Communication? I am reading it long already.

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

Gustavo Woltmann

Communication? I am reading it long already.

Postby Gustavo Woltmann » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:20 pm UTC

There is a lot of reasonably intelligent discussion going on in this forum. However, some of the things I'm seeing happen lead me to wonder about communication within the group. Primarily, my concern is things like "aimspeak": the 'cud' 'wud' 'shud' 'ur' 'u', etc. For me, and this might be a personality flaw on my part, it's very very difficult to take someone seriously, and to actually listen to the point they're making if they aren't making an effort to communicate in what I consider a proper, formal manner. How important is it to everyone else? am I now to be shunned as a nit-picky freak, or is the act of communication itself essential to what you are trying to communicate... is there ever a "close enough"?

eran_rathan
Mostly Wrong

Re: Communication? I am reading it long already.

Postby eran_rathan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:34 pm UTC

For the most part, you'll see only minor spelling and grammar errors, with the exception of the Time thread and a couple of posters known for unusual methods of communications (addams and Deva in particular - addams speaks in poetry and Deva... is Deva). I would caution you to stay away from the OTTers (Time thread folk), they have created their own language as far as the rest of us can tell.

Regarding the use of 'aimspeak' (or whatever you want to call it), its not a common occurrence here on these boards.
"Trying to build a proper foundation for knowledge is blippery."
"Squirrels are crazy enough to be test pilots."
"Google tells me you are not unique. You are, however, wrong."
rawr!

ucim

Postby ucim » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:44 pm UTC

Bear in mind also that not everyone posts with an actual leopard (oops :) ) keyboard, but instead have to fatfinger their way through a tiny interface, and English isn't always the first language of posters.

And... what does "I am reading it long already" mean?

Jose
Order of the Sillies, Honoris Causam - bestowed by charlie_grumbles on NP 859 * OTTscar winner: Wordsmith - bestowed by yappobiscuts and the OTT on NP 1832 * Ecclesiastical Calendar of the Order of the Holy Contradiction * Please help addams if you can. She needs all of us.

jewish_scientist

Postby jewish_scientist » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:54 pm UTC

This is basically my entire response. When you see something that particularly annoys you, tell the person in a private message. If you do it in the thread itself you could embarrass them, and/or come of as, "just running my sentences past some mental checklist so you can show off how well you know it..."

P.S. It is embarrassing how many times I had to try to spell 'embarrass'. Spellchecker was suggesting stuff like 'bareness', and Heisenberg.

Meteoric

Postby Meteoric » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:32 am UTC

I've spent a lot of time working with kids. Enough to be thoroughly divested of the idea that important thoughts are always communicated formally and properly.

By all means, if you feel that someone isn't meeting you halfway in the attempt to maintain communication, you are not obligated to continue communicating with them. But if you can understand perfectly well what is being said and are just picky about the format of communication that you will accept, I think that's your problem more than theirs. The purpose of communication is to communicate, not to adhere to the list of rules that some people decided should be taught in elementary school classrooms.
No, even in theory, you cannot build a rocket more massive than the visible universe.

Azrael
CATS. CATS ARE NICE.

Postby Azrael » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:27 pm UTC

However, some of the things I'm seeing happen lead me to wonder about communication within the group. Primarily, my concern is things like "aimspeak": the 'cud' 'wud' 'shud' 'ur' 'u', etc

I can't imagine what you've been reading on *this* forum that would engender such a concern. Especially in comparison to the average written content on the rest of the internet.

elasto

Postby elasto » Mon Mar 07, 2016 4:07 am UTC

Azrael wrote:I can't imagine what you've been reading on *this* forum that would engender such a concern. Especially in comparison to the average written content on the rest of the internet.

I concur.

The OP joined, made just the one post and hasn't visited back since - nearly two weeks ago.

It's probably just some kind of bot/spammer - especially as I can find the same sentences cut-and-pasted elsewhere on the net.

Return to “Serious Business”