1139: "Rubber and Glue"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Magistrates, Prelates, Moderators General

1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby rhomboidal » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:06 am UTC

Image

Title Text: I'm rubber. You're rubber. We contemplate the reality of our existence in mute, vulcanized horror.

I shudder to think what BHG as a boy would've done with sticks and stones.
User avatar
rhomboidal
 
Posts: 550
Joined: Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:25 pm UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:08 am UTC

oh, I missed it again. Wow, the origins of BHG. And that's how zentai suits were made!
User avatar
Quicksilver
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:21 am UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:12 am UTC

I actually have the 90th edition of the CRC Handbook. Won it for being outstanding freshman at my school. How times have changed.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.
User avatar
cjmcjmcjmcjm
 
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 am UTC
Location: Anywhere the internet is strong

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Himself » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:17 am UTC

BHG, tormenting people since first grade.
"Looking me am a civilization person"
-Ratio Tile
User avatar
Himself
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:17 am UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby madock345 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:21 am UTC

And now he is Hatman? suddenly I have the old batman song stuck in my head...
"As the size of an Explosion increses the number of social situations it is incapable of resolving approches zero"
-Vaarsuvius, The Order of the Stick
Spoiler:
ethereal_fire wrote:madock345, I like your sig : )

Qwerty.55 wrote:I like your new recursive sig even better than before.
User avatar
madock345
 
Posts: 48
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:26 am UTC
Location: My used book store near Seattle WA

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby srwight » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:02 am UTC

rhomboidal wrote:I shudder to think what BHG as a boy would've done with sticks and stones.


Teacher to Hatmom - Ms. Hat, you understand, your son was THROWING ROCKS AT ONE STUDENT, and CALLING THE OTHER VILE NAMES, right?

Hatmom - Does this school not believe in the scientific method?

Teacher - What he was doing was wrong!

Hatmom - What he was doing was testing another child's stated hypothesis. Perhaps the other children should be less violent in their conjecture.
srwight
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:31 am UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Jorpho » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:11 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:I actually have the 90th edition of the CRC Handbook. Won it for being outstanding freshman at my school. How times have changed.
If wordplay fails, it serves more than adequately for inflicting blunt force trauma, amirite?
User avatar
Jorpho
 
Posts: 5623
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:26 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:oh, I missed it again. Wow, the origins of BHG. And that's how zentai suits were made!



Here's a question to contemplate.


Is this BHG as a child?

Or is this the child of BHG?


(I'm inclined to think this is BHG, but the possibility of a son between him and his girlfriend is too much to resist)

Either way, this is great. I want more of Hatboy.

And Hatmom. Just because.
User avatar
Djehutynakht
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Quicksilver » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:34 am UTC

Djehutynakht wrote:
Quicksilver wrote:oh, I missed it again. Wow, the origins of BHG. And that's how zentai suits were made!



Here's a question to contemplate.


Is this BHG as a child?

Or is this the child of BHG?


(I'm inclined to think this is BHG, but the possibility of a son between him and his girlfriend is too much to resist)

Either way, this is great. I want more of Hatboy.

And Hatmom. Just because.
BHG doesn't strike me as the type to have children, unless it was some twisted social experiment. That being the case, who would the mother be?
User avatar
Quicksilver
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:21 am UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Darvince » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:40 am UTC

madock345 wrote:And now he is Hatman? suddenly I have the old batman song stuck in my head...

Nananananananana Hatman!
User avatar
Darvince
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:59 am UTC
Location: Stronk black lesbian transwomyn of color

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Djehutynakht » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:07 am UTC

Quicksilver wrote:BHG doesn't strike me as the type to have children, unless it was some twisted social experiment. That being the case, who would the mother be?


http://xkcd.com/433/
User avatar
Djehutynakht
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:37 am UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Keiji » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:15 am UTC

Darvince wrote:
madock345 wrote:And now he is Hatman? suddenly I have the old batman song stuck in my head...

Nananananananana Hatman!


Reading this comment while listening to nyan cat...

Nyanyanyanyanyanyanyanya Hatman.
Keiji
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:17 am UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby nowhereman » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:26 am UTC

Being a substitute teacher was bad enough without worrying that a student might try to snipe me. I am a little too suceptible to that for my comfort.
"God does not play dice with... Yahtzee!" - Little known quote from Einstein
nowhereman
 
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:46 pm UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby keithl » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:34 am UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:I actually have the 90th edition of the CRC Handbook. Won it for being outstanding freshman at my school. How times have changed.


