0301: "Limerick"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Vaniver

0301: "Limerick"

Postby Vaniver » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:00 am UTC

Alt text: Fun game: try to post a YouTube comment so stupid that people realize you must be joking. (Hint: this is impossible)

Not being a slashdotter (I... don't know if I've ever gone there of my own accord, actually) the alt text was the only funny bit.

That said, I don't read YouTube comments anymore... they're too sad.
Last edited by Vaniver on Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:02 am UTC, edited 2 times in total.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

mrguy753

Postby mrguy753 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:01 am UTC

alt text = hilarious
I sing anyway.

The_Toad

Postby The_Toad » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:01 am UTC

first time in a while I didnt lol...

and who types with the keyboard completly under the table... I have mine at full extension

4=5

Postby 4=5 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:07 am UTC

it's so the keyloggers can't see what she's pressing

japanese_jew

Postby japanese_jew » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:14 am UTC

Anyone want to explain this? Are the sarcastic comments iconoclastic? Are they performing mod five? Is slashdot based on a ++--, are there benefits conferred to get +5?

I will undertake a mission.

OneLess

Postby OneLess » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:25 am UTC

This alt text is full of win...I've tried before and it is indeed impossible, at least for me :)
“Observation: Couldn’t see a thing. Conclusion: Dinosaurs.” –Carl Sagan

Last edited by OneLess on Sat Dec 17, 3003 10:35 am, edited 0 time in total.

simX

Postby simX » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:28 am UTC

japanese_jew wrote:Anyone want to explain this? Are the sarcastic comments iconoclastic? Are they performing mod five? Is slashdot based on a ++--, are there benefits conferred to get +5?

The comments that the character posts on Slashdot are sarcastic, but they're being constantly misinterpreted as being serious by people who want to fight against the machine. On Slashdot, you can moderate a comment up or down, and you can also give a reason. So his sarcastic comments are being modded as being insightful rather than a more appropriate reason like "funny".

It relates to the alt text because while on YouTube you can't post something stupid enough that everyone gets that it's stupid, on Slashdot you can't post something sarcastic enough that everyone gets that it's sarcastic.

japanese_jew

Postby japanese_jew » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:28 am UTC

Okay, I looked around. Plus-five is an attribute that can be conferred to your post that will mean that everyone looks at it.

So basically, he's saying that by being a douche, and saying that he hates the establishment, he gets compliments++ for making intelligent posts, which pisses him off.

Got a smile from me after I figured it out, but I would have liked it if I was down with /.

Edit: Thanks, simX

EvanED

Postby EvanED » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:35 am UTC

4=5 wrote:it's so the keyloggers can't see what she's pressing

With a camera in the room pointed right at the desk, can you really blame her? Sheesh, talk about intrusive.

STICK PEOPLE HAVE RIGHTS TOO!

simX wrote:The comments that the character posts on Slashdot are sarcastic, but they're being constantly misinterpreted as being serious by people who want to fight against the machine. On Slashdot, you can moderate a comment up or down, and you can also give a reason. So his sarcastic comments are being modded as being insightful rather than a more appropriate reason like "funny".

This comes up in discussions every now and again, and I think the consensus is that a lot of the time people mod insightful/interesting/informative instead of funny because the former confers karma and the latter doesn't.

I'm a firm believer that if I post something that's funny, it should be modded funny. ;-)

/has four +5 posts in my most recent 24 (one funny)
//has way too many /. posts

gulnare

Postby gulnare » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:41 am UTC

Ha! I was trying to work out what i would say if i actually ever commented on Youtube, and how to b awl lk Oh me yarm i'm talking like i'm on a fucking mobile phone!
We have full sized keyboards for a reason right?

Although sometimes i type with it under the desk...
"...i'm putting in my 2 weeks notice,
as of 2 fucking weeks ago..."

