1143:"Location"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

Quicksilver

1143:"Location"

Postby Quicksilver » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:06 am UTC

http://xkcd.com/1143
Alt Text:"Ingress: Foursquare With Space Noises."
I'm viewing it as a breaking the fourth wall moment, where they're excited Randall has put interesting colours into his comic.

rhomboidal

Re: 1143:"Location"

Postby rhomboidal » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 am UTC

"Hey, what did I tell you guys about augmenting my reality without my non-intoxicated consent?"

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:08 am UTC

?
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

geirskogul

Postby geirskogul » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:23 am UTC

I don't get it.

phsyron

Postby phsyron » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:24 am UTC

Anyone care to explain this comic?

tarry

Modern games

Postby tarry » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:26 am UTC

Yeah, i didn't get it either. As usual, google is your friend. Goog ingress and four-square.

Alex-J

Postby Alex-J » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:27 am UTC

I thought, somehow, he had gotten a house into orbit or outer space.
Though I'm still not sure...

Josephine

Postby Josephine » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:27 am UTC

The key word here is 'Ingress'. Go find out.
Belial wrote:Listen, what I'm saying is that he committed a felony with a zoo animal.

Arky

Postby Arky » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:28 am UTC

Ingress is apparently an ARG.

I guess the joke, such as it is, is that there's markers for the game on this guy's property and they want to go "check in" there or however the game is played.

This may be the most niche joke in the history of XKCD, which is saying something given all the obscure programming and maths jokes...
Veteran of the One True Thread. And now the Too True Thread?

Draco18s

Postby Draco18s » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:28 am UTC

Oh! I think I understand it. It took a moment and this will help.

I had to connect the dots, literally. 1) Ingress is that new Augmented Reality game by Google, and 2) the last picture is a drawing of what it looks like, which I only managed to piece together because I'd played a different Augmented Reality game, which had semi-similar visuals.

Edit: Ninja'd twice in posting.

samwyse

Postby samwyse » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:30 am UTC

Try correlating the alt-text with https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ct.ingress.

Ingress is an Android AVR app that makes your world "more exciting". I'm going to guess that it uses a hash of your geographic location to decide what to add to the AVR environment, meaning that some people may live in very interesting locations.

madock345

Postby madock345 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:39 am UTC

If I knew someone whose house looked like that I would want to come over too...

/Off topic: has anyone asked about getting the link to the forums put back on the main page? It seems so much quieter around here to me since the link got replaced by the "What If" button.
"As the size of an Explosion increses the number of social situations it is incapable of resolving approches zero"
-Vaarsuvius, The Order of the Stick
Spoiler:
ethereal_fire wrote:madock345, I like your sig : )

Qwerty.55 wrote:I like your new recursive sig even better than before.

random5

Postby random5 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:33 am UTC

Well that explains it, I thought they all wanted to come and watch the Aurora Borealis at his place or something.

Jamaican Castle

Postby Jamaican Castle » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:49 am UTC

I, too, thought his house was in space, or on another planet, or maybe next to a growing Tiberium field (although that doesn't usually attract tourists...) or something equally bizarre.

As usually, the truth is less impressive. :(

Lukeonia1

Postby Lukeonia1 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:08 am UTC

Jamaican Castle wrote:next to a growing Tiberium field (although that doesn't usually attract tourists...)

This is what I thought as well... And it's probably bad that this comic is the first I've heard of this "Ingress" game.

Back under my rock I go?

dzanis

Postby dzanis » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:11 am UTC

After playing Ingress for a week, I have sympathy for these wanna-be-visitors. If i knew house with 4 portals in backyard, I would also visit this guy - good friend or not good.

imyourfoot

Postby imyourfoot » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:26 am UTC

Lukeonia1 wrote:
Jamaican Castle wrote:next to a growing Tiberium field (although that doesn't usually attract tourists...)

This is what I thought as well... And it's probably bad that this comic is the first I've heard of this "Ingress" game.

Back under my rock I go?

