Social Justice: Noble goal?

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

CorruptUser

Re: Social Justice: Noble goal?

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:27 pm UTC

You are judged by what others see. Are all anti abortionists nutjobs that burn down clinics? No, but if those nutjobs make the news while the saner people condemning them do not, well, guess what? Are all animal welfare proponents PETA dimwits? Are all second amendment advocates crazy gun nuts that point sniper rifles at police?

All groups have nutters. If the condemnation of your own nutters is weaker than the actions of your nutters, well, sorry.

#NotAllBLM
#YesAllSanders
#Idontknowhowhashtagsworksinceidonttweet

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:06 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:This usage isn't at all typical. It pops up in other contexts a lot, but other insults and perjoratives are normal in the gun debate. Calling them "gun banners" or "gun grabbers", or rolling through a list of liberal epithets(if you're in a particularly uncivil/right wing venue) is normal, but meaniehead would be an odd choice.
Guess we've had different experiences. I'm from Chicago - every time I've suggested any measure of gun control to my relatives talking about how horrible the gun violence is they call me an meaniehead.

Might be just your relatives, then. It's not a thing on the national level, and not at the state level in any of the several I've been active in.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:17 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:This usage isn't at all typical. It pops up in other contexts a lot, but other insults and perjoratives are normal in the gun debate. Calling them "gun banners" or "gun grabbers", or rolling through a list of liberal epithets(if you're in a particularly uncivil/right wing venue) is normal, but meaniehead would be an odd choice.
Guess we've had different experiences. I'm from Chicago - every time I've suggested any measure of gun control to my relatives talking about how horrible the gun violence is they call me an meaniehead.

Might be just your relatives, then. It's not a thing on the national level, and not at the state level in any of the several I've been active in.
Yes... That was my point? that we've had different experiences? And that people do actually factually attribute gun regulation with 'meanieheads' as a negativism.

CorruptUser wrote:You are judged by what others see. Are all anti abortionists nutjobs that burn down clinics? No, but if those nutjobs make the news while the saner people condemning them do not, well, guess what? Are all animal welfare proponents PETA dimwits? Are all second amendment advocates crazy gun nuts that point sniper rifles at police?
I'm not sure if you're trolling - obviously the difference here is that no one see's PETA and says #FuckTheAnimals

CorruptUser wrote:#Idontknowhowhashtagsworksinceidonttweet
Yes, that is obvious, because I'm not remotely sure what you're getting at with the other two.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:26 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Yes... That was my point? that we've had different experiences? And that people do actually factually attribute gun regulation with 'meanieheads' as a negativism.

Your personal family may not be a very good metric for measuring social behavior.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:28 pm UTC

Can you do me a favor and google 'meaniehead gun law' and tell me if nothing comes up. I'll wait.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:30 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Can you do me a favor and google 'meaniehead gun law' and tell me if nothing comes up. I'll wait.

Google auto-fil didn't suggest it at any point, and the first hit is the huffington post.

Clearly a bastion of gun rights, I'm sure.

A bunch of other hits appear to be responses to this, which appear to be centered around the use of 'mansplaining' by someone. I'm too bored to pursue this further, but I'm guessing you didn't actually do this before suggesting it.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:36 pm UTC

Around 'this'?

Do you mean like... the multitude of hits that are various blogs and small scale media outlets using the term 'liberal thought police' or 'meaniehead pussy'? Maybe try just 'meaniehead gun'? I mean, there's no way you're not seeing the term pop up.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:48 pm UTC

You will, with enough effort, find hits for damned near anything *somewhere* in the depths of google.

That doesn't mean a great deal about common usage.

The fact that you can only find it in obscure sources and it's dominated by results that are not about the thing at all indicate the opposite.

You're going to get some incidental correlation in that pro-gun people are on the right, and your meaniehead sorts are going to be on the left, but that doesn't make it significant or important.

Get me a quote of the NRA or something using the term, and then you actually have a case for it being in mainstream usage.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:54 pm UTC

page count on these searchs. meaniehead gun 405,000 meaniehead 11,800,000

The WA PO "Why ‘social justice warrior,’ a Gamergate insult, is now a dictionary entry"

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:01 pm UTC

The hashtag joke was a reference to the sexism issue a while back. Not all men are sexist pigs that harass women, but all women have been sexually harassed or worse. As a guy, I've only been molested once this year (in an elevator; eat your heart out Sarkesian!), but it relatively minor and nothing compared to what my suspect and aunt have had.

Not all BLM members are self absorbed twats that interrupt Bernie Sanders and so forth, but the people they harass are far more numerous than themselves.