Shpadoinkle

Postby Shpadoinkle » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:44 am UTC

Semi-related to the alt-text: I used to spend time on /b/. At one point, someone posted something about "You ignorant Americans! Spain isn't in South America! Get educated, Ameritards!" (Paraphrased.)

Upon reading that, inspiration struck, and I replied with the following: "No shit. Spain is a COUNTRY, and South America has STATES, like Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, etc."

It was my proudest troll moment.

Shortly afterwards, someone responded to my post with "For your sake, I hope to God that you're a troll and not actually THAT fucking stupid." I received IMMENSE satisfaction from this for reasons I have yet to determine.

japanese_jew

Postby japanese_jew » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:46 am UTC

you should have had MOAR CAPS. CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL IT DO BE.

Encyclopedia dramatica is my source for the rules of the internet, but I don't like the new additions. "You still need to steer with Cruise Control?" yeah, right, if you want to live.

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:57 am UTC

You can't very well identify trolling on a site that's already filled by natural idiocy.

(Unless all of that is in fact trolling, which just makes me wonder what the average Youtube commentator considers a good use of their life.)
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

stepp

Postby stepp » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:57 am UTC

This makes me wonder what Randall's slashdot id is....

Arancaytar

Postby Arancaytar » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:59 am UTC

There's a user named "Munroe", but he has no posts.
"You cannot dual-wield the sharks. One is enough." -Our DM.

sfwarlock

Postby sfwarlock » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:13 am UTC

I always thought Slashdot should have a (+1, Inciteful) moderation...

Vandole

Postby Vandole » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:17 am UTC

Posts sarcastic in fora I find
are liked by iconoclast kind
They don't get the joke
and give it a poke
Leaving relevant posts behind

I'll put the story out plain
the points the comments gain
by mods they are rated
Show which are related
and which we can safely disdain

And so his comments sarcastic
Are complimented, fantastic
His posts derisive
Are mark'd decisive
By 'dotters enthusiastic

(Ehh. Could be better. I'm just cooking up random stuff. I didn't care a lot about feet or anything like that)
Vandole wants you to read An Intimate History of the Greater Kingdom (NSFW text).
Oh, I'm no end table. I'm a nightstand.
Gelsamel wrote:Don't ever sig me..... ever.

Bakemaster
pretty nice future dick

Postby Bakemaster » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:18 am UTC

The alt text is so true. See my comments here (as babehuth).
c0 = 2.13085531 × 1014 smoots per fortnight
"Apparently you can't summon an alternate timeline clone of your inner demon, guys! Remember that." —Noc

une see
Is my girl

Postby une see » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:47 am UTC

Bakemaster wrote:The alt text is so true. See my comments here (as babehuth).

You're totally blowing my mind here.

So does this mean that all those completely idiotic, mind-bogglingly stupid, Youtube comments that I just chalked up to mere mental retardation might possibly have been part of a genius master plan to troll us all out of our fucking peanut butter? :shock:

I am...regaining faith in humanity. Or, at least, the part of humanity that comments on Youtube videos.

Maybe...maybe all those comments I thought were so stupid were actually meant to be sarcastic. And they weren't really serious about it. That's...that's possible. Right? Right??

My whole world...it's crumbling right in front of me. Going...insane...at least, more so than I was before...WHAT MADNESS IS THIS?? My head hurts from thinking about it.

Oh, Fluggles, my dearly beloved stuffed baby seal acquired through...questionable methods at Sea World! I am in grave need of your sleekly fuzzy comfort. Come to Mother! *hugs Fluggles and sobs*
T.S. Eliot in "The Waste Land" wrote:APRIL is the cruellest month, breeding
Lilacs out of the dead land, mixing
Memory and desire, stirring
Dull roots with spring rain.

Jello B.
Location: The dotted line surrounding the mind of a self called nowhere.

Postby Jello B. » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:51 am UTC

This is my favorite xkcd comic so far. I'm serious.

And not for the alt text, either.

