits mentioned earlier in this thread indicate the image has some vertical padding above and below the rows of artwork, so it's really 81 tiles wide by 39 tiles tall. That makes it 79,872 px tall, and about 13.2 gigapixels.

At 300 dpi, this ends up 46' by 22' near eanough, or 1,012 square feet.

The best way to print this on ceramic tile would be to put each 2,048 px image on an 8" tile. That works out to 256 dpi, which is just fine for such a large mural. At that scale, it's 54' by 26', or 1,404 square feet.

You'd need 3,159 pieces of 8" tile -- which would weigh just under two tons.

The really nice part is that only 225 tiles would need printed - the rest are just all black or all white, which are easy. That would make it relatively inexpensive.

The hard part will be finding a toroid large enough to put all the tiles on. Finite yet unbounded!
--
Möbius

quillsinister

Postby quillsinister » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:33 am UTC

Marlayna wrote:Well, there *is* something else falling in 6n5w, but I don't know what it's supposed to be.

Red spiders! :)

quillsinister

Postby quillsinister » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:50 am UTC

This is just breathtaking. If Randall was ending it on this note (and I personally hope he is not), it would certainly be an epic ending. Too much awesome to list! :D

ugmhemhe

Postby ugmhemhe » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:58 am UTC

is this an alien from war of the worlds, waiting to come to the surface?
http://imgs.xkcd.com/clickdrag/2s9w.png

Vrishna

Postby Vrishna » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:01 am UTC

Anyone else got the idea to choose a portion of the comic as their Facebook title pic? Mine is here: http://facebook.com/zwergwerker but I guess there are dozens of other suitable choices. Which are your favorites? (Don't forget to include a backlink to the xkcd website in the image description!)
Wanna find out my Christian name? Can you guess by looking at this Perl code?

Code: Select all

$e=length(open(S,$0).<S>);
$GM=!$l||9;for(join$v,<S>)
{$m=join$w,/\$(\w)/gm;for(
split/$xxx/,$m){print chr(
ord()-$e/7);}}if($r){exit}

sween64

Postby sween64 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:21 am UTC

Vrishna wrote:Anyone else got the idea to choose a portion of the comic as their Facebook title pic? Mine is here: http://facebook.com/zwergwerker but I guess there are dozens of other suitable choices. Which are your favorites? (Don't forget to include a backlink to the xkcd website in the image description!)

I saw someone had made their own comic and put it as their FB cover. I just chose one of the many wallpapers I made.

https://www.facebook.com/sweeny

emphes

Postby emphes » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:18 am UTC

Let me know when someone comes up with a wall paper that scrolls automatically... I need something to fill 7MP.

Monika
Welcoming Aarvark

Postby Monika » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:35 am UTC

CheeseSucker wrote:Google Maps version.
Areas with interesting images are in black and white.

http://xkcdmap.webege.com/

I find this the most useful one! Now I finally found that there ARE things hidden in the ground (i.e. one does not get to them with following the paths), not just in the sky.
Also, there is one completely black and two completely white tiles ... why?
#xkcd-q on irc.foonetic.net - the LGBTIQQA support channel
Please donate to help these people

ogwen

Postby ogwen » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:55 am UTC

Ok people have mentioned the blank squares at n11e11, n11w11, s11e11, s11w11 - could there be a hidden QR code in there anywhere?

(been reading since #137, best comic evah!)

contrariety

Postby contrariety » Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:32 pm UTC

Is that BHG climbing the wires on the tower?

2nd anchor on the left of the tower, top guide wire of the three from that anchor. Not sure how far up.

kryton

Postby kryton » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:25 pm UTC

I love how everyone finds something in it that relates to their own experience and feelings and interests, true purpose of ART.
I really enjoyed spending the first day wandering around using the intended click and drag within the comic's frame, and experience the excitement of each new discovery, the fear of missing something, the panic of getting lost underground. I figured there were things to see in the sky and underground that were not near an edge to follow, but I wanted to experience what i could before taking the next step and looking at the wonder and detail I had missed. thanks for the help finding them with hints and url's to alternate views.

A few musings:
the 4 blank tiles at 11 N/S/E/W form the corners of a 22x22 square, probably placeholders to define the corners of the mosaic for version 1.0 ? The other 'blank' tiles are within that zone and are adjacent to active tiles, I think they are likely fill from the building of version 1. Perhaps the way Randall started building this world did not render the undefined tiles with default white sky and black ground so he put a few fill pieces in to make it look right. Later he expanded the world to ver 2.0 making it bigger and implemented the <div background=" > to fill the sky white and ground black and no longer needed to put in filler blocks, explaining the undefined space between the caverns at the lower right.

I don't think he's ending this all, but just to fan the fires or paranoia a bit, if you use a 4 bit word in 2's compliment, 1110 is -2, 1111 is -1, the next is 0.