And as for meaniehead in general, I've had dealings with those types long before the Quinnspiracy or the term meaniehead. This is XKCD. Remember the Maps comic, 977? Can't link, on phone. Very last map was advocated by people I'd call meaniehead. Sure, chances are if you are speaking to someone railing on about meaniehead, they are the asshat, but that doesn't excuse the asshats who perform their asshattery in the name of social justice.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:14 pm UTC

So far, meaniehead has been aimed mostly at the left.

It seems somehow fair to aim it at the right in some cases. If you're crying about Starbucks cups or something...yeah. That's fair game.

Granted, the people actually squawking about such things are also a tiny minority, as ya'll point out, but...they're obnoxious in pushing their silly desired standards. Same sort of general backlash exists towards such stupidity.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:20 pm UTC

You do realize that virtually no one was upset about the cups, right? That was almost entirely a fabricated story by the media. Sort of like the Anita Sarkeesian elevator incident. "Hey, I was hit on in an elevator, guys, that's creepy don't do it" somehow was reported as "Oh me yarm HALP SONE GUY CHATTED WITH ME ON AN ELEVATOR HALP RAPE RAPE!!!".

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:39 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:You do realize that virtually no one was upset about the cups, right? That was almost entirely a fabricated story by the media. Sort of like the Anita Sarkeesian elevator incident. "Hey, I was hit on in an elevator, guys, that's creepy don't do it" somehow was reported as "Oh me yarm HALP SONE GUY CHATTED WITH ME ON AN ELEVATOR HALP RAPE RAPE!!!".

Like I said, "tiny minority". To some degree, the whole outrage and resulting outrage backlash is an instant communication/social media thing. The news reports twitter feeds as news, and thus, anyone with a bunch of followers can open their face about something stupid, and the same cycle plays out.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:52 pm UTC

We need a way to refer to the left wing crazies without using something the far more numerous right wing crazies use. Moonbat would work, but it also comes with baggage.

Wait, is there a difference between meaniehead and moonbats? Or are meaniehead a subset of moonbats?

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:54 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:obviously the difference here is that no one see's PETA and says #FuckTheAnimals

*Like*
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:01 pm UTC

Yknow, that hashtag probably exists, but I ain't gonna google it.

Copper Bezel

Postby Copper Bezel » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:41 pm UTC

It actually looks to be mostly #firstwordproblems but with pets and occasional struggling vegetarians, and then the occasional PETA bash, yeah....
So much depends upon a red wheel barrow (>= XXII) but it is not going to be installed.

she / her / her

Cradarc

Postby Cradarc » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:20 am UTC

In my experience, a majority of the people in "popular" social justice movements don't actually know what they are fighting for themselves. They hear something in the media, or from family and friends, and decided to join the cause (whatever that means) because they feel it is the right thing to do. There's nothing wrong with that, and it's probably better than being an armchair critic, but people need to stay open to new information and reevaluating their attitudes.

At least in the U.S, millennials have been brought up on a healthy diet of idealism and the notion of "making an impact on the world" and "not being complacent". We feel with enough passion and energy, any problem can be solved. The truth is, there are some issues that are simply too embedded into our culture and society to be changed at whim. So people scream louder and push harder, hoping it would expedite things. This zeal attracts the attention of the mass media and an opposition naturally arises. Unfortunately, this is when things go bad.
Once people start seeing a significant opposition, the issue becomes more about proving who's right rather than solving the problem. Because progress is slow, people become more inclined to taking down naysayers than they are at bringing more people and more ideas to the table. After all, it's easier and offers a greater sense of accomplishment. What people don't understand is that opposition actually grows stronger the more viciously they are attacked. They formed as a reactionary group, so making them more defensive only strengthens their resolve. This feedback loop eventually transforms a social movement into a social war. Nothing good comes out of war, regardless how noble the initial motivation was.

I think the true advocates for social justice are those that don't make the headlines, at least not very often. They spent their time influencing the community around them in positive ways. They encourage trust and cooperation among like-minded people rather than passion and anger. They fight aggressively for policies while respecting the opposition's ability to do the same. They do not engage in petty squabbles with trolls online. They know what they are working towards.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit.

Felstaff
Occam's Taser

Postby Felstaff » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:17 pm UTC

Copper Bezel wrote:#firstwordproblems

Trouble saying "mommy"?

