Why do you discuss/argue?

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

User avatar
Insignificant Deifaction
Small Goddess
Posts: 3729
Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:14 am UTC
Location: Through the mother@#$%ing looking glass.

Postby Insignificant Deifaction » Sat Sep 01, 2007 8:37 am UTC

For the joy of insight, unfortunately, the fruit of reason has been sparse these past years, with only one person in real life whom can bear the fruit, and not finding many opportunities of its nature on the internet.

...Curiousity.
Belial wrote:You are giving me the tools to sodomize my vast imagination, and for this I am grateful.

PM Me, if you care for a chat.

User avatar
Aluminum Falcom
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:27 pm UTC

Postby Aluminum Falcom » Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:37 am UTC

to flex my intellectual superiority and hopefully anger/offend people. Most of the time, my goal is purely to antagonize. It's almost pure masturbation.

Alot of times, too, I just want to take my stress and anger out on forum people by being needlessly rude and as vile and mean as possible.

I figure more people feel the same as me, but just don't admit it.
"What the Hell is an Aluminum Falcom?!"

User avatar
yy2bggggs
Posts: 1261
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:42 am UTC

Postby yy2bggggs » Sun Sep 02, 2007 5:30 am UTC

Aluminum Falcom wrote:I figure more people feel the same as me, but just don't admit it.

So let's suppose they don't admit such, and they aren't like that. How would you find out?

Lester :P
Posts: 129
Joined: Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:04 pm UTC
Contact:

Postby Lester :P » Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:33 am UTC

I like to, it's enjoyable. Sometimes because I really believe, sometimes cause it's useful to play devils advocate.

I wish I could split myself into and argue against myself.

One thing I want to make clear, there is never any malice, I actually dislike people who avoid confrontation, to me it seems very low.
`When I use a word it means just what I choose it to mean-Neither more nor less.'
`The question is whether you can make words mean so many different things.'
`The question is,'said he,`Which is to be master-That id all.'

User avatar
Aluminum Falcom
Posts: 123
Joined: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:27 pm UTC

Postby Aluminum Falcom » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:55 pm UTC

yy2bggggs wrote:
Aluminum Falcom wrote:I figure more people feel the same as me, but just don't admit it.

So let's suppose they don't admit such, and they aren't like that. How would you find out?


by spending more than 5 minutes reading these forums.
"What the Hell is an Aluminum Falcom?!"

User avatar
Peshmerga
Mad Hatter
Posts: 2061
Joined: Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:56 am UTC
Contact:

Postby Peshmerga » Sun Sep 02, 2007 2:57 pm UTC

Boredom
i hurd u liek mudkips???

User avatar
Marlo
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:39 pm UTC
Location: Hawaii
Contact:

Postby Marlo » Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:29 am UTC

I argue so that if my beliefs are put to the test in a context that could have dire consequences for failure, I'm prepared. For example, if I have an argument on a Web forum like this, and I lose, no big deal. I'll know why I lost and can adjust my beliefs accordingly. If I instead had that argument at a university debate or something, I would lose and be humiliated in front of a lot more people that will know my face and name. And that would suck so much more.

Basically, I can be wrong, and I don't want to be wrong at the wrong times.
http://www.poorboycomic.com
Updated every fortnight

jmce
.
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:26 am UTC

Re: Why do you discuss/argue?

Postby jmce » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:23 am UTC

I often find myself playing devil's advocate without really meaning to, or even if I agree in general with the other person's opinion, just because I find it irritating that ey refuse to recognise any other point of view.
chaosspawn wrote:...a computer screen still can't hug you.

User avatar
Biskitty
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:01 pm UTC

Re:

Postby Biskitty » Wed Nov 07, 2007 7:48 pm UTC

Strilanc wrote:Arguing well is finding that fine balance between learning and winning.

Ideally, you only win when you're right.



I couldn't have said it better.

HOWEVER... I'm going to try to add to that. I think ego is also involved. Obviously. The sense of being 'in the right' can bolster you fantastically. But that's not to say I am an argumentative person. Sometimes I think I debate because I don't know what I truly think about a subject until I have someone else around to bounce of off. It helps everything become clearer and more rational (so long as it isn't a personal argument anyway!).

