Differences in media consumption-library thread spin off

For the serious discussion of weighty matters and worldly issues. No off-topic posts allowed.

Moderators: Azrael, Moderators General, Prelates

PAstrychef
for all intimate metaphysical encounters

Re: Differences in media consumption-library thread spin off

Postby PAstrychef » Fri May 20, 2016 12:40 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:though I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'fixed rate at which you move through the world'
Events will happen in real time which have nothing to do with how you perceive it. The sun rising and setting for instance.

We live in a perceptual universe. In a very real sense, if you don't perceive it it doesn't exist.
Don’t become a well-rounded person. Well rounded people are smooth and dull. Become a thoroughly spiky person. Grow spikes from every angle. Stick in their throats like a puffer fish.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Fri May 20, 2016 12:52 am UTC

PAstrychef wrote:We live in a perceptual universe. In a very real sense, if you don't perceive it it doesn't exist.
You live in your reality I will continue to live in mine.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri May 20, 2016 11:37 am UTC

morriswalters wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:though I'm not entirely sure what you mean by 'fixed rate at which you move through the world'
Events will happen in real time which have nothing to do with how you perceive it. The sun rising and setting for instance.
Uh, yes, but that's irrelevant to the discussion about an individuals cognitive load isn't it?
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Fri May 20, 2016 12:34 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Uh, yes, but that's irrelevant to the discussion about an individuals cognitive load isn't it?
Your cognitive load consists of everything that you do or feel or sense. And it goes on the whole time you're conscious. It continues to some degree when you aren't. For each instant you're conscious you're processing the world. Anything else you do adds to that continuous load. And you're doing it in real time. It isn't just you reading your Kindle or driving your car.

I think sometimes I live in a different world. Or maybe I'm just not literate enough to relay what I think.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri May 20, 2016 1:20 pm UTC

Right, but things you don't perceive, i.e., what Bob the Fish did to Sally the Lobster at the bottom of Marina's Trench an hour ago, do not affect your own cognitive load. So pointing out that things happen outside your sensorium is irrelevant to the discussion of how people manage or respond to cognitive load.

I mean, it's an interesting truth to remember, that you aren't the only thing happening in the universe, but it's about as relevant to cognitive load as what's going on on Europa right now is to my heart rate.
... with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Fri May 20, 2016 3:12 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:Right, but things you don't perceive, i.e., what Bob the Fish did to Sally the Lobster at the bottom of Marina's Trench an hour ago, do not affect your own cognitive load.
I'm not speaking in any broad philosophical terms. You evolved to react to the environment as it occurs.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Fri May 20, 2016 3:31 pm UTC

Right, which is why talking about things that happen outside your perceivable environment is irrelevant to a discussion about how you react to your perceivable environment. Cognitive load is independent of things outside of your perceivable environment.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Fri May 20, 2016 4:06 pm UTC

You brought up lobsters, not me. However I'm sorry the sun doesn't rise and set where you are, it does where I live. The temperature changes, dogs try to bite me, I sometimes get sand in my shoes and my hair (what little I have left) gets wet when it rains. All told it keeps my mental processes busy trying to keep up. As I told the other person I'll live in my pocket universe, you live in yours.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon May 23, 2016 3:24 pm UTC

Nono, you brought up stuff happening outside your sensorium, I'm (and PAstrychef too, are) trying to explain why it's irrelevant to a discussion on cognitive load.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Mon May 23, 2016 4:47 pm UTC

morriswalters wrote:
Izawwlgood wrote:Nono, you brought up stuff happening outside your sensorium, I'm (and PAstrychef too, are) trying to explain why it's irrelevant to a discussion on cognitive load.
You evolved to a fixed clock. That is all that meant, nothing more and nothing less. The sun rises and sets, the tides turn and nothing you can do can change that. The way in which it happens has nothing to do with how you perceive it.

Izawwlgood
WINNING

Postby Izawwlgood » Mon May 23, 2016 5:14 pm UTC

So you you're talking about how the time dimension is unidirectional and fixed? I mean, yes? And? Our cognitive load is indeed based on sequential events and actions. We are not 5th dimensional beings.

My reply to your original statement stands - what you don't perceive is irrelevant to a discussion on cognitive load, just like one of the many constants in this discussion is also irrelevant to a discussion on cognitive load. For example, you do not perceive radiowaves, and thus, radio fluctuations are irrelevant to your capacity to manage cognitive load.

Tyndmyr

Postby Tyndmyr » Mon May 23, 2016 6:53 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:My reply to your original statement stands - what you don't perceive is irrelevant to a discussion on cognitive load, just like one of the many constants in this discussion is also irrelevant to a discussion on cognitive load. For example, you do not perceive radiowaves, and thus, radio fluctuations are irrelevant to your capacity to manage cognitive load.

Huh, not sure how the conversation got here from media consumption....

But yeah, we're not talking about objective reality here, just comparing how brains function with different media. Any deltas *have* to stem from perceived differences. Unperceived stuff just isn't relevant.

morriswalters

Postby morriswalters » Mon May 23, 2016 8:40 pm UTC

Izawwlgood wrote:My reply to your original statement stands - what you don't perceive is irrelevant to a discussion on cognitive load, just like one of the many constants in this discussion is also irrelevant to a discussion on cognitive load.
Given that perceive in its broadest definition is anything you are aware of I suppose I must agree.
Tyndmyr wrote:Huh, not sure how the conversation got here from media consumption....
There was a little girl and a rabbit involved.
Tyndmyr wrote:But yeah, we're not talking about objective reality here, just comparing how brains function with different media.
I suggest that my takeaway from this discussion is that media doesn't matter, it's all good.

That stories which are told differently about the same thing aren't comparable. That if every element in a book isn't in the movie that the stories aren't really comparable.

That because books are all text that reading doesn't take a lot of effort.

That vision as a media channel is more efficient when used for books than your ears which evolved to handle speech.

And that if you don't perceive it it doesn't impact your cognitive load, which is true, but which also might indicate that had you managed your resources better you might have perceived that you were going to get hit by that 57 Chevy.

I shall now go back to my pocket universe until later.

Return to “Serious Business”