OUTSTANDING! Times actually haven't changed as much as I've feared, and the fact that young people still appreciate the "Rubber Bible" is very comforting.

I have the 49th, won at my high school in 1969, similar circumstances. My favorite page is "physical constants", F-167 in my edition. This was before calculators, long before personal computers, so the first 160 pages or so were numerical tables of logarithms, trig functions, etc.

I used these trig tables to verify the output of one of the first programs I ever wrote, a FORTRAN program for an IBM 1130, which computed sine and cosine tables. I used something resembling an FFT butterfly to compute the table very quickly, which blew my teacher away. Hint - accurately compute the sine and cosine of one degree, use those to compute sin(2°) and cos(2°), etc. Extra credit for estimating and back-correcting the errors given the computed errors for sin(90°) and cos(90°).

I used the integral tables until recently, when integrals.wolfram.com appeared.

I love this book. Thanks, Randal, for reminding me!

BTW, I didn't use rubber&glue. I used to say "without people like me, people like you would be picking your breakfast off the bottom of flat rocks". I got beat up a lot.
Philosophy is the culmination of mankind's quest to prove there is nothing worth thinking about.
User avatar
keithl
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby hetas » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:50 am UTC

Could someone explain this "I'm rubber you're glue"-thing to a foreignor? All I know is that it was a good weapon in Monkey Island insult fight.

I'd rather hear it from you than from Wikipedia.
hetas
 
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri May 13, 2011 5:17 am UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby ijuin » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:51 am UTC

srwight wrote:
rhomboidal wrote:I shudder to think what BHG as a boy would've done with sticks and stones.


Teacher to Hatmom - Ms. Hat, you understand, your son was THROWING ROCKS AT ONE STUDENT, and CALLING THE OTHER VILE NAMES, right?

Hatmom - Does this school not believe in the scientific method?

Teacher - What he was doing was wrong!

Hatmom - What he was doing was testing another child's stated hypothesis. Perhaps the other children should be less violent in their conjecture.


Shouldn't he have been throwing sticks as well as stones? :D
ijuin
 
Posts: 445
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:02 pm UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby sotanaht » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:21 am UTC

hetas wrote:Could someone explain this "I'm rubber you're glue"-thing to a foreignor? All I know is that it was a good weapon in Monkey Island insult fight.

I'd rather hear it from you than from Wikipedia.


"I'm rubber and you're glue, whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you" is the full line. I would hope you understand it from that.
Last edited by sotanaht on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:24 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.
sotanaht
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:14 am UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby jacog » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:22 am UTC

For the sake of all humanity, I hope Black Hat Guy uses rubbers.
User avatar
jacog
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:55 am UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Klear » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:08 am UTC

hetas wrote:Could someone explain this "I'm rubber you're glue"-thing to a foreignor? All I know is that it was a good weapon in Monkey Island insult fight.


It was a lousy line meaning you pretty much give up the fight.

In any case, I remember first googling the phrase after seeing it in monkey island =p
User avatar
Klear
 
Posts: 1700
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby TimXCampbell » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:23 am UTC

I don't get this one.

Yes, I remember the line “i'm rubber and you're glue” from my childhood, but I don't see how this leads to “I'm rubber. You're rubber.”

There's something here that I'm missing. Maybe it'd help if I knew what the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics is ... maybe.

Can somebody enlighten me? Why is this one funny?
User avatar
TimXCampbell
 
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:26 am UTC
Location: Very Eastern Kentucky, USA

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby dudiobugtron » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:50 am UTC

TimXCampbell wrote:I don't get this one.

Yes, I remember the line “i'm rubber and you're glue” from my childhood, but I don't see how this leads to “I'm rubber. You're rubber.”

That's the 'alt-text', it's not part of the main joke. It's just speculation about what would happen if the phrase was different.
Image
User avatar
dudiobugtron
 
Posts: 1098
Joined: Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:14 am UTC
Location: The Outlier

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby BlitzGirl » Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:52 am UTC

Who's the girl on top of the swing set? BHG's future girlfriend?
Knight Temporal of the One True Comic
BlitzGirl the Pink, Mopey Molpy Mome
Spoiler:
Image
Image
Image<-Blog
~.Image~.FAQ->Image
Have fun on your blitz, TieSoul!
User avatar
BlitzGirl
 
Posts: 7139
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 11:48 am UTC
Location: In the 2100s. (Ketchup required 1522-32, 1633-50, 1879-86, 2116-32.)