Ah, shit, this is SeriousBusiness. Better contribute to this debate better than some of the schmucks in here. Social Justice Warrior was popularised, by the harpyesque cultural screeching angsters of GamerGate, as an ultimately negative aim; to paint everyone against perceived oppression as a neck-beardin' fedora-tippin' misogyny-dragon-slayin' White Knight In Shining Armour armed with a veritable arsenal of slacktivist hashtags and MTN Dew, and to an extent there's certainly quite a few of those around, although I'd daresay they make more than that old safe-term a significant minority, but I ultimately feel that meaniehead is an easily-reclaimable term, as it is generally morons who use it derogatively, like a cornered dog barking. It's an easy insult, intending to derail or silence one's critics--the way any ad hominem does--when one is at a loss to argue one's corner. I don't think I'd be easily offended if someone accused me of being a Warrior for Social Truth, Social Justice, and the Social American Way. It's like when someone accuses me of political correctness, I initially think they may have got the term confused with health and safety, but if they haven't, I simply think (or say) why is that a bad thing? Like the polio vaccine, political correctness has all-but eliminated horrendously offensive terms from social language, which in term has changed how we use language privately as well as publically, much like autocorrect changed how we write text messages in a relatively short space of time. Limiting the language of damage and problematic phrases is the first step to reordering social thinking towards a utopian inclusive playing field. Eight years ago, I probably wouldn't have shied away from saying something was "so gay" or "retarded", but as I was exposed to more and more social justice warriors with their privilege-checking ways, I realised that my very words perpetuate a damaging culture which was excluding people--real people--from spaces we all deserve to be part of (such as Internet). I was essentially punching down, which is the chief reason for explaining why shit comedians are shit. meanieheads want to eliminate social punching down, and whilst some are perceived to be behavioural police or doublespeak thinkpol, history has long taught us that unless you're Gandhi, polite dissent without resorting to controversial firebrand methods that some would find uncomfortable or distasteful never actually achieves anything.

Cradarc wrote:They do not engage in petty squabbles with trolls online.

Shirley this is the primary reason for Serious Business's very existence?
Away, you scullion! you rampallion! You fustilarian! I'll tickle your catastrophe.

leady

Postby leady » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:48 pm UTC

I think one issue is highlighted in your post - I can't tell whether your last paragraph is serious or mocking

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:18 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:meanieheads want to eliminate social punching down, and whilst some are perceived to be behavioural police or doublespeak thinkpol, history has long taught us that unless you're Gandhi, polite dissent without resorting to controversial firebrand methods that some would find uncomfortable or distasteful never actually achieves anything
Yeah, mostly true, but if you are going to pick fights, pick fights that mean something. Otherwise you look just like a privileged idiot, and risk being characterized as such.

CorruptUser

Postby CorruptUser » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:29 pm UTC

Meh, I only refer to something as "so gay" if there actually is a "gay" connection.

Like "Fascism", which derives its name from "fasces", a bundle of sticks (individuals are weak, group is strong), which the word "faggot" also comes from. Mussolini? Yuuup.
Last edited by CorruptUser on Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:36 pm UTC, edited 2 times in total.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:31 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
Felstaff wrote:meanieheads want to eliminate social punching down, and whilst some are perceived to be behavioural police or doublespeak thinkpol, history has long taught us that unless you're Gandhi, polite dissent without resorting to controversial firebrand methods that some would find uncomfortable or distasteful never actually achieves anything
Yeah, mostly true, but if you are going to pick fights, pick fights that mean something. Otherwise you look just like a privileged idiot, and risk being characterized as such.
I'm glad you're here to tell us what is and isn't a legitimate cause to advocate for!

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:57 pm UTC

I don't care what you advocate for. I can laugh at you if it suits me. And when I'm laughing, I'm not listening. So if you have a hissy at Yale because of Halloween costumes and all that went with it, I'm laughing, because this is Ivy league stupidity. On the other hand if you are challenging the use of a racist Presidents name at Princeton then I'll listen harder.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:10 pm UTC

And the problem is you've decided all meanieheads are rich kids at Yale.

Thought, I have to ask because of the way you phrased that - what do you think happened at Yale?

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:48 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:And the problem is you've decided all meanieheads are rich kids at Yale.

Thought, I have to ask because of the way you phrased that - what do you think happened at Yale?
I've decided that when a committee at Yale feels compelled to put out a missive about showing sensitivity about costumes at Halloween and then a faculty member suggests that perhaps students are big boys and girls and perhaps should be left to work it out on their own, and the drama ensues, then I will laugh. I'm sure other things at Yale happen that are more important, however they get drowned out.

