1124: "Law of Drama"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

rhomboidal

1124: "Law of Drama"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:06 am UTC

Title Text: 'Drama' is just 'people being upset', when someone says they're always surrounded by drama and they just ignore it, it starts to make sense that their strategy might be backfiring.

Where that graph's curve ends terrifies me, yet fascinates me.

eculc
Wet Peanut Butter

Re: 1124: "Law of Drama"

Postby eculc » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:10 am UTC

ooh, I was so close to making the thread, if only I was better at typing things fast.

Obviously, attempting to avoid drama is in itself dramatic, and therefore the only way to avoid being highly dramatic is to be moderately dramatic.
Um, this post feels devoid of content. Good luck?
For comparison, that means that if the cabbage guy from Avatar: The Last Airbender filled up his cart with lettuce instead, it would be about a quarter of a lethal dose.

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:11 am UTC

This is one of my favourites in some time. I don't get how people can get caught up in silly drama on the internet. FFS, trolls are going to jail because of whiny drama.
Last edited by Quicksilver on Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:17 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Djehutynakht

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:15 am UTC

eculc wrote:ooh, I was so close to making the thread, if only I was better at typing things fast.

Obviously, attempting to avoid drama is in itself dramatic, and therefore the only way to avoid being highly dramatic is to be moderately dramatic.

Well most people who openly declare there adversity to Drama are dramatic in doing it.

Vicious circle.

glasnt

Postby glasnt » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:28 am UTC

I wonder where Shakespeare comes into this law...

(create "Drama".. *boom tish*)

Goggalor

Postby Goggalor » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:47 am UTC

If I was a middle/high school teacher I'd hang this up in my class room as a way to mock students. I cannot recall the number of times I heard this while I was in school.
Keeper Of The Bags, Protector Of Puns
A Timewaiter from the very beginning to the bitter end.1
1but not from beginning to end to beginning since I'm not a loopist

Randomness

Postby Randomness » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:27 am UTC

But I do hate dramas. I don't know about my rate of announcing that fact, but I do walk out when ever someone turns one on. I find very little drama in real life and I care for dementia patients, paranoid ones.

Cristina

Postby Cristina » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:56 am UTC

I wish this comic existed when I was in high school. I would have sent it to my entire "friendship" group.
Careful, Icarus...

pcantrell

Postby pcantrell » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:27 am UTC

Mouseover text = truth. In this instance. Not necessarily in general.

Minor grammar quibble: the mouseover text contains a comma splice, right before the word "when." It should either be a semicolon:

'Drama' is just 'people being upset'; when someone says…

…or a period:

'Drama' is just 'people being upset'. When someone says…

(The latter reads better to me, FWIW.)

Linux0s

Postby Linux0s » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:35 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:Well most people who openly declare there adversity to Drama are dramatic in doing it.

Vicious circle.

As long as you're passionate enough...

Oh.
If the male mind truly were a machine it would consist of a shaft and a bushing.

rainspeaker

Postby rainspeaker » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:23 am UTC

Yeah, that comma splice really bothered me.
Also, I gotta say, this one was pretty weak. From the point of view someone who just came out of high school, this just seems... obvious. And there's no art to enliven things, as per, say, http://xkcd.com/252/. And I'm not of the camp that says "xkcd sucks these days" - I thought yesterday's was fantastic, and have enjoyed a lot of the recent ones. I just think this one was... let's say incomplete. It needed more.

folkhero

Postby folkhero » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:51 am UTC

eculc wrote:ooh, I was so close to making the thread, if only I was better at typing things fast.

The point is that if you are thinking of problems that you are having with people and relationships as "drama" instead of dealing with them on their own terms, then you probably are not going to be very good at resolving those problems.
To all law enforcement entities, this is not an admission of guilt...

VanI

Postby VanI » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:08 am UTC

I'm just looking for some units.
I swear, a fireball lied to me just the other day...

jonadab

Postby jonadab » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:28 am UTC

I tend to be oblivious to drama. Objectively, I experience all the same events as the people around me, but my perception doesn't always fill me in on the overworked interpretations and baroque implications other people are mentally assigning to those events.

Dr. Diaphanous

Postby Dr. Diaphanous » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:31 am UTC

Cristina wrote:I wish this comic existed when I was in high school. I would have sent it to my entire "friendship" group.

But think how much drama it would create to decide who is and who isn't in that group!

VanI wrote:I'm just looking for some units.

x axis is declarations per second.
y axis is litres of drama per second

Also, couldn't this also be explained with reverse causation - Drama creation rate causes anti-drama declarations?
"God works in mysterious and breathtakingly cruel ways."

