1139: "Rubber and Glue"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Trimalchio

Re: 1139: "Rubber and Glue"

Postby Trimalchio » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:24 am UTC

I had always thought BHG would sound like Dr. Strangelove. I see now that I was wrong. He sounds like Javier Bardem in No Country For Old Men.

gladiolas

Postby gladiolas » Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:25 pm UTC

My problem was the bullies just didn't listen to my wit and creativity.
I even tried telling a bathroom/polack joke in junior high once, and they just shrugged and walked away. Maybe the one I came up with *was* a bit more intellectually challenging than most. :mrgreen: :P :roll:
I tended to respond with scratching and hair-pulling, so the abuse I got was more verbal than physical. I guess bullies don't appreciate scratching and hair-pulling.

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:25 pm UTC

gladiolas wrote:I even tried telling a bathroom/polack joke in junior high once, and they just shrugged and walked away. Maybe the one I came up with *was* a bit more intellectually challenging than most.

Not exactly bullies-related, but this reminds me of a funny anecdote: some distant acquaintances I knew and didn't get on with great (because they were all "gangsta" and I was so very not) were having a yo-momma-off in a parking lot. I approached them and in a pause in the dialogue said in a somewhat stilted, Sheldon-like voice (intentional), "Like 'Ol' Flat Top' from the classic Beatles song Come Together, 'yo momma'" (with audible quotes) "is so attractive that she's hard to see." Beat. Funny looks my direction. "'Cause any light which reaches her is unable to escape." Beat. "Because her attractiveness is gravitational." Beat, then in a more 'gangsta' tone, "...cause she fat." One last beat, and uproarious laughter. Somehow I doubt most of them actually got the joke, but apparently the presentation was funny enough on its own, which was the real point.

I tended to respond with scratching and hair-pulling, so the abuse I got was more verbal than physical. I guess bullies don't appreciate scratching and hair-pulling.

The only language bullies understand is violence, preferably very public violence against one with high social standing among such bullies. Smothering one "lead" bully's face in the sand pit was enough to get people my own age to stop physically tormenting me in elementary school. Choking a 6th-grade bully with a yo-yo in the middle of the playground in 3rd grade was enough to get the older kids to back off too. (They were both fine afterward, no lasting damage, if you're concerned). People still verbally teased me a lot until some kid (who turned out to be the quarterback, not that I knew that at the time) escalated a verbal fight into a physical one in the middle of our first school dance and I put him over a table and into a wall in front of everybody. Never got any shit (verbal or physical) from anyone after that. And in my experience a small amount of martial arts training plus general ruthlessness is enough to win a fight against your average bully.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

Klear

Postby Klear » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:29 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:The only language bullies understand is violence, preferably very public violence against one with high social standing among such bullies. Smothering one "lead" bully's face in the sand pit was enough to get people my own age to stop physically tormenting me in elementary school. Choking a 6th-grade bully with a yo-yo in the middle of the playground in 3rd grade was enough to get the older kids to back off too. (They were both fine afterward, no lasting damage, if you're concerned). People still verbally teased me a lot until some kid (who turned out to be the quarterback, not that I knew that at the time) escalated a verbal fight into a physical one in the middle of our first school dance and I put him over a table and into a wall in front of everybody. Never got any shit (verbal or physical) from anyone after that. And in my experience a small amount of martial arts training plus general ruthlessness is enough to win a fight against your average bully.

Uhm.. .are you sure it wasn't you who was the bully? =)

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:45 pm UTC

Klear wrote:Uhm.. .are you sure it wasn't you who was the bully? =)

I've never started a fight in my life, and those are literally the only three times I've ever fought back. Compared to all the shit I suffered without any retaliation outside those incidents, yeah I think I was definitely on the bullied side, not the bullying side.
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

diab0l

Postby diab0l » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:26 pm UTC

Am I the only one who found the comic to be extremely dull and not in the least bit funny or does criticism get censored around here?

I have been a fan for xkcd for a while now, but lately the BHG-jokes seem so.. artificial. Like, I want to laugh because it's BHG, but I can't because it just isn't funny anymore.

mathmannix

Postby mathmannix » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:06 pm UTC

diab0l wrote:Am I the only one who found the comic to be extremely dull and not in the least bit funny or does criticism get censored around here?

I have been a fan for xkcd for a while now, but lately the BHG-jokes seem so.. artificial. Like, I want to laugh because it's BHG, but I can't because it just isn't funny anymore.

I pretty much agree... I think the funniest thing about this comic was the girl walking atop the swingset. (Hey! Is that Summer Glau?) BHG seems too depressed lately. (The last good one he was in was Click and Drag. Before that, maybe Interview back in August.) He probably needs a good blast of Super Soaker.
I hear velociraptor tastes like chicken.

dtilque

Postby dtilque » Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:33 pm UTC

Do they actually publish the CRC Handbook in hardcopy anymore? That's so last millennium...