I haven't decided anything, I only see what ends up on the News, and considering that I don't do any of the social media things that would expose me, that means that there is a high bar for getting my attention.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:19 pm UTC

What's sort of funny is that the 'drama' at Yale is something it sounds like you should be siding with - students were protesting what they felt were meaniehead's curbing their freedom of expression/speech. Isn't that what you're all about - nobody telling morriswalters what to do?

icanus

Postby icanus » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:31 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:What's sort of funny is that the 'drama' at Yale is something it sounds like you should be siding with - students were protesting what they felt were meaniehead's curbing their freedom of expression/speech. Isn't that what you're all about - nobody telling morriswalters what to do?

Wrong way around. They were protesting against the second letter, the one suggesting that the college shouldn't tell them what to wear.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:13 pm UTC

Cradarc wrote:At least in the U.S, millennials have been brought up on a healthy diet of idealism and the notion of "making an impact on the world" and "not being complacent". We feel with enough passion and energy, any problem can be solved.

This isn't entirely bad or wrong. However, protesting isn't necessarily the same as fixing something. I agree with what you're saying about factionalization but...over and above that, I think moving from talking to doing is generally wildly more productive. Sure, it's useful to talk about what to do to build a plan first, but after you've had the conversation, you generally need a "now, what do we DO?" bit.

Like, if someone's wearing an offensive costume, there are things you can do about that. It's not really an unfixable problem or anything. But instead, it seems to be a battle of words, where actual actions and fixes matter a great deal less than what side everyone is on.

Cradarc

Postby Cradarc » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:09 pm UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Like, if someone's wearing an offensive costume, there are things you can do about that. It's not really an unfixable problem or anything. But instead, it seems to be a battle of words, where actual actions and fixes matter a great deal less than what side everyone is on.

But it is an unfixable problem. That offensive costume isn't the real problem. The real problem is that people are not being culturally sensitive when choosing how to express themselves. Simply banning certain costumes isn't going to solve this problem. There must be a common framework of what is "going over the line" and what isn't. No amount of legislation can create this.

Felstaff wrote:Shirley this is the primary reason for Serious Business's very existence?

To some extent, yes. If it is evident that nobody is going to change their minds, there's nothing more to discuss. I think forums like xkcd SB is mainly for stimulating different ways of thinking instead of enforcing some sort of status quo. How well the community do that is debatable, of course. :P
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 300 character limit.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:42 pm UTC

Cradarc wrote:
Tyndmyr wrote:Like, if someone's wearing an offensive costume, there are things you can do about that. It's not really an unfixable problem or anything. But instead, it seems to be a battle of words, where actual actions and fixes matter a great deal less than what side everyone is on.

But it is an unfixable problem. That offensive costume isn't the real problem. The real problem is that people are not being culturally sensitive when choosing how to express themselves. Simply banning certain costumes isn't going to solve this problem. There must be a common framework of what is "going over the line" and what isn't. No amount of legislation can create this.

Well, you can talk to a particular person when they do something inappropriate.

That's not really the same as a pre-emptive banning, or whatever, but it seems unlikely that any amount of protesting will be effective at fixing that particular issue.

I wonder about this in other circumstances as well. Do people honestly believe that say, protesting abortion clinics will persuade people to think as they do? It seems as if they believe this. However, from a practical standpoint, this does not actually seem like a true belief. You'd think at a certain point a re-evaluation of strategy would be in order, as a lot of effort appears to be expended on protesting with little concrete to show for it.

At least, if you're looking at it as an issue to fix, rather than as a chance to display your colors.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:58 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:What's sort of funny is that the 'drama' at Yale is something it sounds like you should be siding with - students were protesting what they felt were meaniehead's curbing their freedom of expression/speech. Isn't that what you're all about - nobody telling morriswalters what to do?
My point here is of two parts. One is that the students should have been pushing not the school. The second is that some things, due to the limits of social capital, aren't worth pushing at all. Not everybody will make the same choices, but the administration should be listening, not talking.

Cradarc

Postby Cradarc » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:18 am UTC

Tyndmyr wrote:Well, you can talk to a particular person when they do something inappropriate.

That's not really the same as a pre-emptive banning, or whatever, but it seems unlikely that any amount of protesting will be effective at fixing that particular issue.

I wonder about this in other circumstances as well. Do people honestly believe that say, protesting abortion clinics will persuade people to think as they do? It seems as if they believe this. However, from a practical standpoint, this does not actually seem like a true belief. You'd think at a certain point a re-evaluation of strategy would be in order, as a lot of effort appears to be expended on protesting with little concrete to show for it.

Agreed. I also agree that abortion clinic protesters fall into the same class as the other, more "liberal" movements. Cultural insensitivity and getting an abortion are both legal, but the latter is generally more accepted than the former. This influences how much society is willing to sympathize.