No, the rock is for people who have heard of it.

arthurd006_5

Postby arthurd006_5 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:36 am UTC

Lukeonia1 wrote:... And it's probably bad that this comic is the first I've heard of this "Ingress" game.

Back under my rock I go?

Me too. I don't own an Android phone. Does anyone want to recommend one that's intended to be rootable and back-up-able?

Moleculor

Postby Moleculor » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:52 am UTC

As someone currently playing Ingress, I thought I'd pop by the forums to see what y'all were saying about the comic.

I hadn't realized that Ingress was such an unknown still.

I'm currently posting from my phone, so I don't know how in-depth I'll get about the game, and you'll undoubtedly see some autocorrect issues, but I'll try to give a breakdown of the game.

Google basically compiled a basic list of "interesting locations" throughout the world (they did a Google maps search for museums, art, libraries, architecture, fire stations and post offices) and made an Android game that displays "portals" in those locations.

There are two teams., separated by philosophy, and the goal is to capture these portals, upgrade them, and link them together. The farther apart portals are, the more they need to be upgraded to link. A trio of portals linked together forms a "field" over the area they encompass, scoring points for that team base on the population count of the area the field covers.

To link any portal, however, requires you to place down eight items at that portal that automatically space themselves out in the eight standard cardinal directions.

All of this capturing, upgrading, linking, and other interactions require you to be in physical proximity to the portal in question. (When linking you can only be in one place at a time, obviously, so portal keys from previously visited portals are used to pair up with the distant portal. They also give you a less efficient method of repairing damage to the portal done over time or by the enemy.)

The objects you place at portals (resonators) take up position at a distance that matches yours when you placed it down. Since they automatically set into a position in one of the eight cardinal directions, this results in some interesting situations. For example, say you have a sculpture's portal on a river bank. It's on the river's edge and you're 40 meters from it. You place down your eight resonators, which each appear 40 meters from the portal. Except the river is not of the portal, and 40 meters north of the portal is, essentially, the middle of the river.

For the enemy to take down a resonator (to convert it to their side) the best way to maximize damage to a resonator is to stand right on top of it when you fire off a burster. Something in the middle of a river, or off the edge of a cliff, or inside a fenced area, closed building, etc. will be difficult or impossible to stand on, requiring much more powerful bursters to take down.

And remember, this whole time Google is seeing where you are, and that you seem to be unable to get to that spot 40m to the north. So now they have great crowd source footpath availability data to work with.

The portals in the comic are green, indicating that they're owned by the Enlightened as opposed to the Resistance. The points of light are bits of energy needed to do anything in the game that seem to show up in locations where Google services are accessed frequently (Android owner's homes, bus stops, cell phone stores, stop lights).

The folks in the comic just want easy access to the resonators that are undoubtedly in his house, so they can convert the portals to their side.

Then there's the whole cryptography puzzle game going on at a website I can't post because the forum flags it as spam.

And Google is accepting people's submissions for addition points of interest, since their list is incomplete. But you have to be in the beta first.

Lunch break is over, time for me to go back to work. After work I'll be driving out to capture six or seven portals that seem to have been missed by the opposition in my town, and maybe convert a few of theirs as well.

Paulmichael

Postby Paulmichael » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:52 am UTC

Surprised I got that last panel before reading the title-text, because although I finally got an invite to the game I haven't made it past the tutorials yet...Just don't have the time! Oh, I have another invite if anyone wants one...

elcheeserpuff

Postby elcheeserpuff » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:58 am UTC

So, I realize this is kind of a pointless attempt, but is there anyone out there who can send me an Ingress activation code (Just private message me)? I'll be whatever faction you want me to be. You'll literally be recruiting me!

~elcheeserpuff

webbie258

Postby webbie258 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:10 am UTC

If anyone has an extra invite I'd love to have one too. I've been trying to get an invite to this game for a while.

Editer

Postby Editer » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:11 am UTC

Lukeonia1 wrote:And it's probably bad that this comic is the first I've heard of this "Ingress" game.

First I've heard too, but it's a fairly new game, only announced a few week ago, and still in closed beta. As someone said, this is such a tiny niche who would get the joke without research -- although I suppose the bemusement of the home owners is part of the point, so this comic wouldn't work if more people knew about the game. I guess Randall was aiming for the sweet spot where rabid game nerds and clueless normals coexist.
These days, if you don't have ADD, you not paying close enough attention. -- J.P. Barlow

gzero

Postby gzero » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:11 am UTC

If anybody wants an invite to Ingress, I may have a few. Send me a PM with the email address you'd like to get an invite for, and I'll send them out as long as they last.

Edit: I am out of invites. I had to sleep, and woke up to a metric ton of requests.
Last edited by gzero on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:17 pm UTC, edited 1 time in total.

Antior

Postby Antior » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:25 am UTC

madock345 wrote:/Off topic: has anyone asked about getting the link to the forums put back on the main page? It seems so much quieter around here to me since the link got replaced by the "What If" button.
Probably, but it can't hurt to repeat it. It's really annoying to not be able to get to the forums right from the comic. There's place for a 6th item in the menu, right?

As for the game and people asking for invites, while I don't have the right type of phone and can't join, I understand from some people on IRC that if you just request an invite at ingress.com you usually get it within a few hours. Might be a good idea to try that first?

TimXCampbell

Postby TimXCampbell » Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:57 am UTC

Lukeonia1 wrote:... it's probably bad that this comic is the first I've heard of this "Ingress" game. ...

It was the first time I'd heard of it, too, but I don't feel bad about it. Here's why:

When I was a kid (back in the late 50's, early 60's) a really new thing would be introduced every year or two. In 1963, for example, I remember being really, really impressed that somebody had invented a jet airplane that could take up straight up. Wow! That was the prototype that led to the Harrier “jump jet.”

The next “new thing” that really impressed me was the Beatles. There was a lull of a few years, during which nothing utterly amazed me. Then I saw pictures of Earth taken by the first Apollo spacecraft to loop around the moon.

Nowadays it's like there's a really new thing every month or so. Personal computers and the internet have vastly increased our rate of innovation.

Can you imagine somebody being beamed from 1957 (on October 2nd, say, two days before Sputnik was launched) to today, and hearing somebody saying, “I'll text you when ready, then you can tweet the other geocachers!”

Now imagine that you or I got beamed to October 2nd, 2067. Do you think we'd be a tad confused?

vintermann

Postby vintermann » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:09 am UTC

Antior wrote:As for the game and people asking for invites, while I don't have the right type of phone and can't join, I understand from some people on IRC that if you just request an invite at ingress.com you usually get it within a few hours. Might be a good idea to try that first?

No, it's not that easy... I still haven't gotten a code from submitting my mail address there. Things that work are

* Creating original (as in, really original, not just made by you personally) artwork and showing it to the Niantic Labs people on Google plus. Keep trying. Share it on reddit.com/r/ingress too - sometimes people who got in from a contest share their regular invite code when it comes around, that's how I got in.

* Answering trivia questions in the #ingressinvite channel on IRC (irc.irchighway.net). There are two per day, and the questions are from the official narrative at nianticproject.com. Getting to know the convoluted, paranoid story well enough to earn one of these would be hard, on the other hand I guess people who do it get their invites and move on, so competition decreases.

* Just follow the Niantic stuff on Google+ and be super-quick if they post a contest.

* According to Niantic, you can also get an invite by submitting quality geotagged pictures for new portal locations. If you install the Ingress app you get a "share" option in Android called NIA super ops which you can use for the purpose. I've never heard of anyone actually getting an invite this way (and I haven't found a single portal that was added from suggestion - I think they're a bit overwhelmed) so this is more if you really like photographing landmarks anyway.

Getting an access code/invite should really be considered mission #0 in this game. It requires either luck, skill or patience, or most likely all three.

Danno81

Postby Danno81 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:15 am UTC

I have a new personal rule: Anyone who, in the context of any discussion, says “Google is your friend” or “If you Google it you’ll know”, etc can go to hell. If you stop talking about anything you can find with a Google search there’s little point in communicating with each other. Talking about things, even things you can find out easily, is a rich and engaging experience for most people. Talking to one another, finding something out from a person rather than a search engine can be far more rewarding. If we stopped discussing everything we can Google we’d just end up asking each other how you’re feeling today and do you like my lame excuse for a thought experiment.