The whales look familiar, like pictures I have seen from Jaques Ives Cousteau or National Geographic, that were Photoshopped to silhouette. The tall radio tower tapers slightly as you go up, as though it were rendered from a photo shot at ground level. The trees look similar, a silhouette rendered from a photo. Especially the giant jellyfish. Kudos for neat toys to play with, and to the provocative contrast it makes with the drawn

A sailboat in broad reach or running can look like the sails are blowing one way and the flags another.

Keep it up Randall, you have blown my mind again and given me HOURS of entertainment with this one.
1298 and counting

esby

Postby esby » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:38 pm UTC

Hello,
just to say this is a great strip that Randall did here again.

I am also actually quite curious on how he designed it and how he much time he passed on it.

Note-
I also did like others some coding to map this 'world'.
One code for getting the tilesin which I used recursivity with an algorithm to stop where there was no png file and to not explore an already explored tile.

Code in free pascal / lazarus , the curl unit is homemade, I hacked a command line tool I was working on to map it...

unit uxkcd;

{$mode objfpc}{$H+}

interface

uses
  Classes, SysUtils, curl;

type

{ TXkcdInfo }

TXkcdInfo = class
    empty:boolean;
    explored:boolean;
    filename:string;
    constructor create;
    procedure explore;
    procedure setfilename(_filename:string);
  end;

{ TXkcdGrid }

TXkcdGrid = class
    map:array[-200..200,-200..200] of TXkcdInfo;
    constructor create;
    procedure explore(x,y:integer);
    function getfilename(x,y:integer):string;
  end;

implementation

{ TXkcdGrid }

constructor TXkcdGrid.create;
var
  i:integer;
  j:integer;
begin
  for i:= -200 to 200
  do for j:=-200 to 200
  do
    map[i,j] := TXkcdInfo.create;
end;

procedure TXkcdGrid.explore(x, y: integer);
var
  i:integer;
  parameters:string;
  filename:string;
  url:string;
  vcall:string;
  stderr:TMemoryStream;
begin
  if x > 100 then exit;
  if x < -100 then exit;
  if y > 100 then exit;
  if y < -100 then exit;
  if (map[x,y].explored = true) then exit;
  map[x,y].explore;
  filename := getfilename(x,y);
  map[x,y].setfilename(filename);
  url := 'http://imgs.xkcd.com/clickdrag/' + filename;
  parameters := '-f ' +AnsiQuotedStr(url,'"') + ' ' + '-o ' + ansiQuotedStr('/home/keby/svn/linux/lfliwebsync/trunk/xkcd/'  + filename , '"' );
  stderr := TMemoryStream.create;
  writeln(parameters);
  execcurl(CURL_METHOD_GET, '/usr/bin/curl', parameters ,False, Vcall, stderr);
  writeln(vcall);
  if not FileExists('xkcd/' + filename) then exit;
  stderr.free;
  explore(x+1,y);
  explore(x-1,y);
  explore(x,y+1);
  explore(x,y-1);
end;

function TXkcdGrid.getfilename(x, y: integer): string;

begin
  // (y>=0?(y+1)+'s':-y+'n')+(x>=0?(x+1)+'e':-x+'w')
  result := '';
  if y >= 0
  then result := result + IntToStr(y+1)+'s'
  else result := result + IntToStr(-y)+'n';

if x>=0
  then result := result + IntToStr(x+1) +'e'
  else result := result + IntToStr(-x) +'w';

result := result + '.png';
end;

{ TXkcdInfo }

constructor TXkcdInfo.create;
begin
  explored:= false;
end;

procedure TXkcdInfo.explore;
begin
  explored := true;
end;

procedure TXkcdInfo.setfilename(_filename: string);
begin
  filename:= _filename;
end;

end.

I got 212 tiles, meaning I missed some tiles in the sky.

Which I assembled together with a bash script: (factor can be used to affect the size of the created png files...)

#!/bin/bash
factor=32
# x from -29 a +47 -> 77

# y from -8 à +18 -> 27
cx=78
cy=28
bx=33
by=9
let dx=$cx*$factor
let dy=$cy*$factor
convert -size "$dx"x"$dy" xc:skyblue composite.png

i=0
echo 'convert done'
for file in *.png
do
item=`echo "$file" |  sed "s/s/:s-/g" | sed "s/n/:n-/g" | sed "s/e/:e-/g" | sed "s/w/:w-/g" | sed "s/p:n-g/png/"`
xo=`echo "$item" | cut -d "-" -f 2`
yo=`echo "$item" | cut -d "-" -f 1`
xa=`echo "$xo" | cut -d ":" -f 1`
ya=`echo "$yo" | cut -d ":" -f 1`
mx=`echo "$xo" | cut -d ":" -f 2`
my=`echo "$yo" | cut -d ":" -f 2`
if [ "$mx" = "w" ]
then
let x="(-1 * $xa + $bx ) * $factor"
else
let x="($xa - 1 + $bx ) * $factor"
fi

if [ "$my" = "n" ]
then
let y="(-1 * $ya + $by ) * $factor"
else
let y="($ya - 1 + $by ) * $factor  "
fi

echo "( $x ;  $y ) of ( $dx ; $dy )"
let i="$i +1"
echo $i
composite -geometry "$factor"x"$factor"+"$x"+"$y"  \( $file -resize "$factor"x"$factor" \) composite.png composite.png
done