Lazar
Landed Gentry

Postby Lazar » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:44 pm UTC

Felstaff wrote:meanieheads want to eliminate social punching down, and whilst some are perceived to be behavioural police or doublespeak thinkpol, history has long taught us that unless you're Gandhi, polite dissent without resorting to controversial firebrand methods that some would find uncomfortable or distasteful never actually achieves anything.

History has also taught us the controversial firebrand methods sometimes backfire and makes things worse, and that not everyone who professes to be on the side of nice things really is. When white college faculty harass and incite violence against a journalist of color in the name of anti-racism, that's not social justice. When LGBT and feminist societies endorse the actions of male religious reactionaries harassing a female human rights activist, that's not social justice.

I'm a proud leftist and have been since I developed a political consciousness, so I don't relish arguing this point. I dislike the term meaniehead because I think it's needlessly inflammatory – and all told, I'd say that I agree with the generalized group that you're talking about on about 90% of their goals and 70% of their methods. But all the same, I think you're failing to acknowledge that there is a problem with illiberalism, harassment and posturing on the left, and that not everyone who brings these issues up is a Gamergater or concern troll. Winkingly posting a South Park meme doesn't absolve our side from criticism. I know good people who feel disaffected from the left because of this stuff – and I don't want to see a right-wing backlash drag us back to the days of Reagan and Thatcher or worse.

Are problems with leftie student excesses of the same magnitude as systemic racism, misogyny, neoliberal greed and environmental destruction? No, they're not. I'm pretty sure Dante put a circle in hell for the drawers of false equivalences. But they are worth addressing, if only because they're bad for our side. It's wrong to say that those who claim to advocate for good – even those who do advocate for good – are above criticism for their conduct, and it's wrong to imply that because disruptive tactics are sometimes justified, they're always justified.
Exit the vampires' castle.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon Dec 07, 2015 4:12 pm UTC

Lazar wrote:I know good people who feel disaffected from the left because of this stuff – and I don't want to see a right-wing backlash drag us back to the days of Reagan and Thatcher or worse.

*looks at Trump*

I am so, so sorry.

cphite

Postby cphite » Mon Dec 07, 2015 8:40 pm UTC

Actually, you have that backwards. A committee of students had suggested that guidelines for socially acceptable Halloween costumes be created. What the students were actually protesting - and I have to admit, I find it hard to even type this without chuckling a bit - is that a faculty member suggested that students, as presumed adults, should trusted to decide for themselves what costumes to wear.

The students, in what seems like an effort to prove the faculty member wrong, went bonkers over the very suggestion.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:46 am UTC

It wasn't students I don't believe, here is the original missive from the The Intercultural Affairs Committee. And it is no longer funny to me.
In emails to Business Insider and the Washington Post, Erika Christakis said her decision to cancel her spring classes “comes in response to a campus climate at Yale not ‘conducive to the civil dialogue and open inquiry required to solve our urgent societal problems.’”

Erika’s husband, fellow professor and master Nicholas Christakis, also has called off his spring semester course load and instead will take a sabbatical.

PeteP
What the peck?

Postby PeteP » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:16 am UTC

cphite wrote:

Actually, you have that backwards. A committee of students had suggested that guidelines for socially acceptable Halloween costumes be created. What the students were actually protesting - and I have to admit, I find it hard to even type this without chuckling a bit - is that a faculty member suggested that students, as presumed adults, should trusted to decide for themselves what costumes to wear.

The students, in what seems like an effort to prove the faculty member wrong, went bonkers over the very suggestion.

Source? https://www.thefire.org/email-from-intercultural-affairs/ the initial email is a standard "please think about your costumes and try not to be offensive" without consequences.

Here an article about it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2015/11/05/a-confrontation-over-race-at-yale-hundreds-of-students-demand-answers-from-the-schools-first-black-dean/

leady

Postby leady » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:36 am UTC

Yup that email is absolutely the issue, hell it might as well be labelled "rightthink"

I fully expect that uni also suggests not wearing Che T-shirts on the basis that glorifying mass murderers is offensive to some people etc. No wait that never happens, its the wrong type of offensive.

K-R

Postby K-R » Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:02 pm UTC

CorruptUser wrote:As a guy, I've only been molested once this year (in an elevator; eat your heart out Sarkesian!)

CorruptUser wrote:Sort of like the Anita Sarkeesian elevator incident. "Hey, I was hit on in an elevator, guys, that's creepy don't do it" somehow was reported as "Oh me yarm HALP SONE GUY CHATTED WITH ME ON AN ELEVATOR HALP RAPE RAPE!!!".
For some reason, I don't entirely trust your version of events.

Return to “Serious Business”