Nevermore

Postby Nevermore » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:43 am UTC

I prefered the Kardashian myself as a unit of measurement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hu ... Kardashian

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:41 am UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:
Cristina wrote:I wish this comic existed when I was in high school. I would have sent it to my entire "friendship" group.

But think how much drama it would create to decide who is and who isn't in that group!

Also, couldn't this also be explained with reverse causation - Drama creation rate causes anti-drama declarations?

Who's introducing causation? The comic just describes a correlation.

Okay, so the alt-text suggests a causative mechanism...

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Postby eran_rathan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:25 pm UTC

Dr. Diaphanous wrote:

Wouldn't the unit of drama be the dram?
"We have met the enemy, and we are they. Them? We is it. Whatever."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
nɒʜƚɒɿ_nɒɿɘ

The_Alchemist

Postby The_Alchemist » Mon Oct 22, 2012 12:50 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
Dr. Diaphanous wrote:

Very nice.

As for causation, 1st derivative might handle that representation nicely.

halcyon1234

Postby halcyon1234 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:06 pm UTC

Same graph goes for people who are "not putting up with bullshit anymore".

... said the person who has built up a systematic web of lies used to play friends and family members against each other for sympathy and financial gain (mostly the latter).
Writing for The Daily WTF
A More Permanent Join
Bessy Keeps You Safe
Passed Around

"I think Internet message boards used to be a lot funnier 10 years ago -- I've sort of stopped reading their new posts." -- Simpsons writer Matt Warburton

Jackpot777

Postby Jackpot777 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:17 pm UTC

My experience:

X axis =

Code: Select all

why do people have to put their noses into other people's lives, etc...

Y axis = (same person)

Code: Select all

WOW!! I can't believe that you can see whose viewing your profile. I've just seen my top 10 profile peekers and I'm shocked on whose Viewing my Profile. You can also see whose viewing your FACEBOOK PROFILE HERE: [LINK]

attrezzo

Postby attrezzo » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:38 pm UTC

I think the issue here is a difference of semantic definition.

I don't think drama is "people being upset". I think it's more about people artificially exaggerating or prolonging their misery in a way that actually trivializes the thing that caused them to be upset in the first place. I'm not a psychologist but I think that maybe it's some kind of way to create a positive feedback loop. Someone thriving on drama might start to relate a negative attitude to the positive coddling that results from it, so negative experiences to a 'drama queen' must be 'dramatized' or negatively exaggerated to receive the maximum positive feedback from their enablers. It generates feelings of social acceptance and encouragement from peers and is thus, desirable. For that reason, it seems to me that drama is never fully reconcilable because that's never the intent in the first place. You might notice that someone dramatizing a situation generally avoids reconciling the situation, even if obvious solutions to the original upsetting event are presented. Generally, I have found many attempts to forcefully reconcile drama are faced with sabotage, which generally lead to more drama.

So drama to me is kind of like a troll on a forum. It's either intentionally or unintentionally produced to elicit a response that ultimately results in a macabre kind of positive reinforcement.

In this way, ignoring it, is exactly the right thing to do. I typically give only as much ear time and stress time to any given situation as it would merit if I were in the other person's shoes. When the situation is significantly exaggerated beyond that limit, or (and especially) if there are obvious solutions that are ignored for the sake of prolonging the discussion, I change the subject.

I fully subscribe to the X axis of your graph. And for those drama queens around me, much drama is created by this. I am sure of that. But I have gotten to the point where I stay blissfully unaware of most of these imagined troubles. This is a personal choice to fortify myself against the additional stress of being confronted by unsolvable problems. Especially, if they're ARTIFICIALLY unsolvable.

I can also say that I have a good counter-example. My wife. As good-hearted as she is, bless her, she generally has a more open ear for drama and she occasionally lets me in on a few of the real crazy ones because she knows I'll agree that they are idiotic things to complain about for a week or whatever inappropriate amount of time is spent talking about that lego you stepped on and how bad your foot hurts or the toilet that wouldn't flush (but is now working well).

It is truly ironic that I signed up for these forums just to post this. But I strongly, disagree with your assessment. I hope you see the difference. If not, take a tip from me and ignore this post! Because I will absolutely ignore the responses this ridiculous piece of drama generates.

The Scyphozoa

Postby The Scyphozoa » Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:41 pm UTC

I freely admit to being high on this scale. But it's not hypocritical. I know that it's basically, "I hate drama when I'm not the one stirring the pot."
3rdtry wrote:If there ever is another World War, I hope they at least have the decency to call it "World War 2: Episode One"

doogly wrote:murder is a subset of being mean

MitraSmit

Postby MitraSmit » Mon Oct 22, 2012 2:46 pm UTC

Is this an hommage to Indexed? (http://www.thisisindexed.com)
- I don't have time for these bugs
-OK then just leave them out

Red Hal
Magically Delicious

Postby Red Hal » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:02 pm UTC

The_Alchemist wrote:
eran_rathan wrote:
Dr. Diaphanous wrote:

Very nice.