Don’t Google, discuss, even if you can Google. Don’t lose touch with each other or stop asking questions just because someone wants to sound like a smart ass!

There are caveats of course. It would be silly to ask something along the lines of how to insert an image into an HTML page when it’s on every corner of the net, and other basic tech questions.

gzero

Postby gzero » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:17 am UTC

vintermann wrote:
Antior wrote:As for the game and people asking for invites, while I don't have the right type of phone and can't join, I understand from some people on IRC that if you just request an invite at ingress.com you usually get it within a few hours. Might be a good idea to try that first?

No, it's not that easy... I still haven't gotten a code from submitting my mail address there. Things that work are

* Creating original (as in, really original, not just made by you personally) artwork and showing it to the Niantic Labs people on Google plus. Keep trying. Share it on reddit.com/r/ingress too - sometimes people who got in from a contest share their regular invite code when it comes around, that's how I got in.

* Answering trivia questions in the #ingressinvite channel on IRC (irc.irchighway.net). There are two per day, and the questions are from the official narrative at nianticproject.com. Getting to know the convoluted, paranoid story well enough to earn one of these would be hard, on the other hand I guess people who do it get their invites and move on, so competition decreases.

* Just follow the Niantic stuff on Google+ and be super-quick if they post a contest.

* According to Niantic, you can also get an invite by submitting quality geotagged pictures for new portal locations. If you install the Ingress app you get a "share" option in Android called NIA super ops which you can use for the purpose. I've never heard of anyone actually getting an invite this way (and I haven't found a single portal that was added from suggestion - I think they're a bit overwhelmed) so this is more if you really like photographing landmarks anyway.

Getting an access code/invite should really be considered mission #0 in this game. It requires either luck, skill or patience, or most likely all three.

Re: luck - anyone reading this have it. Still got a few more invites, and a few more minutes to hand them out. Send a PM with your email address. (And join the Enlightenment, obviously.)

Edit: I am out of invites. I had to sleep, and woke up to a metric ton of requests.
Last edited by gzero on Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:17 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

vintermann

Postby vintermann » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:24 am UTC

gzero wrote:Re: luck - anyone reading this have it. Still got a few more invites, and a few more minutes to hand them out. Send a PM with your email address. (And join the Enlightenment, obviously.)

How did you come across them? There are a lot of people claiming to have codes, multiple even, without saying how they got the,. At least one (the "Ingress (#Ingress)" account on Google+) I'm pretty sure is a scam.

But yes, do join the Enlightenment ;)

Royal2000H

Postby Royal2000H » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:57 am UTC

vintermann wrote:
gzero wrote:Re: luck - anyone reading this have it. Still got a few more invites, and a few more minutes to hand them out. Send a PM with your email address. (And join the Enlightenment, obviously.)

How did you come across them? There are a lot of people claiming to have codes, multiple even, without saying how they got the,. At least one (the "Ingress (#Ingress)" account on Google+) I'm pretty sure is a scam.

But yes, do join the Enlightenment ;)

The ingress postings / account on Google+ are actually legit. People are submitting ingress/niantic artwork in order to get invites by what seems to be 4 people who work at Niantic.

Condor70

Postby Condor70 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:23 am UTC

arthurd006_5 wrote:I don't own an Android phone. Does anyone want to recommend one that's intended to be rootable and back-up-able?

I've played around with several Android phones and rooting and custom firmwares were always a hassle.

I finally ended up buying a Galaxy Nexus, because rooting is allowed (and easy) and you get the latest Android software directly from Google.

ps. I would recommend a Nexus 4 over a Galaxy Nexus, but it isn't available yet in my country.

peewee_RotA

Postby peewee_RotA » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:28 pm UTC

I'm guessing that people here that don't get it are just not Google+ regulars. It's an endless stream of people advertising the game by asking for invites. It's also a clever marketing ploy for android as it's not (yet) available on iphone. I can't remember if google is developing it or just has some sort of exclusive deal at the moment. Either way that's it's main purpose at the moment.

