1141: "Two Years"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

androkguz

Re: 1141:"Two Years"

Postby androkguz » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:28 pm UTC

I had to register just to comment on this one. I am really glad for Randall, but this comic couldn't have come at a best/worse moment for me.

Just today my dad had a prostate biopsy and we are waiting 5 days for the results. If they come up positive... I fear he will give up before those 2 years.
I wanted to take my mind off from the test and to procastinate a little my thesis work so I checked xkcd... and found this.

ImThatGuy

Postby ImThatGuy » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:31 pm UTC

I lost my first wife to cancer fifteen years ago. During the time she was sick, most of her friends stopped hanging around with her, I guess because they were young and didn't know how to deal with death, or even the threat of it. But I had a coworker, Rachel, who became a good friend to both of us. She was supportive, helped us when we needed it, she was there for us. She came to my wife's funeral and wept bitterly.

A couple of months after my wife passed, Rachel sits down with me and says, "There's something I need to tell you. When I was a teenager, I was diagnosed with cancer. I spent a year in chemotherapy, and during that year I became very good friends with another girl who was going through therapy as well. After a year I went into remission. But my friend didn't. When I went to her funeral, I tried to give her mother a hug, but she recoiled from me. She said, 'Why is it that you are still here and my daughter is dead? What makes you so special?" Rachel was bursting into tears at this point. "I wanted to tell you, but I've been so afraid of what you might say."

It was strange. Because I had this sudden urge to bitch slap a senior citizen I had never met. At the same time, I was terrified. What could I say? Rachel must have been terrified as well, the poor thing, because I was sitting there staring at her, totally paralyzed, for a good ten seconds or so. Finally, I got up and gave her a hug. And I said, "Rachel, I am so glad you are here."

I've never met you, Randall, or your wife. But let me say, with all sincerity, I am glad she's here.

orthogon

Postby orthogon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:31 pm UTC

Jackpot777 wrote:Well, I could say purple monkey sparkle dishwasher, but that just makes no sense.

... but you did say it, and now we all know your password.

Best wishes to all of you who are having to deal with this stuff.
xtifr wrote:... and orthogon merely sounds undecided.

firefueled

Postby firefueled » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:37 pm UTC

That was beautiful. I'm happy for you two

cameroda

Postby cameroda » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:38 pm UTC

:mrgreen: Love this one.

UrbanAchiever

Postby UrbanAchiever » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:44 pm UTC

I've lurked this board for several years now but finally, just today, made an account so I could express how beautiful I found this comic. I'm actually a bit teared up now.

Wonderful!

timiji

Postby timiji » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:49 pm UTC

Another new forum member because of this.

Keep on keeping on.

Hzza

Postby Hzza » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:49 pm UTC

It was my partners 1 year lumpectomy aniversary last week sometime, 3 weeks after my daughters first birthday. Both were fine throughout the treatment, even though they were nested (infact if we had found out any earlier then we did we might not have been able to go ahead with the pregnancy which I can only just bring myself to think about).

Glad you and yours are ok, all the best mate.

Cervisiae Amatorem

Postby Cervisiae Amatorem » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:53 pm UTC

I have nothing to add but what has already been said. Congratulations and all the best to you and yours Randall.

M_Six

Postby M_Six » Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:56 pm UTC

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D 8-)

May you enjoy many, many more.

UrbanAchiever

Postby UrbanAchiever » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:00 pm UTC

I've lurked for several years, but felt compelled to create an account just now so I could attempt to express how beautiful I found this comic. I'm actually a bit teared up right now.

Wonderful!

Kaden

Postby Kaden » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:02 pm UTC

Happy Biopsy-versary, Mr. & Mrs. Munroe! :mrgreen: I'm all teared up from the comic and the forum responses and from what I'm attempting to write, but it's in a "life is beautiful" kind of way.

I've thought about Mrs. Munroe several times since I first started reading XKCD- usually, I'd be reading old comics and stumble across one of the cancer ones that was obviously Randall releasing his pent up worries and stress about his significant other. Then I'd go searching through the blog and forum to see if there was any news I didn't already know.

Thank you so much for this update- two years is a huge milestone, and I couldn't be happier for you both. <3 I appreciate these kinds of very personal comics, because it takes a lot of courage to let the whole Internet peek into your life. I hope we can get many more life updates from the Munroe household in the years to come- and I hope they're all good ones. :P

shadowfox4271 wrote:You have been more true to life about cancer in your few comics about the topic than anything I've ever seen (except maybe w;t), and I wanted to say thank you for being honest.