As for causation, 1st derivative might handle that representation nicely.
Well played. I would also add that if you are drinking spirits (liquor) then the amount of drama tends to rise directly with the number of drams imbibed.
Lost Greatest Silent Baby X Y Z. "There is no one who loves pain itself, who seeks after it and wants to have it, simply because it is pain..."

Carteeg_Struve

Postby Carteeg_Struve » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:06 pm UTC

Drama = Comedy for evil people

I like being evil. :D

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:24 pm UTC

MitraSmit wrote:Is this an hommage to Indexed? (http://www.thisisindexed.com)

OK, I checked - Jessica Hagy's first post of funny graphs and Venn diagrams was on August 9, 2006 (http://thisisindexed.com/2006/08/page/23/). Randall's first funny Venn diagram was http://xkcd.com/112/ on June 7, 2006, and his first graph was http://xkcd.com/103/ on May 17. Win: Randall.
Last edited by mathmannix on Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:56 pm UTC, edited 4 times in total.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

jay35

Postby jay35 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:29 pm UTC

Simple but poignant. Love it.

O-Deka-K

Postby O-Deka-K » Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:56 pm UTC

attrezzo wrote:In this way, ignoring it, is exactly the right thing to do. I typically give only as much ear time and stress time to any given situation as it would merit if I were in the other person's shoes. When the situation is significantly exaggerated beyond that limit, or (and especially) if there are obvious solutions that are ignored for the sake of prolonging the discussion, I change the subject.

I fully subscribe to the X axis of your graph. And for those drama queens around me, much drama is created by this. I am sure of that. But I have gotten to the point where I stay blissfully unaware of most of these imagined troubles. This is a personal choice to fortify myself against the additional stress of being confronted by unsolvable problems. Especially, if they're ARTIFICIALLY unsolvable.

...snipped...

It is truly ironic that I signed up for these forums just to post this. But I strongly, disagree with your assessment. I hope you see the difference. If not, take a tip from me and ignore this post! Because I will absolutely ignore the responses this ridiculous piece of drama generates.

What's ironic is that according to the graph, you're at the top. Congrats!

But seriously, I agree with a lot of what you say. I'm not so sure about the "positive feedback loop" though. Sometimes yes, but sometimes they seem to want MORE drama. When they sabotage their own relationships, not only do they turn trivial problems into large ones, but then they create real, larger problems. This is more of a "negative feedback loop". It may be an effort to garner sympathy or to get attention, but when it gets too big, they either lose all their friends or tear apart a circle of friends.

mcdigman

Postby mcdigman » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:02 pm UTC

jonadab wrote:I tend to be oblivious to drama. Objectively, I experience all the same events as the people around me, but my perception doesn't always fill me in on the overworked interpretations and baroque implications other people are mentally assigning to those events.

Exactly. I remember one time in high school when a girl was explaining to me all the drama going on in the school at the time, and I realized that I literally had no idea that any of it was happening. I found out there were people who knew who everyone in a class of several hundred people was going to prom with, how they were asked, etc... How can you even keep track of all that drama?

Charlie!

Postby Charlie! » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:24 pm UTC

Huh. When I say "I don't like drama," it usually means that I'm advising someone to be honest / apologize / forgive, or being honest / apologizing /forgiving. That is, avoiding drama often is best done by doing things I think are very nice.
Some people tell me I laugh too much. To them I say, "ha ha ha!"

Lenoxus

Postby Lenoxus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:47 pm UTC

Hmm... does this apply to adult authority figures, such as parents and teachers, people we think of as "above the fray"? When I worked at a middle school, I mildly resented the various forms of "drama" among students (especially the ones in, appropriately enough, the drama club). Kids could be verbally cruel to one another, and also just plain difficult. Did my resentment imply I was part of the problem without knowing it? Note: Not a rhetorical question. Oneself is not the best judge of one's own degree of fault -- which is part of the point of today's comic, of course.

