1161: "Hand Sanitizer"

This forum is for the individual discussion thread that goes with each new comic.

Moderators: Moderators General, Prelates, Magistrates

speising

Re: 1161 Hand Sanitizer

Postby speising » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:09 pm UTC

What's all that about soap anyway? I wouldn't think that washing with ordinary soap is really more efficient in removal of pathogens than water alone.
Soap just removes oily dirt.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:23 pm UTC

You, sir, name? wrote:Wtf. Just wash your hands with soap and water. If you're not doing surgery, that's enough.

Oddly, the extreme washing that surgeons used to favor (10 minutes) actually breaks up the skin, allowing bacteria to colonize the damaged areas. Now the rule is usually two minutes scrub.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

bmonk
Location: Schitzoed in the OTT between the 2100s and the late 900s. Hoping for singularity.

Postby bmonk » Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:30 pm UTC

speising wrote:What's all that about soap anyway? I wouldn't think that washing with ordinary soap is really more efficient in removal of pathogens than water alone.
Soap just removes oily dirt.

Soap is also basic, pH 7-10, so that it should have some effect on bacteria. One thing that makes bacteria so hard to attack is the biofilms they produce; soap should help remove the film. Scrub soaps also include an antimicrobial component, so that the bacteria will not reproduce so quickly after washing.
Having become a Wizard on n.p. 2183, the Yellow Piggy retroactively appointed his honorable self a Temporal Wizardly Piggy on n.p.1488, not to be effective until n.p. 2183, thereby avoiding a partial temporal paradox. Since he couldn't afford two philosophical PhDs to rule on the title.

Davidy

Postby Davidy » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:28 am UTC

I think that you who are calculating the number of remaining germs are missing one detail of the comic. To calculate ultimate hand cleanliness after killing 99.99% of 200,000,000 germs is missing the point made in the comic that the number represents the number of germs in One Sneeze Droplet. From what I've seen, each sneeze can contain thousands, if not tens or hundreds of thousands of germ containing droplets.
"It's only funny until someone loses an eye, then it's still funny but they can only see it in 2-D."

shvedsky

Postby shvedsky » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:50 am UTC

I wonder, will I get fired after posting this comic near every hand sanitizer in the cafe at work--for subverting public health?

Edit: oh no, I won't. There is a simple countermeasure for such a case: post a sign "To leave less than one germ, just apply the gel three times." :D

Quicksilver

Postby Quicksilver » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:05 am UTC

shvedsky wrote:I wonder, will I get fired after posting this comic near every hand sanitizer in the cafe at work--for subverting public health?

Edit: oh no, I won't. There is a simple countermeasure for such a case: post a sign "To leave less than one germ, just apply the gel three times." :D
Do it. Everyone should have an XKCD somewhere in their workplace.

obarey

Postby obarey » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:07 am UTC

ijuin wrote:Also, plain old epidermis vulgaris, the most common skin bacterium on clean, healthy human skin, may cause the occasional pimple, but they are also our "guard dogs" against the more dangerous invaders--they do NOT like to share their habitat with outsiders and will try to kick them out before they can get under our skin. It's the invaders that get past these guard bacteria that our actual immune system has to deal with. Without these guards, we would have to fight all invading microbes ourselves, which is part of why kids raised in overly-sterile environments have immune problems.

Can you point to a source about this, very interesting. Google's first page of results are not relevant.

ijuin

Postby ijuin » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:20 am UTC

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skin_flora

Here is Wikipedia's article about skin bacteria and their relationship to us.

gmalivuk
GNU Terry Pratchett

Postby gmalivuk » Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:47 pm UTC

speising wrote:Soap just removes oily dirt.
Right, which water doesn't do very well. Hence, soap.
Unless stated otherwise, I do not care whether a statement, by itself, constitutes a persuasive political argument. I care whether it's true.
---
If this post has math that doesn't work for you, use TeX the World for Firefox or Chrome

(he/him/his)

addams

Postby addams » Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:16 pm UTC

Oh, Dear God;
The History of soap.
How do we make soap?
Ashes and Fat. Thank God we do not 'have to' reinvent soap.
How dirty is that?
Funny stuff. Mud People.
We can only imagine. The stone age. Is soap older than mankind?
Surfactants are.
I digress. Germs!!
The ever present enemy.

gmalivuk wrote:
speising wrote:Soap just removes oily dirt.
Right, which water doesn't do very well. Hence, soap.
Life is, just, an exchange of electrons; It is up to us to give it meaning.

We are all in The Gutter.
Some of us see The Gutter.
Some of us see The Stars.
by mr. Oscar Wilde.

Those that want to Know; Know.
Those that do not Know; Don't tell them.
They do terrible things to people that Tell Them.

Return to “Individual XKCD Comic Threads”