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Garnasha » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:59 am UTC

TimXCampbell wrote:There's something here that I'm missing. Maybe it'd help if I knew what the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics is ... maybe.
You're one of today's lucky 10000. "CRC" originally stood for Chemical Rubber Company, and the book has been nicknamed the rubber bible.

It's what I know as a "book of tables", and probably one of the best. Books of tables are very fun things to have, and every good science lover should own at least one. The amount of information they contain is massive, including things as the physical constants, binding energies (and the radioactivity you get from every existing isotope of any element), properties of all sorts of materials both pure (as in, describable by a single chemical formula and a mass) and mixed (raw oil, wood, air), including rubber and possibly glue, properties of celestial bodies, mathematical formulas, the periodic table (of course) and much more.

tl;dr: If you're a (science) nerd, you should love that book. If you're not, you'll think anyone reading it for fun is an extreme nerd (and you'd be right, but teasing them about it isn't wise, you'll probably end up working for them. Or they'll craft horrifying mental images of glue bonding rubber)
Garnasha
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:32 am UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:03 pm UTC

BHK looks like he belongs in a John Hughes movie.
User avatar
AvatarIII
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Tryss » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:05 pm UTC

BlitzGirl wrote:Who's the girl on top of the swing set? BHG's future girlfriend?


She doesn't have something to cut/remove the ropes of the swing set, so I'm not sure it's her
Tryss
 
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:16 am UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby hamjudo » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:44 pm UTC

TimXCampbell wrote:I don't get this one.

Yes, I remember the line “i'm rubber and you're glue” from my childhood, but I don't see how this leads to “I'm rubber. You're rubber.”

There's something here that I'm missing. Maybe it'd help if I knew what the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics is ... maybe.

Can somebody enlighten me? Why is this one funny?


The glue has a "neoprene base". Neoprene is a type of rubber. BHG is a solid volcanized rubber. His victim starts out as a liquid rubber.
hamjudo
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:56 pm UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Rotherian » Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:55 pm UTC

Tryss wrote:
BlitzGirl wrote:Who's the girl on top of the swing set? BHG's future girlfriend?


She doesn't have something to cut/remove the ropes of the swing set, so I'm not sure it's her


To be fair, we don't really see all of her trailing arm, so it may be conveniently off screen. :)
There are two general categories of opinion: regular opinions and informed opinions.
Please do not argue with me unless your opinion falls into the latter category.
Image
Rotherian
 
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:57 pm UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Mirkwood » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:55 pm UTC

Our chemistry teacher showed us his 62nd edition copy of the Handbook of Chemistry and Physics today, and I was fascinated by it.

Randall. Head. Out.
Mirkwood
 
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:10 am UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby CousinFabian » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:12 pm UTC

I give you a hamburger.
CousinFabian
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed May 25, 2011 5:24 am UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby alvinhochun » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:37 pm UTC

If rubber meets glue, does glue stick to rubber or does rubber stick to glue?
Or it's that rubber is stuck to glue or it's that glue is stuck to rubber?
User avatar
alvinhochun
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 3:07 pm UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Klear » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:00 pm UTC

alvinhochun wrote:If rubber meets glue, does glue stick to rubber or does rubber stick to glue?
Or it's that rubber is stuck to glue or it's that glue is stuck to rubber?


No idea. I'm stuck.
User avatar
Klear
 
Posts: 1700
Joined: Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:43 am UTC
Location: Prague

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby AvatarIII » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:58 pm UTC

alvinhochun wrote:If rubber meets glue, does glue stick to rubber or does rubber stick to glue?
Or it's that rubber is stuck to glue or it's that glue is stuck to rubber?


They stick to each other, they are stuck to each other, so all of the above I guess.
User avatar
AvatarIII
 
Posts: 2101
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:28 pm UTC
Location: W.Sussex, UK

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby keithl » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:14 pm UTC

Garnasha wrote:tl;dr: If you're a (science) nerd, you should love that book. If you're not, you'll think anyone reading it for fun is an extreme nerd (and you'd be right, but teasing them about it isn't wise, you'll probably end up working for them. Or they'll craft horrifying mental images of glue bonding rubber)


Read "Nerds: How Dorks, Dweebs, Techies, and Trekkies Can Save America and Why They Might Be Our Last Hope" by David Anderegg, 2007. The book didn't change a thing. In India and China, scholarly kids are admired by their peers. In the US they are attacked by other students, the media, even teachers and their own parents. After a few decades of this, the US economy is tanking, and many "nerds" are leaving for more hospitable places to work. So the teasers will be working for the "nerds" only if they are lucky. More likely they will be unemployed, marching in protests with the similarly clueless.
Philosophy is the culmination of mankind's quest to prove there is nothing worth thinking about.
User avatar
keithl
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:46 pm UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby EpicanicusStrikes » Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:25 pm UTC

keithl wrote: So the teasers will be working for the "nerds" only if they are lucky. More likely they will be unemployed, marching in protests with the similarly clueless.