I like to think of it like writing songs. One person alone with a guitar will create something wholly different to that which would have been if a whole band of players all inputting their ideas and backgrounds were involved. Hopefully, the spread of different people from differing backgrounds will create something much more intriguing than the one person alone could have with just their own mind and creativity to work from.
Become who you are.

jmce
.
Posts: 162
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:26 am UTC

Re: Why do you discuss/argue?

Postby jmce » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:40 am UTC

Having someone with whom you can have a real debate is a great privilege. I have a friend like that, but I also know lots of people with whom it is impossible to hold a real debate because they will never admit that their opinions might be wrong. People like that really annoy me: people who respond to any challenge of their opinions with ostentatious displays of affront rather than actually giving any thought to your argument.

P.s. I love your avatar ;-)
chaosspawn wrote:...a computer screen still can't hug you.

User avatar
Pai
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:27 pm UTC
Location: Washington State
Contact:

Re: Why do you discuss/argue?

Postby Pai » Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:33 am UTC

yelly wrote:But recently, I have started actually giving getting convinced by the other guy a shot, and I actually usually find that really interesting, because some really good arguments have actually changed my view on things.
So, to give this all a try, how about everyone give their perspective on the matter and we can have a good argument about argueing!


I want to know the truth. I figure the only way to find that out is to hear as much as I can, and find out where I'm wrong or right.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

User avatar
clockworkmonk
I'm on a horse!
Posts: 649
Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:53 am UTC
Location: Austin

Re: Why do you discuss/argue?

Postby clockworkmonk » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:38 am UTC

It depends entirely on the subject at hand. At times its to prove someone is clearly wrong(eg. claiming .999..... != 1) to simply correct their mistake. Other times its to defend a position, for the sake of argument, such as alignment in D&D, or when someone tries to convert me to their religion. While those I do lightly, if the topic is one I have strong feelings for,(such as education, healthcare, and finance for such things) I argue to ultimately spread my beliefs.
418 I'm a teapot

User avatar
Biskitty
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:01 pm UTC

Re: Why do you discuss/argue?

Postby Biskitty » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:09 pm UTC

jmce wrote:
P.s. I love your avatar ;-)


I'll leave it to you in my will ;)
Become who you are.

nick
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:01 am UTC

Re: Why do you discuss/argue?

Postby nick » Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:40 am UTC

1. So that we (including me) might come to a greater understanding which might lead to a better world.

(Haha.)

2. Ego.


(I used to spend a lot of time discussing things on the internet even though I realized that for the most part and on the most forums it is futile. Fortunately I don't have the time anymore, it is hard to resist and I tell myself I should have better things to do. So why was I typing this?)

User avatar
Pai
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:27 pm UTC
Location: Washington State
Contact:

Re: Why do you discuss/argue?

Postby Pai » Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:40 am UTC

nick wrote:(I used to spend a lot of time discussing things on the internet even though I realized that for the most part and on the most forums it is futile. Fortunately I don't have the time anymore, it is hard to resist and I tell myself I should have better things to do. So why was I typing this?)


I dunno, I always found the mental exercise to be kind of fun. I think that alone makes it worthwhile in its own right. =)
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire

User avatar
aleflamedyud
wants your cookies
Posts: 3307
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:50 pm UTC
Location: The Central Bureaucracy

Re: Why do you discuss/argue?

Postby aleflamedyud » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:29 am UTC

I argue things because people's reactions are hilarious.

After all, it's not like I'm ever going to have enough real power to put any of my opinions into force.
"With kindness comes naïveté. Courage becomes foolhardiness. And dedication has no reward. If you can't accept any of that, you are not fit to be a graduate student."

User avatar
Pai
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:27 pm UTC
Location: Washington State
Contact:

Re: Why do you discuss/argue?

Postby Pai » Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:35 am UTC

aleflamedyud wrote:I argue things because people's reactions are hilarious.


Legitimate discussions rarely have one side starting a discussion for the sole purpose of laughing at the violent reactions of the other side to their opinions. If that's happening consistently, then it seems you're not interested in actually exchanging ideas, you're just yanking people's chains for your own amusement.

In other words, you're a troll. I'll keep that in mind from now on.
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." ~Voltaire


Return to “Serious Business”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests