0299: "Aeris Dies"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

dosboot

Postby dosboot » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:50 am UTC

TheKhakinator wrote:Um, I might be guilty of something similar to this comic's theme....
I maybe (just maybe) named the Princess in Chrono Trigger after a girl I liked. Just maybe.

I maybe did this too <.< >.> and hypothetically speaking, this was a totally secret crush. And one time I might have brought all my SNES carts to a friend's house for a sleep over. In the morning my friend might have been playing the game when I woke up. Did I mention this friend, the girl and I were all in the same class?

Doodle77

Postby Doodle77 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:27 am UTC

In Cave Story (look it up) the first time i played, i got to the Core, where Curly (roughly comparable to that girl in ffviii) dies unless you have the Tow Rope, which you cant go back and get. I was sad, so i reverse engineered the savegame format (it would be cheating to look up the format specs online!) so i could give myself the Tow Rope and save her.

Clumpy

Postby Clumpy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:03 pm UTC

Wow. I must have missed this one the first time around. This is one of my favorites.

Vekter
Now I am become Beth, the employer of squirrels

Postby Vekter » Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:10 pm UTC

dosboot wrote:
TheKhakinator wrote:Um, I might be guilty of something similar to this comic's theme....
I maybe (just maybe) named the Princess in Chrono Trigger after a girl I liked. Just maybe.

I maybe did this too <.< >.> and hypothetically speaking, this was a totally secret crush. And one time I might have brought all my SNES carts to a friend's house for a sleep over. In the morning my friend might have been playing the game when I woke up. Did I mention this friend, the girl and I were all in the same class?

Ouch. Sucks to be you.

Someone spoiled FF7 for me ages ago. I still need to play that game.
:lol: HOBO BONUS :lol:

SoapyHobo wrote:Where there's penis, there's Narsil

>:3

Blaze Krakaros

Re: "Aeris Dies" Discussion

Postby Blaze Krakaros » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:20 am UTC

I thought I was the only one who was made to cry by that episode with Fry's dog.

GooglyBoogly

Postby GooglyBoogly » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:30 am UTC

Yep, Fry's dog is a much stronger example than Aeris- at least for me. Did NOT expect that from futurama - but a video game, meh.
Into Alien Crossfire? It has been almost 10 years. Time to update your datalinks.
Try out my Comprehensive Datalinks Update. Now v1.3!

ella mental

Postby ella mental » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:32 pm UTC

Wow, I'm the exact opposite of some people here. The Futurama dog episode struck me as cringe-worthy mawkish twaddle, whereas Aeris dying had me in floods. Interestingly, I've found that whenever I replay the game now my reaction isn't so great at that moment, but whenever I hear Aeris' theme I feel it just as strongly as ever. Uematsu would probably be my favourite composer of all time.

Invertin

Postby Invertin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:57 am UTC

The real way to make a death depressing-

DO IT TO THE MAIN CHARACTER

And make the villain reeeeaaaally love doing it. Seriously, which is worse, a white mage that you don't even have to play as? Or the guy who has been your avatar for the entire game until now?

I don't find character deaths sad in the same way other people do. I just go "aw. I liked him. He was funny.". But I sometimes make odd choices who to "aw" at. For instance, the tutorial guy from KoToR. Yes. I mourned tutorial guy.

EDIT: And the dog episode? I love it. I love it because it's just so beautiful and brilliant and genius. These are the kinds of things that make me want to write a story, or a script, or something. Something that can get that kind of emotional responce.

Eternal Density

Postby Eternal Density » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:03 am UTC

When I play Half-Life 2, the main character dies on occasion. But I think that's my fault and it's usually more stupid than dramatic, except when it's dramatically stupid, like the time a tire blew out and the resulting scandle jacking up my dunebugg...
Play the game of Time! castle.chirpingmustard.com Hotdog Vending Supplier But what is this?
In the Marvel vs. DC film-making war, we're all winners.

Delass

Postby Delass » Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:05 am UTC

Invertin wrote:The real way to make a death depressing-

DO IT TO THE MAIN CHARACTER

And make the villain reeeeaaaally love doing it. Seriously, which is worse, a white mage that you don't even have to play as? Or the guy who has been your avatar for the entire game until now?