Eh, maybe. Most of the teasers go on to military, law-enforcement and political careers. Then there are the ones who move through the Frat systems and end up dominating the money that nerds require for their research.

Not all of them end up as used car dealers and gym teachers like Hollywood wants us to believe. Also, not every nerd perfects the killer app that launches a new tech giant. Sometimes the bully becomes the national security agent who busts the brilliant nerd hacking things from his mom's basement.

In a less snarky light, a lot of the tech-oriented students go on to become overworked technicians who's brilliant inventions are 90% owned by the company providing them with the resources needed for creating them in the first place. And then you move on to discover the higgs boson only to realize that nobody's really paying much for them.
User avatar
EpicanicusStrikes
Random Boners = True Attraction
 
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:36 am UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby cjmcjmcjmcjm » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:06 pm UTC

Jorpho wrote:
cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:I actually have the 90th edition of the CRC Handbook. Won it for being outstanding freshman at my school. How times have changed.
If wordplay fails, it serves more than adequately for inflicting blunt force trauma, amirite?

Correct. The Big Red P Chem book also serves that purpose well.
frezik wrote:Anti-photons move at the speed of dark

DemonDeluxe wrote:Paying to have laws written that allow you to do what you want, is a lot cheaper than paying off the judge every time you want to get away with something shady.
User avatar
cjmcjmcjmcjm
 
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:15 am UTC
Location: Anywhere the internet is strong

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Joren » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:45 pm UTC

Am I the only one tempted to use this as a flirting method?
To heck, I will try this out someday!
Joren
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:41 pm UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Yoshisummons » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:21 pm UTC

keithl wrote:
Garnasha wrote:tl;dr: If you're a (science) nerd, you should love that book. If you're not, you'll think anyone reading it for fun is an extreme nerd (and you'd be right, but teasing them about it isn't wise, you'll probably end up working for them. Or they'll craft horrifying mental images of glue bonding rubber)


Read "Nerds: How Dorks, Dweebs, Techies, and Trekkies Can Save America and Why They Might Be Our Last Hope" by David Anderegg, 2007. The book didn't change a thing. In India and China, scholarly kids are admired by their peers. In the US they are attacked by other students, the media, even teachers and their own parents. After a few decades of this, the US economy is tanking, and many "nerds" are leaving for more hospitable places to work. So the teasers will be working for the "nerds" only if they are lucky. More likely they will be unemployed, marching in protests with the similarly clueless.

Well, to be honest you operated on the assumption that people would voluntarily read a book on their free time.
eran_rathan wrote:Listen to the man with the cone on his head - these are Words of WisdomTM.
User avatar
Yoshisummons
 
Posts: 92
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:47 pm UTC
Location: Happily curled up in a cardboard box alone

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby bmonk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:39 pm UTC

Am I the only person not employed in science-related work who has not only the CRC Chemistry and Physics book, but the Mathematics Tables book as well?
"The position was well put indeed in a famous speech by Jzbl to the graduates of the Central Saturnian University, when he said that it was a source of great pride to him that although hardly anybody knew anything any longer, everybody now knew how to find out everything."
User avatar
bmonk
 
Posts: 622
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:14 pm UTC

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Jorpho » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:51 pm UTC

cjmcjmcjmcjm wrote:Correct. The Big Red P Chem book also serves that purpose well.
I've never heard it called that before, though I have always regarded it as most worthy.
User avatar
Jorpho
 
Posts: 5623
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:31 am UTC
Location: Canada

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby addams » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:43 am UTC

Books. I miss my books, sometimes.
Books are heavy.
The books you people are musing over are heavy materal in many ways.

P. Chem books make me laugh. That shit is hard.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.
addams
 
Posts: 6959
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:44 am UTC

Next

Return to Individual XKCD Comic Threads

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], macraw83, Sustainabilizer, yappobiscuits and 20 guests