I haven't opened one since the early 80s, I think. At that time the astronomical section was seriously out of date. And had been for at least 10 years at that point. I wonder if they ever got it updated...
“This world is a strange madhouse. Currently, every coachman and every waiter is debating whether relativity theory is correct. Belief in this matter depends on political party affiliation.”
-- Albert Einstein, 12 September 1920

addams

Postby addams » Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:23 am UTC

ahh. The 1980's. Books were heavy.

Computers are so much better; If and only if the electric and internet remain.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Fire Brns

Postby Fire Brns » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:25 pm UTC

Pfhorrest wrote:

I've never started a fight in my life, and those are literally the only three times I've ever fought back. Compared to all the shit I suffered without any retaliation outside those incidents, yeah I think I was definitely on the bullied side, not the bullying side.

Everyone bullies at least a little bit, your brain just tends to omit those instances. I would certainly describe myself on the bullied side but there were at least 3 instances in my memory where I verbally abused others and who knows how many other instances I've forgotten.
People need to stop acting like bullying is a one way street and just learn to be nicer in general but not shy from disproportionate retribution if someone does mess with you. After all, electrical shocks teach mice to stay away from buttons, being choked out with a childrens toy would teach a bully not to lay a hand on said choker; heck, once in a "hazing incident" a kid grabbed me from behind and tried covering my mouth so I couldn't call for help. I got my own help, I grabbed the nearest stick I could, swung it around clocking him right in the face. Guess who didn't mess with me again.
Pfhorrest wrote:As someone who is not easily offended, I don't really mind anything in this conversation.
Mighty Jalapeno wrote:It was the Renaissance. Everyone was Italian.

mikrit

Postby mikrit » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:23 pm UTC

I read this comic when it appeared, found it mildly funny, and didn't check the forums. I had no idea that "I am rubber, you are glue" was a saying.

Today I heard the saying in a very old Simpsons episode (Bart trains his vigilantes to fight Nelson the bully), so I finally got the joke. Hatboy makes more sense now.

Oh, and I see your CRC Handbook and raise with Handbook of Mathematical Functions (Abramowitz and Stegun), my souvenir from a course in Numerical Analysis. My main use for it now is to display it on my desk to impress co-workers.
Hatted and wimpled by ergman.
Dubbed "First and Eldest of Ottificators" by svenman.
Febrion wrote: "etc" is latin for "this would look better with more examples, but I can't think of any".

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:59 am UTC

Fire Brns wrote:
Pfhorrest wrote:

Everyone bullies at least a little bit, your brain just tends to omit those instances. I would certainly describe myself on the bullied side but there were at least 3 instances in my memory where I verbally abused others and who knows how many other instances I've forgotten.
People need to stop acting like bullying is a one way street and just learn to be nicer in general but not shy from disproportionate retribution if someone does mess with you. After all, electrical shocks teach mice to stay away from buttons, being choked out with a childrens toy would teach a bully not to lay a hand on said choker; heck, once in a "hazing incident" a kid grabbed me from behind and tried covering my mouth so I couldn't call for help. I got my own help, I grabbed the nearest stick I could, swung it around clocking him right in the face. Guess who didn't mess with me again.

Everybody bullies others somewhat, but only some escalate it to the level of assault and battery (or threats thereof) that would constitute a criminal offense in and of itself. Everybody's threatened "I'm gonna kick your ass!" a few times, but few actually beat somebody so badly that they need medical attention beyond some bandages.

Jorpho

Postby Jorpho » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:43 pm UTC

ijuin wrote:Everybody bullies others somewhat, but only some escalate it to the level of assault and battery (or threats thereof) that would constitute a criminal offense in and of itself. Everybody's threatened "I'm gonna kick your ass!" a few times, but few actually beat somebody so badly that they need medical attention beyond some bandages.
But as has been amply demonstrated, things do not need to escalate to the level of assault and battery (or threats thereof) to make someone's life a living hell.

Yakk
Poster with most posts but no title.

Postby Yakk » Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:46 pm UTC

Vaguely appropriate:
http://www.int33h.com/test/mi/
(Insult sword fighting, from Monkey Island, as a browser-based game.)
One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision - BR

Last edited by JHVH on Fri Oct 23, 4004 BCE 6:17 pm, edited 6 times in total.

addams

Postby addams » Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:48 am UTC

Children bully in practice for adulthood.
Not all, but many.
Nicer? Why would people be nice?
Bully becomes a way of life; A lifestyle choice.

Adults are the same people they were as children.
Some are professional bullies.

Animals play as juveniles in preparation for adulthood.
Some are very good bullies.
An elk male practiced his bully techniques out on me.
He was good. I was intimidated.
Not one word was said.
Maybe, he wanted to play with me.
The tourists by the car were near tears.

So, funny. I had locked the car.
I did not have to
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

TrueNarnian

Postby TrueNarnian » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:18 pm UTC

I think this is Black Hat Guy as a kid, not his son. I also think the girl walking on top of the monkey bars in the background is the girl who will grow up to steal his hat and then marry him.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”