I don't find character deaths sad in the same way other people do. I just go "aw. I liked him. He was funny.". But I sometimes make odd choices who to "aw" at. For instance, the tutorial guy from KoToR. Yes. I mourned tutorial guy.

EDIT: And the dog episode? I love it. I love it because it's just so beautiful and brilliant and genius. These are the kinds of things that make me want to write a story, or a script, or something. Something that can get that kind of emotional responce.

FF8 Spoilers, its really old so I dont feel too bad.

FF8 did that temporarily. It turns out after a bit that squall didnt actually die. I dont really remember reacting strongly to squall getting stabbed through the heart with a huge spike of ice, though I do remember rinoas expression. The white mage dying is much worse, because your supposed to like her as much as the main character does.

dawolf

Re: 0299: "Aeris Dies"

Postby dawolf » Fri May 24, 2013 8:45 pm UTC

Browsing old xkcd's, apparently you can actually bring Aeris back to life in game, it's a side quest.

http://finalfantasy7.freewebsites.com/resurrectaeris.html

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Fri May 24, 2013 11:41 pm UTC

dawolf wrote:Browsing old xkcd's, apparently you can actually bring Aeris back to life in game, it's a side quest.

99% certain it's a troll. You're welcome to spend the time trying to unlock the Resurrect spell if you like.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Fri May 24, 2013 11:46 pm UTC

Yeah, it's reported by different people in different words in different places, but with the same screenshots. If it really was something people were doing independently, they'd take their own screenshots, I think. = )
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

brenok
Needs Directions

Postby brenok » Fri May 24, 2013 11:58 pm UTC

It's completely unrelated, but I keep reading this topic's name as "Dies Irae"...

dawolf

Postby dawolf » Sun May 26, 2013 11:56 am UTC

rmsgrey wrote:
dawolf wrote:Browsing old xkcd's, apparently you can actually bring Aeris back to life in game, it's a side quest.

99% certain it's a troll. You're welcome to spend the time trying to unlock the Resurrect spell if you like.

Ah, no worries :)

O-Deka-K

Re: 0299: "Aerith Dies"

Postby O-Deka-K » Mon May 27, 2013 11:38 pm UTC

Hey, looks like someone resurrected this thread! Unlike Aeristhphbblt...

So I read through the thread, and I noticed that a lot of people have some strange theories on where the name "Aerith" came from. It's her "original" Japanese name. I own the Japanese version of FFVII (it came with the used PS1 I bought back in '98), and her name is listed as "AERITH" (in English) in the manual. See for yourself -> http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff7/ff7box.html (bottom link - "characters"). Also, you can see that her name in katakana is "Earisu".

Of course, you could always argue that the Japanese got it wrong, 'cuz THAT never happens (e.g. "Midgar" is spelled "MIDGAL" in an FMV).

I think the guy who translated the game simply missed it. And by "the guy", I really do mean ONE guy. Here's an interesting article I found on the subject -> http://www.1up.com/features/squaresoft-localization.

"Aeris' name, for example, was meant to be a mixture of "air" and "Earth," but it was years before the revised spelling "Aerith" made that connotation more obvious."

Also, if you want to see the SADDEST MOVIE EVER then watch "Grave of the Fireflies" (it's also animated).

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Tue May 28, 2013 7:06 am UTC

O-Deka-K wrote:Hey, looks like someone resurrected this thread! Unlike Aeristhphbblt...

So I read through the thread, and I noticed that a lot of people have some strange theories on where the name "Aerith" came from. It's her "original" Japanese name. I own the Japanese version of FFVII (it came with the used PS1 I bought back in '98), and her name is listed as "AERITH" (in English) in the manual. See for yourself -> http://www.rpgamer.com/games/ff/ff7/ff7box.html (bottom link - "characters"). Also, you can see that her name in katakana is "Earisu".

Of course, you could always argue that the Japanese got it wrong, 'cuz THAT never happens (e.g. "Midgar" is spelled "MIDGAL" in an FMV).

I think the guy who translated the game simply missed it. And by "the guy", I really do mean ONE guy. Here's an interesting article I found on the subject -> http://www.1up.com/features/squaresoft-localization.

"Aeris' name, for example, was meant to be a mixture of "air" and "Earth," but it was years before the revised spelling "Aerith" made that connotation more obvious."

Also, if you want to see the SADDEST MOVIE EVER then watch "Grave of the Fireflies" (it's also animated).
Grave of The Fireflies has nothing on When The Wind Blows.

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue May 28, 2013 9:32 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:
O-Deka-K wrote:Also, if you want to see the SADDEST MOVIE EVER then watch "Grave of the Fireflies" (it's also animated).
Grave of The Fireflies has nothing on When The Wind Blows.

I've seen neither, but the saddest movie ever has got to be Kiwi.

CasualSax

Postby CasualSax » Fri May 31, 2013 6:13 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:I've seen neither, but the saddest movie ever has got to be Kiwi.

Its like if Kiwi did everything and jumped despite being terrified of flying, because his little brother, who died of starvation in his arms legs always wanted to fly, in turn because his mother died and Kiwi told him his mom was flying with the angels.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri May 31, 2013 6:28 am UTC

When the Wind Blows is sad? Poignant certainly, bleakly satirical definitely, but sad? It is also one of the most frightening movies I have ever seen.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri May 31, 2013 6:42 am UTC

Red Hal wrote:When the Wind Blows is sad? Poignant certainly, bleakly satirical definitely, but sad? It is also one of the most frightening movies I have ever seen.
It's sad how incredibly naive they are, especially when they get into those
Spoiler:
aluminum bags.
And despite knowing exactly how it will all end, you're powerless to stop it. That's why I found it sad.

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Fri May 31, 2013 7:26 am UTC

I see. I saw it in the cinema when it came out, and given the mood of the times it was more disturbing than sad for me. Perhaps the difference in temporal perspective made the difference between our respective experiences.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Fri May 31, 2013 7:30 am UTC

Fry's dog episode is really well done, but I refuse to re-watch it.

I never felt any real connection to the story of 7, so her death was a minor incontinence at best.

Games that are moving are rare; but they do exist. Most of those aren't sad per as either, like Bioshock Infinite's ending, which I felt more invested in than some white Mage getting the stabby end of a blade.

In fact, I can't think of a truely sad video game moment since a few of the events in FF6. Maybe I just stopped getting overly attached after the various sad subplots there.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri May 31, 2013 7:57 am UTC

Eshru wrote:Fry's dog episode is really well done, but I refuse to re-watch it.

I never felt any real connection to the story of 7, so her death was a minor incontinence at best.

Games that are moving are rare; but they do exist. Most of those aren't sad per as either, like Bioshock Infinite's ending, which I felt more invested in than some white Mage getting the stabby end of a blade.

In fact, I can't think of a truely sad video game moment since a few of the events in FF6. Maybe I just stopped getting overly attached after the various sad subplots there.

There were a few very moving moments in my Mass Effect playthrough...

Eshru

Postby Eshru » Fri May 31, 2013 8:04 am UTC

Klear wrote:

Which, the first? They weren't sad though, right? The opera scene and a couple of death stories in ff6 are the only real sad moments in games that I can remember.

Klear

Postby Klear » Fri May 31, 2013 8:40 am UTC

Eshru wrote:
Klear wrote:

Which, the first? They weren't sad though, right? The opera scene and a couple of death stories in ff6 are the only real sad moments in games that I can remember.

All of them. And yes, whey were sad, like when I let Tali die... sob...

OrbitalFacePalm9001

Postby OrbitalFacePalm9001 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 6:20 am UTC

Guys! Lightning in FFXIII Lightning Returns gets a DLC Aeris costume!
>implying that you can't greentext on xkcd forums

sudo make me a username

Postby sudo make me a username » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:30 am UTC

surjection wrote:I was wondering, in the light of the previous excellent comic, whether any readers detect any sort of development in these characters. Wouldn't it be strange if, for example, the 'hat guy' mellowed in later life or if another were to get married.

Since the thread was resurrected I got to see this almost prophetic remark. Some of it came true in Journal. Although I wonder if he and his girlfriend would ever get married. I imagine it would be very similar to "the red wedding" in GoT/aSoIaF.
And as for opening a door for xkcd fanfic? Well I kinda tried to open a door for 'shipping here, not terribly successfully (I still think if it happend to black hat it could happen to beret guy, although it's kind of a poinless discussion when there are hardly any characters to 'ship him to...).

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”