Lil'Bondy

Postby Lil'Bondy » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:14 am UTC

The_Toad wrote:first time in a while I didnt lol...

and who types with the keyboard completly under the table... I have mine at full extension

I know my step brother does, but he at least has good reason, if he pulled the damn thing out he'd probably kill himself, not only are the things on his desk 'just' in balance, but he is squished against the wall too... so even if he did want to, he cant... (i still cant figure out why he sits so..)

*edit* my keyboard is on top of my desk because i broke the entire underside of it...
So I 'meow' a lot... Get used to it!

Sceptre

Postby Sceptre » Fri Aug 10, 2007 6:25 am UTC

Yeah, the alt text is impossible. There are some ones where you have to suspend your belief, though, like this one (on the 9/11 Benny Hill video)

This video is an oxymoron...I'm an oxy, YOUR A MORON!

I don't know if it was is intention to make himself into a analgesic or into a brand of skin cream, but I can't find another.

The same kinda applies to videos. You know that "Am I pretty enough now?" chain letter? Someone actually made a video to some shitty techno pop song and managed, and I kid you not, to misspell the word "you" as "yhoo". Then again, the school where the video creator came from is a shithole.

...And now I'm rambling.

Edit: Found the video. It's bebo, but, eh, fuck it.

http://bebo.com/watch/2399864338

Looking at the top 100 on that site, it worries me how many people spell "you" as "yhu" or "yhoo"

Dakman

YouTube comments

Postby Dakman » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:53 am UTC

He's right it is nearly impossible to post a sarcastic comment on YouTube without it being taken seriously. I like to make fun of the comments that always ask "What is the name of this song?" probably one of the most frequent types of comments.

Ronfar

Postby Ronfar » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:16 am UTC

The problem with pretending to be stupid or crazy on the Internet is that somewhere, someone on the Internet REALLY IS that stupid or that crazy.
- Doug

Vaniver

Postby Vaniver » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:33 am UTC

http://bebo.com/watch/2399864338
I wish the author of that video actually had killed herself.
I mostly post over at LessWrong now.

Avatar from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, owned by Hasbro.

hotaru

Postby hotaru » Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:53 am UTC

japanese_jew wrote:you should have had MOAR CAPS. CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL IT DO BE.

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COBOL.

Bonnici

Postby Bonnici » Fri Aug 10, 2007 9:00 am UTC

I present the following proof of the alt-text:

Video is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI13K6i5604

Comments are:

mick6885 (1 hour ago)
woah, how did they keep making the *beep*bop*beep noise after they stopped kicking it?1?1!?!?!1
i say fake. toly cgi.

NissanSupraGTR (27 minutes ago)
dude i hope your joking

mattmacf

Postby mattmacf » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:17 am UTC

stepp wrote:This makes me wonder what Randall's slashdot id is....

Believe it or not, I actually found this webcomic from Randall's slashdot sig. His username (or the one of somebody doing a really good job pretending to be him) is Council. Nonsubscribers to slashdot can only see the most recent 25 posts, but he hasn't posted anything recently, and nothing in the last year+ bears any resemblance to the comic.

kibiz0r

Postby kibiz0r » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:10 am UTC

hotaru wrote:
japanese_jew wrote:you should have had MOAR CAPS. CRUISE CONTROL FOR COOL IT DO BE.

CAPS LOCK IS CRUISE CONTROL FOR COBOL.

:D I do hope someone else laughs at that. (first time I've seen it)
This post has been modified from its original version. It has been formatted to fit your mind.

jc
Location: Waltham, Massachusetts, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy

/. mod games

Postby jc » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:54 pm UTC

Some time back on /., I got modded both insightful and troll for the same post. I decided it would be fun to collect such oxymoronic mods. I've got funny+troll, and of course funny+informative and funny+interesting were easy to get.

My goal now is to get three conflicting mods. I'm trying for funny+insightful+troll or funny+informative+troll, but I haven't succeeded at either.

