1134: "Logic Boat"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Mike Rosoft
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:56 pm UTC
Location: Prague, Czech Republic

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

Postby Mike Rosoft » Fri Nov 16, 2012 7:18 am UTC

My solution from when I was about 4 years old:

1) Take cabbage and goat across the river in one ride. While you're rowing, the goat eats the cabbage.
2) Return for the wolf and unload him in the middle of the river.


Mike Rosoft

User avatar
kejohm
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:58 am UTC
Location: UTC +10

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

Postby kejohm » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:41 pm UTC

If you have the goat eat the cabbage and the wolf eat the goat, then you can carry all of them in one convenient package.

Also, new avatar!

Tounx
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 1:59 pm UTC

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

Postby Tounx » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:39 pm UTC

That picture of the largest cabbage is terrifying.

User avatar
Velexia
Posts: 196
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:10 pm UTC

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

Postby Velexia » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:59 pm UTC

mathmannix wrote:You have a Level 13 Charmander (a Fire-type Pokémon), a Level 13 Bulbasaur (a Grass-type Pokémon), and a Level 13 Squirtle (a Water-type Pokémon), on one side of the river. If you leave the Charmander alone with the Bulbasaur, he will kill himwith his Ember move. If you leave the Bulbasaur alone with the Squirtle, he will kill him with his Vine Whip move. If you leave the Squirtle alone with the Charmander, he will kill it with his Water Gun move. You can only carry one Poké Ball aboard the boat. What do you do?


Pokeball all of them, take them across one by one. Why would you have all of them out at once anyway =P

peewee_RotA wrote:Woah, we totally forgot about this one!
And in case anyone was wondering there is a "goatkcd.com"... don't go there. You've been warned. :shock:


Once the image has been burned into your mind, seeing it again is not very shocking ("Oh yes, that picture"). I am disappointed that there is no alt-text.
Hail Eris!

User avatar
mathmannix
Posts: 1451
Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:12 pm UTC
Location: Washington, DC

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

Postby mathmannix » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:12 pm UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
mathmannix wrote:You have a Level 13 Charmander (a Fire-type Pokémon), a Level 13 Bulbasaur (a Grass-type Pokémon), and a Level 13 Squirtle (a Water-type Pokémon), on one side of the river. If you leave the Charmander alone with the Bulbasaur, he will kill himwith his Ember move. If you leave the Bulbasaur alone with the Squirtle, he will kill him with his Vine Whip move. If you leave the Squirtle alone with the Charmander, he will kill it with his Water Gun move. You can only carry one Poké Ball aboard the boat. What do you do?

1.Win multiple trainer battles
2.Heal Pokemon at PokeCenter
3.Buy HM03 at PokeMart
4.Teach surf to Squirtle(Only if you have the Soul Badge)
5.Put charmander in boat (we can't be having him getting wet)
6.Have Squirtle use surf to carry Bulbasaur across alongside you

Or alternatively:
1.Win multiple trainer battles
2.Heal Pokemon at PokeCenter
3.Buy HM02 at PokeMart
4.lvl Charmander into a Charizard then teach him Fly
5.Carry either Squirtle or Bulbasaur across river then return for the other
(but only if you have both the Thunder Badge and Rainbow Badge)

Or alternatively:
1.Store Charmander and Squirtle in a PC bringing the Bulbasaur to battle all the Magikarp you will encounter while crossing
2.Retrieve Charmander and Squirtle at the next town

Or alternatively:
1.Use Squirtle with Surf instead of the boat and make two trips

Or alternatively:
1.Rescue Mr Fugi from Team Rocket and use the PokeFlute he gives you to wake the Snorlax blocking the bridge


Okay, so there are lots of solutions... I also liked J Thomas' idea that Squirtle can already swim (all evidence suggests he is a naturally strong swimmer and wouldn't need to learn Surf), and that's more or less what I had in mind originally. However, I was also hoping BHG would tell me "Nah, I'm not really into Pokémon."
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

Postby peewee_RotA » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:43 pm UTC

Velexia wrote:
peewee_RotA wrote:Woah, we totally forgot about this one!
And in case anyone was wondering there is a "goatkcd.com"... don't go there. You've been warned. :shock:


Once the image has been burned into your mind, seeing it again is not very shocking ("Oh yes, that picture"). I am disappointed that there is no alt-text.