I'm so glad someone else knows about "w;t"! :D Such an amazing play~

wako

Postby wako » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:21 pm UTC

Happy Biopsy-versary! This has to be the greatest comic of all.

bethb

Postby bethb » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:26 pm UTC

Add another to the list of people who registered just to comment on this comic. As I approach my 1 year biopsy-versary, it couldn't be more perfect. Here's to many more happy returns.

Is it dusty in here?

Schlops

Postby Schlops » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:33 pm UTC

Reading (and loving) this comic for a long time and now I'm also a forum member to make a post. I remember that sad news from 2 years ago every time I come here to read a new comic. And every time I was hoping for a comic like this one.

Live long and prosper! Ich wünsche euch ein langes, gesundes und glückliches Leben!

Sitting here smiling with tears in my eyes!

PSUnderwood

Postby PSUnderwood » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:36 pm UTC

Like many others, I'm both smiling and weeping (in a good way). And created an account just to say so. God bless and keep you both.

Chicagojon

Postby Chicagojon » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:37 pm UTC

Somehow congratulations doesn't seem quite right....but holy crap, Congratulations!

Unclevertitle

Postby Unclevertitle » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:43 pm UTC

This is a beautiful comic. I'd like to say congratulations!

Also, I first saw that tree as an atomic explosion. For some reason it didn't seem the least bit out of place.

Negated

Postby Negated » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:43 pm UTC

Very sweet comic. Congratulations.

gryphus08

Postby gryphus08 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:50 pm UTC

Saw the comic today and had to comment. My dad's first biopsy-versary is coming up. Thanks for reminding me of the perspective.

Huindekmi

Postby Huindekmi » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:54 pm UTC

Rather than celebrate the anniversary of my biopsy, I choose to celebrate the anniversary of the day I left the hospital following my last chemo treatment. I just can't celebrate the day I began the descent into hell - and that's really the best way to describe the multiple surgeries, months of nausea and chemo side effects, and weeks at a time confined to a hospital room (the chemo being used had a high incidence of renal failure and other severe side effects, thus required 24/7 monitoring).

I prefer to celebrate the day that I emerged from that hell and started truly healing. It doesn't hurt that the day I left the hospital happened to be St. Patrick's Day. :D

This coming Spring, I hit my 25th anniversary.

Baphomouse

Postby Baphomouse » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:59 pm UTC

I had cancer. Twice. Now im in remission.

This comic is beautiful. The sixth panel struck a chord with me. Its a simple and perfect description of that feeling of dubious future.

Happy Biopsi-versary!

pakruse

Postby pakruse » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:02 pm UTC

I haven't logged in to post a comment in a while, but this comic struck rather close to home.

Randall's experiences have obviously mirrored my own, since he posts these sort of comics at incredibly appropriate times. My wife's second biopsy-versary is this coming Thursday.

Randall, I doubt you spend much time reading the forums (especially deep into an individual comic thread), but the handful of comics on your experiences dealing with this over the past two years have affected me and mine far more than you will probably know, particularly the early ones (836:Sickness, 881:Probability, 931:Lanes). Congratulations on your wife's health, and I wish the two of you many happy years to come.

screen317

Postby screen317 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:06 pm UTC

Absolutely wonderful.

shinksma

Postby shinksma » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:15 pm UTC

I, too, have registered today after being a long-time lurker/reader. My fiancee is about to enter the last round of chemo (and despite knowing what cancer is all about, we are quite convinced/determined it will be the last), with the expectation that we'll be back to "normal" sometime next year. Scrabble is one of our favorite games, and yes, chemo-brain is quite frustrating for all involved.

So congrats Randall, and we hope to toast our second biopsyversary with as much grace and strength as you and yours have shown.

Dang it, I was trying to not get emotional, but I seem to have something in my eye. Must be dust from my keyboard.

shinksma

Lilaspastia

Postby Lilaspastia » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:22 pm UTC

Thank you Randall for your work and passion.