Maybe my strategy should include rejecting the extra starting point due to karma. If you start at +2, it can be hard to get all three mods to be different. Just a couple days ago, I got insightful+troll again, but someone added a second insightful mod. Then someone else complained that these were wrong because I was obviously joking. If only someone with a sense of humor and mod points had come along first, I could have had my 3-way oxymoronic mod. Damn!

Still, it seems cheating to drop my starting score down to 2 just to increase my chances. It'd sorta be like a pro baseball or soccer player refusing to take legal (or undetectable) drugs to make the game more challenging.

I think I'll keep trying. Of course, there are problems getting rated funny for a post that contains actual information, and that's usually needed for informative or insightful. But this has happened before, so there's hope.

(Sorry if all this jargon baffles non-/. readers. ;-)

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:10 pm UTC

Ah, slashdotting. This comment is so, so true. And the alt has made me wonder if everyone on youtube is doing this... that's now my hypothesis 2. Hypothesis 1 was "Youtube emits secret rays that turn the user's brain, temporarily, into that of a three-year-old retarded monkey."

Fieari

Postby Fieari » Fri Aug 10, 2007 1:23 pm UTC

I would still ascribe to hypothesis 1, personally.
Surely it is as ridiculous to consider sqrt(-1) "imaginary" because you can't use it to count pieces of chalk as to consider the number 200 imaginary because by itself it cannot express the location of one point with reference to another. -Isaac Asimov

EvanED

Re: /. mod games

Postby EvanED » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:09 pm UTC

jc wrote:Some time back on /., I got modded both insightful and troll for the same post. I decided it would be fun to collect such oxymoronic mods. I've got funny+troll, and of course funny+informative and funny+interesting were easy to get.

My favorite is when there are a couple underrated mods added to the mix, so you get stuff like (+5, Troll)

masterroller720

Postby masterroller720 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 2:48 pm UTC

ok, new rule for the internet: All good natured sarcasm will be denoted by ending the sentence, phrase, or paragraph with the ':-p' or tongue emoticon.
(or at least thats what I do on AIM) :p is also acceptable.

mean, spiteful sarcasm (much more common than the good natured variety) still requires denotation, any ideas?

japanese_jew

Postby japanese_jew » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:44 pm UTC

I'm a big fan of </sarcasm>. Tags for the wine.

dosboot

Postby dosboot » Fri Aug 10, 2007 3:48 pm UTC

After the first line of the comic I was expecting some different. Slashdot comments are a total mess even though each individual comment seems funny or interesting out of context. There are too many passionate diatribes (the mod system encourages it), there's a highly visible group think to repeat the same opinions (MS, RIAA) or jokes (in soviet russia, 68k), and even normal replies are repeated two or three times because no one wants to read what everyone else wrote to see if it has already been said. It all adds up to too much noise with the only signal getting through are comments posted at the very top. Some people resort to using the tag system to leave replies, including jokes.

_codeMonkey

Postby _codeMonkey » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:40 pm UTC

it's people like you which are ruining /.

get a life. LOL

Hawknc
Oompa Loompa of SCIENCE!

Postby Hawknc » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:41 pm UTC

Tell you what, stop ruining xkcd and we might return the favour, k?
ImageImageImageImageImage

bbctol
Super Deluxe Forum Title of DESTINYâ„¢

Postby bbctol » Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:41 pm UTC

_codeMonkey wrote:it's people like you which are ruining /.

get a life. LOL

Get off the forum. I'm not kidding.

japanese_jew

Postby japanese_jew » Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:05 pm UTC

bbctol wrote:
_codeMonkey wrote:it's people like you which are ruining /.

get a life. LOL

Get off the forum. I'm not kidding.

Yeah man, if you don't share our derision for that site, you should just go away. We don't like dissenting opinions.

Actually, I'm just stirring up trouble, and I think you're being a dick.
Could you explain in greater depth what "people like us/them" are doing? I think it would add to your site to have posters who were simultaneously trolls, insightful, and funny.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”