Now I'm disappointed that I didn't think to check for alt text the first time.
Image
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9116
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

Postby BlitzGirl » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:08 am UTC

kejohm wrote:If you have the goat eat the cabbage and the wolf eat the goat, then you can carry all of them in one convenient package.


For one truly convenient package you must let the wolf eat you too.
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

User avatar
bmonk
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm UTC
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

Postby bmonk » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:43 am UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:
kejohm wrote:If you have the goat eat the cabbage and the wolf eat the goat, then you can carry all of them in one convenient package.


For one truly convenient package you must let the wolf eat you too.

Or, conversely, eat the wolf.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.


User avatar
BlitzGirl
Posts: 9116
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: Out of the basement for Yip 6! Schizoblitz: 115/2672 NP
Contact:

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

Postby BlitzGirl » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:56 am UTC

bmonk wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:
kejohm wrote:If you have the goat eat the cabbage and the wolf eat the goat, then you can carry all of them in one convenient package.

For one truly convenient package you must let the wolf eat you too.

Or, conversely, eat the wolf.

But if the wolf eats you, you can come out of its stomach alive! Just stay close to your goat.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wolf_a ... Young_Kids
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<Profile
~.Image~.FAQ->Image

shokoshu
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:13 pm UTC

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

Postby shokoshu » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:14 am UTC

Completely irrelevant to this thread: "Rubicon" by Gil Alkabetz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3mQn0n7JpI
Until ca. 1:00 the solution is OK...but then it quickly deteriorates into a no-holds barred chaos :mrgreen:
(Surgeons Warning: Contains no ninjas.)

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:41 pm UTC

shokoshu wrote:Completely irrelevant to this thread: "Rubicon" by Gil Alkabetz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3mQn0n7JpI
Until ca. 1:00 the solution is OK...but then it quickly deteriorates into a no-holds barred chaos :mrgreen:
(Surgeons Warning: Contains no ninjas.)



That was funny up until it got really friggin weird.

But it offers a great solution. Put the cabbage on your head, put the goat in the boat, and use the wolf as an oar.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
orthogon
Posts: 3099
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 7:52 am UTC
Location: The Airy 1830 ellipsoid

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

Postby orthogon » Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:18 pm UTC

shokoshu wrote:(Surgeons Warning: Contains no ninjas.)

On the contrary, the ninja just remains characteristically well hidden throughout.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

User avatar
bmonk
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm UTC
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

Postby bmonk » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:08 am UTC

shokoshu wrote:Completely irrelevant to this thread: "Rubicon" by Gil Alkabetz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3mQn0n7JpI
Until ca. 1:00 the solution is OK...but then it quickly deteriorates into a no-holds barred chaos :mrgreen:
(Surgeons Warning: Contains no ninjas.)

Not really: It's the surrealist solution.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

User avatar
peewee_RotA
Posts: 504
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:19 pm UTC

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

Postby peewee_RotA » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:23 pm UTC

bmonk wrote:Not really: It's the surrealist solution.


As opposed to the Cerealist solution proposed earlier:

BlitzGirl wrote:Image
http://xkcd.com/27/
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

User avatar
PTGFlyer
Posts: 12
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:15 pm UTC

Re: 1134: "Logic Boat"

Postby PTGFlyer » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:52 pm UTC

YOU HAVE A WOLF BECAUSE WOLVES ARE AWESOME.
You leave the cabbage, Randall.


Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: acunning40, mscha and 51 guests