Love.

feral_mouse

Postby feral_mouse » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:26 pm UTC

Congrats on 2 year Biopsy-versary, and wishing you both many,many more!

redfred

Postby redfred » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:30 pm UTC

Congratulations :D

nichus

Postby nichus » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:30 pm UTC

It was just... beautiful. It made me smile and it made me cry. All the best to you guys! A huge hug from Italy =)

redfred

Postby redfred » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:38 pm UTC

ImSpartacus wrote:I'm so sorry for being a Debbie Downer, but I feel like I need to express how awkward this comic made me feel. I'm happy for Mr. Monroe and his beau, and this wasn't a bad comic, but I just can't laugh at it. The jokes were there and I know that they weren't all that bad, but something feels a little off. Although I'm not quite a hundred percent about this comic, I extend my congratulations and hope to see another awkward comic this time next year. Because bluntly, if I don't see another one of these, then overall comic quality would likely drop considerably and that's no good for anyone.

Life will always be both beautiful and awkward. Lets all celebrate! :)

hardcore9

Postby hardcore9 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:56 pm UTC

Long time fan, first time poster (this account is fresh off the press!). Just want to say congrats to you and your special lady Randall, y'all really deserve it. Here's to many, many more wonderful biopsy-versaries!

thywir

Postby thywir » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:06 pm UTC

Happy Biopsy-versary, I'm joining the ranks of the "long-time-silent-readers-who-registered-just-for-replying-to-this-wonderfully-amazing-comic".!

RollingHead

Postby RollingHead » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:17 pm UTC

I'm moved to tears. Great work and congratulations, I wish you both the best.

TimXCampbell

Postby TimXCampbell » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:31 pm UTC

I too was diagnosed with cancer Two Years and 3 months ago but I've never used it as a means to use the word Zarg in Scrabble.

I can identify with that “Next Year?” panel, though. It's akin to what Samuel Johnson once said: “Depend upon it, Sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully.” Knowing there's a better-than-usual chance that there might not be a “next year” (subjectively speaking) is actually pretty neat in a totally non-morbid kind of way. Not that I'm recommending cancer as an alternative lifestyle.

123man

Postby 123man » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:56 pm UTC

My daughter also just passed 2 years post-diagnosis a few weeks ago. This comic especially hit home with the changing of Randall's wife's head/hair and hat. So right on. Congrats to all who are keeping on!

I have links saved for all of XKCD's cancer comics and I go back to them periodically and smile and cry.

AccursedOne

Postby AccursedOne » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:03 pm UTC

androkguz wrote:I had to register just to comment on this one. I am really glad for Randall, but this comic couldn't have come at a best/worse moment for me.

Just today my dad had a prostate biopsy and we are waiting 5 days for the results. If they come up positive... I fear he will give up before those 2 years.
I wanted to take my mind off from the test and to procastinate a little my thesis work so I checked xkcd... and found this.

Registered just to tell you to keep your chin up--my grandfather's had prostate cancer for about a decade, and it hasn't slowed him down any. He takes his meds to keep it under control (not chemo or anything), and he's been going strong the whole time. So even if the worst comes through, there's still plenty hope!

etsisk

Postby etsisk » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:10 pm UTC

This really makes me happy, man! I can't tell you how delighted I am that things have progressed this way for her and for you - for you both. What I wish for you both is many happy biopsy-versaries to come, full of grace, beauty, good humor and joy.

etsisk

Postby etsisk » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:12 pm UTC

Plus this forum needs a "like" button!! So many good wishes and replies - folks ought to know how much they've made the rest of us smile!

Pfhorrest

Postby Pfhorrest » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:46 pm UTC

TimXCampbell wrote:It's akin to what Samuel Johnson once said: “Depend upon it, Sir, when a man knows he is to be hanged in a fortnight, it concentrates his mind wonderfully.”

Sorry to interrupt the reverent/congratulatory tone of this thread, but I had to share: I initially misread that name as Samuel Jackson and had a hell of an amusing time trying to read such a formal and respectful quote in the voice of Jules Winnfield or Neville Flynn.

"I am sick of all this muthafuckin' cancer in this muthafuckin' body!"
Forrest Cameranesi, Geek of All Trades
"I am Sam. Sam I am. I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."
The Codex Quaerendae (my philosophy) - The Chronicles of Quelouva (my fiction)

thywir

Postby thywir » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:01 pm UTC

My best wishes and a happy Biopsy-versary! To many more to come!

Thywir
- one of the "long time silent readers signing up just to comment on this comic"

edit: yay, botched it with a "double post" - didn't read the "post needs confirmation" message
Last edited by thywir on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:58 am UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”