Then edited it a bit in gimp to paint the blank case to either near black or near white depending where they were...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/styeb/8009117785/in/photostream/lightbox/

Felis cattus diabolicus

Postby Felis cattus diabolicus » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:21 pm UTC

contrariety wrote:Is that BHG climbing the wires on the tower?

2nd anchor on the left of the tower, top guide wire of the three from that anchor. Not sure how far up.

Scroll to the right and you'll find someone more.
(4n29e, namely.)
[url=http://jezykotw.webd.pl/]Polskie Forum Językotwórców „Conlanger”

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:15 pm UTC

I see two white beret guys. One a little ways left of the starting panel (just to the right of the tall building) watching a squirrel in a tree. I see another one to the right of the start position, holding a net and chasing what looks to be a mini-helicopter(?). Is he anywhere else, hopefully doing crazy antics? I don't remember him from anywhere else, but I've only made one circuit around the map.

The RGOOMHM

Postby The RGOOMHM » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:58 pm UTC

I've just created an account to say that...

...this Opus Magnum made me completely speechless!
It's astonishing, romantic, funny and quite time-consuming ;-)

Randall, my wife begins to hate you for the time I spent in bed scrolling holes in my laptop's touchpad. :lol:

I deeply hope that this wasn't your penultimate comic as some on the board suspected. That would mean there's only 200 left for me until I catch up.
Uwe

hamaryns

Postby hamaryns » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:02 pm UTC

There’s a girl surfing a jetplane.

What’s the Becky reference about?
Hendrik Maryns
==================
http://www.lieverleven.be

jpers36

Postby jpers36 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:07 pm UTC

hamaryns wrote:There’s a girl surfing a jetplane.

What’s the Becky reference about?

Kaden

Postby Kaden » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:29 pm UTC

sween64 wrote:De-lurking: Thank you!

Also, here's a selection of wallpapers (1920x1080 png) I made (25 in total) from the comic.

http://imgur.com/a/WAqZi#0 Enjoy!

Thank you! :D That's fantastic! I wanted to use one of the images as a wallpaper, but I couldn't make it look pretty like you have. Thanks so much! :mrgreen:

JacobVienna

Postby JacobVienna » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:31 pm UTC

Well this is my first post here.

This is the most astonishing XKCD comic i have ever seen, and I have followed XKCD for several years... It is utterly entrancing, incredibly beautiful, brilliantly made. This is a work of art worthy of a space in any modern art museum. And i genuinely mean that. it needs to be done in exactly the format Randall did it in of course, because that is what makes this piece so majestic. Beautiful. Reminds us of the beauty of life. How fragile it is. how small we are. Wow, just so many things.

Thank you Randall.

yigil

Postby yigil » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:09 pm UTC

Can you PLEASE make this a giant poster and sell it in your store? I need to see it all, and i just can't!!

LoopinFool

Postby LoopinFool » Fri Sep 21, 2012 7:13 pm UTC

xkcd follower wrote:The trees I am referring are the ones near the barn, past the massive antenna. To the right of the barn is 4 trees. They represent the seasons.
Spring is the tiny sprout, beginning life.
Summer is the second one, the tree at its height.
Fall is the 3rd one, showing a transition.
Winter is the final one, barren and empty.

Also please enjoy the picture to understand this.

http://postimage.org/image/71venuavt/

Nice catch. I agree. Also, notice there's a big "missing" piece from the upper-left of the "Summer" tree? To me, that looks too much like a Mandelbrot set to be coincidence. Fractals everywhere...

- LoopinFool

ggrohmann

Postby ggrohmann » Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:50 pm UTC

Hey, this one is awesome. Remember the "Umwelt"-Strip? That one was small at first glance and turned out as really big one. So "click and drag" also did. Thank good I still use a trackball so exploring the "world" was no harm. Thank you, Mr. Munroe from Germany.

flicky1991
Like in Cinderella?

Postby flicky1991 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:49 pm UTC

ggrohmann wrote:Remember the "Umwelt"-Strip? That one was small at first glance and turned out as really big one.

...It did?
any pronouns
----
----
Forum Games Discord
(tell me if link doesn't work)

E'Bahn

Postby E'Bahn » Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:09 pm UTC

Found this little guy...Makes me wonder (and determined to find out) what else lies in there hidden...
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-09-21 at 6.00.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-09-21 at 6.00.20 PM.png (10.33 KiB) Viewed 18156 times

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”