Whizbang
The Best Reporter

Postby Whizbang » Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:02 pm UTC

Can this scale be used in conjunction with the "Hot/Crazy Scale" presented in "How I Met Your Mother"?

neremanth

Postby neremanth » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:12 pm UTC

(A bit tangential to the comic, because I don't recall anyone ever talking about "drama" or claiming they avoided it, but:)

My class at school was so notorious for huge arguments and fallings out of friendship groups* in our first year that the teachers sat us all down for a talk where they explained that "Compromise and Negotiate!" should be our motto. They even put up a poster in our classroom with that on it. Of course, as soon as they left the room we all mocked the phrase mercilessly and continued to do so for months. (Things did improve by the next year though; not sure if "Compromise and Negotiate!" really did have a subtle and possibly subconscious effect, whether the residential trip in the summer term acted as an effective bonding exercise, or whether things just naturally got better over time).

*NB I don't believe I or my immediate friends were personally involved in any of this; but of course recollections can be inaccurate

attrezzo wrote: I don't think drama is "people being upset". I think it's more about people artificially exaggerating or prolonging their misery in a way that actually trivializes the thing that caused them to be upset in the first place.

In this way, ignoring it, is exactly the right thing to do.

I agree that (and the rest of what you wrote, which I didn't quote for length) is the correct usage of "drama", and probably the correct approach when encountering it. I think the point the comic and mouseover text is making though is that the kind of person who loudly, proudly, and in a superior manner declares that they hate drama and avoid it tends to be the same kind of person that will often dismiss it as "drama" when people are legitimately and genuinely upset about something, and would happily accept an apology from and educative discussion with the offending party. And of course, genuine and legitimate upset of this kind can look at first glance like drama in the above sense, if you don't know enough about the subject/ people's experiences to understand where they're coming from. So I guess immediate ignoring of apparent drama is not the best policy - you** should probably engage a little bit to try to see if there's anything you're missing first. Which, the mouseover text suggests, is not what someone towards the right hand end of the graph would be doing.

Although I do note that while the x-axis has "drama" in quotes, suggesting a wrong usage (fitting this interpretation), the y-axis has it out of quotes, suggesting that this attitude of ignoring genuinely and legitimately upset people will create genuine drama, not just something such a person might label as drama, which doesn't quite fit with what I just said. So I may be misinterpreting it.

** general you, not you, attrezzo, specifically

For anyone who actually does enjoy drama (from a spectator position!), there's always this. (I wonder if the graph should continue to the left past the y-axis for people who say "I love drama and always go and have a look if I hear about any"? Not quite sure what that would look like, because I think that would be a mixture of people who just like watching and are very determined not to get involved (and perhaps are more skilled at not creating it in currently drama-free discussions they participate in since they are familiar with all the ways it can get started and so know to avoid them), and trolls.)

Max™

Postby Max™ » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:26 pm UTC

Nevermore wrote:I prefered the Kardashian myself as a unit of measurement.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_hu ... Kardashian

Couldn't that be translated into a length measurement by way of Ray J's penis?
mu

nemui10pm

Postby nemui10pm » Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:54 pm UTC

The same goes for those who declare they hate "fake" people.
a genius, a philosopher, an abstract thinker

jay35

Postby jay35 » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:08 pm UTC

mcdigman wrote:
jonadab wrote:I tend to be oblivious to drama. Objectively, I experience all the same events as the people around me, but my perception doesn't always fill me in on the overworked interpretations and baroque implications other people are mentally assigning to those events.

Exactly. I remember one time in high school when a girl was explaining to me all the drama going on in the school at the time, and I realized that I literally had no idea that any of it was happening. I found out there were people who knew who everyone in a class of several hundred people was going to prom with, how they were asked, etc... How can you even keep track of all that drama?

And they would probably diagnose you guys with Aspergers.

San Fran Sam

Postby San Fran Sam » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:09 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
Dr. Diaphanous wrote:

I propose that it be measured in llamas. Or lamas.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:17 pm UTC

eran_rathan wrote:
Dr. Diaphanous wrote:

It fits, not least because the greatest drama seems to occur over the smallest thing. You'd need a small unit to measure the importance of the object in question. Or maybe an inverse unit? The mard?
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

dudiobugtron

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Oct 22, 2012 10:59 pm UTC

rainspeaker wrote:Also, I gotta say, this one was pretty weak. From the point of view someone who just came out of high school, this just seems... obvious. And there's no art to enliven things, as per, say, http://xkcd.com/252/. And I'm not of the camp that says "xkcd sucks these days" - I thought yesterday's was fantastic, and have enjoyed a lot of the recent ones. I just think this one was... let's say incomplete. It needed more.

I did feel this way a bit too - it seems like the sort of thing that could equally be on any other more mundane social commentary webcomic. It's not on the level of 'clever' insights that xkcd usually displays in abundance.

However, we can take solace from the fact that because it's an xkcd comic, it's probably been researched to some degree. I imagine the way the graph curves was reasonably well thought out at least.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”