XKCD deals with obscure games all the time. I'm taken back to the 4th dimensional game

Please tell me that's much more obscure than a viral Google advertisement.
"Vowels have trouble getting married in Canada. They can’t pronounce their O’s."

http://timelesstherpg.wordpress.com/about/

Royal2000H

Postby Royal2000H » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:25 pm UTC

Google owns Niantic Labs, which developed the app, "Field Trip", and the game, Ingress.
I remember reading something about how it was a Google exec that wanted to leave Google and start his own company (Niantic), but then he was convinced to stay and start it within the company.

yawningdog

Postby yawningdog » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:38 pm UTC

I read about ingress a few weeks ago. Applied for and invite, still haven't received one. It's a shame since I live in Richmond Va. and we have TONS of civil war monuments here.

I still don't get the comic.

I have a new personal rule: Anyone who, in the context of any discussion, says “Google is your friend” or “If you Google it you’ll know”, etc can go to hell. If you stop talking about anything you can find with a Google search there’s little point in communicating with each other. Talking about things, even things you can find out easily, is a rich and engaging experience for most people. Talking to one another, finding something out from a person rather than a search engine can be far more rewarding. If we stopped discussing everything we can Google we’d just end up asking each other how you’re feeling today and do you like my lame excuse for a thought experiment.

Don’t Google, discuss, even if you can Google. Don’t lose touch with each other or stop asking questions just because someone wants to sound like a smart ass!

There are caveats of course. It would be silly to ask something along the lines of how to insert an image into an HTML page when it’s on every corner of the net, and other basic tech questions.

Dude, this post scratches me right where I itch. Great work, and amen.
"I fear not the man who has practiced ten thousand kicks once. But I fear the man who has practiced one kick ten thousand times."
- Bruce Lee

adanedhel728

Postby adanedhel728 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:50 pm UTC

Shows what I know. I thought his house was next to a Tiberium field.

rmsgrey

Postby rmsgrey » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:04 pm UTC

yawningdog wrote:I still don't get the comic.

Imagine the guy's house has the fountain of immortality in the back yard, without him knowing about it, but with the people looking to invite themselves round knowing all about it. Does that make it any clearer?

The background information is that Ingress is a "game" where you get rewarded in some way for visiting certain physical locations (actually, you only need your phone to visit them, though you may need to have someone interact with it while it's there) and those locations are marked (for those that can see the overlaid computer graphics) by something like the last panel.

Moleculor

Postby Moleculor » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:10 pm UTC

Apparently new users posts have to be approved, and then it appears where you submitted the post, not where the mod approved it, so many of you may not have seen my post above. I'd link to it, but the very-zealous spam filter won't let me link to a post on this thread.

cynicalbastard

Postby cynicalbastard » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:19 pm UTC

/Off topic: has anyone asked about getting the link to the forums put back on the main page? It seems so much quieter around here to me since the link got replaced by the "What If" button.

No and i like it this way, the quality has gone up again. Didn't read the forums for a year or two as they were full of insipid vanity-posts. (like this - my own elitist crap)
Poo-tee-weet?

Klear

Postby Klear » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:49 pm UTC

peewee_RotA wrote:I'm guessing that people here that don't get it are just not Google+ regulars. It's an endless stream of people advertising the game by asking for invites. It's also a clever marketing ploy for android as it's not (yet) available on iphone. I can't remember if google is developing it or just has some sort of exclusive deal at the moment. Either way that's it's main purpose at the moment.

XKCD deals with obscure games all the time. I'm taken back to the 4th dimensional game

Please tell me that's much more obscure than a viral Google advertisement.

Well, that comic explains everything. The key to understanding the current one is hidden in the alt-text and you still have to google it if you are not familiar with it. Not to mention that googling "ingress foursquare" doesn't yield anything useful, except explainxkcd.com.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”